Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I am extremely thankful for this much overdue QoL update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Had the same reaction, all Bill & Ted excellent. Hooded Horse is also the best publisher i could've asked for for them

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Here's a weird one I haven't run into before. I'm building a pretty tight section of infrastructure and could save a lot of trouble if trains can route through a train distribution center like they're transit tracks. Can they?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Here's a weird one I haven't run into before. I'm building a pretty tight section of infrastructure and could save a lot of trouble if trains can route through a train distribution center like they're transit tracks. Can they?

I haven't looked but I'm going to just assume off of the top of my head "no", it seems like something you could test by connecting to roads with a vehicle depot.

I would suspect loading and unloading specific stations of any kind are special cased, since vehicles are intended to go through them as part of their functionality, pickup or no.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I haven't looked but I'm going to just assume off of the top of my head "no", it seems like something you could test by connecting to roads with a vehicle depot.

I would suspect loading and unloading specific stations of any kind are special cased, since vehicles are intended to go through them as part of their functionality, pickup or no.

I remembered I have their discord (I never go to game discords) and asked there and allegedly they can.

This saves me from trying to level even more land at my steel mill/mechanical parts facility. I've already disrespected a lot of terrain with terraforming tools here and I wanted to avoid doing even more.

e: Also I don't remember if it was always this way or if/when it was added, but forklifts now have distro center logic applied, which is super useful. Now I can make sure that the mechanical parts factory doesn't eat up every last chunk of steel without needing the whole foot print of an extra distro center and that. (Whether or not 4 forklifts are enough to feed even a half-size (modded) mechanical parts factory, that remains to be seen.)

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 19, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I remembered I have their discord (I never go to game discords) and asked there and allegedly they can.

This saves me from trying to level even more land at my steel mill/mechanical parts facility. I've already disrespected a lot of terrain with terraforming tools here and I wanted to avoid doing even more.

e: Also I don't remember if it was always this way or if/when it was added, but forklifts now have distro center logic applied, which is super useful. Now I can make sure that the mechanical parts factory doesn't eat up every last chunk of steel without needing the whole foot print of an extra distro center and that. (Whether or not 4 forklifts are enough to feed even a half-size (modded) mechanical parts factory, that remains to be seen.)

Fork lifts always felt wildly expensive / extravagant for what you need, to the point that I usually try to minimize or even eliminate them when at all possible.

Why can't we just get a small gauge electric railway to go between two factories if they're too far??? <:mad:>

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Fork lifts always felt wildly expensive / extravagant for what you need, to the point that I usually try to minimize or even eliminate them when at all possible.

Why can't we just get a small gauge electric railway to go between two factories if they're too far??? <:mad:>

I used to only use them to always shove food and meat into big stores, generally because I found it a lot easier to jenga the layouts. Now with some modded storage, even that is marginal.

That said, if it can keep up with the mechanical parts factory, this would be a perfect use for it. What I want is "If we have >x% steel available, fork more into the mechanical parts factory." I can do this with a distro center and may still have to, but this would save some space. You're certainly right that I don't need them but they work here.

I can't think of other situations where they'd make sense, except maybe for something like trying to feed a whole bunch of chemical factories from a single nearby storage...? It really only makes sense for relatively low throughput items and even then only makes sense if it saves space. If you aren't at a premium, a distro center probably does a better job since you need road networks anyway.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I used to only use them to always shove food and meat into big stores, generally because I found it a lot easier to jenga the layouts. Now with some modded storage, even that is marginal.

That said, if it can keep up with the mechanical parts factory, this would be a perfect use for it. What I want is "If we have >x% steel available, fork more into the mechanical parts factory." I can do this with a distro center and may still have to, but this would save some space. You're certainly right that I don't need them but they work here.

I can't think of other situations where they'd make sense, except maybe for something like trying to feed a whole bunch of chemical factories from a single nearby storage...? It really only makes sense for relatively low throughput items and even then only makes sense if it saves space. If you aren't at a premium, a distro center probably does a better job since you need road networks anyway.

I solved this problem in a big manufacturing complex with a dedicated railroad and (modded) small rail distribution center to make an industrial shortline. I'm not necessarily recommending that because it does take a ton of extra space, but it made sense for the amount of factories I had in one place and, more importantly, looked cool as hell. I'm nearly certain I posted it in this thread previously; it's the steel mill and associated factories.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ah yeah, I recall this. I have that mod, but I definitely don't have room for that sort of stuff here. While I've been really digging this map, it's been a lot of frustration to figure out just how much I can shove into the flat areas and flattening like crazy (while trying to keep the general gist of the topography intact.) I'm going to be really struggling when I get to the vehicle production lines and I want to make a big container port for exports. Trying to manage all that and also have room for just general train distros is already really tough. I've been trying really hard to avoid messy areas and already have spots that I don't know how I'm going to clean up in the future. (They'll be fun to troubleshoot!)

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Modded forklift give you a shot and their capacity being usable in a useful way if you are ok with that type of mods. If not, they usually are too slow to manage the required throughput for most application I tried using them.

RDO used to not be crossable by trains but this was changed later.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

supersnowman posted:

Modded forklift give you a shot and their capacity being usable in a useful way if you are ok with that type of mods. If not, they usually are too slow to manage the required throughput for most application I tried using them.

RDO used to not be crossable by trains but this was changed later.

I'll have to look again, but the last time I had looked at those mods they were either too unbalanced or aesthetically unsatisfying (I recall some just replaced the models with trucks, which looked sort of wonky.)

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

I'll have to look again, but the last time I had looked at those mods they were either too unbalanced or aesthetically unsatisfying (I recall some just replaced the models with trucks, which looked sort of wonky.)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2068292305&searchtext=forklift

It use already in-game models but you might find them having too much capacity.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

supersnowman posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2068292305&searchtext=forklift

It use already in-game models but you might find them having too much capacity.

That might be alright, I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

can someone tell me why this train DO, on the bottom left, is telling me it can't find a path to the station at the top

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 20, 2023

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

can someone tell me why this train DO, on the bottom left, is telling me it can't find a path to the station at the top

The signals look ok from what I can see so my next guess is electric locomotive in the DO with no electric tracks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

I can’t see on my tiny phone so maybe supersnowman is right, but unless it’s the electric thing I bet it’s a flipped signal. I gently caress one up every so often and it takes something busting like that for me to notice it.

Also I think you’ve got it right but if you don’t want to break DO logic, you can’t use any conveyor engines between the source/destination storage and the station.

E: also everything looks smoothly connected but you didn’t happen to have any weird jank connections right? There wasn’t any spot that looks just a tiny bit misaligned or angled weird? Again something that doesn’t happen often but sometimes you can do that and not easily notice. (I’ve had this happen more with one lane one ways than railroads though.)

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 20, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it was cause I had one sided chain signals at the station :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's usually the reason for not being able to find a path, wrong signal somewhere.

It would be nice if it had a tool to show its best guess at a path so you could find the problem easier.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

When that construction truck fleet hits.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why don’t my cities look like yours

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

Why don’t my cities look like yours

Have you spent 15 minutes on each building trying to line it up just so?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Have you spent 15 minutes on each building trying to line it up just so?

i have but my cities still look like dogshit, skill issue?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

hailthefish posted:

i have but my cities still look like dogshit, skill issue?

Skill issue.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I forget if it was this thread or my brief lived LP but one random rule that stuck in my head for building was “if the building could somehow tip 90 degrees and fall onto its front face, would it clear the building across from it.” Even if you aren’t strict about this rule it definitely helps spacing in tight areas. I feel like this alone helped me a ton in building high rises.

Also one subtle thing I’ve noticed about a lot of folks builds versus what I tend to do is a sort of managed sprawl. The game, and honestly a lot real Soviet cities I’ve seen tend to end very abruptly. In very open maps it’s easy to just segment cities away from other things. That’s not how I try to build and especially with very vertical maps, I tend to have to pack stuff everywhere. In the “early years” of my save I stuck to brick low rises, which helps everything blend well. This does create a lot more problems with traffic and intracity busses and things, but it tends to look more like what you picture a city being than what you can pack in with 12 story panel flats. Keep things close together, but not choked. Surround that with supporting structures: distro centers, depots, end stations, police and fire stations, etc., and sort of increase the space and foliage as you leave the city center and you get a very much more pleasing “urban density to nature” gradient. I very consciously identify any taller structures I want to build and try to get them centered in the city and avoid getting taller on the edges. (Exceptions here are things like the mod radio towers, or water towers. Nice landmarks thay stand out on the edge of cities.)

I try to build a vaguely tiered road system where divided highways connect major areas and industries, but there’s still some minor connecting “country” 2 lane highways between other areas, and I make sure to mark cities with signs to make sure vehicles slow down and/or avoid them to push them to the bigger roads. This might seem like splitting hairs, but limiting a small urban area around a central traffic circle to a low speed managed to path other cities’ garbage trucks through a seldom used belt road around the city to a recycling and incineration center as opposed to clogging up the urban traffic. For better or worse if you really sit down and get gritty with the game you can get creative. Tools that don’t always seem useful still have niche applications that matter.

I won’t go so far as to say this is right - my cities have plenty of functional problems. (95% traffic, because I love to try and spam personal cars.) They could be about 3x denser and if I gave up certain extremely minor aesthetic decisions I could have way more efficient designs. I’ve seen prettier cities, I’ve seen more efficient cities. The beauty I find in the game isn’t in the layout of your buildings but how that ties into your whole concept and system of your Republic. People have definitely said it before but this is secretly a factory game disguised as a city builder and unlike other factory games I don’t think there’s ever a “solved problem” style blueprint for how to succeed. It’s a perfect sandbox for me and I love scouring screenshots for stuff that I look at and go “what the gently caress is going on” but can slowly learn how someone else approached a problem like “I need to get gravel to a concrete factory” in a way that initially I never considered. jokes on you I’ve built more loving concrete factories than anything in this game, and I’ve gotten to nukes maybe twice.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think it might be time for me to invest in passenger rail...?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Probably! If you aren’t using bus end stations for your lines and they’re getting bunched up, those can help a whole lot too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ohhhh. On an unrelated note I can't get my seperation plant to export plastic waste via a factory connection to a dump and now my coal extraction and industrial grid have collapsed. Any idea whats up with that

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Ohhhh. On an unrelated note I can't get my seperation plant to export plastic waste via a factory connection to a dump and now my coal extraction and industrial grid have collapsed. Any idea whats up with that

I assume you mean that the plastic is just choking the separation that’s choking the industries that need to export waste.

Plastic waste is a bulk good, not a waste good or an aggregate. You may also need to make a “one way” factory connection. I’m not sure why trash needs this, but sometimes it does. Make sure whatever’s linked can handle bulk goods and not other types of resources by mistake.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plastic waste is a bulk good, not a waste good or an aggregate.

But you can tag dumps to accept plastic waste?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

But you can tag dumps to accept plastic waste?

I think that's only applies to it if you filter it at the source, like if you tell citizens to filter their trash, it can be picked up by trucks and that, but once it filters through the separation plant I think its only a bulk good.

I might be wrong, I'm not in game to check. Garbage is a bit finnicky.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

It is beyond time. The large bus station is mainly good for when you need to blast out the 100pax busses to a factory at once, if this is for getting around town you 100% need to start investing in alternatives.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

It is beyond time. The large bus station is mainly good for when you need to blast out the 100pax busses to a factory at once, if this is for getting around town you 100% need to start investing in alternatives.

Also holy, I checked that on my phone and didn't see the crowd there.

Yes, you need trains yesterday.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Once you separate mixed waste the plastic becomes an open storage good and the scrap and construction waste become aggregates. It's a bit of a quirk but good in the end because the vehicles for those types have more capacity and faster loading times.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Put together an elaborate starter city with realistic mode disabled, hoping that having a city ready to go would help me get over the starting hump of "wait 5 game years before you can actually play". Finished planning and placing everything, unpaused the game... immediately found out I'd used the manual build setting for everything out of habit and have to manually auto build every single placed item now. There goes that idea for making things smoother, I guess.

Also, with research precluding some of my usual options, is "clothing factory" back to the best option for a starting republic to make survival money? There really doesn't seem like much else for options.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't there a group select for swapping things to instant build now? Might need to drag the box a few times for a large city but better than individually selecting it in each building.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zedprime posted:

Isn't there a group select for swapping things to instant build now? Might need to drag the box a few times for a large city but better than individually selecting it in each building.

Aha - buried in the UI, there it is. Saves me a lot of time. Now to hope I didn't build past my budget...

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
Any thoughts on diesel vs electric for trains if I intend to have a large underground metro system? I currently have electric trains for my surface export of fuel and bitumen. I've finally hit the point of close to peak efficiency with one refinery(approximately 450 productive loyal workers in there at all times almost always processing the max amount of crude). I've got like five electric trains moving almost at all times plus three for excess coal exports. I notice that when all the trains are moving that I just barely scratch the upper limits of my power generation with one good coal plant. My concern about staying electric with the Metro is that the power demands are gonna shoot past my capacity in a way that causes problems, but I'm worried about doing diesel underground since it means lengthy refuels and junction traffic that delays delivery of Passengers to key industries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't do diesel metro, metro trains are all electric and run on dedicated metro tracks with a third rail, as far as I am aware there is no cross compatibility either way between overheat catenary and third rail vehicles and the game doesn't have any diesel metro vehicles. For obvious reasons it causes issues with gassing the passengers with exhaust fumes.

For conventional rail, since the last patch, I would recommend diesel, because you can buy 150kph diesel locomotives from the americans, which eliminates the main reason to go electric, in my view. As yes a busy electrical network causes major power fluctuations, it is easier to just put a refueling station near major transit hubs.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

For obvious reasons it causes issues with gassing the passengers with exhaust fumes.

Time for smokeless steam locomotives for a really early start!

Also, I'm still not financially solvent because I can't get enough people to get on the drat buses to the factory complex, but the city is growing and the bleeding has mostly stopped:

Oil production just off screen, with the start of a refinery complex underway. Managing two four-wagon trains of oil exports constantly off of one field, so that's stemmed the financial bleeding while I get everything else built in town. Construction complex is also just off screen. At this point I just need more residential space and people. (And a bit more power grid hookups.) Pollution will be a problem, but that's future me's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos

OwlFancier posted:

Helpful info

Ha yes I'll go diesel on my surface trains and use that extra electric capacity for the metro. Perfect! Thanks