Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

for real, your onboarding sounds like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

gey muckle mowser posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I’m looking for some advice and am finding this impossible to google.

We have about 200 call center agents and they all work exclusively from home - about half in the same city as our main office and the rest scattered across the state. They are issued laptops and basic accessories only (mouse, headset, etc). Our CEO is suddenly stuck on the idea of having IT staff physically go to their homes to set the laptops up for them and show them how to use them (both for new hires and any time someone is issued a new machine)… I have a long list of reasons why I think this is A) a bad idea, and B) completely unnecessary, but I’m looking into it anyway in case I can’t convince him otherwise.

Does anyone have any experience doing anything like this? Is this a thing companies even do? I could maybe see the need if we were installing networking equipment or setting up more complicated desktops, but we’re talking about just a laptop that’s already 99% configured in advance (not to mention that all new hires come through a temp agency and often don’t show up for their first day or quit within the first couple weeks, making this even more of a waste of time).

My proposed alternative is to have them come into the office for their first day or two and we’ll do in-person training on the equipment there. Even that seems unnecessary to me as our current system of just FedExing the laptops is already working fine, but at least it’s not nearly as disruptive. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Point out the cost for work trucks or the reimbursement cost legally for using an employees' car, reduced availability for techs en route, possibility for overtime and the reduced esse of getting staff willing to travel and the premium to attracting them. Compare these numbers to the current system and ask for a budget increase if the fucker keeps going with it.

FWIW my work has staff come into the office if they're within 20 miles of it, or does all-remote IT training if they're further out.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Point out the cost for work trucks or the reimbursement cost legally for using an employees' car, reduced availability for techs en route, possibility for overtime and the reduced esse of getting staff willing to travel and the premium to attracting them. Compare these numbers to the current system and ask for a budget increase if the fucker keeps going with it.

FWIW my work has staff come into the office if they're within 20 miles of it, or does all-remote IT training if they're further out.

I was actually gonna guess this was you tokin before I looked at the avatar.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

gey muckle mowser posted:

Does anyone have any experience doing anything like this? Is this a thing companies even do?

lmao, wtf, no it’s not normal. If orientation is that important, they can drive in for a day.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I've only have heard of someone doing this once (i.e. drive out to someone's home for IT support) at my current job, and it was at their old job for a big name lawyer right as COVID hit. No one is driving out to some call center employee to show them how to use Outlook.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do not, under any circumstances, go to anyone's house unless your job is fixing poo poo at people's houses.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Do not, under any circumstances, go to anyone's house unless your job is fixing poo poo at people's houses.

Also don't go to families houses to fix their poo poo either.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

jaegerx posted:

How hard is your software that you can't just whip up a 60 minute training video on it and just ship it to their house?

We’re not even talking the talking the software they use for taking calls or assisting callers, they already receive several days of training on all that. This would just be like showing them how to like, connect to their network, log into Windows and open their email/Teams I guess? Which I already have very clear and simple instructions on how to do that no one has ever had trouble following.

johnny park posted:

Your CEO sounds like a moron

He’s not really about most things, just extremely out of touch with how any of this works and stubborn when he gets an idea in his head.

tokin opposition posted:

Yeah I’ve got all that stuff written out already and it’s a long list of cons vs an extremely short list of pros. He’s just stubborn and I’m trying to anticipate any curveballs he counters with

jaegerx posted:

for real, your onboarding sounds like poo poo.

Yep. I started here about a year into the pandemic and it was a complete mess, like a lot of places they were forced to go from entirely on-site to entirely remote with very little notice and did not do a good job of it, to say the least. I’ve whipped the IT side of things into shape quite well I think since then, which makes this even more baffling as I don’t know what problems this is supposed to be solving. Even the most computer illiterate people don’t need help plugging in their headset and double clicking on the Teams icon. :psyduck:

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
In home support should held to the C-levels at MOST, and even then you shouldn’t ever send one person out, treat it like the FBI and send two people so they can testify to what they did/didn’t do. If it’s not important enough for two people to go it doesn’t need to be done. you send one guy and then someone notices something missing in the home you’re gonna have a shitfit. God help you if there are minors around or hell even pets, you absolutely want to be able to have someone able to attest to your actions.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Internet Explorer posted:

I’ve already told the SVP of my department I am absolutely not doing this, and he seems to be in agreement but as far as I can tell hasn’t actually voiced that to the CEO?

Thanks all for confirming that I’m not crazy and that this is a very bad and dumb idea.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Oh from your post I assumed you were the senior and you needed to come up with ways to convince the CEO not to do this. Your boss should be shielding you from this kind of insanity and if they're not then it's time to start looking. 100% agreed with IE that you should never ever go to someone's house working in corporate IT

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Unless you’re employing senior citizens and good on you for that but my mom has figured out password managers and 2fa so that’s no excuse to go to a house to help them login. Now are you subsidizing their internet and need to open vpn ports maybe. I block all my call home poo poo at my router but that’s cause I hate the man watching me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think you're going to find it hard to find something that says "best practice, do not send your IT people to employee's houses to do IT," but if it gives you any ammo, this is what Microsoft is learning towards. They don't even want you to touch a computer before you send it. Just drop ship and make it easy enough for people to onboard themselves.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/autopilot/windows-autopilot

There's even a 2 minute video of there, just short enough to send to a CxO.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/videoplayer/embed/RE4C7G9?autoplay=false&postJsllMsg=true

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

it's very rare that all the X everything thread agrees on something.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

All CEOs Are Dumbasses

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I mean what a loving bad idea.

Besides all the other great points people have made,

What if the tech sent is a creeper? What if the new hire is a creeper? What if the tech bricks the new hire’s personal equipment?

Compared to the alternative of “watching a video” or “driving in for onboarding” that’s a whole clusterfuck of poo poo

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tehinternet posted:

What if the tech sent is a creeper? What if the new hire is a creeper? What if the tech bricks the new hire’s personal equipment?

Why you gotta take it that way? Yeah I took some underwear when I was working at a MSP but they fit me really well.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I had to go setup a router at the CEO's apartment once, but I had to do a wicked piss while I was there and I'll never forget the look on his wifes face when I said I needed to use their bathroom. it was like a mixture of shock and disgust

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

jaegerx posted:

How hard is your software that you can't just whip up a 60 minute training video on it and just ship it to their house?

The market leader in call center soft phones is Avaya and it is one of the worst pieces of technology I have ever had to use.

Not having to use it is in fact a plus for my in office days

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you expect to have a high turnover in this sector then deploy virtual desktops and give people a USB headset to use, and have them log in using their home PC.

If they’re a more long term role then autopilot is the way to go, as mentioned. If you have such a fragile technology stack that in-person hand holding is required then that’s not a job suitable for WFH.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tokin opposition posted:

All CEOs Are Dumbasses

Yeah, this

jaegerx posted:

Why you gotta take it that way? Yeah I took some underwear when I was working at a MSP but they fit me really well.

And that wasn’t about you, you made that poo poo work

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would rather die than go to random employees' houses. My old boss used to go to the CEO's house and I thought that was an inappropriate ask, although of course I understand the concept of knowing which side your bread is buttered on. But random employees? Hell no. Who knows what kind of disgusting goon cave you are walking into? Who knows whether their dog really "doesn't bite"? Who knows what you might get hurt on in their house?

abigserve posted:

I had to go setup a router at the CEO's apartment once, but I had to do a wicked piss while I was there and I'll never forget the look on his wifes face when I said I needed to use their bathroom. it was like a mixture of shock and disgust

This is quite weird though, why on earth would they care about this

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The rich hate the poor

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

The rich hate the poor

It cannot be overstated how much of a different universe rich people are to us.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We moved to an island of semi-affordable apartments in a sea of 1-2 million dollar homes earlier this year and watching these pricks go about their lives really turns my stomach. Like I got no insight into their actual lives but the way they look at me as I walk past their coffee shop and they talk down at people working a register is so disgusting. The ways they exert their power to get public funds spent on their roads and parks is even worse, I've been lower middle class/middle class most of my life and poo poo that wouldn't see maintenance for 10 years gets fixed in three days here.

gently caress the rich.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

only two classes: working class (you, me, anyone with a job) and owning class (your landlord, boss's boss's boss's [...] boss, and copyright holders) and the earth is only big enough for one of e'm

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We're going that way. We want Zero Touch, CDW just drop ships to the new hire, they sign in to orientation on a personal device for training. The training is 45-75 minutes and covers using the VPN, changing your temp password, getting Chrome Sync going, a quick review of gmail and calendar, and links to handy resources. Zero touch won't cost us much time on training, which is my group's problem, but should save resources on imaging and configuration.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

tehinternet posted:

You got all your execs to actually use MFA? Impressive

I've had good luck with "insurance won't cover us if it's not everyone". The quickest way I've ever gotten security stuff through the ruling class is by implying that it might gently caress with their money if we don't do it.

In the same vein, send-people-to-homes CEO should run the idea by a liability attorney.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did a job at some rich assholes house, the type of person who employs a housekeeper, and was told there was a specific toilet to use. Anyway I misheard the directions and skidded up one of the family bogs. No regrets.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Does your CEO plan on paying mileage rates and time during travel across your state? Are there fleet cars? Is everyone cleared and approved to travel? Do you have a plan for drug testing the employees who have to drive, esp if you're in a state with recreational cannabis, to ensure compliance with state and federal transportation laws? Are you making it a requirement for new hires in IT to be able to drive long distances regularly?

Having worked as an traveling consultant, I don't think your CEO has accounted for the amount of dead time he's going to be paying for while IT is loving around on the road. Start pointing out the cost based on non productive hours alone and I bet the old person brain gives up on the idea.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has anyone come up with a solution for god damned WSD printer ports? Is there something I can do on the network end to make them not gently caress themselves constantly? Last I checked I dont believe there's a way to remove this terminally troublesome issue. Were they created with some well meaning intention to create tickets and keep computer touchers employed?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I did a couple of computer dropoffs for people at their houses around work, but it was always for an extenuating circumstance and I never went inside. They basically come out to my truck and hand the laptop to them. One of them had a husband with early onset dementia and the other had a bedridden spouse.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

codo27 posted:

Has anyone come up with a solution for god damned WSD printer ports? Is there something I can do on the network end to make them not gently caress themselves constantly? Last I checked I dont believe there's a way to remove this terminally troublesome issue. Were they created with some well meaning intention to create tickets and keep computer touchers employed?

There is no such thing as a trouble free printer. Thermal printers are like the most low maintenance simplest model possible and dealing with them is still like a third of my workday

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I just wish printers would gently caress off forever. My job is corralling electrons, not fibers and ink. Call the copier tech for that poo poo man.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Vargatron posted:

I did a couple of computer dropoffs for people at their houses around work, but it was always for an extenuating circumstance and I never went inside. They basically come out to my truck and hand the laptop to them. One of them had a husband with early onset dementia and the other had a bedridden spouse.

Yeah that was the most I did for some people when the office was closed , had the laptop shipped to my house configured it and then they picked it up from my car/a local coffee shop where my boss paid for my overpriced pour over and milage to get there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

only two classes: working class (you, me, anyone with a job) and owning class (your landlord, boss's boss's boss's [...] boss, and copyright holders) and the earth is only big enough for one of e'm

What if I'm your landlord what does that make me

PS - please stop putting "full gay communism now" on the memo line of your checks thanks

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

KillHour posted:

What if I'm your landlord what does that make me

PS - please stop putting "full gay communism now" on the memo line of your checks thanks

You'd be chemically dependent on cocaine, annoying to talk to, and what's a check? Is that an X feature?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

landlording is insidious because it is positioned as a bridge between the owner class and the worker class

however, most people aren't going to ever finish crossing that bridge and it only accomplishes sewing division in the worker class

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

codo27 posted:

The solution I've always used is "create a tcp/ip port and bind the printer to that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes but I almost always set the printer up that way, but then Windows hijacks the process at some point and assigns it this WSD bullshit, which inevitably fails. Thats the worst part! Printers are the bane of our existence, but its actually Windows that fucks up in this case and creates the most issues. The Sharp machines we have right now have been great and have resulted in very scarce calls about them.