Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

wooger posted:

I just got an Andar leather case in green for my 14 pro. Seems decent so far. https://www.andar.com/collections/the-cases/products/the-aspen

I think moving away from leather is a terrible move, TPU cases are disgusting to touch. Canvas would be a decent alternative maybe.

Micarta phone case you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The only camera difference in the Pro line this year is if you get the max right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rolo posted:

The only camera difference in the Pro line this year is if you get the max right?

The Pro Max has a 5x optical zoom instead of the 3x in the Pro.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I meant hardware-wise. I see the updated portrait mode and smart HDR update.

I was really looking forward to the 5X optical until I saw it’s on the max only.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

jabro posted:

The Pro Max has a 5x optical zoom instead of the 3x in the Pro.

Which is a downgrade if you find the 3x useful. If you look at the equivalent focal lengths, 77mm is probably going to come in handy more often than 120mm.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

iOS 17 can find lost Apple TV remotes. Pretty cool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: It's out :siren:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Is it the same version as the RC?

edit
It is the same as the RC just in case anyone was wondering.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 18, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

withak posted:

:siren: It's out :siren:
I went to Settings > Software Update to turn beta updates off, but despite being on the public betas for a while and now the RC, beta updates were turned off. I didn't turn those off myself. Is that an automatic thing?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Which is a downgrade if you find the 3x useful. If you look at the equivalent focal lengths, 77mm is probably going to come in handy more often than 120mm.

wait, it’s either 77 or 120 mm? lmao, great. I was pretty tempted to go with the pro max on the off chance I might use the turbozoom but ordered the regular pro.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I don’t understand this, can you explain it? Isn’t the Pro Max strictly superior? It can presumably still do 3x zoom. In what situation can the Pro do something that the Pro Max can’t?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s not a zoom lens with variable focal lengths. The 5x will always be more zoomed in than the 3x and there is no way to get back the edges, other than switching to the main lens and zooming in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can do anything between 0.5x and 15x (Pro)/25x(Pro Max) but the iPhone doesn't have a variable lens so anything that's not the native magnification of the actual lens is just cropped. So the Pro's 3x will be technically better than the Pro Max's 3x, but perhaps not in a perceivable way for you.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you want me to check your account ? This could all be the case and you don’t qualify , but I could at least give you a better answer.

Hey just wanted to give a shout out to Duckman, he totally got me sorted out and got me the $830 iphone 15 promo, and a better cell plan. Big thanks to him and if you're on Verizon it could be worth contacting him if you want to get set up with an upgrade on your line.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do iPhones still do a ton of indexing and such behind the scenes after an OS jump? I threw the beta on my 14 pro yesterday and the battery life has been noticeably doo-doo since.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rolo posted:

Do iPhones still do a ton of indexing and such behind the scenes after an OS jump? I threw the beta on my 14 pro yesterday and the battery life has been noticeably doo-doo since.

Yes. Plus devs are pushing out new versions of apps due to the new iOS. Don't worry about it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

Yes they do. Give it at least 24 hours.

also turn off displaying the battery percentage all the time because the only thing this does is make people obsess over the battery life

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rolo posted:

Yes. It's going to have diminished battery life and probably even heat up a bunch for a couple of days.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did the iOS update and after the restart, didn’t have any cell service. Luckily a hard reboot fixed, but that was interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jabro posted:

I know you don’t want to hear this but the best clear case is AppleCare+.

You present a compelling argument. I may try it if I can overcome the anxiety.

But apparently part replacements are getting cheaper again.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/apple-will-charge-you-way-less-to-fix-cracked-back-glass-on-an-iphone-15-pro/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m shopping for cases for my 15 Pro and my preferred option — the Caudabe Sheath — is an exorbitant $40.

That said there’s this whole thing going on where they’re shipping the early orders without the action button cover and if you ask for it, they’ll later send you one with the button cover too.

So you basically get two cases for the price of one. Use WELCOME15 for an additional 15% off. They do charge $5 for shipping.

It’s a great case and I’ve used it for like three generations of iPhone now. Thinking I’ll move to a skin + bumper option this time round, though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I always use a case when I first get the phone, but end up taking it off a few years down.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Skeezy posted:

I’m going to suggest Bullstrap and Andar if you’re looking for other leather options. Bullstrap especially has been a good option.

Just googled what a Bullstrap is and this looks v nice, and a good replacement for the tan apple case I always go with. Bummer about the shipping though. I guess I'll try a Finewoven case for a bit and see how I like it. It even comes in green!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the new “use iMessage stickers everywhere” something that needs to be individual app supported?

It seems convenient as a way to make an emoji quickly using the photo lift thing but I don’t know how to access it after.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is the new shopping-specific list type busted for everyone? I’m adding random common shopping items (eggs, milk, pasta, etc) and it’s all just going under “Others”. Apparently it’s supposed to auto-categorise things?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TACD posted:

Is the new shopping-specific list type busted for everyone? I’m adding random common shopping items (eggs, milk, pasta, etc) and it’s all just going under “Others”. Apparently it’s supposed to auto-categorise things?

Didn’t know this was a thing. I switched my grocery list from standard to groceries and it did automatically sort things. Are you using an iCloud reminders list? Might not work if it’s on a google or Microsoft account.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Hey just wanted to give a shout out to Duckman, he totally got me sorted out and got me the $830 iphone 15 promo, and a better cell plan. Big thanks to him and if you're on Verizon it could be worth contacting him if you want to get set up with an upgrade on your line.

Thank you, and not a problem, always happy to help !

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

You present a compelling argument. I may try it if I can overcome the anxiety.

But apparently part replacements are getting cheaper again.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/apple-will-charge-you-way-less-to-fix-cracked-back-glass-on-an-iphone-15-pro/

Also, once you get used to these being a slippery pickle to hold onto, it’s incredible how durable they’ve become in my experience.

I’ve had the 11, 13 and 14 pro and I’ve dropped them naked onto concrete or brick from bar table height at least 3-4 times each. Never cracked one. I know ymmv but holy cow phones have gotten tougher.

Not 2004 Nokia tough but still.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m gonna make so many stickers of my cats

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn’t know this was a thing. I switched my grocery list from standard to groceries and it did automatically sort things. Are you using an iCloud reminders list? Might not work if it’s on a google or Microsoft account.
Yeah it's all iCloud and Apple-approved. Well, either it's busted because I'm in the UK or because it's a .0 release but it's still nice I can set up proper section headers now that aren't list items themselves.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
People always talk about indexing and behind the scenes stuff for a day or so after an update (in relation to battery life) but what does that actually mean? What is indexing, why is it so battery intensive for an entire day, and why does it have to happen after every update?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

The Grumbles posted:

People always talk about indexing and behind the scenes stuff for a day or so after an update (in relation to battery life) but what does that actually mean? What is indexing, why is it so battery intensive for an entire day, and why does it have to happen after every update?

New features with new integrations mostly, aside from the usual Spotlight search index. One example from last year, it would go through your photos library and choose photos that meet Apple's criteria of "Would be good for a lockscreen".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

Usually it's to run machine learning on your photo album to enable the updated AI processing features. iOS 17 has some updates to face/people recognition for example. And the dickpic filter. So it's gotta churn through everything again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What if the iPhone 15 Pro sucks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

buglord posted:

I’ll keep eating that garbage

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m gonna make so many stickers of my cats

I'm on that mission right now, myself.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

buglord posted:

Here's the secret: all phones suck.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The Grumbles posted:

Indexing means basically keeping a cache of all the stuff that's on your iPhone so it can find stuff fast.

When you use your iPhone's search to look for "Costco" and it instantly pops out all the Costco emails you have and the Costco purchases made from your wallet. The reason that they're able to get it at speed is because the work was already done to cache that data.

However, IMO, there should be no reason for iOS to have to re-index your phone after a basic software update. To me, that makes no sense since it's not like all of a sudden the emails they stored suddenly don't exist anymore. So to me it seems like very little reason for them to wipe that from your system.
edit:

xzzy posted:

Usually it's to run machine learning on your photo album to enable the updated AI processing features. iOS 17 has some updates to face/people recognition for example. And the dickpic filter. So it's gotta churn through everything again.
oh yeah good point. probably this stuff.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

New features with new integrations mostly, aside from the usual Spotlight search index. One example from last year, it would go through your photos library and choose photos that meet Apple's criteria of "Would be good for a lockscreen".

Mine still only has 3, and one was just taken in July.