Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

you don’t become the richest person in the world without at least doing something right.

Lmao

America.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Unlucky7 posted:

So has Elon actually invented anything? I am willing give him the benefit of the doubt about him being a decent engineer.

literally the only thing he created was zip2 which was "yellow pages on the internet"

He tried to create "bank on internet" but his version sucked poo poo so he merged with PayPal and got fired

After that he just failed up from being a CEO

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Randalor posted:

Wait, what's bad about bluesky? I mean other than it being another social media platform. Oh God, is it full of Nazis already?

It's kinda a ghost town unless you want people horny posting or speed running twitters greatest hits

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Reading all those Isaacson quotes from 10 pages back about "Demon Mode" and whatever other mode reminded me of my friend's three-year-old who was cycling through YouTube videos about trains so fast that he wasn't actually watching them. Like a gambler pulling the lever on a slot machine for the little rush that comes with it. So we took away the kiddo's screentime (like locking his phone in a safe) and HE LOST HIS poo poo. Full-on screaming tantrum for 20 minutes, little kid arms flailing, the works, until he exhausted himself and he was given a bath and put to bed.

Somehow this exact same behavior can be spun into greatness in Isaacson's retelling. Thank goodness Da Vinci is 500 years dead so maybe the Isaacson book about him is still tolerable because I have it on my Kindle but now...I dunno man.

Also, unlike friend's kid, Musk hates trains. What the hell was that bit in Isaacson's interview about advancing train tech? Musk straight-up admitted that Hyperloop was a ploy to torpedo California high-speed rail. Guess that's not in the book?

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

holtemon posted:

Just found out that my 79 year old neighbor is very anti-Elon and that made me chuckle today lol

I have an 80 year old South African neighbour who loves electric cars and he loving hates Elon too.

A few years ago when I moved in I cracked a joke about his "countryman" he scowled and said, "do you know anything about the area Elon is from? It is full of incredible racists and I will bet money that if he hasn't shown it yet, it will come out soon enough."

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 19, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Congrats on living next to Elon's dad

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Unlucky7 posted:

So has Elon actually invented anything? I am willing give him the benefit of the doubt about him being a decent engineer.

Apparently Elon has 1 patent with his name on it. It's a proprietary socket for his fast charging plug.

So like.. a plastic shape. None of the technology. Just a way to stop it from being accessible.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Sure, he %100 had a huge early boost, but his dad didn’t direct his investments or all the other stuff I listed. So many people gently caress up being born into money.

The guy got to his current place somehow.

He’s literally Trump 2.0. They’re both savants when it comes to marketing themselves. Biggest difference is musk made some really timely/lucky/good investments that he then hyped to the masses and trump mostly failed at business but talked his way right into the White House by translating his tv persona into a highly successful republican primary run.

Fortunately they’re both idiots so they trip over themselves once the spotlight is 100% on them.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Congrats on living next to Elon's dad

"The Most Dangerous Game"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Sure, he %100 had a huge early boost, but his dad didn’t direct his investments or all the other stuff I listed. So many people gently caress up being born into money.

The guy got to his current place somehow.

there are 10s of thousands of deranged failsons with dad's money every generation, maybe more, a few of them are going to get lucky and succeed by chance. it doesn't mean the ones that do are brilliant.

look up the term survivorship bias

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MunchE posted:

literally the only thing he created was zip2 which was "yellow pages on the internet"

He tried to create "bank on internet" but his version sucked poo poo so he merged with PayPal and got fired

After that he just failed up from being a CEO

*I* made a "yellow pages on the Internet" site for my hometown ISP in 1996. (I also made a website for a local romance novel publisher who wanted to get into "selling books on the internet like that Amazon company".)

What I'm saying is not that I should be a billionaire, I'm saying that if I could come up with that poo poo so could literally anyone who was in the right place at the right time. Probably ten thousand other people did the same drat thing and just weren't lucky

All you need is emerald mine money

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The one thing I envy Elon for is that he was able to just say bullshit like "your car will be completely self-driving and also have a money printer in it, feature complete by next Tuesday", and have everyone just uncritically eat it up for years without calling him on it. It'd be easy to make a fortune if people just blindly accepted whatever word vomit falls out of your mouth for whatever reason.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Capitalism is massively multiplayer plinko. Markets never guaranteed they would give the best economic solution, just a economic solution as long as more and more plinko chips are crammed in. Do not think too hard about the guys hitting the center every time as they are a unique combination of how many chips they start with and how often they got lucky.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

War Wizard posted:

Apparently Elon has 1 patent with his name on it. It's a proprietary socket for his fast charging plug.

So like.. a plastic shape. None of the technology. Just a way to stop it from being accessible.

Isn't that socket also kinda worthless because of EV socket standardization?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

zedprime posted:

Capitalism is massively multiplayer plinko. Markets never guaranteed they would give the best economic solution, just a economic solution as long as more and more plinko chips are crammed in. Do not think too hard about the guys hitting the center every time as they are a unique combination of how many chips they start with and how often they got lucky.

kazil posted:

World's best poker player

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

maybealabia posted:

Furries, mostly

People overstate Dorsey's involvement

Bottom Liner posted:

It's kinda a ghost town unless you want people horny posting or speed running twitters greatest hits

Sucks about Dorsey, but I'm fine with horney Furry ghost towns for the time being. Beats whatever tinpot nazi wannabes Elmo is amplifying.

I found a feed for crafting, so I'm content for now.

Ultra
Dec 30, 2004

Oh no.

poisonpill posted:

I’m extremely concerned about the declining blue rates. We need to increase the number of new users. Declining user rates was one of the main causes of the fall of Twitter

E: bsky-social-GONE

Snagged this, thank you

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Bad Purchase posted:

there are 10s of thousands of deranged failsons with dad's money every generation, maybe more, a few of them are going to get lucky and succeed by chance. it doesn't mean the ones that do are brilliant.

look up the term survivorship bias

Whoa, this isn't a defense of him! I follow this thread, we all know what he really is.

I think the takeaway is that an average person with a heavy headstart can end up very rich.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

an average person with a heavy headstart

that's not average

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Martingale system only works so long as you have enough money and eventually get lucky at least once. And I guess it's basically capitalism in a nutshell considering how many people have gone from a small failed start-up to a different, massive failed start-up thanks to enough investors deciding this person who has never succeeded in anything deserves large piles of cash because surely they'll strike gold eventually

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
This is worse than Martingale. I assure you Musk left with less money than when he started, even if he won one time. And every player at the table hated him intensely.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

thathonkey posted:

that's not average
Average in talent and stuff, not in the wealth, which is the massive headstart. People think Elon is a genius because of his businesses and money but really he just won rich guy plinko.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

An I going to get banned from X if I name myself Google Vercingetorix

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i get it. the poker anecdote about him perfectly encapsulates that point

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

nobody in the entire twitter building would comprehend the joke, or even realize it was a reference

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

My roman empire pilled brain is really enjoying this post.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

the poker story and the gen x trump makes sense. Gah what an insufferable human

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My roman empire pilled brain is really enjoying this post.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, Vercingetorix yoinked J. Caesar around for a while, but then was paraded in the Forum in shackles and choked to death. What's the zinger here?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The video's probably too long unless you're into poker, but here's an example of one and only time going in every hand was the right move:

https://youtu.be/eRMcycv7mC8?feature=shared

The short answer is that it was basically a special type of tournament series where you earned a number of points based on how you finished in other games. The way the scores from previous games are distributed means one person needs to go hard to qualify for actual prize and the other players kind of have to hope that other players lose before they do, so they're all put into a super unusual position

Skip to around 3 minutes in

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 19, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

XXXIV

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I feel like everyone is kinda ignoring the bit where he used to go around throwing out his ex-wife's ADD meds

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Things that are straight up sad aren't fun to talk about

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Pretty sure a few people mentioned it before because it's straight psycho poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sentient Data posted:

The video's probably too long unless you're into poker, but here's an example of one and only time going in every hand was the right move:

https://youtu.be/eRMcycv7mC8?feature=shared

The short answer is that it was basically a special type of tournament series where you earned a number of points based on how you finished in other games. The way the scores from previous games are distributed means one person needs to go hard to qualify for actual prize and the other players kind of have to hope that other players lose before they do, so they're all put into a super unusual position

Skip to around 3 minutes in
Jon Bois's version is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDt90EyZnWA&t=1296s

Timestamp at 21:36 if the link doesn't work.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Ah, there it is, I knew I saw a much better presentation of it before
:cheersbird:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kazil posted:

this poo poo from the 11th is still up

Every time I see that image I think of this:

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

kazil posted:

World's best poker player

World's smartest rocket engineer

Bruh, did he seriously try to fix an engine with loving glue?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

JustCallMeDC posted:

Yeah the guys an idiot. He is Mcgyvers little brother whos inventions fall apart when he picks them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

JustCallMeDC posted:

Not loving glue, just regular glue