Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

It was the first time in 9 years the Packers lost a double digit lead in the fourth quarter.

The last time was the 2014 NFCCG.

Oh wow! I had no idea. Feels like a thing that happens all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

They've given up a double digit lead more recently than that but it happens in 2Q and 3Q. That sort of rapid collapse in the fourth is pretty rare for the Packers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You're probably right, I'll try not to be as much of a dick.

What has been different this year over the summer and then this last week has been the amount of people getting expectations wildly high. I.e. the season tickets selling out, all this kind of poo poo. Like my brother in law dropped a bunch of money on tickets later this season, and i know drat well he is gonna end up mad as hell and embarrass himself getting angry about the Lions at a family event again.

One of my fundamental frustrations with this team has been the fact that the fans will keep letting them get away with putting a terrible product on the field. People just handed over a bunch of their hard earned money to the Ford's again for tickets, jerseys, hats, and beer and the Lions went out and did the exact thing the Lions have done for decades, which is be horrendously inconsistent and lose a game they should have won. We overall looked better than the seahawks. On plays where we got pressure they looked good, and the offense was humming. Yet as usual the coach made bad choices, a number of players got hurt (can be plain bad luck or bad conditioning/training), and both the defense and offense made crucial mistakes that cost the game. Then on top of it the refs did a poo poo job, again, because no one cares if the Lions get screwed over.

The division is hot garbage so there is still no excuse not to win it and hope to the gods that they can pull out a playoff victory, but there is still a lot of work to be done on this team.

Holy poo poo, shuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1703808237890326785

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1703739437773963592

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Okay it’s fun to clown in the Lions but it is just a week 2 game. It actually isn’t that big a deal

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
From the little of that game I saw there were multiple examples of plays with routes like that

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

i feel like a solid two score lead at half and an anxiety-filled 2nd half is Packers lyfe. 21-3 at half, get the win with a score of 30-29 or some weird poo poo

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 18, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Okay it’s fun to clown in the Lions but it is just a week 2 game. It actually isn’t that big a deal

We have ptsd from missing the playoffs from losing to the Seahawks last season

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

what's homelander looking at here, I don't remember despite having seen the show

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/arjunmenon100/status/1703809592151420962?t=VmgOjRlUjR2l6SORYGRmlA&s=19

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

ghosthorse posted:

From the little of that game I saw there were multiple examples of plays with routes like that

It's two weeks in a row and it's making it impossible to tell why Fields has turned into Mitch McConnell

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I am truly sorry we sent DJ to receiver hell. Hopefully his sacrifice will not be in vain.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to get too worked up over an OT loss that involved a -3 turnover differential. Detroit had some good breaks in week 1 and some bad ones in week 2, and that's football baby. The big takeaway from yesterday is that it was almost certainly too early for CJGJ to claim league villain status for the team, let's win a couple more games first. Also pretty sad about Goff's pick-free streak coming to an end.

I will say that I'm suddenly not too thrilled about playing Atlanta next week. And then @GB the following week!

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

ghosthorse posted:

Kmet always seems like he’s involved in them too. Not saying it’s always his fault, but that particular play looks like he was supposed to run a post and that pass was to DJ.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.twitter.com/kfishbain/status/1703828349125058971

Trestman type meltdown is extremely on the table lol.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know you meant clown on but I read this and I can't stop thinking about a clown having sex with the Lions, who I am imagining as a person with the Lions logo for a head.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
just gonna pretend I didn't read that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MJeff posted:

Holy poo poo, shuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

If Dexo and Woodrow Skillton ever touch then football is annihilated from existence

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 18, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

He's covered here though? He's correct not to throw this pass

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Anyway, it was a frustrating as hell game for sure. The sad thing is, outside the two complete gift turnovers, the Lions outscored Seattle 31-17 in regulation. That's pretty dang good! It just turns out spotting your opponent 14 free points makes it pretty hard to win a football game. I just hope the team is able to rest up and heal quickly, because as it stands right now we're looking pretty depleted heading into Atlanta.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I do want to shout out to Jared Goff though because one of my biggest beefs with him is that he rarely throws very far downfield and that wasn't a problem yesterday, that TD to Reynolds was beautiful.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
A Lions discord I'm on in the last 24 hours has said the following: Aaron Glenn should not have left Ford Field without getting fired; that he should be fired by week four; that he should be fired at the bye; Dan Campbell is on the hot seat; Hutch is a bust; not really sold on Jared Goff; Gibbs is a bust; the game against Atlanta is a must win or the season is over

These people don't deserve nice things

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/kfishbain/status/1703828349125058971

Trestman type meltdown is extremely on the table lol.

Your Twitter embedding seems to have broken because you're putting 'www.' there. Just leave it out and it embeds fine.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really don't wanna complain about the refs too much this year cause that's loser mindset poo poo and the Lions should be good enough to outplay the zebras at this point, but I also can't in good conscience lay any of this at Hutch's feet if it's apparently just gonna be UFC rules against him every week.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

A Lions discord I'm on in the last 24 hours has said the following: Aaron Glenn should not have left Ford Field without getting fired; that he should be fired by week four; that he should be fired at the bye; Dan Campbell is on the hot seat; Hutch is a bust; not really sold on Jared Goff; Gibbs is a bust; the game against Atlanta is a must win or the season is over

These people don't deserve nice things

a large number of lions fans are, shall we say, very dumb

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think they have ptsd

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I feel like Aaron Glenn is trying to play too cute and smart. The reason is I watched his press conference after week 1 and he was being really evasive answering questions about what the defense was doing even though it was pretty obvious from the tape.

I do think he needs to figure it out or he will find himself unemployed. This defense has enough talent to not be an embarrassment and they were bad yesterday.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It's fair to say that Hutch got manhandled on the last play, but it's also fair to say he had a down game. Maybe a victim of high expectations after he was living in the backfield against a dirty rotten cheater in Week 1, but I didn't see him do much against the backup tackles. I don't know if he even hit Geno all day, let alone sacked him.

One thing I'm interested to see against Atlanta is if their run defense is for real against Bijan and co, or if teams just prefer to pick on their pass defense. Only 172 rushing yards allowed through 2 games, and a good chunk of that is QB scrambles.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Let’s be clear, 90% of every fan base is very dumb, I count myself among them

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Let’s be clear, 90% of every fan base is very dumb, I count myself among them

Being a Bears fan in and of itself is dumb so yes.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

Being a Bears fan in and of itself is dumb so yes.

There are maybe 5 Bears fans who aren’t dumb and the only way they escaped it is by becoming national analysts and pundits, so they can dilute their Bears watching with Regular Football. The rest of us are stuck here

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Sam LaPorta is apparently the first TE in NFL history to catch at least 5 passes in each of his first two games. Seems like a low bar for something no one's ever done before, but I suppose rookie TEs don't often get targeted in the passing game from week 1.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GNU Order posted:

There are maybe 5 Bears fans who aren’t dumb and the only way they escaped it is by becoming national analysts and pundits, so they can dilute their Bears watching with Regular Football. The rest of us are stuck here

Becoming a national analyst and our pundit is a reward for being dumb, not proof they aren't

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Being a sports fan is reactionary. The only thing that matters is what happens last. If the lions win that game, no one really cares about what happened for the middle of the game.

If the Packers D holds no one cares that Love didn’t have a good last possession. It’s how it goes

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Uh oh

https://twitter.com/theqbschool/status/1703840731058909472?t=d5nyYLXvAJHyCIIhTim2Jg&s=19

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It should really be a -2 differential because the first was a fumble on a meaningless heave at the end of the first half (honesty that probably should’ve been called an incomplete pass). And the refs were equal opportunity terrible. That’s apparently one of the most flag happy crews in the league and it was obvious because they were constantly calling stuff that is an extremely literal reading of the rulebook that most refs would never enforce, most obviously on that intentional grounding.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel really bad for Fields. He's not playing well, but this coaching staff is either not helping, or somehow making him worse. Last week there were tons of examples of just really poorly drawn out play calls, and I know there were a bunch in week 2. The coaches are giving him less than zero help. He needs to get out of Chicago and find someplace with actual competent offensive coaches. And someone please fire Getsy like yesterday.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I feel really bad for Fields. He's not playing well, but this coaching staff is either not helping, or somehow making him worse. Last week there were tons of examples of just really poorly drawn out play calls, and I know there were a bunch in week 2. The coaches are giving him less than zero help. He needs to get out of Chicago and find someplace with actual competent offensive coaches. And someone please fire Getsy like yesterday.

Every team has what the gently caress was that playcall plays.

Fields has to throw the drat ball.

Control what you can control, like he had 2 sacks where no one could have done poo poo. Every other sack in that game was him not throwing the ball to someone wide open. Or holding the ball and not throwing it away.

I feel bad for Fields in the sense that he ended up in this poo poo organization, and I've been at work so haven't had a chance to watch all-22s but even from the TV feed it looked like worse QB play than playcalling. The Pick-6 was a playcalling mistake.

But dear god, when your QB isn't throwing the loving ball to wide open receivers and taking sacks I get why you just play john shoop ball.

Last year, I gave the benefit of the doubt because like literally no receiver or TE were getting any seperation really, and you could see it on tape.

This year, DJ, Kmet, Claypool, and Mooney are getting separation, and being schemed open. He's just not throwing the loving ball. The Line will still occasionally give up a Nano, but he's clean enough.

Like Getsy is uninspiring and should be gone after this year, but so far this is far more on Justin, where you watch the tape, and there are a ton of plays to be made, and instead he's deciding instead not to make a play and take a sack.

And unlike last year when he was doing this, he's not even seemingly able to escape and make big running plays anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is just tragic

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1703796356874129879