Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
From some modeling site:

quote:

The basic armament of the Austrian cuirassier was a broadsword and a pair of cavalry pistols in olders. It is worth adding that it also had a cuirass as a defensive weapon. Each squadron also had 16 soldiers armed with M1798 rifles (weight 2.65 kg) or cavalry rifles. Cuirassiers wore white uniforms, with cavalry boots reaching the knees. They wore helmets on their heads.
possibly the rifles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Might be the musket with the sling strap underneath it?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/an-80-austrian-napoleonic-cavalry/

This one guy has it too, looks like a carbine strapped to something. I want to say a stabilizing rod like arequbusiers would use, but this seems way too late for that. Also he doesn't appear to be a cuirassier, so maybe someone is mixing up kit a little on the sculpt?

It appears that piece of kit is associated most with Dragoons and Chevauxlegers, I can't seem to narrow it down any further though.

Another edit: Scabbard and carbine strapped together. Whoever designed those minis appears to have turned the carbine into another tube, likely due to scale.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 17, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Virtual Russian posted:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/an-80-austrian-napoleonic-cavalry/

This one guy has it too, looks like a carbine strapped to something. I want to say a stabilizing rod like arequbusiers would use, but this seems way too late for that. Also he doesn't appear to be a cuirassier, so maybe someone is mixing up kit a little on the sculpt?

It appears that piece of kit is associated most with Dragoons and Chevauxlegers, I can't seem to narrow it down any further though.

Another edit: Scabbard and carbine strapped together. Whoever designed those minis appears to have turned the carbine into another tube, likely due to scale.

Afaik those were spikes. You'd use them if you overrun enemy artillery positions but don't have the infantry support to keep said artillery. So you spike the guns (i.e. ram the spike into the gun to ruin them) and then run away.

If you have longer spikes (it looks like several parts that can be attached) you can also use them to gauge depth of rivers to find places that allows fording. Lanciers would use their lances for this, but if you're a dragoon or a hussar you can hardly do it from horseback with your sword.

They were also used when bivouacked, as you can ram them into the earth and tie your horses to them so that they don't run away.

E: that said I think they are wonkily sized. They look like they are carrying Carl Gustafs, not spikes. But that is probably a compromise given the small scale.

I could also be completely mistaken and those are just bivouac rods that were not used for spiking, as smaller utensils for spiking existed.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 17, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Amazing, now I know.

So spike and carbine strapped together?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Amazing, now I know.

So spike and carbine strapped together?

Yeah probably. I'm trying to google a good pic but often they were not depicted in the more heroic images of the period, just like you don't see the small flags that NCOs used to keep lines straight and for marking where each company would bivoac either. You see the big glorious national and regimental flags, of course, but not the more itty gritty stuff.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all so much that’s very helpful! I would never have guessed!

Here is a work in progress of the two squadrons, I am genuinely really happy with the orange troopers - I really like how they have turned out and the colours are really nice. It was definitely one of those “trust the process”-moments up until the flesh tones went on!

They could do with a little more detail, particularly a wash on the faces, but I just can’t seem to find the right one!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Super late to the party, but looking at Henry's Blender assets, it's labeled as "Carbine" and it's definitely a carbine and spike together :)

edit-- whoops I think I'm looking at the wrong asset or something, but I'm pretty sure it's the same "thing".

Speaking of, I've been playing around with proportions in Henry Turner's Blender files so I can print them at 15mm without them looking like hobbits.

Just elongating the legs makes a huge difference! They're still chunky but they at least look better proportioned.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 18, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The horses look like they have somewhat short legs. Is that artistic or did they ride shorter horses for Napoleonic stuff?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Henry Suggests 130% X/Y and 145% Z for 10mm - but I guess based on Count's post you can stretch the Z further to make them a bit more impressive? By default they are scaled to 6mm so definitely overemphasised in some areas for readability. It's a bit late for me I reckon, (having printed off ~18 bases of cav and ~20 bases of infantry - but I would be interested to know the ratio to?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The horses look like they have somewhat short legs. Is that artistic or did they ride shorter horses for Napoleonic stuff?

Horse size in general is simplified by most makers, who tend to put one size of horses for all their minis. This is typically because sculpting horses is hard and once you've made a few dollies you never want to do it again unless you really like sculpting horses. In reality, Napoleonic armies would do their best to divide their horses depending on needs. You'd want horses with great stamina for your artillery train. You'd want big, strong horses for your heavy cavalry. You'd want small, agile and fast horses for your light cavalry. So you might have chasseurs mounted on what could almost be considered ponies today, while a cuirassier rider would tower over them. This is almost never seen in miniature ranges, the closest I can think of is Warbases who do some excellent (and enormous) horses for pulling wagons.

And then once campaign started, horses typically died like flies and your regimental farriers would be employed to draft anything with four legs and at most a passing resemblence to a donkey into your cavalry wings.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

In reality, Napoleonic armies would do their best to divide their horses depending on needs...

I'm sure it's anecdotal but I read somewhere that the ranks of horses in a napoleonic squadron would be sorted by colour - black, bay, chesnut, dun and then the lighter colours. I'm going to guess that was aspirational at best even if it was true, but I'm using it to give some really quick identification of my units: black/bay for cuirassiers and grenadiers, chestnut/dun for dragoons, dun/light for hussars. As if the pink hats wouldn't be enough, presumably.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I'm sure it's anecdotal but I read somewhere that the ranks of horses in a napoleonic squadron would be sorted by colour - black, bay, chesnut, dun and then the lighter colours. I'm going to guess that was aspirational at best even if it was true, but I'm using it to give some really quick identification of my units: black/bay for cuirassiers and grenadiers, chestnut/dun for dragoons, dun/light for hussars. As if the pink hats wouldn't be enough, presumably.

Some armies did, and there was also a general idea that a horses' temperament was reflected by their colours. So black horses were more martial and aggressive, so you'd often see them reserved for the heaviest cavalry. So for example the Imperial Guard Grenadiers a Cheval was supposed to all ride black horses. And yes, this was largely aspirational and fluctuated according to access to horses inbetween and during campaigns, but it's a nice way to further distinguish units, especially at smaller scales where it is harder to see the details of uniforms.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Southern Heel posted:

Henry Suggests 130% X/Y and 145% Z for 10mm - but I guess based on Count's post you can stretch the Z further to make them a bit more impressive? By default they are scaled to 6mm so definitely overemphasised in some areas for readability. It's a bit late for me I reckon, (having printed off ~18 bases of cav and ~20 bases of infantry - but I would be interested to know the ratio to?

For these guys, I first went into Blender and stretched ONLY the legs by maybe 1-2mm, just to get the proportions a little better, which then exports them as a 6mm model.

For 15mm, I always use 185% XY / 210% Z and it comes out good enough. Turner will always be somewhere on the continuum between normal looking models and 3DBreed cartoonish, but I'm happy with them. A lot of his stuff I don't have Blender files for so I have to futz around with them a bit more. For example the horse-riding command - they're cursed to look like pony-riding hobbits.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

Afaik those were spikes. You'd use them if you overrun enemy artillery positions but don't have the infantry support to keep said artillery. So you spike the guns (i.e. ram the spike into the gun to ruin them) and then run away.

Just FYI, the spikes used for this weren't that big:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cessna posted:

Just FYI, the spikes used for this weren't that big:

This was also my understanding of spiking. However, looking around it seems spiking equipment varied drastically. I saw that French units at times didn't have issued spiking equipment, and were encouraged to bring headless nails to battle to use as you describe. I can imagine driving a spike down the barrel and into the breech would be equally effective and would be able to be used on a larger variety of guns. Imagine if all the spiking nails didn't fit right, you might not spike it effectively. A spike down the barrel would always work regardless of who made the cannon.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Sure, but putting a spike that small on a 6mm figure would be kind of pointless :)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Welp, now I know why throwing a grenade down a howitzer barrel is called spiking the guns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lilljonas posted:

Horse size in general is simplified by most makers, who tend to put one size of horses for all their minis. This is typically because sculpting horses is hard and once you've made a few dollies you never want to do it again unless you really like sculpting horses. In reality, Napoleonic armies would do their best to divide their horses depending on needs. You'd want horses with great stamina for your artillery train. You'd want big, strong horses for your heavy cavalry. You'd want small, agile and fast horses for your light cavalry. So you might have chasseurs mounted on what could almost be considered ponies today, while a cuirassier rider would tower over them. This is almost never seen in miniature ranges, the closest I can think of is Warbases who do some excellent (and enormous) horses for pulling wagons.

And then once campaign started, horses typically died like flies and your regimental farriers would be employed to draft anything with four legs and at most a passing resemblence to a donkey into your cavalry wings.

I’m certain there’s at least one poorly-formatted grog webpage out there recommending different manufacturers to properly differentiate horse size

Related: didn’t they sometimes attempt to denote squadrons within the regiment by horse colour?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Horsey horsey don’t you stop, just let your hooves go clippity-clop…

I love these a lot less than I did yesterday but I’m still pretty happy with them!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

Horsey horsey don’t you stop, just let your hooves go clippity-clop…

I love these a lot less than I did yesterday but I’m still pretty happy with them!

you have incredibly prolific output. i'm jealous

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Those are absolutely adorable and I do really like how they've turned out!

Also, I will use this change of talking about cannons to again ask if anyone can recommend me some 16th century(ish) 15mm cannons that I can get without artillery crew.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm planning on printing out some ancients (I have republican, imperial, and late romans to pick from) and I can't decide on an era, scale, basing, or ruleset :'(

Help me goons, I'm too indecisive. If it helps, 6x4 is the absolute max I could play, I'd prefer 4x3.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Print 'em all and make 'em fight.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I guess the first question would be do you want big battles or smaller tactical ones?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

I guess the first question would be do you want big battles or smaller tactical ones?

I'm learning toward 15mm multibases, that way I can do bigger battles and also play them as "counts as" single bases to do skirmish stuff.

Edit-- maybe I'll just toss all the files I have and do 2mm scale instead 😈

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 19, 2023

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm planning on printing out some ancients (I have republican, imperial, and late romans to pick from) and I can't decide on an era, scale, basing, or ruleset :'(

Help me goons, I'm too indecisive. If it helps, 6x4 is the absolute max I could play, I'd prefer 4x3.

If you want to use them for SAGA you can do 28mm. I think only the Republican Romans have a battle board at the moment.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
There's late Romans and subroman brits in Invasions and Byzantines in Vikings.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Though I'm slowly (slowly) digesting the monolith that is Henry Hyde's Wargaming Campaigns, the major tenet he espouses early is to start small. I want to get my tricorn figures on the table in the context of a narrative campaign sooner rather than later and my mind is drawing an absolute blank now - but hopefully should have the foundation of some games laid out sooner rather than later.

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm learning toward 15mm multibases, that way I can do bigger battles and also play them as "counts as" single bases to do skirmish stuff.

I know that Grimdark Future is sci-fi, but I did exactly this with 8-10mm figures on larger bases. The following photograph might look like something from Epic but from a rules perspective is actually 'just' a Dreadnought, a Rhino, and 9 Hormagaunts.

I also have done this for TPL, Dragon Rampant, etc. and found that it works perfectly, so I would be in support of that. As maybe seen in the Miniature Wargaming thread though, the premise falls apart a little bit when you're looking at very tiny skirmish games with individual characters that need to be represented but I will die on the hill that actually that's just better as a pure RPG anyway.

Count Thrashula posted:

Edit-- maybe I'll just toss all the files I have and do 2mm scale instead 😈

I think we've had this discussion before but I would heartly suggest NOT going with 2mm - my experience was that I could put out a massive force that looked like an army, but it was effectively characterless - I could very easily have just used wooden blocks with Nato symbols and it would have looked nicer, cost less, etc.

The biggest shock/dissapointment was when the figures were actually on the tabletop instead of arrayed in ranks and blocks on my shelf. Here's an example of what a battle looked like for me:

IMO it just looked a bit naff! I know one man's eat is another's poison but while it was a very interesting (and quick) army to get out there I regret not just investing in slightly larger figures earlier on, which is what I'm now doing with my 10mm SYW stuff. Additionally, if you already have 15mm, wouldn't it make sense to stick with that so you can have a consistent terrain/objective/board scale?

On the lines of basing and scale - I'm sure you have your own ideas, but I'm absolutely besotten with the Warmaster basing system now and I don't think I'll be changing going forward. I had originally worried about formations (line, column, square) as well as the frontage and sheer number of bases required, as well as the different depths for games like DBN/DBA - but honestly I've come to hand wave a good deal of that legalistic and confucian approach that some games espouse in favour of what 'makes sense'.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you have incredibly prolific output. i'm jealous

Jenx posted:

Those are absolutely adorable and I do really like how they've turned out!

Also, I will use this change of talking about cannons to again ask if anyone can recommend me some 16th century(ish) 15mm cannons that I can get without artillery crew.

Thank you both, that's very kind - I have lowered my painting quality threshold significantly in order to actually get things done - I would often agonise over tiny details (you can see here that I started to fall into that trap and that some horses have metal bridles) and the result was that precious few miniatures would be completed and the mental head of steam completely lost before any kind of critical mass was obtained. I have no idea what to do with the bases but that's future william's problem.

EDIT: to illustate the difficulties finding small scale historical figures on MMF I note there is a creator who has a HUGE backlog of 15mm Samurai japanese but doesn't show up in any search permutations I've found: https://www.myminifactory.com/users/smolminiatures

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 19, 2023

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Mercer tells us that the Royal Horse Artillery had both the finest horses and divided them by colour between the squadrons so there was the black one and the chestnut one and a third I don’t remember. Obviously you give the best horses to the

I also remember reading some AdC memoir where they tell us of how small, over worked, and under fed the French light cavalry horses were compared to his pampered S tier German warm blood.

The French horses were so overworked you could smell them from far away because of their saddle sores.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I finished up Henry Hyde's "Wargaming Campaigns" over the last few days and I think it's a solid 'OK'. My main points of reference are How to Set Up and Run a War game Campaign by Tony Bath, and the Solo Wargaming Guide (which has a massive campaign element) by William Sylvester.

I think the problem with Henry's book - as you may be able to anticipate if you've ever listened to him as a guest on podcasts, etc. - is that he is not very effective at self-editing. The book is very much 'about' campaigns: there are whole paragraphs of redundant text, chapters on how to use google image search or photoshop, or about so-and-so event and just generally waffling amiably on in generalities.

At no point was this an unenjoyable read, but he quotes blogs, articles, and other books at length which are clearly inspirational to him but which are then repeated in his own words in the same chapter. He spends a large proportion of the book talking about organising multi-player campaigns all fought over a long weekend in a purpose built event, etc.

Some of the most enjoyable sections of the book are those which most closely mirror the content found in the Solo Wargaming Guide, which takes inspiration from the same sources (i.e. Featherstone, Bath, Grant) but which presents that information in a much more concise and readable manner. It is clearly a labour of love and a pleasant way to pass the time - but as a gaming resource, I would have to recommend the Solo Wargaming Guide far more than Wargaming Campaigns.

PS. There are many tables provided in the book which may prove insightful and interesting - random campaign events, more granular sieges and sorties, and the concept of your commanders having (effectively) stat-lines which can be used when rolling for decisions and outcomes rather than invented on the spot - but these are things covered in the Solo Wargaming Guide (albeit slightly differently) or could be supplied in a single sheet of paper.

zokie posted:

The French horses were so overworked you could smell them from far away because of their saddle sores.

That's so gross! Thank you for more info on horsies than I could have expected!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From reading the magazines, I get the impression that Henry Hyde is very much of the wargamer mould where just spending your weekends in a rented church hall with a bunch of other middle-aged nerds is kind of how he expects life to be.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Arquinsiel posted:

From reading the magazines, I get the impression that Henry Hyde is very much of the wargamer mould where just spending your weekends in a rented church hall with a bunch of other middle-aged nerds is kind of how he expects life to be.
That's what I aspire to. There's a group of mostly retired guys in our local club that do that and I am insanely jealous of the amount and quantity of fun they have.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone know a good place to order GB lead spears online in the US? Badger Games seems to be out of stock and I can't seem to find them from other retailers

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Slyphic posted:

That's what I aspire to. There's a group of mostly retired guys in our local club that do that and I am insanely jealous of the amount and quantity of fun they have.

Yeah I have a long term plan for reeeally getting lost in the Napoleonics weeds once I (hopefully am able to) retire

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't find a good place to link to, but Warlord is finally doing plastic early WW2 French infantry! Should be out next month.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

moths posted:

I can't find a good place to link to, but Warlord is finally doing plastic early WW2 French infantry! Should be out next month.

Noticeably missing: The free artillery gun the French army gets.

Though I do approve of French plastic infantry.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The faces aren't grotesquely Warlord enough for my taste. I want howling, revolting visages that look like the Nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark mid-melt.

A solid 3/5.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

Is - is that a bad thing? Because I'd be up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Is - is that a bad thing? Because I'd be up for that.
It is when you assume everyone is the same, and you become the wargamer equivalent of Lucille Bluth asking how much a banana costs.