Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
OG mercs was fun. I don't think I could do it with the new twitchy controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://youtu.be/FtRvj5XW1H8?si=TJhSf0nh6DaNylhJ

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

people predicted it but it looks like a lot of the missing sections from the og game are going to be in separate ways

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1703786054736891946?s=20

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mantis42 posted:

people predicted it but it looks like a lot of the missing sections from the og game are going to be in separate ways

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1703786054736891946?s=20

You can yoink peoples' shields away? :krad:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I love this dev team.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Looks like everyone who was upset about the missing gondola section and laser hallway will be happy with this

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

Looks like everyone who was upset about the missing gondola section and laser hallway will be happy with this

I kinda miss U-13, the ugly bastard. That was an intense fight all the way through.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

but will it bring back the random lava room in the castle

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I was wondering what happened to the second verdugo during the first play through. Good to see some of the missing content from OG4 making a return here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My one wish is that the main game Salazar statue was a fakeout like that dog, and we get a full on chase scene in the dlc. I don't care how it works storywise, it has to happen.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Looks cool as hell. Re4 is one of my favorite games ever.

...I might buckle down and get a console to play the re-make with my family. Does it run better on X-box or PS5?

Maybe I should go PC instead. We could probably use a computer anyway.

Idk I just want to kick random guys in the face.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Treecko posted:

...I might buckle down and get a console to play the re-make with my family. Does it run better on X-box or PS5?

I cant say for xbox but on PS5 if you run it on graphics (resolution) mode with ray tracing turned off, it's smooth 60 frames with no frame drops and looks really good.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 18, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Treecko posted:

Get it on PC so you can eventually mod in silly poo poo if you want.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I would caution against buying the PC version of RE4R since some people have had issues with crashing if you turn the graphics even up to something appropriate for your PC.

Issue seems to be whenever the VRAM is filled the game crashes instead of buffering it somewhere else like usual. Random things can make the VRAM usage spike which will crash the game. It varies but I have a 3080 and the game will crash what seems like every half hour unless I keep all the settings on absolute minimum which doesn't even eliminate the problem for me just make it maybe barely acceptable. IMO in this state the game is busted on PC and there doesn't seem to be a fix in the pipeline half a year after release which is completely unacceptable.

I'm split between trying to get a refund (I'm waaayyyy past the auto Refund on Steam since I spent so much time loving around trying to solve the issue, thinking I had fixed it, having it return, etc., etc. but ya never know) and playing it on PS4 or maybe a PS5/NuBox whenever I get one or just trying to muddle through the game on PC and/or praying for a fix. Just so lovely since I was looking forward to the game and love it when it's actually working for me. Don't know WTF they did on this one since all the other REngine games have been great on PC.

Of course as with all PC game issues maybe you'll get lucky and not have an issue at all!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Yeah so that's kind of what I'm asking.

I don't want to go out and spend a bunch of money if it's just going to run like dogshit. And I'm definitely not going to buy something just to play RE4 again, I already have OG on my Switch.

I'm not really interested in mods or graphic settings.

There's other threads to ask about other games for each system, I'm just trying to get an idea for what would be better. I'm trying to keep an eye out for decent deals and plan ahead, so I really appreciate the input.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh no, I messed up my run, I just got to the first Gigante and realized I forgot to save that dog. First time on any run in either version
:rip::smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh no, I messed up my run, I just got to the first Gigante and realized I forgot to save that dog. First time on any run in either version
:rip::smith:

Reason to go back to an earlier save.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Treecko posted:

Yeah so that's kind of what I'm asking.

I don't want to go out and spend a bunch of money if it's just going to run like dogshit. And I'm definitely not going to buy something just to play RE4 again, I already have OG on my Switch.

I'm not really interested in mods or graphic settings.

There's other threads to ask about other games for each system, I'm just trying to get an idea for what would be better. I'm trying to keep an eye out for decent deals and plan ahead, so I really appreciate the input.

Check out the DigitalFoundry vid for a great comparison between consoles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x88molgdmcI

The PS4 version is sorta compromised but you might wanna check it out if you have one and don't really want to buy a current gen console for anything else

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I hope they have the retro soundtrack option thing for this as well. OG Separate Ways soundtrack loving slapped hard

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I would caution against buying the PC version of RE4R since some people have had issues with crashing if you turn the graphics even up to something appropriate for your PC.

Issue seems to be whenever the VRAM is filled the game crashes instead of buffering it somewhere else like usual. Random things can make the VRAM usage spike which will crash the game. It varies but I have a 3080 and the game will crash what seems like every half hour unless I keep all the settings on absolute minimum which doesn't even eliminate the problem for me just make it maybe barely acceptable. IMO in this state the game is busted on PC and there doesn't seem to be a fix in the pipeline half a year after release which is completely unacceptable.

I'm split between trying to get a refund (I'm waaayyyy past the auto Refund on Steam since I spent so much time loving around trying to solve the issue, thinking I had fixed it, having it return, etc., etc. but ya never know) and playing it on PS4 or maybe a PS5/NuBox whenever I get one or just trying to muddle through the game on PC and/or praying for a fix. Just so lovely since I was looking forward to the game and love it when it's actually working for me. Don't know WTF they did on this one since all the other REngine games have been great on PC.

Of course as with all PC game issues maybe you'll get lucky and not have an issue at all!

This is fascinating, I ran it on a 2070 super and had none of those issues, ran it on mid settings that my vram and RAM could handle. It's so interesting how so many recent games have run so bad on 30xx and 40xx NVIDIA cards (and equiv AMD cards).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Aces High posted:

I hope they have the retro soundtrack option thing for this as well. OG Separate Ways soundtrack loving slapped hard

I love when people love RE music, walk the path of the chosen into paradise Aces High.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still haven't picked it up and was thinking of getting it for my birthday next month. Can I get some more PC anecdotes to see how bad this crashing issue is?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have a 11th gen i7 & 3080 and was able to run the game maxed at 120fps and never crashed, so my hardware is pretty good but it's not toppest end either.
Did drop frames into the 90s at times but not often.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't remember having stability issues on my Triton 300 SE

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

codo27 posted:

Still haven't picked it up and was thinking of getting it for my birthday next month. Can I get some more PC anecdotes to see how bad this crashing issue is?

On a 5600x and a 3070. No issues whatsoever, even after adding speedrunning tools/mods.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had no issues with 2 or 3 either, or 7 or 8. How long out do you think a complete edition with DLC is? I guess it wont be soon

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's the chainsaw demo on steam if you want to try it on your machine without having to refund if it doesn't work.

hard to say when the "gold edition" would be. it dropped same time as the final dlcs for 7 and 8, but you'd think it would be announced now if it was coming with separate ways.
probably will announce its release date when the VR patch drops?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc the ram issue was something weird like specifically during cutscenes while it was using 10+ gb vram

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's a total dice roll whether you'll have the VRAM crashing issue

The extra-frustrating thing is it runs really well for me on a 3080/i7 running @ 5kMHz I just can't actually play it with any of the settings turned up beyond minimum since that makes it crash within 5-10 minutes

I guess I'm getting sick gam3r framerates while I play with sub-PS4 grafffixxxx

I've heard the free Chainsaw Demo has the same issues as the main game so if you can run around in there with the settings turned up you'll probably have no issues with the main game on your setup. Turn everything up past where you would set it for your preferred framerate and see how it goes.

site posted:

iirc the ram issue was something weird like specifically during cutscenes while it was using 10+ gb vram

For me it crashes whenever the gently caress it feels like it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Had no issue with a Ryzen 7 and a 3090.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh and it runs fine on my partners machine with a 2060 and a mid-tier AMD processor from... 3? gens ago lol

I wouldn't say the game is poorly-optimized or anything but if your specific setup/astrological sign/blood type displeases the gods then the crashing issue may make it unplayable

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Seperate Ways goes live tonight 9 PST per their social media

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

man nurse posted:

Seperate Ways goes live tonight 9 PST per their social media

Oh wow, I assumed it was late tomorrow night. I'm not even halfway through my 4 rerun yet :sweatdrop:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh wow, I assumed it was late tomorrow night. I'm not even halfway through my 12th 4 rerun yet :sweatdrop:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My mind is fuckin gone. I downloaded the chainsaw demo last night and realized almost immediately that I had in fact played it before. Its funny how the RE engine keeps putting your VRAM bar into the red zone but everything just runs perfectly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can quit whenever I want

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can quit whenever I want

I think I'm actually on my 11th run ... And those were mostly done in the first month. My fingers were sore from my lack of a life

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Random question but is this the kind of DLC that unlocks stuff in the main game? I was steeling myself for a big Leonventure of replaying RE2R -> RE4R this October but now I'm wondering if I should throw in Separate Ways between the two.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Random question but is this the kind of DLC that unlocks stuff in the main game? I was steeling myself for a big Leonventure of replaying RE2R -> RE4R this October but now I'm wondering if I should throw in Separate Ways between the two.

Unless they add something with it, no. Everything is obtainable in the main game or Mercenaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Not sure but it is meant to be played after the main story so you may as well do the main game first