Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arvid posted:

I haven´t had a chance to try the Doom 32X resurrection project myeslf yet but this version of the soundtrack is definitely one of my absolute favourites.
Intermission, deep into the code and facing the spider could arguably be said to be better than the Roland SC-55 versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FehpU0sjXrQ

I was skeptical but you are absolutely right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
WTF. Civvie did a vid on TO and nobody said a -thing-. For shame

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

WTF. Civvie did a vid on TO and nobody said a -thing-. For shame

I thought he did a video on UT'99 Tactical Ops and this is NOT the case and BOY am I ANGRY

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huh I was gonna say yes it did but I guess it only got posted on discord

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've spent literally two hours last night being stuck on the Ripper boss fight in Turbo Overkill. Several times I alt-F4'd out in a huff, only to restart a few minutes later. At the end of the night I finally gave in and decided to just savescum the boss fight and get it over with... only to find that quicksave is disabled :argh:.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I thought he did a video on UT'99 Tactical Ops and this is NOT the case and BOY am I ANGRY

This is only very vaguely related but it got my brain synapses to fire up and share this neat podcast interview with Clint Hocking (most notably of Far Cry 2 fame) on "My Perfect Console with Simon Parkin"
(he names UT99 as one of the five games and mentions working on maps for the Strike Force mod for it)

e: https://twitter.com/dmlxstephx/status/1703725928281784365

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 18, 2023

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I took a very long hiatus from DUSK after Episode 1. The enemies were cool, reminded me a little of Blood, but overall I wasn't vibing with it. "Only so much Quake Brown a guy can take," I thought. "I've pretty much seen what there is to see."

A couple weeks ago, I started on episode 2.

A few minutes ago, I finished E3M10.

God, what a ride. How nice it is to think a game is eh and be wrong.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Angryhead posted:

This is only very vaguely related but it got my brain synapses to fire up and share this neat podcast interview with Clint Hocking (most notably of Far Cry 2 fame) on "My Perfect Console with Simon Parkin"
(he names UT99 as one of the five games and mentions working on maps for the Strike Force mod for it)

e: https://twitter.com/dmlxstephx/status/1703725928281784365

problem with rats maps is theyre just sniper heavens. I've probably got 750 hours on a single rats HL server alone and 9 times outta 10 the cowards just camp with the crossbow in some shadowed corner with a huge vantage.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
How the gently caress do you build a map like that and forget the door
0/10

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I've missed Halo. I am loving the MCC. Going through them in release order, so neat switching between the original and updated textures.

I don't remember loving Halo this much.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

david_a posted:

How the gently caress do you build a map like that and forget the door
0/10

Don't you remember all of those various spooky work spaces the trams passed by at Black Mesa? Hardly any of them had doors! How was Einstein supposed to get in and out of that break room suspended thirty feet above a pool of radioactive lava??

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, I've missed Halo. I am loving the MCC. Going through them in release order, so neat switching between the original and updated textures.

I don't remember loving Halo this much.

halo was always good, pc gamers showing their asses loudly and for years just kinda sept into being common knowledge but the gameplay fundamentals were always solid. I've been playing Infinite which has so, so many problems but the basic combat triangle is great when the netcode isn't loving you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Trepang2 got its first patch, not listed in the notes here are that it also includes five new combat sim maps

quote:

This patch includes a smorgasbord of fixes, including but not limited to:

CONTROLLER
Significantly improved controller support, aim assist, melee lockon
New controller settings for deadzone, aim acceleration curve
Analogue controller directional movement (was locked to WASD axis before)
Fixed controller not being able to interact with mission menu after completing campaign

OPTIONS:
Toggle sprint option for keyboard and controller
Fixed UI text being too small on steam deck

COMBAT SIMULATOR:
Fixed missing music, weapon benches in combat simulator maps
Fixed missing floor collisions in "The Shard" combat simulator map
Fixed wall with missing collisions in Reactor combat simulator map
Fixed soft lock on killing waves with only 1 enemy too quickly

WEAPONS:
Shotgun infinite reload bug squashed and thrown out
Fixed grenade launcher homing projectile particle spam on hitting the floor
Fixed dual wield weapon customizations not appearing after loading a game or returning to safehouse

CAMPAIGN/SIDE MISSIONS:
Fixed crash on spawnkilling enemies with proximity mines or incendiary shotgun (most noticeable in oil rig)
Fixed wall missing collision in Jorvik Castle library
Fixed firebombs not being picked up in Jorvik Castle
Fixed Pandora Institute floating TV screen
Fixed Pandora Institute missing wall collision after entering the tower
Fixed Site32/Unidentified Structure enemies getting stuck in outside of map

TMOD:
Fixed tmod "FlashlightOn" and "SpawnWithRifleShield" buttons getting stuck
Fixed tmod spawned HVTs counting towards HVT kills
Fixed tmod buddha mode remaining on after tmod disabled

MISC:
Numerous localization fixes (thank you Lionbridge Games) ♥
Fixed slide being queued if pressed while stamina is empty
Bunch of soft locks are soft locked outta the game shoo
All achievements now trigger properly (Average Weapon Enjoyer, 50 Shades of Burnt, & more)
Various music fixes
"Lowest Difficulty This Level" now being saved correctly, affected by cheats
Fixed UI slider values turning to 0 (this only occurred with European languages)
Fixed Hazardous camo's misaligned textures
Fixed supply box not being affected by "Music" volume setting
Safehouse Infiltrator HVT now has a small chance of spawning even after he's been killed once
Tons of little bugs are now fumigated and sent off to Pandora Institute.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

site posted:

Trepang2 got its first patch, not listed in the notes here are that it also includes five new combat sim maps

Controller support, awesome! Lately I've been streaming games from my PC to my steam deck hooked up to my TV via moonlight. It's a great experience, but sort of limits what games you can play to ones that have good controller support.

Looks like it's on sale too, hopefully they keep it on sale until I get paid on Thursday.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

halo was always good, pc gamers showing their asses loudly and for years just kinda sept into being common knowledge but the gameplay fundamentals were always solid. I've been playing Infinite which has so, so many problems but the basic combat triangle is great when the netcode isn't loving you.

Halo gets the blame for a lot of bad trends in the shooters that followed it, but it's not Bungie's fault that everyone else decided to imitate them. I've heard people scoff at its multiplayer and say it pales in comparison to a LAN party, but that's because they forget how much of a pain in the rear end it was a lug a full sized tower and CRT monitor over to someone's house and then brave the fuckery that was late 90's - early 2ks Windows networking. It's so much easier to play with friends when you could just plug in some extra controllers.

The game deserves credit for popularizing offhand melee strikes, and making them actually powerful (Duke's quick kick is the only earlier one that comes to mind). Same for offhand grenade throwing, instead of making them just another weapon.

Halo was designed from the ground up with a controller in mind, and it came at a time when consoles began unseating PCs as a the primary platform, so I think a lot of old school pc gamers are still a bit salty about it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Didn't have an OG Xbox when Halo and Halo 2 were all the rage, but judging by the amount of people I see waxing poetic about their halo LAN parties I don't think Halo kids missed out on those.

I did play a fair amount of Halo 3 when it came out, but dropped it pretty quickly when cod4 came out since that was much more my speed.

Halo 2 introducing the party system and matchmaking, and Halo 3 adding forge mode was huge for console gaming though. The party system especially was incredible back in the day - being able to queue up for games with your friends, bouncing around lobbies while talking to each other was a very unique experience back then.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
As far as I'm concerned Halo is the only worthwhile console-centric FPS series, not counting Metroid Prime because that's first-person metroidvania more than shooter.

And frankly even then it still plays better with KB+M, with the PC port of Halo CE being the game that made me realize that I wasn't actually terrible at FPS games, since hoo boy did the experience of trying out a good few of them back then with analog sticks make me think otherwise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the Halo 1 MP scene was almost entirely LAN parties. You could get it working over the internet with tunnelers, but not very well, because it was expecting to run over a local connection. And you had to lug all the same CRTs around even if Xboxes were smaller than tower cases

Halo 2's persistent parties were intentionally designed to feel like hanging out on a virtual couch with your friends

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember when I first played Halo and how hard I felt it was to see anything close to you. I couldn't articulate what the problem was, only that I never had that problem with Goldeneye or Perfect Dark.

I later came to realize it was the disgustingly low FOV, and how I very much prefer something between 85-90, not 70. GE and PD did some fuckery with the sides of your view, where it would drastically stretch things as you turned. Stuff closer to the middle of your view would move slower across the screen than when it got to either side, and then it was stretched and seemed to zip in or out of frame. If you don't notice it, next time you're playing either game in 4:3, turn your head 90° to either side, and make your character spin around. You'll see the stretching immediately.

The first Borderlands game has a horribly low FOV as well, much like Halo 1 and 2.

I'm always thankful when any first person game lets me change that. And now that I can in MCC, it's perfect.

Someday, I'll play Quake with 360° FOV. God, I'd feel like some sort of spider with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQIKN4qWkQ

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 19, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

One of the biggest reasons I bounced off Bungie's games is that the FOV feels like you're peering through a cardboard tube by default.

I typically play at 100-110 degrees if I can.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember when I first played Halo and how hard I felt it was to see anything close to you. I couldn't articulate what the problem was, only that I never had that problem with Goldeneye or Perfect Dark.

I later came to realize it was the disgustingly low FOV, and how I very much prefer something between 85-90, not 70. GE and PD did some fuckery with the sides of your view, where it would drastically stretch things as you turned. Stuff closer to the middle of your view would move slower across the screen than when it got to either side, and then it was stretched and seemed to zip in or out of frame. If you don't notice it, next time you're playing either game in 4:3, turn your head 90° to either side, and make your character spin around. You'll see the stretching immediately.

The first Borderlands game has a horribly low FOV as well, much like Halo 1 and 2.

I'm always thankful when any first person game lets me change that. And now that I can in MCC, it's perfect.

Someday, I'll play Quake with 360° FOV. God, I'd feel like some sort of spider with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQIKN4qWkQ

God that'd make me sick as hell

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apparently there's a game called Doom: Year Zero coming out in the next few years.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Captain Walker posted:

God, what a ride. How nice it is to think a game is eh and be wrong.

Must admit it took me a couple of levels to really click with Cultic, but once it did I thought it was superb. Personally, I think Dusk and Cultic are comfortably the high water mark for this era of boomer shooters.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently there's a game called Doom: Year Zero coming out in the next few years.

Interesting. I guess modern id/Bethesda may as well capitalise on the current scene and make a "new" Doom in the 1/2 style?

I know we have no shortage of ways to play the first 2 Doom games, and no shortage of ways to listen to Romero and Carmack talk about them, but I still love the idea of an Atari 50 documentary/museum style release. A real love letter of content pouring over those first 2 games and their design, maybe with a more expanded approach to collating the best wads and wad designers in there too. I don't think this sounds like "Year Zero" but who knows.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

This comes from a leaked release schedule that's so old it still has Starfield listed as an FY21 release, so there's no telling if this is a title that is even still in production.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a leaked, fake schedule

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bumhead posted:

Interesting. I guess modern id/Bethesda may as well capitalise on the current scene and make a "new" Doom in the 1/2 style?

It's called Doom: Year Zero. That's it, that's all we have. I'm not sure how anyone could determine if it's in the Doom 1/2 style, if instead is in the Doom Eternal style, or some third option we don't know of.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's the third option, which is "not real"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

It's called Doom: Year Zero. That's it, that's all we have. I'm not sure how anyone could determine if it's in the Doom 1/2 style, if instead is in the Doom Eternal style, or some third option we don't know of.
Doom eternal in doom 1/2 style obviously.

But yeah if it's a thing, a doom 1/2 style through back game in the doom eternal engine could be fun.

Also looking at how much simpler those type of maps are, you wouldn't think it would be even that hard to do.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

And that's why I included "I guess" and that question mark at the end. It's speculation based on nothing more than a title, but makes some degree of sense if you want to extend that speculation as to what they might be cooking or play fantasy game drafting with it.

I don't think we're seeing the next big Doom (or Quake?) game for a while so I don't think seeing their take on modern boomer shooter trends is too crazy a thing to imagine them doing in the interim? Who loving knows. As I said, my preference would be a celebratory museum piece similar to Atari 50 but that's pulling things out of thin air too.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also it's the 30th anniversary of doom 2 next year, so like having some simple celebratory doom related thing come out wouldn't be too unexpected.

Romero's said the sigil sequel should be ready for that, so even if there's nothing else, I'll still be happy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I kind of admire that Romeo seemingly has no interest in using anything from doom2.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
apparently the second one will be a doom 2 .wad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

problem with rats maps is theyre just sniper heavens. I've probably got 750 hours on a single rats HL server alone and 9 times outta 10 the cowards just camp with the crossbow in some shadowed corner with a huge vantage.

Quake doesn't have a sniper weapon, though. The closest you get is the Rocket Launcher and at those distances, it's fairly trivial to dodge.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

A.o.D. posted:

Quake doesn't have a sniper weapon, though. The closest you get is the Rocket Launcher and at those distances, it's fairly trivial to dodge.

Lightning gun.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

dr_rat posted:

apparently the second one will be a doom 2 .wad.

I think that'd be cool but I saw something that said it wasn't. I haven't been following along with his live streams so I don't actually know.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sigil 2 is definitely for Doom 2. That "One Humanity" charity map was snipped out of it.

I think the plan is for it to land on December 10th for Doom's 30th, but who knows what'll come of that.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Kins posted:

Sigil 2 is definitely for Doom 2. That "One Humanity" charity map was snipped out of it.

I thought Sigil 2 was definitely for Doom 1 but that he's confirmed he is still working on a Doom 2 wad too.

I'm almost certain he confirmed that he wanted Sigil 2 to follow the Doom 1 lineage like the first one in one of his recent streams.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Kins posted:

I think the plan is for it to land on December 10th for Doom's 30th, but who knows what'll come of that.
Sigil 2 is definitely for Doom 1 - he has streamed a significant portion of its development on Twitch.

One Humanity is from a different Doom 2 project :getin:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Rocket Pan posted:

Lightning gun.

A short-range beam weapon you have to track people with that is only essentially a OHK in certain circumstances involving powerups is about as different to a sniper weapon as you can get, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

Sigil 2 is definitely for Doom 1 - he has streamed a significant portion of its development on Twitch.

One Humanity is from a different Doom 2 project :getin:
Well then, shows how smart I am. :v: