Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Blockhouse posted:

That was the Shao from Titan Shang Tsung's timeline. Regular Shao gets arrested off-screen and breaks out of prison in his arcade ending.

Ahh drat, that makes more sense given the appearence tbf lol. I just assumed him and him alone was the main version for some reason lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You know it's weird that given the four foundational pillars of Mortal Kombat's inspiration are martial arts movies, 80's action, gorey horror movies, and comic books that we've never gotten any guest characters from the first one unless you want to count the Ip Man-ficiation of Kung Lao (which I don't despite it being super cool)

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
put in police story jackie chan

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

You know it's weird that given the four foundational pillars of Mortal Kombat's inspiration are martial arts movies, 80's action, gorey horror movies, and comic books that we've never gotten any guest characters from the first one unless you want to count the Ip Man-ficiation of Kung Lao (which I don't despite it being super cool)

JCVD is in this one

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Really strange choice to give you three variation slots per character but not let you toggle between them on the character select screen. Really strange. Because I definitely want to set up three distinct looks, one of which might be a full conversion since that's how the JCVD skin works, and then back out to the loving customize menu and dig in each time I want to swap? I definitely couldn't possibly have silly ones (like, again, a JCVD skin) that I want to switch to on a lark sometimes), come on.

Also, story mode spoilers, I was mostly joking before but the next generation characters making a cameo in the finale only to get brutally slaughtered without effort really does make it feel like active animus.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Stallone and Schwarzenegger were both in mk11, it doesn't get any more 80s than that.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
So does bi-han (kp2 leak spoilers) doing the cyber stuff imply that he cybers himself and we get cyber-noob actually

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you want a pretty MK-aligned martial arts movie, 2018's The Night Comes For Us is really loving good and brutal as hell. It's almost like martial arts/slasher horror combo, it's tight.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
JUDGE DREDD oh yeeah! That would be so cool especially with Havik basically being Judge Death.

gently caress it just do Fear Death Mortis and fire.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's been long enough, where's Bruce Leroy

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

There's also plenty of mention about some kind of fantastic armor. I don't think it relates to Cyrax and it's not Takeda, as he's intrigued by it. Could easily be someone like Doomslayer.

Ah, finally, it's Cole Young's time to shine.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Theres now a partial datamine of the story expansion script lol and also seems we're getting different seasonal fatalities :eyepop:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Fantastic armour eh? That guy from Vanquish? Yoshimitsu? (Oh god)

Mean machine? (Double oh god)

Yeah i know these are never going to happen but it’s fun to imagine.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
I think that armour stuff/ fantastic armour is actually the cyber ninjas stuff, just this time its more iron man than robots. You can see them building it in subs ending apparantly (not seen it myself tbh)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Boon is very strategic about rotating klassic kharacters out to KP land so it would not surprise me at all if the Cassie & Jade rumors were true, since they have never been DLC before. These were my mains in MK10/11 respectively so I will definitely pay 30bux or however much for them. The alleged guest characters I couldn't care less about, wake me up when they put in She-Ra (Masters of the Universe version).

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

exquisite tea posted:

Boon is very strategic about rotating klassic kharacters out to KP land so it would not surprise me at all if the Cassie & Jade rumors were true, since they have never been DLC before. These were my mains in MK10/11 respectively so I will definitely pay 30bux or however much for them. The alleged guest characters I couldn't care less about, wake me up when they put in She-Ra (Masters of the Universe version).

They are more than true the datamine has tons of intro text for them with their names before dialouge, suggesting they are further along than the others. The guest character ones amd other klassics have error for their names so its more guest work for them. Also the conan ome could be he-man and theres an "unknown girl" character

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was enjoying the story and roster being relatively free of the overwhelming military / guys with guns poo poo from the last 2 games and focusing on the Outworld wuxia stuff but I guess it wasn't gonna last lol. MK1 for all its flaw so far has such a strong thematic presence with the roster and they're just gonna gently caress it all up by putting those superheroes in it anyway.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

DLC Inc posted:

I was enjoying the story and roster being relatively free of the overwhelming military / guys with guns poo poo from the last 2 games and focusing on the Outworld wuxia stuff but I guess it wasn't gonna last lol. MK1 for all its flaw so far has such a strong thematic presence with the roster and they're just gonna gently caress it all up by putting those superheroes in it anyway.

What do you mean, the theme is making money. And that poo poo will make them money. So it's pretty thematic if you ask me.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Cassie is back, I wonder how she'll tie into the story/pre-fight banter(Takeda too, for that matter). Are they just from another timeline, or are they from the main timeline? Did Johnny and Sonya just have a one night stand years ago or something?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rhonne posted:

If Cassie is back, I wonder how she'll tie into the story/pre-fight banter(Takeda too, for that matter). Are they just from another timeline, or are they from the main timeline? Did Johnny and Sonya just have a one night stand years ago or something?

She will literally be a Johnny/Sonya combined character from the final chapter, it just makes too much sense!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Maybe it's some like Parallel universe fix stuff like Star Trek?

Like in their universe Liu Kang's shenanigans are starting to destroy things, so they sent the Kombat kids to fix it?

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Its titan cassie, so cassie from mkx/11 timeline, and her version of kombat kids (pretty sure their in her ending iirc

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Rhonne posted:

Why do you think they'll tie into the story at all?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Panderfringe posted:

Well, I mostly meant stuff like the pre-fight banter and arcade ending. That stuff has all tied into the story for the main roster.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Panderfringe posted:

I'm agreeing with people that I think an Aftermath like DLC is coming, especially with those dlc leaks

Hasn't Cyrax canonically been able to travel through time before?

You know if we do get Cassie, Noob, Cyrax, Jade, Harumi, Kung Jin I can live with that, if we then get the other guest wierdos as well I guess.

Would have liked to see some more 3D updated wierdos, maybe new Fujin, but eh

Not going to lie Cyber Noob or Cyber Sub would be pretty sweet

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 18, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

CapnAndy posted:

Also, story mode spoilers, I was mostly joking before but the next generation characters making a cameo in the finale only to get brutally slaughtered without effort really does make it feel like active animus.

There is a deleted scene someone found that has them rampaging through a bunch of others before Kitana shows up. Why would that have been cut?!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Story Ending Spoilers:

The tonal shift to Armageddon was so loving jarring for me. Going by in game explanation as well: Titans can't be resurrected, and Kitana basically says that he's her Liu Kang from the 2nd Timeline, then we face an actual army of jobbers from various universes, so are they titans or just standard jobbers?

Also on Baraka:

In the older games of MK was Baraka just always a Tarkatan or was he infected with Tarkat? If no, then gently caress Liu Kang really was just as bad as Raiden lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Diabetic posted:

Also on Baraka:

In the older games of MK was Baraka just always a Tarkatan or was he infected with Tarkat? If no, then gently caress Liu Kang really was just as bad as Raiden lol

Tarkatans were previously a species, not victims of Monster Leprosy (which I'm pretty sure wasn't a thing until this game).

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Diabetic posted:

Story Ending Spoilers:

The tonal shift to Armageddon was so loving jarring for me. Going by in game explanation as well: Titans can't be resurrected, and Kitana basically says that he's her Liu Kang from the 2nd Timeline, then we face an actual army of jobbers from various universes, so are they titans or just standard jobbers?

Also on Baraka:

I actually think Liu Kang loving up everything just like Raiden is great tbh

Because of course he would. His idea of "oh I'm just going to give the people I like great lives, gently caress these other jerks" of course is doomed to fail. His New Era is already showing fault lines and old cycles starting back up again, because he couldn't let his own anger towards the Sorcerers and Shao Kahn in particular go, and got resentful in setting up their lives, making it extremely easy for them to want to go bad.

I kinda dig that Liu Kang's own pettiness from the past may ultimately be the undoing of all his hard work. That could be very fun

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Diabetic posted:

Also on Baraka:

There's a pre-fight exchange where Liu Kang says Tarkat was not his design. It just kind of manifested naturally.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually think Liu Kang loving up everything just like Raiden is great tbh

Because of course he would. His idea of "oh I'm just going to give the people I like great lives, gently caress these other jerks" of course is doomed to fail. His New Era is already showing fault lines and old cycles starting back up again, because he couldn't let his own anger towards the Sorcerers and Shao Kahn in particular go, and got resentful in setting up their lives, making it extremely easy for them to want to go bad.

I kinda dig that Liu Kang's own pettiness from the past may ultimately be the undoing of all his hard work. That could be very fun

That all is kind of my favorite part of it.

Shang Tsung:

The MOMENT they mention Shang Tsung, you see Liu's face loving contort into "This BITCH" look.

People that are missing or just kind of have the same stories:

Liu really didn't do his homework at all, I'm sure the only thing for Kano he did was keep Shang down, so Kano never met him, Sonya and Jax are probably still forever chasing him. Shinnok doesn't exist since Kronika doesn't. Kombat Kids will never be born cause Liu was undead at the time so he never really knew them other than fighting them briefly as jobbers. Jerrod, Liu just saw as "dude I never met he dies anyway." Mileena was Kitana's sister right? Ok she's still around but I'll just make Tarkat a thing so that eventually she'll look how I remember her. I miss Raiden, I'll just make him a dude born in Earthrealm. I didn't like learning martial arts from the old fat guy Bo Rai Cho, I'll make him a nice old lady. I thought Sub Zero was cool, fine I'll make him and Scorpion brothers, but gently caress Hanzo or whoever that guy is.

Liu used a cliff notes version of the universe.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Like I find it so interesting that Liu Kang had the choice of making Shang Tsung, Quan Chi, and Shao have any life he wanted, these people ARE NOT his timeline's villains, just blank slates, and he could not resist taking some form of revenge on these dudes who didn't even have to turn out this way. They were potentially entirely new people that he hosed over and inadvertently recreated, because he was being petty

I just wish the story played with this more, because it's the most interesting part.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 18, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Like I find it so interesting that Liu Kang had the choice of making Shang Tsung, Quan Chi, and Shao have any life he wanted, and these people ARE NOT his timeline's villains, and he could not resist taking some form of revenge on these dudes who didn't even have to turn out this way. They were potentially entirely new people that he hosed over and inadvertently recreated, because he was being petty

I just wish the story played with this more, because it's the most interesting part.

Shao:

Ok Shao, I'm gonna make you a thin little sickly bitch since I knew you as a BIG BOY, also I'll give you daddy issues.

Quan Chi:

Ok, I'm gonna just have you go from some notes Johnny had about Quan Chi looking like the villain from the Temple of Doom movie he always talks about, but he's gonna work in the mines instead of being the Priest.

Shang Tsung:

You're gonna eek out an existence selling juices.

Also another thing that wasn't rightly explained is that Shang Tsung when he fights transform into his old man version in and out, which makes no sense, as the opening cutscene shows he uses that look as a disguise and it was just make-up.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm agreeing with people that I think an Aftermath like DLC is coming, especially with those dlc leaks

Hasn't Cyrax canonically been able to travel through time before?

You know if we do get Cassie, Noob, Cyrax, Jade, Harumi, Kung Jin I can live with that, if we then get the other guest wierdos as well I guess.

Would have liked to see some more 3D updated wierdos, maybe new Fujin, but eh

Not going to lie Cyber Noob or Cyber Sub would be pretty sweet

Its not only coming, but half the script for it is in the switch datamine

Its about : (real spoilers for next story mode) the lin kuei and bi-han. Got iron man cyrax and sektor and It has kuai langs marriage with harumi getting attacked by frost/unknown female titan havik captures bi-han and turns him into noob. Theres a redemption arch for bi-han/noob too. With female becoming grandmaster. Might not be the only story dlc

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Its about : (real spoilers for next story mode) the lin kuei and bi-han. Got iron man cyrax and sektor and It has kuai langs marriage with harumi getting attacked by frost/unknown female titan havik captures bi-han and turns him into noob. Theres a redemption arch for bi-han/noob too. With female becoming grandmaster. Might not be the only story dlc

That's actually pretty loving cool

Okay I'm fine with that

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Really when you think about it Liu Kang did his job great and things only went wrong because of evil schemes by gods from another dimension.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I know it's been said to death on this one but I think, had they had enough time, the New Era would've been more focused on the past with the first Kung Lao. They had to change it at some point to just use the standard roster as the template.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Shang Tsung talk: I think it’s unclear whether Shang Tsung et al were being explicitly punished with awful lives or if Liu Kang just gave them humble lives without superpowers, and Shang is just so intrinsically a little poo poo that he still immediately turned around and started selling bottled piss to sick little kids because it would give him even the smallest advantage in life.

We know that even after explicitly billions of timelines Kronika still couldn’t predict or control everyone

Orv
May 4, 2011

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Wait yeah actually a few(?) scenes from the Lin Kuei trailer weren't actually in base story mode so that'd make sense.

I might just be thinking of some non-story stuff they stuck in there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Diabetic posted:

Shao:

Ok Shao, I'm gonna make you a thin little sickly bitch since I knew you as a BIG BOY, also I'll give you daddy issues.

I think it's pretty funny that this inadvertently shows that Shao is actually a natural and determined leader and could have maybe even been a good person if he was given the chance at an actual better life, but instead Liu thought he was punishing him, and Shao completely surpassed the circumstances he was given and became a power monster anyway, only now he has a massive chip on his shoulder

He made him even WORSE than before

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Really when you think about it Liu Kang did his job great and things only went wrong because of evil schemes by gods from another dimension.

It's not though. It's pretty clear all the cracks were already forming even without God Shang's trickery, it seems like the cycle was going to happen in some way at some point.