Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm much more functional as an adult human these days. I'm still struggling with deep depression and feelings of worthlessness, isolation, and loneliness. I feel this will only be fully healed when I can emotional engage with someone in a relationship again. I need a partner, but I'm not going to settle for something which isn't healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

im like. genuinely feelin' fine. i had a tremendously hosed up year but i am also an absurdist and i still have the joie de vivre necessary to get up in the morning so that's pretty sick imho

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel generally miserable, but that's hardly a change really. Only reason I'm able to keep on is thanks to poo poo like the goon fund and local help stuff atm, which really grinds the gears in the self hate machine.

Really genuinely wish I could detach feelings of gratitude from ingrained poo poo of feeling like a worthless parasite that makes the world worse just by existing.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

skaboomizzy posted:

My dad died suddenly of a massive stroke a month ago after fighting Stage IV lung cancer for four years, most of that involving chemo.

I flew home for a week to help my mom get through everything with the viewings and funeral stuff, then took another week off for myself once I got back to FL. I'm hoping I pre-grieved from his near-death experience a few months after his diagnosis when a biopsy gave him blood sepsis that was like 50/50 survival and I freaked out enough to take a couple days off work. I'm not sure that worked. I fully expect something random to trigger a Big Ugly Cry at some point or at least I hope so because not crying at my father's death is probably not a great sign for who/how I am especially since I was the only family member to stand up and say anything at the final ceremony.

I have no idea how to deal with grief and when my mom passes I am going to be completely useless for months.

I'm sorry for your loss, it's a really difficult thing to have front row seats for something like that.

I lost my brother to brain cancer 3 years ago and I'm still working out the grieving process. Just started seeing a couple of therapists to work through it. Haven't cried since his diagnosis, and we're working on getting me through the numbness and back to feeling.

There's no right way to deal with it, but I can suggest not taking my path: I thought that I had started grieving in his final months, when I helped care for him full-time when we were doing in-home hospice. I thought I was grieving when I stayed unemployed for the next 4 months. I wasn't. I've been an anxious, emotionless mess for a while now and I wish I had started therapy sooner.

I don't mean for this to be a grave warning or a command or anything like that, but I know that if I could go back and start therapy earlier I absolutely would.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Witeldram posted:

I noticed that this thread isn't as active as it used to be. How is everyone doing?

i'm fine. not great, but pretty good

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
"Hangin in there" is about as good as anyone can feel these days.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"An acceptable level of violence"

I did have a funny moment in therapy the other day where I was talking about how I felt I should get out there and try more social interaction with people and it took my therapist a few minutes to shift from "talking me down from beating myself up" mode to realize I was actually trying to move forward. The good news is I'm hosting a book club meeting at my place tonight, though I'm still kinda worn out from having a cold the other day and not getting enough sleep.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I find myself growing increasingly unable to do anything. I get home and do nothing, not even clean my house or cook. Every time I try a hobby I bounce in two seconds to do something else. People including family ask what Am I watching/reading and I wobble because I keep bouncing so much. Everything sounds pointless, I have no friends, I keep waiting for the collapse.

Therapist says I am only mildly depressed and need to go to the gym. Regarding my executive dysfunction she outright told me "no, you are just lazy". Sigh.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

I find myself growing increasingly unable to do anything. I get home and do nothing, not even clean my house or cook. Every time I try a hobby I bounce in two seconds to do something else. People including family ask what Am I watching/reading and I wobble because I keep bouncing so much. Everything sounds pointless, I have no friends, I keep waiting for the collapse.

Therapist says I am only mildly depressed and need to go to the gym. Regarding my executive dysfunction she outright told me "no, you are just lazy". Sigh.

Fire your loving therapist.

Consider asking your new therapist if you should consider an ADHD test.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Planning on driving an hour to see the Stop Making Sense re-release in IMAX but feeling bummed because I'd been hoping to find someone to go with and it never quite worked out. Getting kinda agitated (to the point of considering seeing if an ex is still in town) about it, but at least I'm feeling better about it than similar previous problems- I feel like I've got some decent social groups right now so it doesn't feel like I've been rejected, just wish I had someone to share it with

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Fire your loving therapist.

Consider asking your new therapist if you should consider an ADHD test.

I already tried getting one and got the "you did well in school so you don't have it speech". I swear, I have no idea why the Netherlands and Norway and my home country have the most worthless mental health professionals, public or private. It's like they are convinced everything can be solved with attitude and/or their patients are just trying to score drugs (I was once even told "this isn't America, we don't just hand out drugs here").

Heck, my SIL recommended me my current therapist and we actually had this exchange:

"Isn't [Therapist name] giving you coping mechanisms?"
"No! For the most part she just asks me how my week was and how I felt"
"Well, she can't just TELL you coping mechanisms since that would be manipulation. The whole point is for you to get to a point where you ask"

The gently caress?

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Sep 19, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
lmao mine have told me coping mechanisms ideas tons of times, and alternatives when I say it doesn’t work for me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I have had FOUR therapists so far and none of them have said anything beyond basic meditation. I don't get it. I think they just like listening to me talk or are trying to bilk me out of money.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AceOfFlames posted:

I have had FOUR therapists so far and none of them have said anything beyond basic meditation. I don't get it. I think they just like listening to me talk or are trying to bilk me out of money.

It's the latter. It's easoer for them to blame laziness -- it doesn't require any effort on their part.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

AceOfFlames posted:

whatever the reason is, you should probably find a new therapist anyway

keep trying

speaking as someone who was pretty hosed up and did the therapy, good therapy is seriously worth it

I'm not having panic attacks anymore and I don't think I've ever felt better mentally, but I had to find the right person who gave me the right strategies towards success and then do the work

Ice Phisherman has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Sep 19, 2023

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

As a medical professional I'm barely qualified to prescribe bandages and ice, but describing a case of executive dysfunction that's negatively impacting your life and getting back, "Nah, you're just lazy" is so completely unprofessional that I'm actually a little shocked.

Maybe put therapy in the backseat and make an appointment with a psychiatrist?

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

idk sounds like a therapist i saw for a couple years, she genuinely wanted to help but we'd keep going back to like, what she was trained on. she gave me some good coping strategies tho.

anyway yeah maybe you want more from a therapist than just basic meditation. if you did go out looking again, how could you phrase that to a prospective therapist, like, "do you do anything besides basic meditation?" lol

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I hurt my knee pretty good, they think I tore my MCL. It’s amazing how coping skills dissolve when you’re in constant pain. I don’t think I’m asking for advice but maybe just learning a bit more about the human experience

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

I hurt my knee pretty good, they think I tore my MCL. It’s amazing how coping skills dissolve when you’re in constant pain. I don’t think I’m asking for advice but maybe just learning a bit more about the human experience

I find it's actually kinda helpful to realize how easily negative thoughts are caused by external physical circumstances- to me it makes it seem depression and panic less reasonable if they can be obviously caused by something else. Hope you feel better!

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Some actual crazy poo poo getting posted, therapists aren't doing a scam on Ace.

To add some substance:

AceOfFlames posted:

Are you being direct about what you'd like to achieve with therapy? Do you see it as something that's done to you rather than a process you work through with guidance? What is your selection process for choosing a therapist in the first place? Enumerating some of this stuff could help us point you in a better direction. I seriously doubt the problem is with every therapist you see rather than some block you have towards the process, though.

Jorge Bell has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Sep 21, 2023

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Whats crazy to me is if all these therapists are scamming you out of money, why keep going!? It doesn't sound like it's working for you. Are you court mandated? I dont get that part. Does Norway force you to go before they give you some kind of government money or something?

One time this woman called me, she said she was referred by so and so. She said she'd been to 10 therapists this year (it was May lmao) and none of them could help her, "but!" she said, "I heard you were the best!" I said "I'm not the best, far from it, and I don't think I'll be able to help you." And I referred her to someone else.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
People with mental health problems are often desperate for help and go through multiple therapists, and often therapists are antagonistic to medications or ignorant about how some disorders work.

I don't think that's particularly strange. It's similar enough to my own experience.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

edit nvm

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Ace's last 8 therapists have all been camgirls giving him the girlfriend experience and his posts itt are an elaborate scheme to leave a paper trail to allay suspicion that he's just scamming the Swedish welfare state. That would explain everything

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

thehandtruck posted:

did u think they were scamming you

Do you think this is a good place to be mocking people who are looking for help with mental health

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Entertaining ideas like "your therapist might be scamming you" deserves to be mocked because at best it's just nutty and at worst people see poo poo like that going unchecked and start subscribing to the already way-too-popular idea that therapy is meaningless or fraudulent. It's exactly the kind of poo poo people dipping their toes into treating mental health issues shouldn't be reading and if I were king not only would it get joked at but would warrant some nasty poo poo for the poster.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's hyperbolic language, not a grand conspiracy.

Why not start a therapists vent about their patients thread?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
No, AceOfFlames was indeed suggesting that his therapist might be trying to waste his time and money and another poster agreed with him. Zero hyperbole.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't tell you to leave the thread, I said it's not a thread for mocking people with mental health problems and suggested that sort of talk doesn't belong here.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Mockery is a tool that can be used to point out how ridiculous something is my dude, my guy

I have enormous amounts of affection for Ace and the rest of the absolute nutjobs itt, myself included, don't be a cop

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
what's a good mental health out of 10

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Rock Puncher posted:

For leftists "not too angry at lawns" out of ten is usually enough

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel generally miserable, but that's hardly a change really. Only reason I'm able to keep on is thanks to poo poo like the goon fund and local help stuff atm, which really grinds the gears in the self hate machine.

Really genuinely wish I could detach feelings of gratitude from ingrained poo poo of feeling like a worthless parasite that makes the world worse just by existing.

Hey feeling worthless buddy - I saw this and wanted to point out that feelings of worthlessness are more intrinsic than extrinsic. You might think you feel worthless because you can’t support yourself, but speaking as someone who doesn’t need that type of support, being a leftist means understanding that even for the self sufficient well being is propped up by the suffering of the global south and heaps of unearned privilege besides. Obviously there’s a great deal of psychic warfare directed at telling you this is false, but we all know that is bullshit. It still isn’t easy to overcome, unfortunately.

tl;dr: I don’t need the goon fund but still feel like a worthless parasite most of the time. your worthiness as a human is independent of your financial means.

I hope this is helpful.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

No. 6 posted:

I'm much more functional as an adult human these days. I'm still struggling with deep depression and feelings of worthlessness, isolation, and loneliness. I feel this will only be fully healed when I can emotional engage with someone in a relationship again. I need a partner, but I'm not going to settle for something which isn't healthy.

While I’m in here, this stood out to me as well. Your struggle is real, but looking to external factors like a life partner to resolve them hasn’t been a reliable strategy in my experience. Resolving the worthiness will make finding and maintaining that relationship much more likely to be successful. Feeling worthless has caused me to sabotage important relationships in a truly startling number of ways.

Paradoxically, I happened to find a partner whose own trauma is quite complementary to my own. This made some things easier, but 18 years in it hasn’t really helped with the loneliness, worthiness, or isolation.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rock Puncher posted:

it's more of a shape than a number

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm feeling better about life now that I'm on lamictal, although I wish it didn't make feel so groggy and slow down my thinking at times. I've been better about motivating myself to do things and take care of myself, so I should bear with it, but ugh.

92223_3
Sep 22, 2023
Mental Health, no prescriptions. appointments between 10am and "10"pm. Spanish only.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

that sounds like structural discrimination to me. or maybe religion.

^^ good luck with the lamictal goon. I know people that it has worked wonders for.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Jorge Bell posted:

Ace's last 8 therapists have all been camgirls giving him the girlfriend experience and his posts itt are an elaborate scheme to leave a paper trail to allay suspicion that he's just scamming the Swedish welfare state. That would explain everything

9 - i recently acquired my credentials and webcam.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
i will edit my post to reflect this new information and make sure this thread remains an accurate and healthy place