Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I sort of like the variety on offer by having bonfires in a variety of places. It wouldn't really have worked in elden ring but it worked well in ds1 to leave you guessing what the spacing between bonfires was, and made finding the hidden ones really meaningful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1703815783216709995?t=o9WJ2bNFPyBiJK4TPtOOVw&s=19

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

cheetah7071 posted:

The runbacks in the dlc were designed by a madman but the bosses at the end of them were fairly simplistic and the (misguided) theory is they were supposed to be zones designed for co-op so I get the idea even if the execution wasn't so good

There's one or two difficult runbacks in the base game but I sort of like them as spots where the level itself is phase one of the boss

There are only 3 co-op bosses in the dlc: blue smelter, 2kat, and the gank squad. Their areas also had a gimmick where you could summon people from outside the dlc zone to play with people who didn't own the dlc.

The runback for Sir Alonne was brutal and 100% designed for normal singleplayer gameplay.

But then Fume Knight, one of the hardest bosses in the whole series, had a bonfire right next to him so you could throw yourself to your death endlessly. How kind!

Tunicate posted:

I tried moonlighter since it was one of the netflix free games and man it is pretty halfassed.

The idea is that you balance a series of procgen dungeon crawls with running a store, but the store running is just "put a price on your products and drop them on a shelf for a npc to buy".

There is an exact optimal price to sell each thing, which you are not told by the game but can discover it by doing a binary search with your price until you hit it exactly, after which you will never change the price for that item again.

You can buy upgrades to get more money or shelves but that's it for shop gameplay. It's more of a tedious selling ui than an actual gsmeplay mode.

You can also figure out optimal prices even more easily by checking out the items in your rival's shop. He always sells at some exact multiple of the true price so you just divide by 2 or whatever the number is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Yes we sold 0 copies of our most popular title ever, so we don't owe anything. Thank you"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't foresee Unity coming back from this that easily, people (especially indie devs) are going to remember that they tried to ratfuck them and could likely do so again

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

note that the most significant change isn't listed in the tweet, which is that installation counts will no longer be retroactive

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's always a new set of devs who have no idea about anything to do with the industry. While searches for "how do I make game do...?" guides are dominated by results using Unity as default, they'll get fresh blood.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

goatface posted:

There's always a new set of devs who have no idea about anything to do with the industry. While searches for "how do I make game do...?" guides are dominated by results using Unity as default, they'll get fresh blood.

sure, and a ton of game dev schools are basically unity factories. none of that matters, what matters is whether it continues to be used by major studios for ad supported products using unity's ad services because that's what makes money. and that's the part that went down the toilet and probably isn't coming back.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lmao per unit royalty capped at 4% of revenue is basically a dream deal, if they had just done that from the start barely anyone would have cared

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Tunicate posted:

I tried moonlighter since it was one of the netflix free games and man it is pretty halfassed.

The idea is that you balance a series of procgen dungeon crawls with running a store, but the store running is just "put a price on your products and drop them on a shelf for a npc to buy".

There is an exact optimal price to sell each thing, which you are not told by the game but can discover it by doing a binary search with your price until you hit it exactly, after which you will never change the price for that item again.

You can buy upgrades to get more money or shelves but that's it for shop gameplay. It's more of a tedious selling ui than an actual gsmeplay mode.

I remember that the main character just wants to adventure and isn't that invested in the shop, if I'm recalling right. It's a pretty relatable feeling in my experience.

In practice I found it was just better to use the thing that lets you trash items straight from your inventory and get a portion of the sale price. From what I played, nothing really makes the storekeeping that interesting and the only things that sold well was stuff you were going to want for upgrading your gear.

Perhaps it gets better later, but it did not hook me for particularly long. I believe I quietly put it down around the end of the first dungeon or so.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Unfortunately nothing really compares to Recettear. The closest I've found is this, but it's really only the shop half of Recettear stapled to a roguelite.

Which, don't get me wrong, is extremely my jam, but I would like another Recettear including the dungeon crawling.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
dave the diver is kind of like recettear but instead of exploring a dungeon you go on dives and instead of an item shop you run a sushi restaurant
if you're after the specific shop gameplay you won't get it though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dave the diver sounds like a whole game spun out of that one bit from kentucky route zero with the floating restaurant

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

yeah it owns

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
What about Battle Chef Brigade?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Battle Chef Brigade should've been way better than it was.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
dave the diver is good but the pacing is annoying and the minigames are a bit hit or miss

i hope they do a sequel i bet they could polish it into a diamond

e: pearl, gently caress

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

What about Battle Chef Brigade?

I enjoyed it but that was way back when the Switch first launched so probably doesn't hold up as well now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there a game where you play as a clan and shoot pearls? I'll settle for any clam game I guess just because they way they move is fun.

That could be a good Subnauticalike hook, not just clams, but you play as the different animals and.move around the food web and maybe learn a little something about animal facts along the way. Call it Evonauticaodell Lake

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arzaac posted:

Unfortunately nothing really compares to Recettear. The closest I've found is this, but it's really only the shop half of Recettear stapled to a roguelite.

Which, don't get me wrong, is extremely my jam, but I would like another Recettear including the dungeon crawling.

I’ve heard Potionomics compared to Recettear favorably.

E:oh oops, sorry missed the focus on dungeon crawling, which potionomics doesn’t have. Sorry I’m sick and my brain is leaking.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does Lies of Pee have boss runbacks and how bad are they if so

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Owl Inspector posted:

Does Lies of Pee have boss runbacks and how bad are they if so

Judging from the demo, yes, but they aren't too bad. It also makes the fairly significant change of dropping your souls outside the boss door rather than in the arena after you commit to the fight, so if the boss kicks your rear end you can take all your souls back and go spend them before the next try

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm loving loving Lies of P. It has a few minor issues (especially the dodge) but stuff like the parry help in that regard. Easily the best non-FromSoft souls-like ever made.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Prepare to lie

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm looking forward to trying it out, but i gotta finish this heckin No Man's Sky expedition first

i can kind of see the appeal of these in the long run, but starting one up (which basically makes you go through most of the early game progression on a fresh character, reminds me of a new path of exile league with unique rewards) after having just started up a new character already is pretty draining

still, i'm having fun. i spent my quicksilver on a new head cosmetic and now i'm a cool shark

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah the expeditions are very much a diablo season type of thing, for people that are too bored or rich on their regular character they've been playing for years

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm looking forward to trying it out, but i gotta finish this heckin No Man's Sky expedition first

i can kind of see the appeal of these in the long run, but starting one up (which basically makes you go through most of the early game progression on a fresh character, reminds me of a new path of exile league with unique rewards) after having just started up a new character already is pretty draining

still, i'm having fun. i spent my quicksilver on a new head cosmetic and now i'm a cool shark

I like them when I haven't played in a while and they're a fun way to quickly go through the game in a novel way and usually unlock something cool on your main save after.

I found a way to play past expeditions as well but tricking the clock essentially, but doing a bunch in a row isn't as fun as that first time back, so I see why they don't keep them available all the time. Plus you can easily just give your main save the bonuses anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Having to decide between Lies of P or Sekiro on sale

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Lies of P is on the Game of Pass

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Steve Yun posted:

If you haven't played either it's a no brainer I think.

Granted I haven't actually played P but Sekiro is the game every action game since then has tried to copy in one way or the other.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Sekiro is my favorite From game since the plodding, deliberate fight pacing of the typical games isn't my favorite thing even though I really enjoyed exploring their worlds

But yeah if you haven't played it and you're into action games at all please, please play Sekiro

Was thinking about like Revengeance vs Sekiro- Sekiro is the better game mechanically and just in terms of being a vastly more complete, cohesive work but the much less oppressive gameplay and the weird blend Metal Gear and Platinum narrative hype is Revengeance is also still fun and I would buy a theoretical Revengeance 2 in a heartbeat

Man I hope Platinum still keeps going even if their recent output hasn't been the best stuff they've ever done

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm loving loving Lies of P. It has a few minor issues (especially the dodge) but stuff like the parry help in that regard. Easily the best non-FromSoft souls-like ever made.

Actually that's gonna be Silksong when it comes out in the next millennium

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished the demo content in Lies of P again now that the full game is out, Scrapped Watchman is legit an all-timer Souls boss.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the grimdark Pinocchio souls like. It should not exist and in my world shall not

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

so what are the lies of P

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
P’s hud is still way too cluttered. really wish it’d fade out when you weren’t in combat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the grimdark Pinocchio souls like. It should not exist and in my world shall not

This was once a safe haven for hunters. A workshop where hunters used blood to enhance their weapons and flesh. We don't have as many tools as we once did, but... You're welcome to use whatever you find.

Even the puppet, should it please you...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

lets hang out posted:

so what are the lies of P

from what i've seen the game actually has some kinda moral choice truth/lie system
there's one in the demo/tutorial where the game springs it on you and forces you to lie about being human to continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it is extremely funny that the company that produced lies of P is the same brains behind loving Bless Online, so you've got this grimdark pinocchio soulslike that's angling for a gothic victorian style and then you run smack dab into the most generic KMMO anime babe you've ever done seen