Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Nothing at all against the modeller, this to me is a typical example of the unreadability of modern sculpts:

it is just bad design, the eye has nowhere to rest. More is not always more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's a photo taken from about the worst possible angle with a homogenous paint job blending the detail together. It's like if you took a photo of a space marine from the top and complained they all look like vague blobs joined together.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a large four-armed robot dwarf/minotaur with an axe in each hand, a beard made out of chains, and two big cow horns poking out of the sides of its head.

It's not difficult to parse, it's just bad angle for a photo. Someone's trying to show off a specific detail on their paintjob and not the mini. :shrug:

The paintjob is simultaneously good and boring to look at, and the mini is overdesigned which is a real common problem with 3D printed stuff.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 17, 2023

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
This is less over-the-top and more practical work, but I recently did another kitbash series to make some Darkoath Savagers into Bloodreavers for my 2k points of Khorne. Observe!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's a photo taken from about the worst possible angle with a homogenous paint job blending the detail together. It's like if you took a photo of a space marine from the top and complained they all look like vague blobs joined together.

A hallmark of bad sculpture is if there are viewing angles that it is incomprehensible from. I'd hazard I'd easily parse a marine from any possible angle.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Micheal Bay's Transformers was my first thought too. What the Heck is that?!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I can't tell what that's supposed to even be, is it a bad picture or did someone actually model a Michael bay transformer mid change?

It looks like a four armed robot monster wielding axes with big horns and chains for a beard. It doesn't help that's its all painted with metallics. The design is also very uniform and busy. Gives you the impression of one of rhe squids from the Matrix.

This is what you get when you have someone with the technical skills to model but no artistic/design sense.

Efb

Virtual Russian posted:

A hallmark of bad sculpture is if there are viewing angles that it is incomprehensible from. I'd hazard I'd easily parse a marine from any possible angle.

Also this. For all their faults GW have a very clear design aesthetic. Even with the Nerfmarines you could look at them and know they were marines with giant goofy guns.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a large four-armed robot dwarf/minotaur with an axe in each hand, a beard made out of chains, and two big cow horns poking out of the sides of its head.

It's not difficult to parse, it's just bad angle for a photo. Someone's trying to show off a specific detail on their paintjob and not the mini. :shrug:

The paintjob is simultaneously good and boring to look at, and the mini is overdesigned which is a real common problem with 3D printed stuff.

Thanks, I couldn't decode it. For others like me: you're viewing it from the side, head is to the right.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Virtual Russian posted:

me upskirting angron: this design is so overblown I can't tell what I'm looking at

That's a joke, I swear it's not trying to get a sick own in despite the tone.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

haha no worries, I got it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

me upskirting angron: this design is so overblown I can't tell what I'm looking at

That's a joke, I swear it's not trying to get a sick own in despite the tone.

Didn't you notice the Khorne symbol made up of the creases on his puckered buttcheeks?

John Blanche was a genius.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Z the IVth posted:

John Blanche was a genius.

Very few artists have the opportunity to set a creative direction and just go with it for decades, and I'm glad he got it. He's showing up at cons to hang out nowadays, he was at Bring Out Your Lead this summer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eediot Jedi posted:

There was a mind-blowing fan 3D sculpt of Angron that happened to have an angry dick.

The guy refused to share or sell it, and pretty much just got off on people asking for the STL.

Then he painted it with the most lackluster paint job. It was disappointment on every level.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

There was a mind-blowing fan 3D sculpt of Angron that happened to have an angry dick.

The guy refused to share or sell it, and pretty much just got off on people asking for the STL.

Then he painted it with the most lackluster paint job. It was disappointment on every level.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is under any obligation to share or sell their own sculpts. Sometimes it just is that way and it is best to simply accept it, it shouldn't be a reason to slight someone. Still unfortunate that it wasn't painted well.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Well, what color did he paint the dick?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

moths posted:

pics aren't loading for me

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah, nobody's entitled to someone else's work. It was just kinda annoying that he made a ton of Reddit posts and did some Spikey Bits articles promoting it. At least a bunch of better/ more accessible Angrons came out shortly after.

smug jeebus posted:

Well, what color did he paint the dick?

Sadly, the world may never know.

E: my Google history is now full of "Angron's dick" variations.

moths fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 18, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

He might have just been proud of it and wanted to show it off? I do that all the time for art I'm not selling on my non-professional insta account.

Also yeah, I couldn't find it no matter how I varied search terms like "custom angron penis".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Southern Heel posted:

Nothing at all against the modeller, this to me is a typical example of the unreadability of modern sculpts:

Yeah that's a great example of all the crap I see in modern design. Getting into star wars legion and shatterpoint was a breath of fresh air compared to the GW stuff. Simple, clean silhouettes, even the stylized sculpts.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
More minis-adjacent than minis, but still:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1704328776052621432

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fake Warhams fans. Drones are more of a Tau thing, unless they're made out of skulls, and then they're more of a Corpse Emperor thing.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm not sure what people think, but maybe we can keep the real war stuff to the many threads dedicated to it? The topic is barely able to be handled in heavily moderated threads dedicated to it, probably best we don't get into it here. Just my opinion though, it isn't my call.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Battle-Catte

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm not sure what people think, but maybe we can keep the real war stuff to the many threads dedicated to it? The topic is barely able to be handled in heavily moderated threads dedicated to it, probably best we don't get into it here. Just my opinion though, it isn't my call.

Appropriate name for this post

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

alg posted:

ghost of kyiv banner spotted

https://twitter.com/DicenDemons/status/1705299580307284359

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

alg posted:

please don't, this is exactly what I don't want.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Virtual Russian posted:

please don't, this is exactly what I don't want.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwQYjaBNgbb/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

The lack of shading hurts but I like the premise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I am a sucker for people doing the blue and white ceramic art on models

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
With the crazy archaic overdone decorations that Space Marines do this seems pretty appropriate to me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The patterns not being symmetrical rubs me the wrong way. But it is pretty fantastic despite my stupid bugbear.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

rain dogs fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 10, 2023

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

NSFW

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The scifi miniature community needs to strike back by painting a teacup like a space marine.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

The scifi miniature community needs to strike back by painting a teacup like a space marine.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I am a sucker for people doing the blue and white ceramic art on models

I work with ceramics, I've long been wanting to cast some of the old push-fit marines. If I could get 3D prints of those push-fit guys that are roughly 20% larger than the plastics I could cast them in porcelain or bone china and they'd come out the correct size. Clay shrinks so if I cast an original it will look too small. Another project I've been wanting to do is some wedgewood style mugs using 40k stuff in relief.

wedgewood image for reference

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Greek Amphora showing the horus heresy

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Virtual Russian posted:

I work with ceramics, I've long been wanting to cast some of the old push-fit marines. If I could get 3D prints of those push-fit guys that are roughly 20% larger than the plastics I could cast them in porcelain or bone china and they'd come out the correct size. Clay shrinks so if I cast an original it will look too small. Another project I've been wanting to do is some wedgewood style mugs using 40k stuff in relief.

wedgewood image for reference

Make the cups, sell them on Etsy, I buy a set. Everyone's happy, except my girlfriend when I insist on serving tea/coffee to guests out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are GW's lawyers less litigious than they used to be?