Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

mediaphage posted:

the “ceramic” pans are fine. teflon can actually be fine too if you are careful with it (and to be honest there’s no hard proof it’s toxic just a lot of anecdotal evidence that it might be but still too much risk for my adhd rear end)

but yeah i just buy a ceramic pan every couple years now or whatever and they’re very needs suiting. mostly just use it for omelettes anyway

Teflon should only be a danger if it's overheated, if you're just using it as an eggpan and don't leave it on the heat without something in it then it shouldn't ever degrade.

In other news, I ended up keeping Jasper and got another GCC to make sure she isn't too lonely. I'll post some pictures of Opal in a little bit, have been kinda shy in this thread for probably obvious reasons.

Jasper plucked the feathers in front of Beryl's eyes too, and I have no idea why she does it but it sure does make them look strange.

https://i.imgur.com/W1V8NFq.mp4

DrakIris fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Those nonstick compounds become dangerous at about 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Still, I don't keep any in the house. I spent half my life in professional kitchens and restaurants, and can say most places only bust them out for eggs. I cook eggs literally every single day at home, and use stainless steel.

The secret?

A good nonstick spray - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TBC07TW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I do not ever have an issue with eggs sticking.

Those nonstick compounds are a big ole' "This hopefully doesn't cause cancer and also hopefully doesn't flake off in microscopic amounts." I am stupidly cavalier about most cancer threats, believing they are unavoidable. But those nonstick things are something I don't gently caress around with unless I'm cooking on low, low, low heat.

Those compounds also get renamed loving constantly. You'll fall down a rabbit hole that basically ends with, "They're all the same poo poo from DuPont."

Also, using my stovetop one to two times a day for the better part of a decade, I've never turned an eye past half heat.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Ashamed to admit I never thought of using cooking spray and that's a happy alternative I'll try. Ty for all the help bird peeps.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Sorry I keep hogging and dampening the mood of the thread. Pesto is losing the ability to gain height when flying. He keeps missing his target by a scary margin.

He's going to have to be caged mostly for now.

This is it huh?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

faantastic posted:

Ashamed to admit I never thought of using cooking spray and that's a happy alternative I'll try. Ty for all the help bird peeps.

If you're on stainless steel, do this -

- preheat your pan for at least five minutes if you're sticking to about half heat

- Spray the unholy hell out of the pan, but not to the point where you get a puddle

- It might try to scorch, so quickly get the food in afterwards. If there is a little bit of brown, don't worry about it. But that spray I linked is the pro-choice.

- Things like olive oil are always thought to be healthy alternatives. It will scorch at the drop of a loving hat

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Sorry I keep hogging and dampening the mood of the thread. Pesto is losing the ability to gain height when flying. He keeps missing his target by a scary margin.

He's going to have to be caged mostly for now.

This is it huh?

My heart goes out to you and your flock. Not trying to give false hope, but my Yellow has looked like a goner on three different occasions and pulled through. Keep him comfortable and prepare for what could happen, but don't give up.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I thought about Yellow a lot throughout all this and how she's pulled through and continues to pull through despite being old and lumpy and mad and excellent

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The only thing worse than not having an avian vet and seeing your beloved bird become sick, is having an avian vet but not being able to schedule a realistic appointment. I think that's absolutely ridiculous that they're unable to make an emergency appointment, but it's par for the course as emphasis on pet care primarily goes towards dogs and cats and birds are usually just an afterthought.

Best of luck to you and Pesto, buddy. I hope this is something that is able to be overcome.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Plant, desperately hoping that Pesto suddenly makes a recovery. Absurd you won't be able to get him to a vet for literal months.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's not terribly helpful, but budgies are generally incredibly hardy.
My own Mr Man got terribly, horribly crushed in a door, and he healed up perfectly in 6 months.

I genuinely thought he was dead already, it really was that bad, but he was just really stiff for a couple of months, then he was fine.

It's probably a silly suggestion, but have you put a heat pad/hot water bottle near Pesto when he sleeps? Warmth can be such a help when a frail little animal is struggling to heal.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am sending you and particularly pesto the best vibes i can

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pookah posted:

It's not terribly helpful, but budgies are generally incredibly hardy.
My own Mr Man got terribly, horribly crushed in a door, and he healed up perfectly in 6 months.

I genuinely thought he was dead already, it really was that bad, but he was just really stiff for a couple of months, then he was fine.

It's probably a silly suggestion, but have you put a heat pad/hot water bottle near Pesto when he sleeps? Warmth can be such a help when a frail little animal is struggling to heal.

I was wondering if a heat lamp would be a good thing to get him. I'm trying to keep him as warm as possible but autumn is starting to creep in. I made a little blanket tent this morning and we both huddled down in there for an hour. Nice and toasty.

Also thank you for the kind words everyone. It's almost been a month of this, huh? Argh, I can't wait to get back home to see him.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I was wondering if a heat lamp would be a good thing to get him. I'm trying to keep him as warm as possible but autumn is starting to creep in. I made a little blanket tent this morning and we both huddled down in there for an hour. Nice and toasty.

Also thank you for the kind words everyone. It's almost been a month of this, huh? Argh, I can't wait to get back home to see him.

We're all cheering for him!!

Also, would any one like more Opal/Jasper pictures?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

yes please

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
apologies my desk is a disaster area, but.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Good evening, folks. Thank you for tuning into, "The Survival Instincts of Cockatiels." Here, we have a prime example of one such parrot displaying excellent spacial awareness. She has decided it best to sit staring at the wall, as all cockatiels do, making sure the wall does not try to eat her.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DrakIris posted:

apologies my desk is a disaster area, but.

Couldn't resist, they are so adorable :kimchi:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 17, 2023

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Our chickens wrestling over a block. One was carrying around with him all day and it lead to this mini-battle.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Pookah posted:

Couldn't resist, they are so adorable :kimchi:

Oh my gods.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Birds really are the best thing about this planet. :3:

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Small *~*henlo*~*

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I always say you find a match with a parrot, then worry about the species. Some are obviously not compatible with all households. But I've never been one to say I'M GETTING "X" BREED OF SMALL PARROT!!! Before Serra, I almost got a quaker that loved me.

If I ever have an opening in my home and fine a Caique that luuurves me, they are coming home.

But right now, we have a full house thanks to this potato-shaped being full of fake fury.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hang in there Pesto :lovebird:

Loving all the bird pics recently, so many good floofs out there.

Managed to get a goofy shot of this giant derp mid-beak grind, haha

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is very (not) Fat and Sassy.

If my finger dared stray too close to her beloved drink cubby, I would get a ferocious squeak and beak.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay thread uh. I found a downed songbird outside in the yard, hiding under a wheelbarrow. I moved the wheelbarrow (didn't roll it onto the bird thank goodness) but Apollo grabbed it in his mouth - before dropping when I ordered, thank god.

It's breathing and blinking, so I used paper towels to put it in a box and in our sunroom with the door open, so it's out of the rain. We put a little songbird seed in the box and a dish of water (wish I had shallower...)

and now uh. I can't drive and my partner is working.

Is there anything else I can do for this poor thing? Aside from keep the dog away from it?

It is still breathing and blinking and I am not touching it without a plan.

My hope is that it'll dry off, recover and fly away. My fear is that it won't.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Give him as much warmth as you possible can, you could even blow-dry him on the gentlest setting from afar (about 5-6 feet). I've seen songbirds suddenly pop back up from the brink but do be prepared for the worst.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay thread uh. I found a downed songbird outside in the yard, hiding under a wheelbarrow. I moved the wheelbarrow (didn't roll it onto the bird thank goodness) but Apollo grabbed it in his mouth - before dropping when I ordered, thank god.

It's breathing and blinking, so I used paper towels to put it in a box and in our sunroom with the door open, so it's out of the rain. We put a little songbird seed in the box and a dish of water (wish I had shallower...)

and now uh. I can't drive and my partner is working.

Is there anything else I can do for this poor thing? Aside from keep the dog away from it?

It is still breathing and blinking and I am not touching it without a plan.

My hope is that it'll dry off, recover and fly away. My fear is that it won't.

With avian influenza as epidemic as it is right now I wouldn't be handling any sick/dissheveled-looking wild birds tbh :( Now that you have it you can call a wildlife rehab place but I think the only thing you really can do is keep it warm and have food and water nearby. Do not touch it without gloves and a mask.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

With avian influenza as epidemic as it is right now I wouldn't be handling any sick/dissheveled-looking wild birds tbh :( Now that you have it you can call a wildlife rehab place but I think the only thing you really can do is keep it warm and have food and water nearby. Do not touch it without gloves and a mask.

I touched it with paper towels and it did not contact my skin, so, uh, hope that's enough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I stepped outside to see if the bird was okay, and it was standing up. It looked at me, then flew off. Phew!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Prooooobably not avian flu then?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I stepped outside to see if the bird was okay, and it was standing up. It looked at me, then flew off. Phew!

:toot:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

A happy ending!

Hey, is anyone else's bird obsessed with feet? Or just mine :aaaaa:

https://youtube.com/shorts/H7wYCC3p81A?si=hKnMtMEg36P4t9wb

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

StrixNebulosa posted:

Avian flew!

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

bee posted:

A happy ending!

Hey, is anyone else's bird obsessed with feet? Or just mine :aaaaa:

https://youtube.com/shorts/H7wYCC3p81A?si=hKnMtMEg36P4t9wb

Miiiine like to attack my toes viciously and without warning ;-;

bee
Dec 17, 2008

DrakIris posted:

Miiiine like to attack my toes viciously and without warning ;-;

Tux will bite the toes. He just wants to sing to them first.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Here's a little diagram of how I've been trying to keep Pesto warm. I can't keep disrupting him throughout the night to change the towels and I don't want him sitting in a moist chamber for too long so we only do this for a couple hours tops.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Here's a little diagram of how I've been trying to keep Pesto warm.

Do you happen to have a hot water bottle? That might work a bit better overnight possibly, in lieu of buying a little K&H bird heater or something.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Plastic Pal posted:

Do you happen to have a hot water bottle? That might work a bit better overnight possibly, in lieu of buying a little K&H bird heater or something.

Someone else suggested a hot water bottle. So I went out and picked one up at the pharmacy. We'll see how that goes. Right now Pesto is having an out-of-cage experience. Although he can't fly from spot to spot, he's figuring out how he can walk across his cage, jump to the TV, float to the shelf, then to the window ledge and then onto his tree.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how impossible would it be to raise the room temperature honestly

also is this a critical care thing, as in he is unable to regulate his body temperature right now? if so I can mail you a rescue incubator for overnight use, I'd only ask that you mail it back when he recovers

edit: it sounds like you're doing this for comfort but I'm not sure, I'd rather ask than not speak up

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

At this time of the year it's not hard to keep the room at 23-24 degrees celsius. I just know sick birdies appreciate a few extra degrees.

I appreciate the thought, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That's a really good MSPaint budgie.

Be well, Pesto