Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Maybe it will have a healthier life on its own in the wild?

Are you kidding? An f35 raised in captivity can't survive in the wild on its own. It has no idea how to launch live missiles or forage for jp8 by itself. I'm sorry to say that plane is almost certainly already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's gonna join the TBF Avengers from Flight 19

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Icebergs melting is the reason Russia and China spending so much in the arctic and new northern sea port to get in on the arctic sea route early.

If the Biden's infrastructure PPT projects are real they would have spent the infrastructure money on a competing arctic route.

Both Russia and China are lookin at this from the business angle and the US is still looking at it from the military/patraling angle.

the US is obv the ferengi in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqW4GVOZN7Q

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Supposedly they fished out that F35 that got drowned in the ocean because they afraid of China grabbing it from the bottom of the ocean.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Slavvy posted:

Are you kidding? An f35 raised in captivity can't survive in the wild on its own. It has no idea how to launch live missiles or forage for jp8 by itself. I'm sorry to say that plane is almost certainly already dead.

:hai:

imagine that poor thing when it rains!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
based on how quick they are to lose A WHOLE loving 5TH GENERATION FIGHTER im starting to believe they couldn't find the shot down ufos afterall

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mister Bates posted:

people believed it so fanatically that there were multiple attempts in the 1980s to sneak into Vietnam or Laos to find and 'rescue' the prisoners they were allegedly still keeping, including one where they announced their starting location, date, and time, sold merch like flags and T-shirts to commemorate it, and were anticlimactically stopped by Laotian border police immediately and sent back

there were also Vietnam vets denouncing McCain as a traitor in 2008 for publicly stating he didn't think there were any live POWs still being held in Vietnam

Senator Jesse Helms went even further, and claimed in the early 1990s that not only was Vietnam still secretly holding American POWs, but that the Soviet Union - which was months away from ceasing to exist at that point - was also still secretly holding American POWs from the Korean War

Americans really do love a good conspiracy theory and will commit acts of war in service of them lol.

Anyway yeah imagine sitting on prisoners for decades and decades as both of you turn into old men when you could just as get rid of them and close the camps and do something else. The only country I know of that does is... well what do you know, another projection, we do this with Gitmo :v:

stephenthinkpad posted:

Icebergs melting is the reason Russia and China spending so much in the arctic and new northern sea port to get in on the arctic sea route early.

If the Biden's infrastructure PPT projects are real they would have spent the infrastructure money on a competing arctic route.

Both Russia and China are lookin at this from the business angle and the US is still looking at it from the military/patraling angle.

Au contraire, all investment in every country is dedicated to making the arctic ice free.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Supposedly they fished out that F35 that got drowned in the ocean because they afraid of China grabbing it from the bottom of the ocean.

which is funny because it's a open secret that China got all the data on the F35

there's nothing they don't know about that plane

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
leave it to a marine corp pilot to eject out of a perfectly good airplane. a very expensive game of lawn darts

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

which is funny because it's a open secret that China got all the data on the F35

there's nothing they don't know about that plane

I remember the ensuing witch hunt. Didn't they also manage to get F-22 stuff off the same server?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

china got the f35 specs and then put a second engine on it and got rid of vtol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hatebag posted:

china got the f35 specs and then put a second engine on it and got rid of vtol

the chinese just copy and fix all the fuckups, and make it manufacturable, and downcost it, and and and

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I thought both the J20 and the upcoming J35 are twin engine fighters. How much can you copy from the single engine F35? Also the protype J31 thing looked much more like the F35.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's less of a thing you copy and more of an example of what not to do

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
safety briefs gonna be rough in that squadron for a while

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

safety briefs gonna be rough in that squadron for a while

?? Everyone got home safe I don't see the problem

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

?? Everyone got home safe I don't see the problem

autoyeeted the pilot to safety. american engineering stays winning

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Single use F35s are the safest from the standpoint of sanitation.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

I thought both the J20 and the upcoming J35 are twin engine fighters. How much can you copy from the single engine F35? Also the protype J31 thing looked much more like the F35.

Every designer Ive heard talk about the j20 has said that its a unique design and that probably scares them more than them being carbon copies of existing us crafts

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
dude, where's my $78 million 5th generation fighter jet?? :downs:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the f35 schematics are vital to chinese fighter development, anytime one of the engineers is feeling down all they have to do is go take a look at 'em and have a good, healthy laugh

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

yeah that's part of why the "china stole the f35 blueprints" story doesn't make sense. they made a much better jet that's like half the price!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
As the knowledge that stealth is kind of a joke against L-band radars proliferates, people increasingly switch the argument for why the F-35 is awesome to avionics and network interfaces. Which I think are probably less copyable than manufacturing and physical performance specs, which by themselves are not very impressive.

That said there is literally no reason why China could not write its own software and make its own network hardware with similar capabilities. Would probably work better than whatever Lockheed wrote.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
considering calling the hotline to ask if their f35 is running

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

As the knowledge that stealth is kind of a joke against L-band radars proliferates, people increasingly switch the argument for why the F-35 is awesome to avionics and network interfaces. Which I think are probably less copyable than manufacturing and physical performance specs, which by themselves are not very impressive.

That said there is literally no reason why China could not write its own software and make its own network hardware with similar capabilities. Would probably work better than whatever Lockheed wrote.

"our sensor fusion will make up for performance, stealth, weapons, and maintainability deficiencies" is just elan with more branding. our combat intangibles create unique value!!! you cant just shoot a pl15 at us!!!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

The Oldest Man posted:

"our sensor fusion will make up for performance, stealth, weapons, and maintainability deficiencies" is just elan with more branding. our combat intangibles create unique value!!! you cant just shoot a pl15 at us!!!

Whenever I dunk on the F-35 too hard a lot of my gearhead friends, who are not generally fans of the US, will come out of the woodwork to say how much people they know who got to fly F-35s salivate over them like that's an actual argument.

Well of loving course some dipshit pilot will salivate over it, they willingly joined the US military.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i wonder if f35s can be remotely piloted like boeing 757s and 767s can

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Whenever I dunk on the F-35 too hard a lot of my gearhead friends, who are not generally fans of the US, will come out of the woodwork to say how much people they know who got to fly F-35s salivate over them like that's an actual argument.

Well of loving course some dipshit pilot will salivate over it, they willingly joined the US military.

Whatever it is, it's still a fast jet and that's all anyone who signs up is dreaming about.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i'll defer to any us military pilot who's seen air to air combat

yeah i'll wait

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

we can resolve this in war thunder with the proper documentation

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

DancingShade posted:

:agreed:
I present to you exhibit A of more than we can fit in this courtoom. I just like the presentation.

why are you posting this chud's YT vid

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I hope that lil' plucky F-35 is having fun adventures around the world. :kiddo:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Danann posted:

we can resolve this in war thunder with the proper documentation

Hoping for a world where all international political disputes are settled Mobile Fighter G Gundam style via War Thunder matches. Every nation is now legally required to provide online War Thunder forums with extensive documentation in order to avoid disqualification.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Every designer Ive heard talk about the j20 has said that its a unique design and that probably scares them more than them being carbon copies of existing us crafts

Which is funny because all the laymen hate it because it's different than american designs. Canards = no stealth, no gun = no dog fighting, this thing sucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tbh I think the lack of a gun is a legitimately bad thing

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I tend to agree but it's probably a doctrine thing. Keep the expensive fighters back lobbing hypersonics, which they can carry more of without the weight of the gun, and send the cheaper fighters in closer.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Remember when the US military said the F-35 was fully operational and in service and then Lockheed Martin said it will take another 4 years to write the software to fire the gun, and until then the gun does nothing.

That was some years ago. I wonder if the gun works now.

On a more serious note, yeah I think guns are good. The US has tried to get rid of guns from planes many times and it's always been a mistake. That said, the J-20 should be understood in the context of a high\low mix with Flankers, which are the world's most manoeuvrable dogfighters with the exception of the Su-57, of which only a handful exist. China operates a huge fleet of Flankers. The J-20s job is not dogfighting. Incidentally, the US also says the F-35's job is not dogfighting, and that dogfighting is stupid in general, so I doubt the US will be really trying to get into a dogfight with the J-20.

The other thing is that if the US was at war with China, it would likely mostly rely on Hornets from carriers, and F-16s from local vassals. Neither of those is an F-35.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Sep 18, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1703827299412455459

the jet is still missing

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

im gonna call the missing f35 hotline and ask if they checked their pockets and couch cushions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will help find the F35...
For 79 million dollars