Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I said come in! posted:

For some reason I thought it had always been that price.

They priced the Complete edition for $69.99 when it came to Steam/PS4/PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Finally completed 5! It took me about a month longer than I expected but I did end up interspersing it with a bunch of other games because 60 hours for story mode alone is a pretty big ask. The ending did feel a little weirdly truncated though, especially after they so much time on character development, I was expecting slightly more epilogue.

I'm not too into the hardcore postgame so I think I'm pretty much done. I tried some of the DLC missions but from what I played they feel kind of flat and empty compared to the wonderful extra chapters from 4. I may come back for a little more some day, but for now I have 6 and 7 to go through. (And D2, and 3 but I'm still holding out for the seemingly inevitable Switch ports)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

So I played the first chapter of 6 and oh dear God, it's all wrong, the numbers are too big, the hospital doesn't heal you, Pleinair is missing, my Prinny has a SWORD!?. It's like one of those anti-satisfying memes in game form.

Still it's perfectly playable and nowhere near as bad as the internet crybaby squad would have you believe, just it's all slightly jarring.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I didn’t play much of 6 but it seems pretty cool that monsters can, you know, just equip normal weapons given how many of them want the option to run attacks off their SPD/HIT.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

RillAkBea posted:

So I played the first chapter of 6 and oh dear God, it's all wrong, the numbers are too big, the hospital doesn't heal you, Pleinair is missing, my Prinny has a SWORD!?. It's like one of those anti-satisfying memes in game form.

Still it's perfectly playable and nowhere near as bad as the internet crybaby squad would have you believe, just it's all slightly jarring.

I take it you're playing it on PC? Part of 6's terrible reception was it's awful Switch performance (no idea if they patched it somewhat, I had noticeable performance issues even with graphics turned down)

I don't like the number bloat or the postgame at all but I know a lot of the other complaints are basically personal taste (move to 3D, less generics, etc)

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

7 seems to be addressing a lot of the complaints I've seen about 6 (numbers back to usual, high generic count, Switch performance isn't hot garbage) so I'm guessing that they were pretty genuinely widespread complaints and not just a couple grognards on the internet whining that they changed something

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 8, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having only the switch version in English during the initial release was real rough because every graphics option felt highly compromised. Do you want very janky framerates, graphics that look like vaseline was smeared over your switch, or a little of both?

At any rate I felt like 6 had a lot of growing pains from making the switch to 3d so it's good to hear that 7 fixed a bunch of issues. I can definitely understand the negative reaction because 5 was one of the best games and 6 was a clear downgrade unless you're big on the automation stuff they added.

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 8, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ryanbomber posted:

7 seems to be addressing a lot of the complaints I've seen about 6 (numbers back to usual, high generic count, Switch performance isn't hot garbage) so I'm guessing that they were pretty genuinely widespread complaints and not just a couple grognards on the internet whining that they changed something

I think the higher generic count was always intended, they just needed more time to make all the 3D models.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
6 was also allegedly really low budget, from what I heard NIS hasn't been doing so hot and needed to get it out the door.

I could see that factoring into decisions like the character count and the lovely grindy contentless endgame

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Clarste posted:

I think the higher generic count was always intended, they just needed more time to make all the 3D models.

Oh yeah, absolutely

I just think that bringing back classes we haven't seen in ages (hi male Archer) and doubling the count was an intentional extra effort to bring in a LOT more generics, possibly because of the complaints

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 8, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Deki posted:

I take it you're playing it on PC? Part of 6's terrible reception was it's awful Switch performance (no idea if they patched it somewhat, I had noticeable performance issues even with graphics turned down)

I don't like the number bloat or the postgame at all but I know a lot of the other complaints are basically personal taste (move to 3D, less generics, etc)
I'm actually playing on Switch. I forget what mode I have it set to but it's not too bad.

I'm not a big fan of the move to 3D either but I have to admit some of the special move animations do look pretty sick. (Not you Heal, I don't need a drat screen transition for a bottom tier spell)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I greatly prefer 2d sprites, but 2d is waaaaaaay more expensive at the quality level disgaea sprites were at with all the frames needed for all those characters.

With 3d its a lot easier to slap on the same animation to different models and call it a day

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hey Disgaea doods, I figure this would be the best place to ask this.

I just got my Vita hacked and am looking for what kinda number crunchy fun I can have on it. Being a Disgaea fan I tried starting Hyperdimension Neptunia and ehhhh... yeah I don't think this is my thing. I was hoping to play Trinity Universe but it looks like that was never released outside the PS3. Of course I've already played all the Disgaeas and various NIS PSP re-releases to death. Anyone have any recommendations on something similarly grindy to try, ideally native to the Vita?

I'm looking at the Atelier series that I never played any of, but I know that series varies wildly and I'm not sure which would be the right fit. If ya'll have any other Vita recommendations I'd love to hear em.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

atelier is fun crafting but isnt really infinite grinding, every game has a set endpoint

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

zzMisc posted:

Hey Disgaea doods, I figure this would be the best place to ask this.

I just got my Vita hacked and am looking for what kinda number crunchy fun I can have on it. Being a Disgaea fan I tried starting Hyperdimension Neptunia and ehhhh... yeah I don't think this is my thing. I was hoping to play Trinity Universe but it looks like that was never released outside the PS3. Of course I've already played all the Disgaeas and various NIS PSP re-releases to death. Anyone have any recommendations on something similarly grindy to try, ideally native to the Vita?

I'm looking at the Atelier series that I never played any of, but I know that series varies wildly and I'm not sure which would be the right fit. If ya'll have any other Vita recommendations I'd love to hear em.

It’s not really the same in any way except having an extensive postgame, but Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins has a postgame campaign that made me immediately go “Jesus Christ this is a NIS game now” and it has a pretty long demo so you can see if you like the fundamental ARPG gameplay. Sorry I can’t think of anything more fitting!

Also seconding that Atelier is that good poo poo even if it’s not super grindy and more just chill crafting.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

It’s not really the same in any way except having an extensive postgame, but Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins has a postgame campaign that made me immediately go “Jesus Christ this is a NIS game now” and it has a pretty long demo so you can see if you like the fundamental ARPG gameplay. Sorry I can’t think of anything more fitting!

Also seconding that Atelier is that good poo poo even if it’s not super grindy and more just chill crafting.

I hadn't heard of that one, I'll check it out, thanks! Althrough right now I'm specifically looking to make use of the Vita. But I'll probably set up game streaming on it at some point anyway.

Atelier sounds perfect though then, to me it's more about having something chill without a real lose condition to kick back and push forward in; I didn't mean to sound like a 300-hour postgame was the big requirement, it's more just about playing with mechanical systems to make them numbers go up. Like, I played a bit of Stardew Valley, and that was almost perfect except the time pressure made me want to optimize my time in a way I don't really want to have to do. Definitely sounds like Atlier is exactly what I'm looking for already and there's certainly plenty of 'em.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Coming January 30th 200000002003, it's Disgaea's first ever dating sim! :hurr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BslVVTVWNQ

https://nippon1.jp/consumer/prince/

"Nude mode" unlocked at 9,999,000,000,000,000 presubs.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

it's Disgaea's first ever dating sim!

I could swear...No, wait, they did a visual novel, not a full dating sim. Something about looping? Time travel?

EDIT: That was it. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VisualNovel/DisgaeaInfinite

The closest thing they've ever had to a relationship points system was in Soul Nomad.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 1, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Bloodly posted:

I could swear...No, wait, they did a visual novel, not a full dating sim. Something about looping? Time travel?

EDIT: That was it. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VisualNovel/DisgaeaInfinite

The closest thing they've ever had to a relationship points system was in Soul Nomad.
(They developed the Uta no Prince-sama games. That's the reference.)

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
I've decided to take a run at Disgaea 4 Complete+ on Switch. I started with the cheat code on the main menu to unlock all the facilities and the DLC fights. I played the other ones aside from 3, so I have a good sense for the flow of the games generally, but is there anything notable or special about 4 that I should know? I'm under the impression that the only real idiosyncrasy is the campaign HQ stuff, but it just seems like D5 squad's with extra steps?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deki posted:

I greatly prefer 2d sprites, but 2d is waaaaaaay more expensive at the quality level disgaea sprites were at with all the frames needed for all those characters.

With 3d its a lot easier to slap on the same animation to different models and call it a day

The mobile game went with the 2d sprites in HD and I think that is what ultimately killed it. It was so expensive to keep that game up as a live service mobile title with all of the crossovers and new characters they were adding every month.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I said come in! posted:

The mobile game went with the 2d sprites in HD and I think that is what ultimately killed it. It was so expensive to keep that game up as a live service mobile title with all of the crossovers and new characters they were adding every month.

Isn't that just the fate of every Gacha game that doesn't get a ton of forever-whales?

I believe the JP version is sticking around so that shouldn't be too much of a concern. It's probably more that once the whales leave a game, its more profitable to put your resources on a new game than leave a few on an old one to keep it on life support.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deki posted:

Isn't that just the fate of every Gacha game that doesn't get a ton of forever-whales?

I believe the JP version is sticking around so that shouldn't be too much of a concern. It's probably more that once the whales leave a game, its more profitable to put your resources on a new game than leave a few on an old one to keep it on life support.

That's true yeah. The mobile game for both JP and Gloabl is still technically going, but only one person is left on the team. The game studio laid off almost all of their staff, and closed 40 other mobile games of theirs.

[edit]
Just saw that end of service was announced a few days ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Disgaea RPG for JP will still be going, it's just Boltrend doing Boltrend things for global

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Disgaea RPG for JP will still be going, it's just Boltrend doing Boltrend things for global

loving boltrend. :( RPG was a comfort game for me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lovely poker hand posted:

I've decided to take a run at Disgaea 4 Complete+ on Switch. I started with the cheat code on the main menu to unlock all the facilities and the DLC fights. I played the other ones aside from 3, so I have a good sense for the flow of the games generally, but is there anything notable or special about 4 that I should know? I'm under the impression that the only real idiosyncrasy is the campaign HQ stuff, but it just seems like D5 squad's with extra steps?

If you never played 3 then it’s probably nice to know that 3/4 have a kinda weird version of skill boosting where you don’t go from F > F+ > E… but just attach multipliers to F that are applied before DEF/RES and turns the game into rocket tag. I don’t care for it at all but other people don’t seem to mind it, but it’s worth keeping in mind regardless since it means investing in defense beyond dodgetanking or muscles is pointless.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I said come in! posted:

loving boltrend. :( RPG was a comfort game for me.

as the world's only Idola enjoyer, I agree

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone have any advice for La Pucille? Like little potential gotchas with the character building? Doesn’t seem terribly hard but I figure it’s better to preemptively ask.

Also I’m not very far in, but it’s kinda neat seeing the preludes to stuff like Geo Panel puzzles and team attacks. And I’m pretty sure this shopkeeper is a mushroom.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCWjdX2GRwM

New English trailer. Launch date on PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC is October 3rd for North America, 6th for Europe, and the 13th for Oceania.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCWjdX2GRwM

New English trailer. Launch date on PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC is October 3rd for North America, 6th for Europe, and the 13th for Oceania.

Not bad at all! Not much longer until release.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEHB4eWVT4g

The demo is out now. I don't see one on Steam, but it is available for download on Switch.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEHB4eWVT4g

The demo is out now. I don't see one on Steam, but it is available for download on Switch.

Haha, 20+ years and 7 games later we finally get to hear Tsunami Bomb again!? :rock:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I don't think they're doing Steam demos anymore after the D5 one that had the entire game in it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Disgaea 7’s pretty good going by the demo, but anyone having issues with HL? I think this is literally the first time playing a NIS game where healing my crew was something I actually had to manually do, it feels like the stats are higher than before but not the HL/Mana yield.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I assume the cheat shop will have the auto-heal option?

That was my one gripe too, otherwise this game is definitely looking to be miles ahead of D6. Wish it'd have launched closer to JP release and not during a very crowded good-game season for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Auto-heal will be an option, but yes, you have very little HL and often can't afford to heal everyone to full after battle in the early game. I guess the intended solution is probably "stop dying." It stops being an issue later, but I couldn't tell you exactly why.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I think HL was tight for healing at the very early game of D6 as well but I can't ever recall HL being much of a concern by the time you unlock the IW and proceed to do IW shenanigans so I assume it'll be similar here.

Spending my time playing Wandering Sword so I'll probably skip the D7 demo and pick up the full game later on on PC.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I also noticed how tight the HL is early on compared to earlier games. Where it was gear that drained your bank quickly.

The game is much better performance wise than 6 on Switch, but it is still missing things from the earlier games.

Team attacks still don't have animations. Even simple skills like Heal transition us away from the map to a different screen to perform the action. I find it harder to know which character I'm looking at with the more zoomed out camera setting since we're looking down at the top of their heads now due to the switch to 3D.

Hopefully, these are things that will return with the next game along with an animated opening.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I didn't notice healing being that big of a drain, but I also didn't really buy weapons.

Dropped weapons seem to be way better since they can get random traits in addition to innocents, even if some of those traits suck (3% chance to paralyze?)

A Bow I got on the first chapter 2 map was higher tier than the best one I could buy and turned Pirilika into a murder machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

When I played it in Japanese I ended up getting all my equipment from stealing.