Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'd even take a spin-off rhythm game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-tAiOVMYFY

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

You know, this would never have happened if y'all had just killed off Zote like I said.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
An accurate summary of this vapourwave shitshoe

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i feel like i'm missing a joke. why is everyone calling it vaporwave

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Cause it sounds like vaporware

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It’s been in development for 5 or 6 years with few updates despite a promise from a year ago that the game would be released by now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The creator of this vid is a goon. So click on it and sub and stuff to support our pals.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Someone in this very thread ranted about the paucity of developer updates, going so far as to call the game a "vaporware shitshow". Someone else mocked the op by calling it a "vaporwave shitshoe", which was the thread title for a time.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Qylvaran posted:

Someone in this very thread ranted about the paucity of developer updates, going so far as to call the game a "vaporware shitshow". Someone else mocked the op by calling it a "vaporwave shitshoe", which was the thread title for a time.

I'm almost certain "shitshoe" was in the original meltdown as a typo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea the original post called it a shitshoe

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

A shitshoe would at least be something tangible.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Qylvaran posted:

lol thank you

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'd had a couple of whiskeys when I shat that post, yeah

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cactus posted:

What an absolute vapourware shitshow.

Thanks for posting so I could redeem myself, Cactus!

(Though I did leave out the "u")

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

:actually: since Team Cherry is from Australia, it is a vapourware shitshoe.

E: fukkin beat

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Kim, don’t do it! That’s the necktie talking! :ohdear:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Interesting that they call it Unity when it's TEARING ME APART

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

guaranteed i'm not the first person to say it but uh, wow, godmaster really wants a lot from me at the end of it huh

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

someone should mod the DON'T FORGET YOU'RE HERE FOREVER sign into godhome

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In actual Silksong news, Team Cherry liked a tweet I did.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1703557021209969064?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/unity/status/1703547752205218265?s=20

:munch:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We have heard you. Silksong will release November 15, 2023.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Calling my shot: 10c per install.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

if a friend helps you find the eternal ordeal then are you really friends

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

when's Zotesong

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The only thing that has even the slightest possibility of not destroying that company is a complete walkback of their position. It doesn't sound to me like that's happening, instead they think there's a line they can tiptoe up to and not cross and developers will acquiesce, and they want to try to guess where it is.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Look what happened with Dungeons and Dragons. Paizo and others are still going ahead with their OGLs. The damage is done. Wizards/Dungeons and Dragons will survive because their context is a bit different but they absolutely killed the OGL in the sense of what it once was. The best case scenario is that the people who currently have Unity-based projects finish them, instead of switching to different engines, but that's really it. No one is going to be so loving stupid as to use Unity going forward for new projects because Unity has just made it clear that, as with WoTC and the OGL, their platform is a trap they can spring whenever the mood strikes them.

I mean the OGL can at least future-proof itself from this fear by including unambiguous legal language making it clear the current terms are irrevocable and apply in perpetuity. I don't believe they've done so. But I don't think Unity even can do such a thing because they release new versions/platforms/products and all that.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

EightFlyingCars posted:

guaranteed i'm not the first person to say it but uh, wow, godmaster really wants a lot from me at the end of it huh

Yeah. It’s a little excessive. I understand wanting to extend playtime but it’s already a lengthy game. Stuffing weird lore and an ending behind this pretty extreme and grindy task is a big ask. I guess the Path of Pain already shows they’re willing to put questionable payoffs behind a lot of suffering but… just a little weird. Bapanada

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
completionism is a disease. Hollow Knight's difficulty curve is designed such that 99.9% of players will eventually reach their limit before exhausting the game, and that rules. i'll probably never beat Pantheon 5 but it's rad as poo poo that it's there if i want to try and perfect my play.

also nothing is locked behind it except a cutscene you can watch on youtube that basically just says "drat, you're a badass, maybe a little too much even." like the message and theme that Godhome's ending is all about doesn't even apply to you unless you're the kind of obsessive player it acknowledges while also sort of making fun of

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

mocking people with obsessive tendencies and/or ruining their fun is not as cool as you think it is

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if your reaction to a video game being hard is "why are you ruining my fun" the problem is you. you're turning an aesthetic choice in a piece of art into a weird moral issue when it absolutely isn't one

e: the extent of the "mockery" is also, like, "the Godseekers are kind of goofy and full of themselves and take doing punishingly hard things for the hell of it super-seriously" and "drat, someone who can beat all the bosses in one go is kinda scary"

it's about as hostile or demeaning as reaching the secret ending is essential to enjoying the game: so close to "not at all" the difference is academic

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 19, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sounds like some yums are dangerously close to getting yucked

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

GimmickMan posted:

mocking people

Image of Hornet with the Git Gud rock but instead of Git Gud it says Touch Grass

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

you'll notice nobody gets like this about the Mr. Mushroom ending, despite the payoff being essentially the same. but that's precisely the point: the only thing that makes the Godhome ending "meaningful" in any sense that the other endings aren't is that it's hard to get there.

if you don't think that challenge-based exclusivity is interesting or worth anything, it shouldn't have any hold on you.

and if you do -- well, the "git gud" is coming from inside the house. all you have to do is listen :v:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

completionism is a disease. Hollow Knight's difficulty curve is designed such that 99.9% of players will eventually reach their limit before exhausting the game, and that rules. i'll probably never beat Pantheon 5 but it's rad as poo poo that it's there if i want to try and perfect my play.

Actually you have to no hit it before you beat it with all bindings to make it glow a special way to perfect the game.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i mean when i found that out i just said "i've had my fifteen dollars' worth of fun" and stayed playing another video game instead. they made a really good game which is 111% my jam and 1% not and frankly i don't see any reason to ask for more than that

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

but there's a cutscene that you won't see unless you check on youtube which means that team cherry hates you personally and only put it in the game to spite you

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

How Silksong started:

How Silksong is going:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
rip Tiso