Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
following Elon's lead in setting my company on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's literally not even possible to self-report installs because that's not information that can even be tracked by developers.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Are customers supposed to report in each time they install a game?

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Unity was claiming they could retroactively determine the amount of installs because of "lol, proprietary stuff, just trust us bro". Which implies they are either tracking that somehow and not telling anyone (hello GDPR) or just lying. :shrug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I got Jedi Survivor on sale, and man what a tragedy this game is. It's an awesome game, super fun, love how it doesn't strip your powers you earned in the first one but just enhances them, looks absolutely gorgeous, great combat and settings, no real bugs, etc.

But unfortunately I am not one of those who the performance issues doesn't effect. This motherfucking game drops frames ALL THE TIME. All the time. Even though my system is not struggling with it by any metric I can find.

I cannot believe they haven't managed to fix it yet, and I'm not running it with settings that should have issues on my system. It is just broken inside somehow and even Patch 7 didn't fix it. Very strange.

RandomBlue posted:

The driving felt like utter poo poo to me in The Crew and the The Crew 2, I have no idea why the reviews for it are so high, it sucks.

Yeah after playing the free trial, I won't be buying it. Well, I probably will but only in a couplefew years once it's a lot cheaper than it is.

The Crew and The Crew 2 had absolutely horrible driving feel for the most part. This one is an improvement in my opinion, still vary arcadey but at least feels way less 'on rails' than the first two. Also turning the AI opponents up all the way makes for a real challenge, they are hard af to beat.

That being said, I just wasn't having that much fun. Not a fan of the nitro, especially automatically filling nitro (I think it can be fun if there is a mechanism to fill nitro, like nailing a corner, NFS Unbound has a pretty cool system for that imo). The whole thing just feels a bit bland and not all that fun, not worth hours of my time. I also get the feeling that once you run out playlist content it will be even less rewarding.

I'll still buy it eventually because I love racing games, but I have too many other excellent games to be playing right now and not enough time to play them in already.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Slice and Dice on the elliptical machine. It's perfect. I can't imagine a better elliptical game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Objective Action posted:

Unity was claiming they could retroactively determine the amount of installs because of "lol, proprietary stuff, just trust us bro". Which implies they are either tracking that somehow and not telling anyone (hello GDPR) or just lying. :shrug:

I was thinking about this and actually, couldn't they just ask steam, gog and epic (+whoever, but that would be the bulk of them) for the number of downloads?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Why would those platforms give them that info though

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Resdfru posted:

Why would those platforms give them that info though

Money

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I was thinking about this and actually, couldn't they just ask steam, gog and epic (+whoever, but that would be the bulk of them) for the number of downloads?

I have lots of games downloaded that I’ve never actually opened so the install never finished.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haha, yea I'm sure Unity is gonna cut them all in on that $0.20 fee if they go out of their way to provide the download data.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MarcusSA posted:

I have lots of games downloaded that I’ve never actually opened so the install never finished.

Not even once? How odd.

Anyway, they've said they are doing self reporting after all so it's probably moot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Not even once? How odd.

Anyway, they've said they are doing self reporting after all so it's probably moot.

Don’t steam library shame me.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Just feels like a PR nightmare no matter how much money. Not like unity has any control what storefront the game is on (as far as I know) so don't see why they would get involved and make themselves a part of every legal action where a publisher/dev contests what unity says they owe.

I do the same thing btw. Installed but never run games litter my library

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You install them, and then you decide you have too many games installed and you brutally cull them, and then someone mentions a game and you think hey, I own that, and you reinstall it, but you don't get around to it and then you want to install RDR2 and have to make space and so you uninstall it *again* because it's the 20Gb you need back.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HopperUK posted:

You install them, and then you decide you have too many games installed and you brutally cull them, and then someone mentions a game and you think hey, I own that, and you reinstall it, but you don't get around to it and then you want to install RDR2 and have to make space and so you uninstall it *again* because it's the 20Gb you need back.

I feel attacked RN.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Get out of my head

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

A good poster posted:

Are customers supposed to report in each time they install a game?

SASE making a comeback, I just feel it!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

I feel attacked RN.

Orv posted:

Get out of my head

Norms are defined by group behaviors so this is perfectly normal behavior, it's fine.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

HopperUK posted:

just buy new new ssds every time so you can fill them up with more games you'll never play

Orv
May 4, 2011
A garbage can filled with HDDs, each one filled to capacity with four hundred thousand installs of TIE Fighter

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

HopperUK posted:

please stop doxing me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Actually you forgot the part about watching YouTube videos about the game you downloaded and never played.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The next Valve hardware will be a thermal printer that prints out a check in postcard whenever you install a Unity game that you mail to John Unity so they can keep track of install counts

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yakuza: Like A Dragon is $12 as part of the Sega Wonderland sale :thatsrad:

most of the Yakuzas are deeply discounted

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MarcusSA posted:

Actually you forgot the part about watching YouTube videos about the game you downloaded and never played.

:hmmyes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MarcusSA posted:

this is psychological warfare

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MarcusSA posted:

Sorry, I was distracted watching this video about Mount and Blade.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Hwurmp posted:

Yakuza: Like A Dragon is $12 as part of the Sega Wonderland sale :thatsrad:

most of the Yakuzas are deeply discounted

Did anyone ever come up with a way to transfer saves from gamepass to steam? I put a ton of time into the gamepass version before finding out there was no way to move that to Steam. So even if I wanted to buy it, I'd have to start the game over.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Alkanos posted:

Did anyone ever come up with a way to transfer saves from gamepass to steam? I put a ton of time into the gamepass version before finding out there was no way to move that to Steam. So even if I wanted to buy it, I'd have to start the game over.

PCGamingWiki has the save file locations: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Yakuza:_Like_a_Dragon#Configuration_file.28s.29_location

To move gamepass saves to steam you'll probably just want to copy paste the files from the Microsoft Store folder to the "Windows" folder. the user id might be different between them though?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
When I moved my LaD saves from Gamepass (and Xbox before that) to my Steam install I also had to use a tool to decrypt them. It was fiddly but I got it working using this tool: https://github.com/SutandoTsukai181/yk2_save/releases/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

sebmojo posted:

None of those companies are going to give confidential customer data to an unrelated third party without a court order.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Antigravitas posted:

None of those companies are going to give confidential customer data to an unrelated third party without a court order.

Numbers of downloads isn't confidential data, though it might be commercially sensitive and yeah there's nothing to say the distributors would be willing to provide it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:siren:

For anyone with younger kids: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2078350/Bluey_The_Videogame

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I'll be buying that, 3 and an 8 year old so my house is basically the heeler family already

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Objective Action posted:

I recall somewhat credible inside employee statements that they simply hadn't developed the actual method of tracking anything yet. So when the statements were being super evasive and vague about how the tracking was going to work, that's because they haven't figured it out themselves yet.

I mean, you or I might think "can I actually track this at all" is something you should figure out first but we're not highly paid executives/board members so...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Turns out we were all wrong about the ideas guy, he just needed a suit and a seat on the board of directors.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is Mortal Kombat 1 unlocked for anyone yet? Today's the day but it hasn't unlocked on my end.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

You have to press down + start when the little guy pops up in the corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is Mortal Kombat 1 unlocked for anyone yet? Today's the day but it hasn't unlocked on my end.
I think it unlocks in roughly 50 minutes, at 1pm EST.