Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

And they found the zombie f-35:

https://twitter.com/thadmoore/status/1703900797015138592?t=HM4Y2rt_f8JlV5BEq2dg-w&s=19

beats accidentally almost-nuking north carolina!

they ALSO almost-nuked south carolina, the same part in fact

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Mars_Bluff_B-47_nuclear_weapon_loss_incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It belongs to stuckey's, now

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

orange juche posted:

we call that being permabanned on SA.

Some of our superstars spend $150/mo on Something Awful accounts.

its not really a permaban if they can rebuy or is that just re-reg? jebus

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ded posted:

The guy who tried to sue the forums last year (I think) spends upwards of $50 a *day* on accounts some days to post nonsense and immediately get panel banned.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I've only seen the nutter who post obituaries for random Hollywood movie crew people, am I to believe there's more than one of these?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1703907291165065540?t=x5sFPiCQp29kKdgPDlw9ww&s=19

How many horned up degenerates are sliding into those DMs right now?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ded posted:

Registering new accounts to get around the permaban. Normal bans you can just rebuy your account and you're gold, a permaban means any new accounts you register get banned too once someone catches on.

The buttcoin thread has a weirdo who signs up again every few days/weeks/months, too. People are stupid.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1703866289813381450?t=Dibic0X-iIlrDsXxey--gw&s=19

On the back of a NOC List somewhere reads "3 BIG MACS, FRIES, DIET COKE". :laffo:

E- https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1703872118994178183?t=n3mZluBL2ABI33pRCVh4KA&s=19

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 19, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I've only seen the nutter who post obituaries for random Hollywood movie crew people, am I to believe there's more than one of these?

One of these freaks gets banned so often he’s started naming his new accounts for the day he buys them.

Like he was Aug15, then gets banned and the next day he’s Aug16 or some poo poo like that.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What would be the trumpiest combination?
> on our on the ground surveillance of DPRK nuclear staging facilities Y3-Y70
< Mary I WANT TWO SCOOPS ROCKY ROAD WITH MY PERUVIAN AND DIET COKE

E.

MrMojok posted:

One of these freaks gets banned so often he’s started naming his new accounts for the day he buys them.

Like he was Aug15, then gets banned and the next day he’s Aug16 or some poo poo like that.

The only thing we can all rely on is that they identify as male. Only men are this pathetic and I'll never truly understand why

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 19, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MrMojok posted:

that is amazing and i thank them for funding the servers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/AltHistCody/status/1703805198974460274?t=2a6ELGG9Qj0Zc9r2gOwNqw&s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The only way I can make sense of this is by thinking that neither of these people grew out of their “Head of the College Republicans is totally hooking up with the head of the College Democrats” phase because I just don’t understand how one otherwise goes on a date with Lauren loving Boebert without a gun (hers maybe?) pointed at their head.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The only way I can make sense of this is by thinking that neither of these people grew out of their “Head of the College Republicans is totally hooking up with the head of the College Democrats” phase because I just don’t understand how one otherwise goes on a date with Lauren loving Boebert without a gun (hers maybe?) pointed at their head.

Could have just been a fan of big ole fake ones.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Most hateful hate-gently caress imaginable.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Welp relations between Canada and India are about to get very chilly indeed. Looks like the Indian government had a Canadian Sikh nationalist capped on Canadian soil. Just PNG'd a diplomat for it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stultus Maximus posted:

Most hateful hate-gently caress imaginable.

Hate crime gently caress.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

MA-Horus posted:

Welp relations between Canada and India are about to get very chilly indeed. Looks like the Indian government had a Canadian Sikh nationalist capped on Canadian soil. Just PNG'd a diplomat for it.

Yikes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MA-Horus posted:

And India's always whining that the West doesn't respect them as a modern democracy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MA-Horus posted:

Whoa! Can’t imagine making that accusation of a powerful non-pariah state if they weren’t 110% sure. And even then, big to do so publicly instead of quietly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

JT apparently met with Biden, Sunak, and Macron about it. "Sooooooo we're not invoking article V, but we just want to give you a heads up about the nuclear hornets nest we just kicked..."

poo poo's gonna get weird domestically, too. There's always been some low level racial tensions here in the Vancouver region and this happening in Surrey could make that worse.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Totally the right response from JT as well, I'm pleasantly surprised

Also surprised that RCMP/CSIS managed not to gently caress it up lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Reddit* says that relations between hindus and sikhs in canada was fineish for years and that this is more recent emigres. Not commenting on this one way or another otherwise but there's definitely been an uncomfortable shift since modi I feel

*lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Does Canada have nukes or just nuclear power?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Kazinsal posted:

JT apparently met with Biden, Sunak, and Macron about it. "Sooooooo we're not invoking article V, but we just want to give you a heads up about the nuclear hornets nest we just kicked..."

poo poo's gonna get weird domestically, too. There's always been some low level racial tensions here in the Vancouver region and this happening in Surrey could make that worse.

Wife keeps on about moving to Surrey or somewhere nearby, gonna show her this lol

Edit: I should point out, this was a poorly phrased "Americans don't think or realize that Canada has its own racial or ethnic issues" joke.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just power plants, no nuclear weapons. It's presumed that if Canada is getting nuked, the US is as well, and is retaliating with 2.5x the amount needed to retaliate on behalf of both countries.

Figured I should point out, that's not always true. They used to have tactical nukes, mostly to use against large air formations. Went away in the late 70s, early 80s.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 19, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Until the 80s we had US nukes but couldn’t use them without the US unlocking the PALs. Similar situation how how Ukraine had Soviet nukes they couldn’t authorize the usage of.

The idea of being a “legitimate” nuclear target because we had nukes that we technically could never actually fire unless there was already a nuclear war going on was enough that we just said “no thanks, you can have them back”.

We do, however, build some rockin nuclear reactors. The CANDU power cycle is basically “will eat anything vaguely radioactive and fart out electricity”.

e: The program was never about strategic nuclear weapons but rather the RCAF being able to participate in tactical nuclear delivery in case of Soviet bombers flying over the DEW line or West Germany. Basically nuclear air defence systems, though iirc the CF-104 could theoretically drop a megaton-scale bomb in a pinch.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 19, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

As part of NORAD’s predecessor Canadian interceptors had the AIR-2 genie and Canadian squadrons in West Germany using star fighters would carry US tactical nukes if needed.

Canada also had the nuclear armed BOMARC long range SAMs through the 50s and 60s.

Canada was actually responsible on paper for defending a lot of possible approaches from Soviet bombers over the pole and across Greenland.

This would be more of a TFR Cold War thread topic but a purely Canadian nuclear development program would be a spectacular farce.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
“Sorrry” I say as I loft bomb a old Cold War nuke with USAF markings at New Delhi. I look forward to being interviewed by National Geographic when I get back to BC for doing my part to combat climate change.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Until the 80s we had US nukes but couldn’t use them without the US unlocking the PALs. Similar situation how how Ukraine had Soviet nukes they couldn’t authorize the usage of.

The idea of being a “legitimate” nuclear target because we had nukes that we technically could never actually fire unless there was already a nuclear war going on was enough that we just said “no thanks, you can have them back”.

We do, however, build some rockin nuclear reactors. The CANDU power cycle is basically “will eat anything vaguely radioactive and fart out electricity”.

e: The program was never about strategic nuclear weapons but rather the RCAF being able to participate in tactical nuclear delivery in case of Soviet bombers flying over the DEW line or West Germany. Basically nuclear air defence systems, though iirc the CF-104 could theoretically drop a megaton-scale bomb in a pinch.

i'm familiar with CANDU and its level of ownage, i just don't remember ever reading about a canadian weapons program hence the question

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Assassinating that guy would appear to be totally not worth any retribution, so I can only imagine that India expected not to get caught, or that Canadian leaders would just let it slide.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Assassinating that guy would appear to be totally not worth any retribution, so I can only imagine that India expected not to get caught, or that Canadian leaders would just let it slide.

joke's on them, trudeau wants to make drat sure the wildcard canada/indian war of 2023 kicks off the apocalypse

boy's not gonna miss his chance

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Reasonable assumption, the UK let Russia get away with the attempt on the Skripals and collateral death of two UK citizens, why wouldn't Canada extend the same courtesy?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

joke's on them, trudeau wants to make drat sure the wildcard canada/indian war of 2023 kicks off the apocalypse

boy's not gonna miss his chance

The most bonkers possible timeline is the one in which we had secretly recovered the broken arrow over BC 70 years ago and have been biding our time so we can kick off WW3 with a single little reconditioned Mark 4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ previously undisclosed Avro Arrow prototype

Platystemon posted:

Almost certainly the former. It may still be the case that the only “real” retribution is PNG’ing one spymaster.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think just making it public and conferring with other allies is pretty big. Modi has been pushing Hindu nationalism pretty hard as a political strategy and this is just an extension of that. They could always go for sanctions though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Midjack posted:

Reasonable assumption, the UK let Russia get away with the attempt on the Skripals and collateral death of two UK citizens, why wouldn't Canada extend the same courtesy?

Russia had maybe more to gain but certainly less to lose.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If there was any tit for tat would we have even heard about it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Almost certainly the former. It may still be the case that the only “real” retribution is PNG’ing one spymaster.

I’m not sure that even just losing the one diplomat and having the assassination as an international news story is worth the slim material advantages that removing that one guy was worth. He’s no Lenin; he wasn’t going to get on a train to India and lead a revolution.

I really do think it’s an act that only makes sense if the people ordering it believe that it will carry no cost whatsoever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

There's a trade deal being negotiated that has been placed on mutual hold, so that might be the extent of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Platystemon posted:

Probably watched too much Americans but wondered why India went with sending masked men to shoot the guy near a Sikh temple when that would 100% draw massive heat when they could have stabbed him in a parking lot or his garage & made it plausible it was a robbery, then remembered how France’s intelligence service responded to Greenpeace protesting nuclear tests & realized sometimes countries make mistakes.