Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Coming up on a year of owning the Sony WH-1000XM5's and dutifully wearing them basically every week day at work and figured I'd put some thoughts down.

• Ear cups and headband material are holding up though I do wipe them when I'm done wearing them so my crud don't stay on them when I store them back in their case.
  • Case is also holding up, I recall the zipper on my Bose QC35's broke within months when I had it.
  • App is fine, I don't use many of functions in there, only to use the equalizer to clean up the bass since by default they are muddy and the occasional FW update (think I've done 2 at this point since owning it).
  • Touch controls are OK if a little annoying. Foward/Backward/Volume all work pretty well and consistent. Pause/Play can be be the opposite as it will ignore my taps for some reason.
  • Automatic transparency mode when speaking is annoying as poo poo because it activates just by moving your mouth, not necessarily speaking and I have to turn it off since it activates when I don't want it to but because it also has touch controls to enable/disable, it likes to turn itself on at times when I don't want it mostly from me handling them in my hands. I wish it was just a hard toggle because it is not a feature I like or care to use. I find the manual (either with the button or cupping depending on the length of the conversation) transparency mode much more useful.
  • Automatic ear detection is sketch. It'll work more often than not but at least twice now the headset turned off on me while wearing them thinking they were not on my ears. Inversely, it has continued to play things when the headset is not even on my head.
  • When not actively wearing them and I have them sitting around my neck, I wish the cups had full rotation so I can them rest cup side down, but they don't so they point awkwardly up. Not a fan.
  • Call quality has been fine, at least no one has complained they couldn't hear me or sound weird.
  • Battery life with ANC on has been decent. Lasts like a few full work days on a full charge and charging is quicker so I find myself topping it up during my lunch break.
  • ANC quality is good. As good as the QC35 from memory and I sit in full climate controlled lab with audible air conditioners and it makes them almost whisper quiet. I certainly don't hear them when playing music.

That's all I can really think of at the moment, at least things that have stood out. Overall I'm happy with them if the annoying parts happen a bit too often. But for 270 bucks from a Black Friday deal last year, at a time when this headset didn't have deep discounts at the time, I'm not going to complain too much.

other than my XM4s melting while charging, which gives me pause (Sony replaced them though) I'm pretty much a die hard Sony loyalist now. I'm willing to consider that a fluke. Not long after getting those, I splurged on some Inzone H9s which are basically just gaming XM5s and I love them.

Really the sound quality on both headsets is very good, not anything super noteworthy but no complaints. The ANC and comfort are just so much better than other headphones I've used though. I could just wear them all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

veni veni veni posted:

other than my XM4s melting while charging, which gives me pause (Sony replaced them though) I'm pretty much a die hard Sony loyalist now. I'm willing to consider that a fluke. Not long after getting those, I splurged on some Inzone H9s which are basically just gaming XM5s and I love them.

Really the sound quality on both headsets is very good, not anything super noteworthy but no complaints. The ANC and comfort are just so much better than other headphones I've used though. I could just wear them all day.

Yeah, can't speak on the XM4, but the XM5's are pretty comfortable which is a long way from the XM1 back in the day which had a fuckin' vice grip with its headband that literally gave me a headache after only 15 minutes of wearing them. I straight up returned them with in the same week I bought them because I could just not handle it at all. It made me go back to Bose for their headphones for a time until I came back for the XM5.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Had no clue there was a new thread. Was this ever even linked in the old one? lol

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yep

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

101 posted:

Had no clue there was a new thread. Was this ever even linked in the old one? lol

multiple times, yes lol

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

multiple times, yes lol

I only see once and tbf you'd usually close the old thread as you post a link to the new one.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Absolutely! But the old op hasn't posted in ages and it took a while to get the thread closed

IYG takes a while sometimes :shrug:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

101 posted:

I only see once and tbf you'd usually close the old thread as you post a link to the new one.

the op of the thread is MIA and iyg doesn't have a mod so I had to pm an admin to get it closed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've had a terminal lack of time to just sit down and listen to music lately but it's always nice when I can to finally just lay on the sofa and be reminded of how loving good the ER2SE is.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

oh my god you mad lads finally created a new headphone thread

*changes bookmark*

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Kirios posted:

oh my god you mad lads finally created a new headphone thread

*changes bookmark*

I've been granted the ability to tidy up about IYG so that's what I'm hoping to do!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mr. Mercury posted:

I've been granted the ability to tidy up about IYG so that's what I'm hoping to do!

hell yeah, go nuts with power

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Zorilla posted:

Moderate praise for the Bose QC 35 II

Welp, these ended up having issues with the audio cutting out periodically for about 0.5 seconds on just about every device I connected them to, and in two different locations. On at least three different occasions, it was bad enough that they would disconnect on me and immediately reconnect after. My problems persisted even when following the commonly suggested workaround of limiting myself to a single device connection. I have no idea if this comes down to a general problem with this model or a defect specifically with mine. Either way, they had to go back to the seller.

In the mean time, I managed to find some QC 45s for cheap because they were mislabeled as QC 35 I in the listing. Sadly, these seem to be a noticeable downgrade from past models in many respects. While the QC 35 IIs were fairly neutral (except for 2-3 dB of excessive bass I had to EQ out), these ones seem to have received the Beats treatment. Even with the built-in EQ active, it still sounds incredibly V-shaped, even compared to my M50xBTs, which already have a "fun" tuning. More importantly, I no longer feel like I could bring these on a trip as my only pair of headphones like I could with the QC 35 IIs.

Unlike the QC 35, you can't disable the ANC; your choices are fully on or "Aware Mode" (their ambient sound setting). I strongly suspect Bose is attempting to mask the presence of a noisy DAC. In a quiet setting, I am picking up something that sounds like it could either be really soft crosstalk in the left channel, or maybe it's just noise introduced from the ANC process. I'm also hearing a soft clicking noise whenever I start or stop audio playback, which is pretty unbecoming of a headphone that retails for $330.

Even the physical build quality seems to have been "streamlined" (i.e. cheapened) slightly. The buttons have less tactile feedback, the "L" and "R" indicators on the earcup liners are screened on instead of woven into the fabric, the partial suede headband surface is now vinyl all the way around, and the outer earcups appear to be made of plastic instead of stamped metal and have screened on logos instead of raised ones with a grooved, reflective finish. I knew most of this going in just based on the product photos alone, so no big deal there.

Comfort is completely unchanged, if you're curious. The earpads on the QC 45s no longer have the pleats/ruffles where they meet the earcup, but are otherwise identical and fit as well as they always have.

Assuming my connectivity issues were just a one-off experience, I would give a nudge toward the QC 35/QC 35 II over the QC 45 if you're trying to decide between the two. The lack of EQ is a bummer, but it's only 3-band anyway and no amount of fiddling will even get the QC 45s to where the QC 35s were by default.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 16, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Also the Bose QC 45 superseded a couple hours ago: https://www.bose.com/pressroom/bose-announces-new-quietcomfort-ultra-headphones-and-earbuds

Should be able to snag some older models on the cheap this black Friday if I had to guess

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Interesting that they're replacing the QC2 earbuds so soon with a new pair of TWS that look very similar.
Ofc, functionality is a different matter

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Y'all got any recommendations for a durable USB-C to 3.5" adapter? The apple one may sound great and be cheap, but I've gone through multiple just plugged into something that never moves, it ain't gonna make it in my pocket.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Y'all got any recommendations for a durable USB-C to 3.5" adapter? The apple one may sound great and be cheap, but I've gone through multiple just plugged into something that never moves, it ain't gonna make it in my pocket.

They’re so cheap I just always have a replacement on hand but yeah they maybe make it a year or two and I’m vaguely interested to see if there is a more durable one out there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basically every IEM maker these days makes one. The Moondrop Click is one people really like.

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
I've had multiple moondrop clicks and they would only last about 2 weeks before breaking. Like they would just suddenly cut out, start blasting noise and stopped being recognized as an audio device.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Also Apple should replace theirs if it breaks in the first year. They are pretty good about it.

Those other two are solid choices though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've been using this one for a couple of months and I seems absolutely fine to me. Just £6.50.

Stouchi USB C to 3.5mm Jack, Type... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QHRHVKX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

redeyes posted:

My IEM company made a new one called Laserpants
The idea behind this one is to make something that has such extreme extension it makes even the most insane audiophile crumble. Mids = 17k!

[edit] this is too extended, fail for a tuning.

nobody wants to get on your Short Bus, redeyes

peddle your wares elsewhere, maybe at a Trump or DeSantis rally

edit: before anybody gets on my case, Short Bus is the name of his dipshit headphone company

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 17, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Howdy- this discussion, though it originated in the thread, is off-topic! Self-promotion is also off-topic, so there's that.

Is there any way I could convince you to report these things versus giving them air? I agree, the name is offensive to give a company; but this is the sort of thing a report or PM to modmin is for

Slurs, innuendo towards the same, etc. are against IYG rules and have no place here.

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 17, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mr. Mercury posted:

Is there any way I could convince you to report these things versus giving them air? I agree, the name is offensive to give a company; but this is the sort of thing a report or PM to modmin is for

is there any way i could convince you to just probe and move on so we don't have to air this out in the headphones thread

i appreciate the hands on approach but maybe it's better taken to a PM if you'd like to get into rehabbing posters (don't do that)

e: did you just probe yourself? lmao what the gently caress is happening

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 17, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

"Stay on-topic," is the headline here.

I don't want to keep this derail going.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 17, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was posting just for fun or just to chat about certain tunings. Clearly this is the wrong place. Wont happen again.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

I was posting just for fun or just to chat about certain tunings. Clearly this is the wrong place. Wont happen again.

i mean, do what you want but that guy was clearly out of line. i think your company name is dumb but also i don't really care, same as, i think, most people here. also maybe don't call your company short bus audio if you're going to be sensitive at people commenting on it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is there a way to find out who a set of Airpods Pro belongs to? Found them while walking and when I connected to them they didn't have a name or anything. I called Apple with the serial number but they said they weren't able to do anything with it. I'm on Android so I'd like to know if there's some Apple search function I can use before I start printing out flyers. They at least came with a colored silicone case so I can ask people to describe them to filter out people looking for a free pair of headphones.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Send them to me they’re mine thanks :v:

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 18, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there a way to find out who a set of Airpods Pro belongs to? Found them while walking and when I connected to them they didn't have a name or anything. I called Apple with the serial number but they said they weren't able to do anything with it. I'm on Android so I'd like to know if there's some Apple search function I can use before I start printing out flyers. They at least came with a colored silicone case so I can ask people to describe them to filter out people looking for a free pair of headphones.

Nope.

The newer ones have a find me option but beyond that there’s nothing you can do.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Airpods Pro should have Find Me, assuming they enabled it? I've never used anything in the Apple ecosystem, but my understanding is this works pretty well if you live near in a built up enough area that iPhones will see them assuming they're charged. Someone might just come knocking on your door one day.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207581

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah if they're Find My enabled the owner should theoretically be able to find them using that, but if not all you can really do is post a found ad and hope the owner sees it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is it like Airtags where it just passively connects to any Apple devices that are around? The name when I connect them is Airpods Pro - Find My, so I'm assuming that the owner realized they lost them and are trying to find them now. I don't have any Apple devices myself but I've got family who are all in on the ecosystem, would being near them be enough for them to show up if they try to geolocate them?

Alternatively, if I change the name of them to something like my phone number, would it show up in the owner's Find My app?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is it like Airtags where it just passively connects to any Apple devices that are around? The name when I connect them is Airpods Pro - Find My, so I'm assuming that the owner realized they lost them and are trying to find them now. I don't have any Apple devices myself but I've got family who are all in on the ecosystem, would being near them be enough for them to show up if they try to geolocate them?

Alternatively, if I change the name of them to something like my phone number, would it show up in the owner's Find My app?

If it has the UWB chip (effectively an integrated AirTag) in it'll show on the Find My network, which is a mesh network of every iPhone that hasn't opted out of the system. It depends on whether it's Airpods Pro 1st or 2nd gen though, 2nd gen has the UWB chip so can be precisely located through the network, 1st gen all you can do through Find My is make the case make a sound to find it in your house. I've never had to find something through the wider network though so I don't have first hand experience of how it shows up on device.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It looks like they're second generation, so hopefully we can touch base. I installed Apple's Tracker Detect app on my phone, will that allow my Android device to opt in to the Find My network, or is it more just a thing to tell you if someone's planted an airtag on you for stalking reasons? I know that was a big thing the news was freaking out about a while back. I've had it in scanning mode for a while and it doesn't seem to be detecting the UWB chip, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I literally just bought a set of Galaxy Buds2 yesterday because the USB-C port on my Pixel 2 is getting flakey with data connections. I know these things are stupid expensive from the research I've been doing so I really hope I can get them back to their owner.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As far as I know the Android Tracker app is just for finding Airtags. The pods showing up on the network will be reliant on someone else nearby having an iPhone in the network, which tbh is quite likely.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They started beeping! Walked around my building until I found the guy desperately looking at a map on his phone two floors below me. I connected it to a lab partner's Macbook and I'm guessing that told him where to start looking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

They started beeping! Walked around my building until I found the guy desperately looking at a map on his phone two floors below me. I connected it to a lab partner's Macbook and I'm guessing that told him where to start looking.

Nice! A success story!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The system works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have sort of utility-oriented question. My setup at my desk has my gaming PC and also a work laptop, for my keyboard and mouse I have a USB switcher, but so far for headphones I've just been manually reconnecting the cable from my gaming headset from one to the other when switching machines.

I'm wondering if there's a good wireless switching solution that I could use with wireless gaming headsets. I guess the ideal would be something that's a) low-latency/decent quality, b) stays 'paired' in some form to both computers so I don't have to manually go through bluetooth or similar settings every time I boot up, and c) can be switched between the two computers by just hitting a physical button on a device.

Is there such a thing?