Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my lifts are light and appear to be going down over time, at least my overhead press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

my lifts are light and appear to be going down over time, at least my overhead press

eat more. sleep more

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
thanks to mitch mcconnel freezing on camera (and everyone tweeting he had had a "tia") i learned that the weird tingling thing my lip did a few months ago--that was so distracting i couldn't remember what the interviewer just said--was actually a miniature stroke

so I guess now I do heart healthy exercises! I've started taking my bike out more often and spent a half hour on the treadmill today. i guess I should buy some backup earbuds because aerobic exercise is an horrible chore without them

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

press more! no, MORE!!!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Achmed Jones posted:

How's your press:bodyweight ratio holding up?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

always fun to compare yourself to like, strength level.com standards. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone press 60kg @ 80kg bw in a while.

That’s what they list as “intermediate”.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

thanks to mitch mcconnel freezing on camera (and everyone tweeting he had had a "tia") i learned that the weird tingling thing my lip did a few months ago--that was so distracting i couldn't remember what the interviewer just said--was actually a miniature stroke

so I guess now I do heart healthy exercises! I've started taking my bike out more often and spent a half hour on the treadmill today. i guess I should buy some backup earbuds because aerobic exercise is an horrible chore without them

oof, well stay safe corla plankun.

i don't really care for cardio stuff myself, but riding a bike around outside is fun.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

eat more. sleep more

this is bullshit

lol

I remember reading something about you need to sleep more to gain more

extremely unfair

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echinopsis posted:

this is bullshit

lol

I remember reading something about you need to sleep more to gain more

extremely unfair

gains are fake and made up

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
gains are a lie pushed by Big Iron to get you to spend more on gym memberships and supps

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

How's your press:bodyweight ratio holding up?

well i've been doing the same press for a couple weeks at this point cause i have trouble on the last reps of the last set with my left arm; i think my body weight has been pretty much static at 185. i've still been eating a deficit usually, but have been focusing more on getting enough protein, even if it means going over budget. id hoped that the newbie gains thing would counteract not actually eating a calorie surplus, but maybe not

i also wouldn't be surprised if my weight is below what i listed above, too. i stopped weighing when i plateaued 2 or 3 weeks ago, but in my experience once a plateau breaks i tend to lose pretty quickly so that could've happened

my barbell should arrive tomorrow or wednesday so hopefully converting from dumbbells will help a bit. of course that help might actually be worse in the long run

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DB has a fringe benefit in that you can't have one arm take the lion's share of the gains. Barbell, particularly early on, can mask some issues. Personally, if possible/not-annoying I'd do DB press every now and then, but favor the barbell as it's the far cooler option.

Make sure when you switch to BB press that you:

* get your hands in the right spot - neutral is good, do not crank your wrist back.
* squeeze your glutes and exhale slowly, as you press up.
* start light, just make sure your form is dead on. BB press loves to chew up shoulders and wrists if you don't do it right.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
pressing rules. bench press? love it. overhead press? love it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

well i've been doing the same press for a couple weeks at this point cause i have trouble on the last reps of the last set with my left arm; i think my body weight has been pretty much static at 185. i've still been eating a deficit usually, but have been focusing more on getting enough protein, even if it means going over budget. id hoped that the newbie gains thing would counteract not actually eating a calorie surplus, but maybe not

i also wouldn't be surprised if my weight is below what i listed above, too. i stopped weighing when i plateaued 2 or 3 weeks ago, but in my experience once a plateau breaks i tend to lose pretty quickly so that could've happened

my barbell should arrive tomorrow or wednesday so hopefully converting from dumbbells will help a bit. of course that help might actually be worse in the long run

try doing lower weight at higher reps to break the plateau

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DELETE CASCADE posted:

french press, your opinion?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

FMguru posted:

french press, your opinion?

love it

traditional hash is also pressed :420:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

they're the most satisfying imo

one thing with my shoulder press though, I get a tiny tinge at the back of my neck at the lower end of the motion. idk if it's technique or just my body but it concerns me

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

check out a half-kneeling press. maybe as a warmup or something. they really expose any mobility/form deficiencies and you can still go fairly heavy on them (assuming you're not falling over or whatever)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the limiting factor in my deadlifts is my grip, i can't hold a bar that has enough weight to really gently caress up my back. that's why i refuse to use straps. i'm not sure if my form is perfect enough to avoid injury when my back is truly working its hardest, and i'm afraid to find out

whatever your warm up or like scaling up weight is, add more reps and hold for longer

this worked for me pretty well

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the limiting factor in my deadlifts is my grip, i can't hold a bar that has enough weight to really gently caress up my back. that's why i refuse to use straps. i'm not sure if my form is perfect enough to avoid injury when my back is truly working its hardest, and i'm afraid to find out

this is dumb as hell. use straps and then separately build your grip. world strongest man competitors would agree. separate training your grip and your back/hips/legs. practice and use the hook grip also, but don't limit you getting better at the deadlift because of some dumb idea of purity. this is 100% self-sabotage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also hex bar if you’ve got access

I’ve never felt 100% safe doing deadlifts coz feels like you need rk bend that back just a little bit, whereas the hex bar allows you to use all safe form

as far as I can tell

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echinopsis posted:

also hex bar if you’ve got access

I’ve never felt 100% safe doing deadlifts coz feels like you need rk bend that back just a little bit, whereas the hex bar allows you to use all safe form

as far as I can tell

yeah hex bar owns bones. you never have to actually straight bar deadlift. dont let the internet fitness mafia lie to you

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

skimothy milkerson posted:

this is dumb as hell. use straps and then separately build your grip. world strongest man competitors would agree. separate training your grip and your back/hips/legs. practice and use the hook grip also, but don't limit you getting better at the deadlift because of some dumb idea of purity. this is 100% self-sabotage

honest question: how old are you

peoples fitness goals may differ and be suboptimal, esp if they dont want to hurt themselves as they progress in age

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

wait, im going to go ahead and call myself out here

if you're worried about your form and back at uninhibited levels, then count your lack of grip strength as an asset. but also forever, straps are a fantastic tool to make yourself stronger and should never be overlooked

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Share Bear posted:

honest question: how old are you

peoples fitness goals may differ and be suboptimal, esp if they dont want to hurt themselves

34. I read the first half of their message and posted and didnt internalize the second half. thats my bad. I just get all hot and bothered about people eschewing tools to help themselves grow for arbitrary reasons

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

34. I read the first half of their message and posted and didnt internalize the second half. thats my bad. I just get all hot and bothered about people eschewing tools to help themselves grow for arbitrary reasons

yeah i get wanting to be helpful and addressing it with useful tools but i also wanted to point out what i pointed out

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

triple post:

to echi's point, you never have to deadlift. just simply dont if you're even 10% doubtful it's safe

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Share Bear posted:

yeah i get wanting to be helpful and addressing it with useful tools but i also wanted to point out what i pointed out

I was being dumb. thats my bad

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

If a person doesn't want to do a deadlift, I'd check out some loaded carries, I'd check out some back raises (heavy, high rep, everything in between). Id check out any type of single or double leg squat they can or want to do. Id check out some machines. Your deadlift can and will go up without doing deadlifts. you never have to deadlift

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

rack pulls babeee

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

well why not posted:

rack pulls babeee

I wish. I'm always and forever a person who's weak off the floor :negative:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i appreciate the post and also the followup. i think i'm extra nervous because my dad hurt his back shoveling snow in the blizzard of 96 and he was never the same afterward

following the stronglifts 5x5 program i only deadlift 1x5 at working weight, and only every other workout. i can do the warmup sets with confidence, so i think i just need more experience. i've only been deadlifting for like 8 months

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i appreciate the post and also the followup. i think i'm extra nervous because my dad hurt his back shoveling snow in the blizzard of 96 and he was never the same afterward

following the stronglifts 5x5 program i only deadlift 1x5 at working weight, and only every other workout. i can do the warmup sets with confidence, so i think i just need more experience. i've only been deadlifting for like 8 months

yeah once again thats my bad. I made A Stupid Post and Im sorry

If you did barbell/dumbbell/machine rows and higher rep sets of back raises, that plus squatting will absolutely increase your ability to deadlift. you never ever have to put yourself in an sketchy situations because some program has deadlits listed

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

deadlifts are great and all but 90%+ of lifters don't do them are are fine

it's meant to be fun, don't do poo poo you don't wanna

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

one of the biggest things that i feel like i'm still working on learning is how to distinguish between the "i can't do this" feeling that actually means "i'm being a pussy and need to push through, it's supposed to be challenging"... vs the similar feeling where it means "if i do this next rep i am going to regret it"

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

one of the biggest things that i feel like i'm still working on learning is how to distinguish between the "i can't do this" feeling that actually means "i'm being a pussy and need to push through, it's supposed to be challenging"... vs the similar feeling where it means "if i do this next rep i am going to regret it"

one of the constants in the getting stronger and bigger world is to hang back a bit and slowly progress. in general you should be working well within your ability and getting better at that level. I think Dan John said something like this: increase your "80%" effort, not your 100% effort. take something that is kind of hard, and make that easy, then repeat

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

yeah i'm totally down with that, i'm not in a hurry to train for some event or anything, just trying to gradually improve :)

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah i'm totally down with that, i'm not in a hurry to train for some event or anything, just trying to gradually improve :)

hell yeah. dont let some stupid spreadsheet or program inform you on how to work out. take a couple pounds off the bar and have fun and I promise you it will pay dividends in the future

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got the double black diamond power bar from rep today. the knurling on it is insane. i'm gonna have to be careful to keep my skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

got the double black diamond power bar from rep today. the knurling on it is insane. i'm gonna have to be careful to keep my skin

no. wrong. embrace the violence (you already know this because you're a total sicko)