Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I wonder how many authors got suggestions to add fetish poo poo from pulp publishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Woolie Wool posted:

I wonder how many authors got suggestions to add fetish poo poo from pulp publishers.

"Dawn of the Hot Sexy Tiger-Women Who Refuse to Wear Shoes"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Cursed little mermaid remake: "Flapping your fins you don't get too far. Legs are required for onlyfansing. Everyone asking to post.. what are they called again? Oh yeah, feet."

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Under the seat
Under the seat
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Screaming Idiot posted:

"Dawn of the Hot Sexy Tiger-Women Who Refuse to Wear Shoes"

Fritz Leiber lied when he said his editor forced him into that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Woolie Wool posted:

Pretty sure having a female love interest with an elaborately described body was probably literally mandated by some publishers.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Runcible Cat posted:

Fritz Leiber lied when he said his editor forced him into that.

"No, really, ask him!"

*gestures to phone next to a picture of the editor that's just Fritz Leiber with a fake moustache*

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
am i the only person who thought the last house on needless street was really really dumb?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I haven't actually read it, but I've seen some spoiler-heavy discussion of the plot, and it sounds colossally stupid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

This was actually a regular thing with Farnsworth Wright, the editor of Weird Tales, who was a big fan of luridly horny cover art in the least appropriate circumstances possible. A Wright cover was generally the closest a Lovecraft story would ever get to attractively-portrayed human nudity, for instance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

caspergers posted:

am i the only person who thought the last house on needless street was really really dumb?

I don't I'd heard of it. Looking it up, it sounds like it was written in a style that was a bit divisive in how it presented plot points and the narrative? e: or maybe just stupid? :v:

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Runcible Cat posted:

Oh, and in hosed up sex stuff, Richard Calder's Dead Girls trilogy, where a virus turns girls into immortal robot lolitas.

He wrote a lot of books involving highly-sexed underage-looking girls. For some no doubt entirely innocuous reason.

Oh gently caress, there is THREE of the loving things? I didn’t know. I read the first two. Number one was hosed up. Number two was DELIRIOUSLY hosed up.

I can’t imagine what a third would be like.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Darth Walrus posted:

This was actually a regular thing with Farnsworth Wright, the editor of Weird Tales, who was a big fan of luridly horny cover art in the least appropriate circumstances possible. A Wright cover was generally the closest a Lovecraft story would ever get to attractively-portrayed human nudity, for instance.

Which led Seabury Quinn for one to make sure he always included a scene where an attractive girl danced sexily or got menaced by something while underdressed so his story could get the cover illustration.

isoprenaline posted:

Oh gently caress, there is THREE of the loving things? I didn’t know. I read the first two. Number one was hosed up. Number two was DELIRIOUSLY hosed up.

Dead Things is the third, but I've got zero memory of what happened in it.

I should probably just thank whatever gods I own for that.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

isoprenaline posted:

Reminds me of reading any John Ringo book series, where the book progression was just like that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, I always forget he exists but instantly hear OH JOHN RINGO NO in my head the moment I see his name.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I always forget he exists but instantly hear OH JOHN RINGO NO in my head the moment I see his name.

Some while back, I read a series that was co-authored by John Ringo and another author, Travis Taylor. It had a lot of the usual libertarian Baen crap but wasn't as bad as, say, that one series where the heroes were the Waffen-SS. So I thought, oh, this Travis guy must be more normal by comparison and therefore the collaboration toned things down. So when I found Warp Speed at the local thrift store I was happy to plunk down $1.50 for it.

That was a very bad idea. It has been over a decade and I still sometimes randomly find myself goggling over how ridiculously bad that book was.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ringo wasn't the SS guy, you're thinking of Tom Kratman

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Tunicate posted:

Ringo wasn't the SS guy, you're thinking of Tom Kratman

Yeah, Ringo was a co-author with Kratman on at least one of those.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm still sad I never bought the missile shirt. "All hail ss-18 cleanse us" or whatever it said.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PJOmega posted:

I'm still sad I never bought the missile shirt. "All hail ss-18 cleanse us" or whatever it said.

Hail SS-18 Satan, may his passing cleanse the world. Those were some good loving threads. Horrifying, but entertaining. :allears:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
whats with the wandering inn? I tried listening to the audiobook and the author literally repeats themselves over and over right in the same passage. It's no wonder these books are so loving long

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

whats with the wandering inn? I tried listening to the audiobook and the author literally repeats themselves over and over right in the same passage. It's no wonder these books are so loving long

All I know is that it completely took over TBB’s web serial thread. All the posts became “new TWI chapter is out!! It’s 50,000 words and was written in an afternoon!” It did succeed in making me miss Worm Discourse, which is quite the achievement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The r/relationships thread never did figure out what worm music is.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

"No, really, ask him!"

*gestures to phone next to a picture of the editor that's just Fritz Leiber with a fake moustache*

Ahh yes, my editor! Litz... Freiber...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The r/relationships thread never did figure out what worm music is.

Oh that's easy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that poor woman

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Runa posted:

that poor woman

oh my god ive never listened very far the entire scenario is funnier when u hear that it uses the telephone ring midi sound

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

psh

baldfaced ripoff and its not even good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZFmZ0gZNZI

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Smiling Knight posted:

All I know is that it completely took over TBB’s web serial thread. All the posts became “new TWI chapter is out!! It’s 50,000 words and was written in an afternoon!” It did succeed in making me miss Worm Discourse, which is quite the achievement.

I tried reading through The Wandering Inn back in the day. It seemed almost like a story that prided itself in being really long more than anything else. I loved parts of it, but yeesh, what a commitment it was.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dammerung posted:

I tried reading through The Wandering Inn back in the day. It seemed almost like a story that prided itself in being really long more than anything else. I loved parts of it, but yeesh, what a commitment it was.

When you're basically paid by the update, you have an incentive to make a ton of updates that do nothing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dickens just fruitlessly rolling over in his grave right now

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Dickens just fruitlessly rolling over in his grave right now

Lotta writers are paid by the word, it's industry standard for a ton of formats

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

psh

baldfaced ripoff and its not even good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZFmZ0gZNZI

let's be fair. nobody remembers it for being good

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

PJOmega posted:

When you're basically paid by the update, you have an incentive to make a ton of updates that do nothing.

that's definitely part of it, but you can't underestimate the people for who "it's enormous and maybe even endless" is big selling point. it's akin to the people who believe video game RPGs should always be 80+ hours

I'll never read it but I'm glad it exists for those people, because I remember a time in my life when I was like that. I think the whole reason I got into Harry Potter was after I learned each book was 20% bigger than the one before it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Soap operas have their dedicated fanbases and they go on forever with no particular direction, see also comic books and megafranchises in general.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

WarpDogs posted:

that's definitely part of it, but you can't underestimate the people for who "it's enormous and maybe even endless" is big selling point. it's akin to the people who believe video game RPGs should always be 80+ hours

Right. There are videogamers who dismiss 20 hour games, tabletop gamers who insist on covering the table with every expansion and miniatures and custom dice, TV viewers who bemoan that a show finished after only 8 series, movie fans who insist a franchise is still fun after 10 entries, and readers who always want more, more of the same, "I just love spending time with the characters!"

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

I mean, some of it looks sort of interesting, but I don't think I want to pay money for that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

quote:

(F)ART (Illustration)

Tell me more

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Okay, I gotta know more about the rules for naming obscene birds.

Also, you really need to get a copy of this to Seanbaby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

many anti-Semitic examples