Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Cody's a goof but a likable goof. The only thing I hate Cody for is not liking Metal Gear Solid 2, I should have known he would leave as soon as I heard that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
I think Pylons put it best for me. I feel like he wasted a bunch of my time. Sure his individual segments could be entertaining in a vacuum, but there was obviously no overarching plan with any of it. You might say he turned heel, but so what? There was never any payoff. He was on the precipice of a great heel turn in AEW and just left to go to WWE and do what I personally think is a very boring character archetype in any entertainment media.

I don't hate Cody though. I don't hate any wrestlers, and if I was gonna start there's dozens that I'd start hating before Cody. I'm more just disappointed in him.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hate about four wrestlers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hate about four wrestlers

Evil Uno
Alex Reynolds
John Silver
Emi Sakura

Checks out

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I like the way he says “Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels”

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I like Cody, I was very sad to see him retire in 2022.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cody smashing the throne in AEW is the only good thing Cody has ever done

Oh, and "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, I guess

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Cody smashing the throne in AEW is the only good thing Cody has ever done

so unbelievably wrong it's sickening

ended racism
got kicked in the face by malarky blech
jumped through a table while on fire
got beaten up by Mr Brodie King
said "the heartbreak kid shawn miiiiichaels"
booked a disastrous worked weigh-in with the big slow paul shite

he was king

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

don’t forget when he brought the band that plays his theme song to play it live on tv

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Cody getting a cop tattoo, explaining it meant he'd stuck his neck out for AEW and would never ever abandon it, then fleeing from it to the comforting embrace of papa h the second he could.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

so unbelievably wrong it's sickening

ended racism
got kicked in the face by malarky blech
jumped through a table while on fire
got beaten up by Mr Brodie King
said "the heartbreak kid shawn miiiiichaels"
booked a disastrous worked weigh-in with the big slow paul shite

he was king

Did a figure four on top of a tour bus

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

cody accepting the great entertainer, even better man, and champion of the people award

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Rob posted:

The problem with Dom is that they keep having him wrestle like a high flying lucha guy and he sucks rear end at it. In lucha he’d be a great base but because it’s wwe and no one works lucha there he should just lean into being bigger and just start hitting dudes hard. He only lands like 30 percent of his acrobatic stuff so why even have him keep doing it.

They won't do this because Vince thinks it's funny to highlight talents' weaknesses

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Roman Reigns posted:

don’t forget when he brought the band that plays his theme song to play it live on tv

I rewatched this last night to see if it was as bad as I remember and it was a lot worse.

The way he turns his head to reveal his tattoo, as the worst live music performance in wrestling history is happening, and then he’s joined by like 12 people in Nightmare Family jackets. Even though he has tried to reveal it for over a minute, the camera never really gets a closeup until he’s in the ring and it just looks so loving bad lmao. He had to have gotten it touched up since because I do not remember it looking so bad.

It’s genuinely one of the funniest and most cringe moments in wrestling history that wasn’t someone directly botching something like Shockmaster.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It’s sad that WWE doesn’t think Cody’s wife can bring anything to the table

She can ring announce pretty good!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

JUNGLE BOY posted:

as the worst live music performance in wrestling history is happening,

Worse than the DX Band version of the Star-Spangled Banner?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The neck tat looked worse when he debuted it because it was all shiny and new

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have always liked cody rhodes

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It’s genuinely one of the funniest and most cringe moments in wrestling history that wasn’t someone directly botching something like Shockmaster.

It still makes me laugh to think about it, and the reactions in the live thread were loving gold.

In retrospect, its probably one of the first signs that Cody is not always a good decision maker in wrestling. Aside from the neck tattoo debut of course

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Worse than the DX Band version of the Star-Spangled Banner?

It's definitely not worse than that. The only thing in that stratosphere is that Motorhead performance of My Time where Lemmy forgets all the words because the expectations were higher.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cody wrestling another sweaty dude on gross dirty canvas with a reasonably fresh tattoo could have ended a lot worse than it did tbf

Although after seeing him wrestle through his broken titty, there’s every chance we’d have seen him try to wrestle through turbo-staph

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's definitely not worse than that. The only thing in that stratosphere is that Motorhead performance of My Time where Lemmy forgets all the words because the expectations were higher.

Lemmy forgot the words to The Game on two different occasions but who is gonna tell Lemmy he can’t just sing whatever he wants

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love tattoos. I have 18 of em. I think Brody looks cool, Malakai looks cool, CM Punk looks cool. Cody's problem is he has one giant one on his neck. He needs to get more or it needed to be smaller and like on his finger.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

History Comes Inside! posted:

Lemmy forgot the words to The Game on two different occasions but who is gonna tell Lemmy he can’t just sing whatever he wants

John Downstait has similar tenure.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

projecthalaxy posted:

Cody getting a cop tattoo, explaining it meant he'd stuck his neck out for AEW and would never ever abandon it, then fleeing from it to the comforting embrace of papa h the second he could.

I thought his explanation was more "this is my brand, and I'm going to show that I proudly stand behind myself and my brand, by getting this ugly neck tat that even my wife doesn't like"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Seams posted:

The neck tat looked worse when he debuted it because it was all shiny and new

Also because he did the press and Starrcast or whatever all weekend with a scarf around his neck hiding his secret shame. We all knew it was there but didn’t know how huge and obnoxious looking it would be.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Frankly it would have been fine if he got in on the back of his neck, it's just so garish and asymmetrical that it throws off his whole look

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shard posted:

I love tattoos. I have 18 of em. I think Brody looks cool, Malakai looks cool, CM Punk looks cool. Cody's problem is he has one giant one on his neck. He needs to get more or it needed to be smaller and like on his finger.

That imo is the problem, he has the neck, he has dream written on his titty, but not many others

He doesn’t quite need the double sleeves of skulls like orton did, but a sleeve of dusty and goldustin and cody references could be well done

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tattoo stars on his bitch hide in readiness IMO

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Lemmy not giving a poo poo to learn the lyrics of that dumb song and just winging it is more proof that he's the GOAT

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Drowning Pool did a live version of The Game that was pretty bad and they didn't have the excuse of their frontman being Lemmy.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the lead singer for drowning pool was gassed before he even took the stage for that performance lol

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joey McChrist posted:

the lead singer for drowning pool was gassed before he even took the stage for that performance lol

No, it was his heart, not asphyxiation

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Remember when they had the DX band do the national anthem lol

Or america the beautiful who cares it was horrible

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

weekly font posted:

Remember when they had the DX band do the national anthem lol

Or america the beautiful who cares it was horrible

it owned

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh say can you SEE

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Someone posted that again not long ago and it made me look up the singer, turns out he’s dead now

This post actually valid for both drowning pool and dx band

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/09/18/espn-abc-monday-night-football.aspx?hl=abc&sc=0&publicationSource=search

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

do WrestleManias still start with the anthem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

do WrestleManias still start with the anthem?

It's never the anthem. It's America The Beautiful because Vince prefers it lol.

And yes they do. It's an excuse to bring ~someone famous~ in.