Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like the upgrade system in Guardians of Galaxy: The final upgrade is unlocked, not with points, but when a character has had an emotional breakthrough and feel confident enough to use the ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The joke relies on the word "chest" having two potentially relevant meanings. Sure, Japan has loads of puns, but they'll depend on different words and pairs of meanings. This is why the Dragon Quest translators are so highly-regarded. Those games are chock full of puns, both visual and textual, and the translators have to figure out how to make oftentimes entirely different jokes, without redoing any of the game art.

The Yakuza games are so good for translations, too. I've played Yak 0 and Like a Dragon and the humour and wordplay is really good.

And coincidentally, Dragon Quest comes up a lot in Yakuza: Like a Dragon because the main hero is a huge fan and imagines his life like a videogame often. It's the in-story explanation for why fights are represented as JRPG-style battles.

But weirdly, the Yakuza series is made by Sega so I was surprised at how often they mention a series by a different developer.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

But weirdly, the Yakuza series is made by Sega so I was surprised at how often they mention a series by a different developer.

I did a double take here, I just assumed Dragon Quest was from Sega so that is kinda weird. I figured it was just the next step in all the throwback Sega arcade stuff they have through the whole series, going to a Sega console game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They got permission to namedrop Dragon Quest directly, as opposed to using a thinly-veiled stand-in like 'Arakure Quest III' in Yakuza 0.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My personal favourite Dragon Quest pun is in Builders 2 - Goldirocks and the Three Bars

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember following the translation effort for Mother 3 as they talked about having to bring around the same sorts of puns for enemies as the original, and the difficulties in trying to figure that out.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I did the larp missions in Saints Row and it’s dumb as hell, and rules.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Morpheus posted:

I remember following the translation effort for Mother 3 as they talked about having to bring around the same sorts of puns for enemies as the original, and the difficulties in trying to figure that out.

ni no kuni is a very mediocre game (art aside) but the pun names for everything are amazing

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Has one of the most incredible cold opens in the history of gaming though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is that the one where you're playing real-world composer Chopin, hallucinating the entire game as he dies of tuberculosis?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

YggiDee posted:

Is that the one where you're playing real-world composer Chopin, hallucinating the entire game as he dies of tuberculosis?

No, that's Eternal Sonata

My ex got me this game one year, some time ago. I hated how creepy and soulless all the party members are. They look like cold, dead, ceramic dolls

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

YggiDee posted:

Ni no Kuni 2 is the game where you play as the president of the US and get isekai-d by way of nuclear attack and one of the first things you do is shoot a bad guy in the head.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

Ni no Kuni 2 is the game where you play as the president of the US and get isekai-d by way of nuclear attack and one of the first things you do is shoot a bad guy in the head.

Ah, so it’s a Saints Row spinoff

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

credburn posted:

No, that's Eternal Sonata

My ex got me this game one year, some time ago. I hated how creepy and soulless all the party members are. They look like cold, dead, ceramic dolls

it has been years since I've played or even remembered this game exists, and I am still mad about how it could've been great but landed on its balls every time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Should be noted that despite sounding interesting ni no kuni is very much not, it's sequel as well

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Heaven's Vault, I just got back to the Withering Palace for the very first time since the last time I played the game in 2020, but this time I've done a lot more talking with people so I've learned a lot more words and uncovered a lot more stuff!

And, uh, :stare: the "robots" are just the souls of the ancients placed into new bodies, huh? :stare:

This game's sense of tranquil exploration so easily slides over to "unsettlingly quiet/calm" in ways that are just perfect. There's a certain point where you can keep going down underneath the Withering Palace, and if you really want to try going straight down the game will eventually stop you, but I only kept going just to see where the boundary would be--I was fully ready to pack my bags and nope the gently caress out of that place

bawk has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Sep 18, 2023

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The joke relies on the word "chest" having two potentially relevant meanings. Sure, Japan has loads of puns, but they'll depend on different words and pairs of meanings. This is why the Dragon Quest translators are so highly-regarded. Those games are chock full of puns, both visual and textual, and the translators have to figure out how to make oftentimes entirely different jokes, without redoing any of the game art.

Famously, Japanese players were briefly convinced there was some sort of secret because of all the messages simply reading "Fort Night", which was just the English language players making a dumb joke

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hattie Masters posted:

Famously, Japanese players were briefly convinced there was some sort of secret because of all the messages simply reading "Fort Night", which was just the English language players making a dumb joke

Their grasp of the message was too weak

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

it has been years since I've played or even remembered this game exists, and I am still mad about how it could've been great but landed on its balls every time

I did like how the final boss was Chopin going crazy and trying to kill the other characters because "I'm the only real person here, you all must die so I can wake up!"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lobok posted:

Their grasp of the message was too weak

Booo!

Content: this is the mushroom set from Elden Ring and I love it. The stems sway when you run!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finally, I can be a fun guy in game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They got permission to namedrop Dragon Quest directly, as opposed to using a thinly-veiled stand-in like 'Arakure Quest III' in Yakuza 0.

Probably a good idea too given the game is practically an ad for Dragon Quest, I imagine there has been a lot of cross-franchise interest as a result.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still say they should have put the whole of DQ in as a minigame.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

Should be noted that despite sounding interesting ni no kuni is very much not, it's sequel as well

Sequel is ok, first one is decidedly not

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

BioEnchanted posted:

I did like how the final boss was Chopin going crazy and trying to kill the other characters because "I'm the only real person here, you all must die so I can wake up!"

yeah, see, that's what I mean. it's got all these cool moments and all this potential, but it refuses to fully commit to its theme

so instead of Chopin being the main character and the game being about his reactions and development, making that moment make sense and flow naturally from his arc, we spend like 3/4 of the game doing anime paint-by-numbers with the generic stock assets (seriously, why was Allegretto the main character) and the heel turn comes out of nowhere

fluffyDeathbringer has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Sep 18, 2023

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

So far the story missions in Saints Row ps5 are still pretty fun and the writing feels like it's hitting it's stride. In the second mission it's a pretty wild time involving a convoy that completely goes haywire and a monster truck gets involved that you gradually strip the armour of away to nothing by firing at it which is a fun visual gag, and it has some amusing dialog, like this one guy who introduces himself as a Maverick, and then by the end of the mission is like "I don't want to be a maverick anymore ;_;" because of how insane things got.

The main character in that game was great. Almost Homer Simpson-esque in their stupidity. I loved the whole gag with the motivational tape saying "be your own Boss," inspiring them to start the gang. "It's just like the car said!"

And then they put the motivational tape on in the car as hype music on the way to the the last mission.

SR wasn't a great game but it was a good comedy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Leal posted:

Finally, I can be a fun guy in game

The most immersion breaking thing in the entire game

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bloodcider posted:

The main character in that game was great. Almost Homer Simpson-esque in their stupidity. I loved the whole gag with the motivational tape saying "be your own Boss," inspiring them to start the gang. "It's just like the car said!"

And then they put the motivational tape on in the car as hype music on the way to the the last mission.

SR wasn't a great game but it was a good comedy.

Yeah I've been liking the writing, and the voice actor I've chosen does a great job. Just cheery enthusiasm with everything, including throwing himself into traffic.

Goddamn is it buggy, though. It's pretty common that the only way I can get out of my car is to crash head on into something and yeet myself out the window.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Roblo posted:

Goddamn is it buggy, though. It's pretty common that the only way I can get out of my car is to crash head on into something and yeet myself out the window.
Was it a bug or were you just driving a Tesla?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CordlessPen posted:

Was it a bug or were you just driving a Tesla?

A simulated Tesla should have a panicked "Pound on the windows to get out" mini-game, instead of the regular exit. It should take twice as long if your car is in the about to explode state.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Roblo posted:

Yeah I've been liking the writing, and the voice actor I've chosen does a great job. Just cheery enthusiasm with everything, including throwing himself into traffic.

It's so much worse in co-op too, which is a shame as that's how I've played every other game in the series that offered it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Heavens Vault actually has a New Game Plus option, so keep going after you finish your first playthrough. You'll retain your translation dictionary, but all the translations get much more complex on each playthrough. (Eg; They'll change from something like "Go Left" to "Venture Forth in a Westerly Direction". Same general thing, but a bit more complex to give you something to decipher a second time.)

Just stopped at the very beginning of the Withering Palace for the night on New Game+, and holy poo poo this owns :allears:

I was overjoyed on my first playthrough when I got to the last island (regrettably, too early. I didn't realize I would be setting up the point of no return when I was and missed an entire site) and found an inscription that just blew the loving doors down with how long it was. I loved seeing such a complex little bit of language to unravel, even if I didn't have enough words to do it properly.

Then when I started New Game+ and got the brooch at the beginning, seeing it change from a two word translation to like seven or more words was :discourse:

I cannot wait to see how complex this gets by the time I finish, and I sincerely hope there's New Game++ so I can just gently caress around a bit more.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I guess I should try getting into Heaven's Vault again? My major issue was that I wanted to freely run around an area and inspect it for clues but instead it felt like I was mostly missing dialogue if I triggered stuff too early, or 'wasting time' by talking about one thing and not another.

Characters chatting as you explore and do stuff worked great in Oxenfree because you talk about feelings while exploring plot, and if you ever want to hold up you can just... stop moving. In Heaven's Vault the chat is about lore and language and the plot is also about lore and language! Or at least that's what I half-remember from like 2 years ago.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

A simulated Tesla should have a panicked "Pound on the windows to get out" mini-game, instead of the regular exit. It should take twice as long if your car is in the about to explode state.
While wildly Self-Driving itself into emergency vehciles.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

bewilderment posted:

I guess I should try getting into Heaven's Vault again? My major issue was that I wanted to freely run around an area and inspect it for clues but instead it felt like I was mostly missing dialogue if I triggered stuff too early, or 'wasting time' by talking about one thing and not another.

Characters chatting as you explore and do stuff worked great in Oxenfree because you talk about feelings while exploring plot, and if you ever want to hold up you can just... stop moving. In Heaven's Vault the chat is about lore and language and the plot is also about lore and language! Or at least that's what I half-remember from like 2 years ago.

Heavens Vault dialog is constantly filled with traps, because the characters will often drop extremely important details through the idle chatter you get by tapping the X/Square and B/Circle buttons while walking around, but if you aren't patiently waiting for the prompt buttons, you can tap the button often used to remark on something a half-second before the prompt to ask a question will appear, and vice-versa. The pauses in conversation are both unnatural at times and extremely important beats of silence. It's like the difference between immediately blurting out something rude or pausing for a second to think about what you're going to say, but it's happening for every question all of the time.

There's also the trap where finding an object will have several back-and-forth comments on it, but the object will use the same "advance dialogue" buttons (X/B at the bottom of your screen) being used for "interact with this object in multiple ways" purposes (X/B with "open box/read inscription" hovering over an object), and if you don't 180 the camera away from the object when you press "X" to ask a question (so the "X to interact" prompt isn't visible) then you'll immediately interact with the object and cut that conversation off/move on with whatever conversation happens from interacting with stuff.

The whole dialogue system clicked for me when I realized that the overarching structure of the idle chatter is essentially 50% Aliyah thinking aloud to herself, 40% trying to slow-boil interrogate Six, and 10% awkward attempts at humor. Dedicated conversations where you can't walk-and-talk are more directly expository, but there's some stuff that I only think I learned because I asked Six a few questions, thought aloud about something we found, and then having a "Eureka" moment.

Also, some prompts will have the button pop up much larger on screen, or will be brightly/boldly colored, and those ones tend to be the big obvious "HEY SAY THIS ONE" options, but you can easily tap an unimportant X prompt just as a bolted, large B prompt appears and it's too late to stop. Mostly, you have to be constantly treating dialogue with the importance it deserves and not tap a response the moment it becomes available. Quite a few times the correct response is to not respond at all, a la Telltale's the Walking Dead

E: and, just to really bring it full circle, rarely the big boldly colored dialogue prompt sucks poo poo but perfectly fits the moment, while waiting for a full second will allow a question prompt to appear. The boldness/size of the button seems to indicate "emotionally-filled exclamations," not so much "this is the correct option" and sometimes Aliyah won't ask an important question because you naturally pressed the button to go ":tviv:"

bawk has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Sep 19, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Croccers posted:

While wildly Self-Driving itself into emergency vehciles.

This feels like the best of Saint's Row general humor crossed with the CP2077 rogue AI cars missions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh Warhammer Total War. This is an event you can get playing as Cathay.

(these are almost certainly the Dragon Emperor and Moon Empress - the godlike rulers of Cathay and the player character's parents - in disguise)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Lies of P is a steampunk-ish Souls-like game where you play as Pinocchio Geppetto's Puppet and fight other automatons. The loading screen says "Lying x%" instead of "Loading x%," and the progress bar is Pinocchio's Geppetto's Puppet's nose getting longer.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Sep 20, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I feel they missed an opportunity if they didn't have NPCS refer to the character as "Varnished", in a Soulslike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just finished the LARPing subplot in Saint's Row. I like how it implies that Gwen accepts that the Boss's firing from Marshall was bullshit because she's like "Mess with my company all you want, just leave my game alone!" implying that she doesn't mind you loving with Marshall because they kind of deserve it. I also love the final boss of that subplot where Gwen starts cheating by claiming hits never registered until you talk her down from that kind of behaviour, it's a cute gag.