Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, when we’ve discussed it in the past in this thread, it has been decided by Pokeyman that it is a step too far away from the way the site itself behaves.

(I am staunchly pro-mark-this-as-first-unread.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah. wouldn't make sense unless the site did it too and theres no way that's anywhere on a priority list plus it would upset trillions of goons.

maybe it could be a setting though.

but ya

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

b_d posted:

not sure what you mean. if i click on a thread, the first post i see is one i haven't marked read yet. if i realize it has a big rear end video i can't watch right now i want to return it to unread so i can see it later. to do that, i have to load previous posts and then locate the post right above the one that initially loaded first, and mark THAT post as my last read. so to get back where i was before i need to load more posts and scroll
to the right spot.

if it marked as first *unread* instead i could just do that on the post i can't fully consume yet, and go back to the index.

doesn't matter since i don't imagine it will change

edit: oh if you're saying you have to have the post visible in your field of view and thus it only makes sense to say it is read, then i disagree. lmfao

Oh! Yes! I have the same annoyance.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
any updates on search functionality?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Latest iPadOS has reintroduced the disappearing thread title bug for me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I fully understand why the mark-as-first-unread button won't happen but also I feel incredibly vindicated to know that this has been a repeatedly requested feature for literally four years (and that's assuming nobody requested it before I did, which probably isn't the case).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fedule posted:

I fully understand why the mark-as-first-unread button won't happen but also I feel incredibly vindicated to know that this has been a repeatedly requested feature for literally four years (and that's assuming nobody requested it before I did, which probably isn't the case).

In June of 2019 I posted in this thread about it, describing it as “previously-trod ground” based on a previous discussion of it from an older incarnation of the thread. It’s a classic.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I got hypnotized by my sped up avatar earlier

https://youtube.com/shorts/fyo4Sr6utfg?si=PEcRcvVret-lCqMM

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

when sigs are visible, text-only sigs are indistinguishable from post content. that's not the case on the website.

i didn't take a screenshot but i didn't see one in light mode either.

more than once ive been tempted to reply to some sig that appeared to change the meaning of a post or be extra annoying in its context, but quoting reveals that it was never part of the post at all. spooky. anyway i think there should be a lil <hr> lookin separator or something similar. thanks sorry about the other day

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
People use forum signatures in 2023?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:imunfunny:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sent from my iPhone

(But seriously, disgusting feature)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Could we have an app setting to trim sigs?

(Do we already have one?)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just turn sigs off full stop.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There are sigs???

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you could delete sigs from the app entirely because of these funny but true ideas. or someone could add a little line. couple options i thought of.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

b_d posted:

you could delete sigs from the app entirely because of these funny but true ideas. or someone could add a little line. couple options i thought of.

You go too far.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
request for cool feature plz

search for thread name in bookmarks

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there any way for the app to automatically load the previous posts in a thread? Having to scroll up and tap the option is…kinda annoying.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there any way for the app to automatically load the previous posts in a thread? Having to scroll up and tap the option is…kinda annoying.

Go back a page then forward? :shrug:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So here I am, posting from the App Store version like some kind of animal.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

withak posted:

So here I am, posting from the App Store version like some kind of animal.

:negative:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

:jerry:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So why are imgur links no longer showing like they should? What broke?

If you click the blue link it loads it inline like it should

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just shows as a link

I’ve force closed the app

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sorry, I meant: what is your “Load images” settiing in the app?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I meant: what is your “Load images” settiing in the app?

Lmao that was off for some reason.

Well poo poo that fixed it! I must have done something.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok this may be a feature i don't know about, but why is one of the unread post counts showing up as red?

i don't think i've ever seen that before

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Eeyo posted:

ok this may be a feature i don't know about, but why is one of the unread post counts showing up as red?

i don't think i've ever seen that before

There is a setting (on the website somethingawful as opposed to the awful app) where you can enable bookmark colours.

Long press a thread (in awful app) to set the Bookmark colour!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It means there is an unread announcement, for the Halloween forum in this case.

You can turn it off if in the settings of your want.

Edit: oops I misunderstood what red thing you were talking about.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

spanky the dolphin posted:

There is a setting (on the website somethingawful as opposed to the awful app) where you can enable bookmark colours.

There’s a front page a website?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Is it the "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" option?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Tenkaris posted:

Is it the "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" option?

"Show bookmark category "star buttons" next to threads"
(Allows you to assign different colored stars to a thread, click the star to cycle through colors)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

spanky the dolphin posted:

alright thanks! i don't think i've bookmarked a thread before.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

This is half-related to the Awful app but I've been messing around making a userstyle for the forums so it can look nicer on desktop. There are a lot of shared elements with the SpankyKong theme in the Awful app so if you like and use that you should add it to your browser and take it for a spin.

https://userstyles.world/style/11722/something-spanky

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Question re: TwitterX embeds.

Post rebranding we are all likely aware that simply changing the URL to point back to Twitter gets things to embed as you’d expect* and the as is X links do not. Is that due to the app looking for the Twitter url to do the embed or because the website is busted af?

(* “occasionally”)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warbird posted:

Question re: TwitterX embeds.

Post rebranding we are all likely aware that simply changing the URL to point back to Twitter gets things to embed as you’d expect* and the as is X links do not. Is that due to the app looking for the Twitter url to do the embed or because the website is busted af?

(* “occasionally”)

It’s due to the app looking for “twitter.com” URL to trigger the embedding.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
In the settings menu up next to your username, if you have an animated avatar, it animates REALLY fast. Don’t fix it though because it’s funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Is there a way to UNIGNORE someone in the app? Because I’m damned if I can find it