Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Considering you can be top tier or near top tier just with US credit cards, elite status is superfluous just from numbers alone.

AMEX Aspire = Hilton Diamond
Bonvoy Brilliant = Marriott Platinum
Chase IHG Premier = IHG Platinum

Military also never pays annual fees with many card issuers so it's kind of an insane deal. Places like Guam and Singapore when there's a lot of military visiting gets flooded with elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
As a Hilton Diamond member I get a daily f&b credit that doesn't even cover breakfast. Though on a trip to Europe I did get upgraded to a suite.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SpeedFreek posted:

I split my stays between ihg and Marriott brands, they're everywhere. Usually hit 75 nights with both and upgrades are rare.

If I went back in a time machine I would have done IHG > Hyatt > Hilton > Marriott.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I just miss Starwood 😭

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah in reality just pick whichever of the major brands has the best coverage for the places you’re likely to travel. I’m Marriott because my old manager was Marriott and that’s where we always stayed. I’ll hit lifetime platinum this year and then I might see what else is out there.

The perks at Marriott aren’t that great but the late checkout and room guarantee at Titanium are convenient. The real reason to solidify on one brand is for the free vacations. Marriott has a huge array of properties across the world so I have no complaints there really.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

taco show posted:

I just miss Starwood 😭

:emptyquote:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I chose Marriott, and then Hotels.com for everything else / where there isn’t a cost effective Marriott option. Free night every ten (based on average cost), IMO it is a better choice than splitting across programs + covers a lot of smaller / weirder little properties in Europe.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

movax posted:

I chose Marriott, and then Hotels.com for everything else / where there isn’t a cost effective Marriott option. Free night every ten (based on average cost), IMO it is a better choice than splitting across programs + covers a lot of smaller / weirder little properties in Europe.

Hotels.com nerfed the rewards program this year. It's now effectively a 2% rebate (up to 6% at select partner hotels, depending on your status). You're now better off using them to price shop and booking a AAA rate directly with the hotel.

Which is a crying shame because the old system was great.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’ve never really investigated hotel loyalty programs, I always focused on flight ones. Are there any hotel loyalty programs particularly worth it? In my new role I expect to spend about 9/12 months every year on the road so it’s worthwhile for me more than it was before.

I think it depends on how much flexibility you have on properties. For example, I mostly travel for meetings held at convention centers/hotels in major cities where the exact location matters a lot, and brand matters less. But some other people's travel patterns involve always renting a car and driving from suburban place X to suburban office Y to do sales calls or whatever. If your travel patterns are the former I think hotel loyalty is more trouble than it's worth.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Beef Of Ages posted:

Hyatt is the only program left with any real value for the top tier (Globalist). They don't have nearly as many properties as Marriott or Hilton, but if you're going to places where there is a Hyatt, I would focus there first and then use another as a backup.

I am lifetime platinum with Marriott and since the merger the value is almost nil.

I agree 100% with this one. If you go places with Hyatts, Hyatt will get you the most bang for your buck, especially with that much travel since Globalist would be a slam dunk (60 nights). Best point redemption of all the programs IMO and I get frequent upgrades. Only downside is the availability of properties.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've had good luck with Booking.com, Agoda and Expedia especially overseas in Asia and Europe but YMMV.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

Hotels.com nerfed the rewards program this year. It's now effectively a 2% rebate (up to 6% at select partner hotels, depending on your status). You're now better off using them to price shop and booking a AAA rate directly with the hotel.

Which is a crying shame because the old system was great.

Awww man, part of that One Key thing? Maybe I need to use my free night before it goes poof, if it isn’t too late…

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ROJO posted:

I agree 100% with this one. If you go places with Hyatts, Hyatt will get you the most bang for your buck, especially with that much travel since Globalist would be a slam dunk (60 nights). Best point redemption of all the programs IMO and I get frequent upgrades. Only downside is the availability of properties.

Best point redemptions for sure but I don't really get frequent upgrades as Globalist myself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
globalist is easily the funniest status tier level so you gotta go with Hyatt, I think

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

movax posted:

Awww man, part of that One Key thing? Maybe I need to use my free night before it goes poof, if it isn’t too late…

Yes, this is one key. They were at least honorable and converted rewards and partial rewards at par to the new system. Your free night is still there and worth what it was worth before.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

globalist is easily the funniest status tier level so you gotta go with Hyatt, I think

Absolutely true

I think I’m at 50 nights at Rosewood properties this year, they’re leaving 2 Peronis on ice when I check in now. Thinking of adding it to my rider the travel agent delivers alongside clients

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

sellouts posted:

Absolutely true

I think I’m at 50 nights at Rosewood properties this year, they’re leaving 2 Peronis on ice when I check in now. Thinking of adding it to my rider the travel agent delivers alongside clients

Rosewood hotels are some of the best in the world. I'm pretty jealous and impressed you pulled off that many nights given their extremely limited footprint. Have they done any outright loyalty recognition at that level other than the welcome amenity?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It varies by property, but depending on the GM I get an insane unpublished rate for personal stays, check in and out whenever I want, I can just call her and get a room vs going to travel agents, if it’s a short stay I have had wild upgrades. If I text her my arrival time they’ll be waiting at the entrance with my keys in an envelope with no check in, no signing for rooms, straight up to the room unimpeded like they do for my clients. Breakfast is comped as part of that rate and if I have a meeting down there they’ll just cover the tab on the table. The bar manager is letting me have a large reservation for my friends when they usually don’t take any.

Fairmont used to be the same way at certain properties. Four Seasons not so much, so I’ve pulled client business away from them to Rosewood and it’s been good. But the limited footprint does make it a little difficult. And the good Four Seasons are great, far better than the bad Rosewood properties (Carlyle, Georgia (I think) in Vancouver…

I spend a lot of other people’s money at these places. I also send the properties I frequent little gifts and such to always thank them for the care and service.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 21, 2023

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Oh and I tip the hell out of everyone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like delta is backing off of those frequent flyer changes:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/delta-ceo-bastian-skymiles-changes/index.html

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

Looks like delta is backing off of those frequent flyer changes:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/delta-ceo-bastian-skymiles-changes/index.html

For now.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
There's also been no indication of what "too far" means in terms of changes to what has been announced. My guess is the qual tiers will come down a bit but it won't be meaningful, and they'll try to add some additional ways to earn MQDs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If they improve choice benefits somewhat I won't complain too much. If everyone's elite no one is, etc.

edit: if the only thing they walk back is letting more people in the lounges I will be extremely annoyed

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Currently trapped in NYC. Terminal A at LGA is completely closed lol.

I’m flying AA out of JFK and my flight isn’t until later so nbd kind of but I can’t physically get to the airport because all the subways are shut down and parts of the roads/highway are just straight up flooded. lol. Hope all y’all are doing better than me.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Just flew through there this morning, looked like it was only sprinkling outside. Good luck getting out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A red coat told me today that LGA flooded

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To distract everyone from the Delta debacle, what does everyone like for a neck pillow? I have no idea how I've gone so long without one, but I'm old now so I want one for the flight to Japan.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm flying out Sunday. I hope the TSA and atc aren't doing a sick-out. But I can't blame them if they do.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sitting on a flight to Europe with our 20 month old and see the guy sitting across the aisle desperately searching for a different seat in the app.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

You should have seen the looks I got bringing an 18-month old into honest-to-god 1st class on a transpac flight. The dude seated directly across from me took it like a champ and said hello to the kiddo.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For some reason, my company only offers Hertz as an option when booking through Concur. We're "discouraged" from using other companies, however, we can book other rental companies if absolutely necessary.

Yesterday, they told us they're piloting a program for a few people, including me (who complained on the recent survey about Hertz), to allow us to use Avis, Enterprise or Sixt. I don't know why National was left out as I've enjoyed renting from them in the past. Either way, these are 3 new options. Anyone have preferences between them? I really don't have an issue with Hertz, but I'm tired of showing up and they have no cars, or only EVs that I don't know how to drive (Tesla) or care to figure out how to recharge (all of them). I don't even care if they're lovely, but I need something that's not going to breakdown. I just want to roll off the plane, stroll into the lot, pick up a CAR (not a truck, minivan or SUV) of my choice and go to the gate. Then return, drop off the car and walk into the airport where I'll get my emailed statement.

I know Enterprise has the thing where they take you to a car and I realize this is probably seen by them as a "luxury", but I'm an adult that doesn't require hand holding. I realize I'm a cranky old man here, but I don't want to talk to anyone or have any interaction - I want to pick what I want without having to go to a desk or have someone choose what I get. Do any of Avis, Enterprise or Sixt offer these options?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

I'm an adult that doesn't require hand holding. I realize I'm a cranky old man here, but I don't want to talk to anyone or have any interaction - I want to pick what I want without having to go to a desk or have someone choose what I get. Do any of Avis, Enterprise or Sixt offer these options?

You aren’t being cranky, you’re being a professional.

I don’t rent all too often but avis will let you just get in the car. Very similar to hertz.

Sixt always requires a counter visit in my experience, but they tend to have a nicer fleet and I don’t mind international rentals with them.

Enterprise sucks for the reason you highlighted. Unless you need a specific vehicle type I would avoid at all costs.

Also I think Avis tends to be the least likely to be off site out of the 3, if you’re at an airport where some are and some aren’t.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
gently caress Avis! Rarely do you just go to a car, you wait at the preferred counter a few hours in the parking garage. Then they give you something that smells strongly of smoke, or something that has wicked stance and the cords showing on the inside of the tires.

Enterprise has mostly base models but they don't make me wait as long, Hertz has nicer cars but you're getting stuck with something electric if your flight gets in late.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

We're "discouraged" from using other companies, however, we can book other rental companies if absolutely necessary.

Can one of those necessary reasons be cost? If so, I have a bunch of National rate codes that you can use to possibly get better rates and not have to deal with Avis, Hertz, or anything else.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Beef Of Ages posted:

Can one of those necessary reasons be cost? If so, I have a bunch of National rate codes that you can use to possibly get better rates and not have to deal with Avis, Hertz, or anything else.

I’d be interested in those

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

I’d be interested in those

Sent.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks all for the info!

Beef Of Ages posted:

Perhaps? I guess, but I’m not sure. Maybe something to do with the insurance we have through Hertz? I’ve never seen it locked down like that. I’ll give the codes a try if you’ve got some!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks all for the info!

Perhaps? I guess, but I’m not sure. Maybe something to do with the insurance we have through Hertz? I’ve never seen it locked down like that. I’ll give the codes a try if you’ve got some!

In my experience, it's usually the fault of lovely business rules entered into Concur by people who don't travel. I'll PM you the link.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Only Hertz has stranded me without a rental. I got Five Star through some credit card match something something. Also, Avis's loyalty program is called fuckin WIZARD which has to count for something for nerds.

Beef Of Ages posted:

I'd be interested as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mandalay posted:

I'd be interested as well

Fire in the hole.