Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Old Swerdlow posted:

The Tabletop Simulator version of Candyland my friends and I play surprisingly a lot spawns a miniature version of Candyland and plays through an automated game of it to decide player order.

A game on Candyland in the background that you just pick at is a weirdly fun activity to have while chatting with friends.

That's adorable. Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Infinitum posted:

:hellyeah:

Yeah nah, get that weak rear end poo poo outta here. :v:

Basically if you can look it up in the time allowed, the word is allowed.

Sounds like you don't know what the word means though, cause 'small town' =/= sports term

Actual answer on the term - You can 'rip' the ball from someones hands in something like rugby. So yes it's a real term... :siren: HOWEVER :siren: you didn't clarify what the word was via a dictionary within the time limit, so while it's technically a sporting term it's not a valid word.
(Yeah we've got rules sticklers at our table as well)

We found 'vey' to be an agreed upon word, but only because we googled it randomly during the dying seconds of the game.

Throwing random stuff together? Cool and valid strategy.
You just gotta check within the time limit

Sorry, I realize I may have muddied the waters with Rip City.

Sports != cities.

"Rip City" is a term for Portland, Oregon, where we live, in reference to our biggest professional sports team, the Portland Trail Blazers. It is not used to describe the city in any other context than that one team.

https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/oregon/articles/why-is-portland-called-rip-city

So the question was "rip" a sports term, as it relates to "Rip City", a term for the home of the Portland Trailblazers. Whether a word is a sports term is not a thing you can look up in the dictionary; "rip" is definitely a word, but is it a "sports" word? The rules state (IIRC) that you are not bound by the traditional rules for a word if you are binding a book. So a dictionary is of no help.

Same for cities, for a separate book. (That's on me, sorry.)

Is Boring, Oregon a city? It's population is over ten times Vatican City. Is Vatican City a city? Is Gotham City a city - it's not real. Even if you allow Gotham, do you have to spell Gotham or GothamCity? The word "Gotham" is related to the subject of "cities" but is not, in itself, the name of a city.

Questions like this are not covered by the rules and are not debatable in three minutes; it requires a consensus of feels.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
At my table those things are fine. As I said upthread, if you want to make the games harder, it gives you specific mechanisms to do that and they work pretty well. No need to go crazy nitpicking niche terms.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

!Klams posted:

But the thing is, that's just... less. It's much less game. Without having to 'worry' about an economy, you only spammed the most expensive units. That was it. That was all the game was reduced to. None of the other units really mattered. None of the buildings apart from the war factory (and defences) really mattered. You just had 'less'. Those games had a victory much less tightly coupled to decision making. By any metric a critic would use, it was a 'worse' game.

This is an interesting subject. While I'd like to think of myself "the sort of gamer who appreciates a complex dance of elements and interaction", I'm drawn to linear strategies in lots of games.

Like, I play a ton of Slay the Spire. But I'm not really getting better at it (in terms of "win rate", or playing more at higher Ascension levels) because I don't play it "right". The reason for this is that I don't build varied/balanced decks. I prefer doing one linear thing. I like a clear simple narrative for what my deck is trying to do, and so I avoid taking other stuff that may be "good" but doesn't support that story. I don't want to scout or compromise. I want to play the "Big Game Hunters" version of Slay the Spire.

Even in say, Agricola, I have to really press myself to balance a strategy. Otherwise, I tend towards trying to build a "MEGA CORN SCOOP SUPER ACTION" that handles my food needs for the round in one go and I can bake 30 pumpkin pies at once. Realistically this isn't a good way to score well, but there's a certain satisfaction to having a clear story for "what I did this game".

When games don't tend towards those kind of narratives - eg. something like Trajan - I tend to bounce off it, regardless of how well it actually works.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 15, 2023

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Pvt. Parts posted:

That's adorable. Link?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2105594200

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Got my copy of Oathsworn in today. I just got the base standee version and it’s still a pretty substantial box. Looks like a ton of cards to deal with. I haven’t even started organizing all of it yet.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Finally got my copy of Shikoku 1889 from UPS but the packaging was so inadequate that my copy sustained some damage (packaging box was slightly crushed in and there were only 2 of those air pads in the entire box, with 1 of those pads being completely flat and devoid of air).

Just checked on the KS update and my box wasn't even packed the way they said it was gonna be packed. Kinda disappointed in GTG and this fulfillment company.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

VoodooXT posted:

Finally got my copy of Shikoku 1889 from UPS but the packaging was so inadequate that my copy sustained some damage (packaging box was slightly crushed in and there were only 2 of those air pads in the entire box, with 1 of those pads being completely flat and devoid of air).

Just checked on the KS update and my box wasn't even packed the way they said it was gonna be packed. Kinda disappointed in GTG and this fulfillment company.

Mine also had a roughed up shipping box and a flattened airpack, but fortunately it was undamaged.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I played Oros for the first time last week, a friend's KS copy. It was real bad. The incentives on the shared board are sufficiently distributed among players to the point where it feels like getting anything done involves incidentally helping or harming someone else. And this doesn't unfold over the turn of many turns, single turns have the power to dramatically change the landscape. It felt so utterly pointless that by about half the way through I was dying to just get it over with.

It's a shame because the way the terrain moves around the board is very 2048-esque and coulda been a pretty neat base for a game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

So the question was "rip" a sports term, as it relates to "Rip City", a term for the home of the Portland Trailblazers. Whether a word is a sports term is not a thing you can look up in the dictionary; "rip" is definitely a word, but is it a "sports" word? The rules state (IIRC) that you are not bound by the traditional rules for a word if you are binding a book. So a dictionary is of no help.

I'd argue that in the context where you all knew what it was it's fine to include, as it's a sport term YOU are aware of, but because you couldn't spell the full term it's not valid
IE 'Slam dunk' is a sports, but you only have the letters for 'Slam'? Invalid.

If you know Rip City is referred to as Rip as well, then it's valid.

Rules! :v:

Pvt. Parts posted:

I played Oros for the first time last week, a friend's KS copy. It was real bad.

I remember looking at Oros on KS and really liking the island moving mechanic and how the islands could be built up over time.
Sad to hear it turned out to be a bummer.

Survive might be the Island alternative you're looking for - though you're removing islands in this version :v:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2653/survive-escape-atlantis

Google the NRB video of their playthrough, cause it's legit good, but caveat emptor re:Adam.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Infinitum posted:

Survive might be the Island alternative you're looking for - though you're removing islands in this version :v:

Ah yes, the classic; as a former owner the game still does still have nostalgic value, but I think I had simply outgrown it in a gaming sense. And for gateway purposes, I am more comfortable showing newbies something "modern".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah that sucks. The fulfillment company tried to ship in the smallest possible volume boxes, so tight that you had to open both ends to push the game box out. I'm surprised any got out that way, but also I'm sure they will make it right for you since it was damaged (and should have insurance on shipping).

It's a really nice production though. And the night trains are the only option. I do wish the map were its own smaller board with better cut lines as they have pretty awful placement. The stock board and all the extra stuff for round structure, certificates, and trains could be a separate board.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 17, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
God, it looks positively sick. I have no people to play this kind of game with but I can feel that acquisition disorder making me want to add it to my collection.

What are the little trains for? The KS page calls them Bidding Cubes (or rather, the component they replaced). Do you use them to indicate which player a bid on a Private Company is from?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I've been wanting to play more Bullet Heart lately, so I thought about bringing it along to work so I could play it during my lunch break. Issue is, it's a little bulkier than I'd prefer to carry around on a day to day basis.

So I spent a couple of evenings putting together a pocket-sized version. It fits in one hand and I can carry around all the components in a small bag.

It's set up for solo boss mode, but Score Attack works for it too. Not too awkward compared to the regular physical game, now I'm wondering if there's anything else in my collection I can make a portable version of the same way.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Magnetic North posted:

What are the little trains for? The KS page calls them Bidding Cubes (or rather, the component they replaced). Do you use them to indicate which player a bid on a Private Company is from?

The only bidding you do in '89 is for the private companies in the initial auction. I'm struggling to think of their use, maybe you put it on top of your bid so it's clear who's trying to buy what. Basically useless but hey, tiny trains.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mr. Squishy posted:

The only bidding you do in '89 is for the private companies in the initial auction. I'm struggling to think of their use, maybe you put it on top of your bid so it's clear who's trying to buy what. Basically useless but hey, tiny trains.

I watched a rules video where they're used for exactly that. I don't think they're needed during the rest of the gameplay.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah people usually put them on the corners of the certs to indicate current highest bidder anyway

Unless you manage to get 5 players and aren’t playing 30. I never figured out a 5-6P 30 auction setup and tiny train might be the answer

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Got Oathsworn early from the kickstarter, the box is a close second to Frosthaven in weight and took even longer to organize (3 hours). I can't wait to get started on this in 2024 :v:

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Are there other games that have a final scoring twist like High Society? Specifically, that the player with the least money at the end is disqualified from winning regardless of their VPs. There’s such interesting tension in trying to spend to get the most points while not spending TOO much lest you just lose the whole game.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

PopZeus posted:

Are there other games that have a final scoring twist like High Society? Specifically, that the player with the least money at the end is disqualified from winning regardless of their VPs. There’s such interesting tension in trying to spend to get the most points while not spending TOO much lest you just lose the whole game.

In QE, you lose immediately if you have spent the most money.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Churchill has a thing where if the point differential between first and last place is too great, the 2nd and 3rd-place players combine their scores to try and beat whoever's first.

Also if all five of the tiebreakers fail, the game just says gently caress you, Churchill wins, even if he wasn't one of the tied players.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects the player(s) with the most corruption get eaten by crocodiles.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

In Prodigals Club, if you don't pay any attention during the rules explanation, you will be surprised when you find out that your final score is not the three categories totaled up, but actually the score of the category you did the worst in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

El Fideo posted:

In Prodigals Club, if you don't pay any attention during the rules explanation, you will be surprised when you find out that your final score is not the three categories totaled up, but actually the score of the category you did the worst in.

That's the Tigris & Euphrates system

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PopZeus posted:

Besides QE, I don't know of any that are directly similar. There are some games where you want to limit how successful you are, and the example I always think of is Why First? despite having never played it. You're trying to come in second in each of 5 races, and then you want to come in second in the overall leaderboard. It sounds like such a mindfuck. The Fox in the Forest has something vaguely similar where if you win too many tricks, you're 'greedy' and your opponent gets the points instead.

I just heard on a recent episode of the BGG podcast about a game called Savage Bowl. If I recall correctly, for the first half of the tricks, you're trying to play the second highest card and not the highest or otherwise you get ejected for a round. You want to win exactly 2 tricks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PopZeus posted:

Played a game of High Society the other day where everyone ended with 2 cards but out of five players, four had the same value of money remaining and were all disqualified. The final person, who had a negative total at this point due to getting penalty cards, won by having 1k more than the others. A++ love that game

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah people usually put them on the corners of the certs to indicate current highest bidder anyway

Unless you manage to get 5 players and aren’t playing 30. I never figured out a 5-6P 30 auction setup and tiny train might be the answer

I stole an idea from a guy I played with who in turn stole it from some YouTuber but on my (second) last Cube4Me order I got a bunch of little cubes of six different colours and I just hand them out to everyone in the auction so whenever they bid they just put a cube of their colour down or two or three or (Francis forbid) four to indicate where they stand on the private. It works out nicely but kind of annoying sorting through them during set up but that's what you offload onto anyone else to do.

I do need to figure out a better poker chip set up with the proper denominations already configured. I have been feeling the call for a while and want to upgrade my (surprisingly decent for a $20 Kijiji deal) set to something a little fancier with the denominations actually on them, something I took friendly guff for from another player. I think I asked this before but for the poker chip enthusiasts here, especially Canadian ones, what type of chips do you use or recommend? I have been eyeing up this site here: https://www.straightpokersupplies.com/ but like a crazy man, want to go in person and feel the chips first.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I am so bad at auction games that I have twice lost High Soc with both the least money and points.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

I stole an idea from a guy I played with who in turn stole it from some YouTuber but on my (second) last Cube4Me order I got a bunch of little cubes of six different colours and I just hand them out to everyone in the auction so whenever they bid they just put a cube of their colour down or two or three or (Francis forbid) four to indicate where they stand on the private. It works out nicely but kind of annoying sorting through them during set up but that's what you offload onto anyone else to do.

I do need to figure out a better poker chip set up with the proper denominations already configured. I have been feeling the call for a while and want to upgrade my (surprisingly decent for a $20 Kijiji deal) set to something a little fancier with the denominations actually on them, something I took friendly guff for from another player. I think I asked this before but for the poker chip enthusiasts here, especially Canadian ones, what type of chips do you use or recommend? I have been eyeing up this site here: https://www.straightpokersupplies.com/ but like a crazy man, want to go in person and feel the chips first.

Nice idea, like JoCo family cubes.

Yeah, I got a bunch of sample sets to test out before I bought mine. I ended up with apache dunes as the goofy art grew on me and I really like the bright colors and feel of the edge, especially the disney D. Some chips were too slippery, others too much friction. The popular majestic ones were too slippery for me while the apache "train bank" chips you could barely move at all. Gotta have the right friction for shuffling chips.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I got the money cards for Shikkoku instead of paper money. Are chips that much better?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yes, lots. Chips are easier to read from across the table (money is open info) and easier to manipulate. You do an awful lot of moving money around, and if players can't count then you'll always be asking how much you've got or just be playing blind. I've not played an 18XX with paper, but I have played a few games of cube-rails which have similar dynamics and it really does make it so much worse.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yes, lots. Chips are easier to read from across the table (money is open info) and easier to manipulate. You do an awful lot of moving money around, and if players can't count then you'll always be asking how much you've got or just be playing blind. I've not played an 18XX with paper, but I have played a few games of cube-rails which have similar dynamics and it really does make it so much worse.

I did it once at the cottage because I didn't have chips with me and it was miserable. So... slow... But throwing fat stax of cash around was amusing at times. Cannot go back once you've seen the power and the glory of poker chips instead of paper money. That said, if all I had were garbage thin plastic chips I might just stick with the paper.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CitizenKeen posted:

I got the money cards for Shikkoku instead of paper money. Are chips that much better?

I also got the money cards but will be using them for other games that don't require large amounts of vastly different sums of money moving around frequently. Like euros and certain economic games.

I like cube rails like chex with paper/card money and likely will use it most often with them. The amounts are small and it's only in the dozens of dollars, not dozens and hundreds

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The only good paper money game is Millennium Blades

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tekopo posted:

The only good paper money game is Millennium Blades
Technically, they're made of two layers of cardboard bonded with a thin layer of opaque adhesive, not paper.
:goonsay:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

girl dick energy posted:

Technically, they're made of two layers of cardboard bonded with a thin layer of opaque adhesive, not paper.
:goonsay:

the stacks of money with a band around them are definitely not cardboard

the trick to paper money if you have to use it is to crumple the bills up. Then they don't stick in stacks and are much easier to sort as needed during play.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 19, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

PopZeus posted:

Livingstone is a relatively forgettable game where whenever you gain money, you can secretly drop some into your donation box, and whoever has the least in their donation box at the end can't win.

Lords of Xidit has 3 scoring categories that are evaluated in sequence, with the last place player in each of the first two categories being eliminated immediately. The winner is whichever of the non-eliminated players has the high score in the third category.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Livingstone is a relatively forgettable game where whenever you gain money, you can secretly drop some into your donation box, and whoever has the least in their donation box at the end can't win.

That rules.

Merchants of the Dark Road has a similar sort of mechanic.
Your coin purse is private, but your prestige is public.
The lowest of either becomes your base score.
You add victory points on top of that for your final score.

Interesting little loop where you're kinda forcing your opponents along the public prestige track to keep up, all the while pocketing coin privately.
So it comes down to how well you can manage both aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think Hab and Gut has a similar thing to Livingstone and people seem to like that game.