Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

Paired endings are very cool but there are also characters that nobody would ever pick like opera so its ok

worst post I’ve read today. Opera loving rules and is way way cooler than ashton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

What’s up switch thread?
Hope y’all had a good day. I got hassled by my 8 year old today while I was working and he wants basically something that plays like Breath of the Wild. He’s been slowly going through Tears of the Kingdom but he hasn’t really glommed onto it the same way he did BotW.
I suggested immortals fenix rising since people often refer to it as Ubisoft trying to make botw. He watched the trailers for Monster Hunter Rise and a couple of others but wasn’t very impressed. What do you point a kid toward when they want an open world action rpg? I don’t think he is interested in the slower pace of Xenoblade right now.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I dont know if you're limited to Switch only but im playing Jedi Survivor and enjoying it a lot

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why doesn't TOTK fill that role, it's just BOTW but more.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Lol seriously, just keep playing TotK, it makes BOTW look like a first draft of itself

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

otter posted:

I suggested immortals fenix rising since people often refer to it as Ubisoft trying to make botw.
I would also suggest this one.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mr.Acula posted:

I dont know if you're limited to Switch only but im playing Jedi Survivor and enjoying it a lot

I think Jedi Survivor is to dark of a game for an eight year old.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Why doesn't TOTK fill that role, it's just BOTW but more.

I get it. TotK is too busy, too full of stuff. The spareness in BotW is particularly important to enjoying the mood and the exploration. You do stuff in TotK, in BotW you just explore.

Maybe that space game? The name escapes me because I’m dumb but you go planet to planet not really doing much?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Immortals Fenyx Rising and MH Rise have demos on the eShop if he wanted to give them a shot.

Maybe Age of Calamity? It's certainly not a big open world but maybe he'd get a kick out of mowing down enemies with the characters from Breath of the Wild. That one has a demo too.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I get it. TotK is too busy, too full of stuff. The spareness in BotW is particularly important to enjoying the mood and the exploration. You do stuff in TotK, in BotW you just explore.

Maybe that space game? The name escapes me because I’m dumb but you go planet to planet not really doing much?

I think this is nailing it. He loves Minecraft and building etc but I think TotK doesn’t click with him the same because there’s something to do absolutely everywhere so he might feel overwhelmed. He’s got ADHD like I do but he has severe anxiety like his mama so he escalates when he gets frustrated and bails. When he first approached and said “I want another game where I can go anywhere and do stuff” I was like “fallout new vegaa…ah right, you’re 8…”

The Postman posted:

Immortals Fenyx Rising and MH Rise have demos on the eShop if he wanted to give them a shot.

Maybe Age of Calamity? It's certainly not a big open world but maybe he'd get a kick out of mowing down enemies with the characters from Breath of the Wild. That one has a demo too.

I already have all 3. He took Fenix Rising but he was standoffish about it at first and he was like “do you have to be a girl?” He’s 8 so girls are still gross which is fine with me.

Mr.Acula posted:

My 11 year old played through both Fallen Order and Survivor. He certainly didn’t 100% them, but he had a great time. The switch he has in his room and I don’t think the Mrs would be ok with him having an Xbox in his room. I think he can only make it about an hour sitting in one spot before he has to move around.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

OhFunny posted:

I think Jedi Survivor is to dark of a game for an eight year old.

Either I'm not that far yet or I was desensitized as a child. I saw Terminator 2 when I was 4

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

suggesting a Ubisoft game over TOTK is repulsive

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

suggesting a Ubisoft game is repulsive

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
How far could an 8 year old get in Dark Souls?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

otter posted:

I think this is nailing it. He loves Minecraft and building etc but I think TotK doesn’t click with him the same because there’s something to do absolutely everywhere so he might feel overwhelmed. He’s got ADHD like I do but he has severe anxiety like his mama so he escalates when he gets frustrated and bails. When he first approached and said “I want another game where I can go anywhere and do stuff” I was like “fallout new vegaa…ah right, you’re 8…”

I already have all 3. He took Fenix Rising but he was standoffish about it at first and he was like “do you have to be a girl?” He’s 8 so girls are still gross which is fine with me.

My 11 year old played through both Fallen Order and Survivor. He certainly didn’t 100% them, but he had a great time. The switch he has in his room and I don’t think the Mrs would be ok with him having an Xbox in his room. I think he can only make it about an hour sitting in one spot before he has to move around.

No Man’s Sky!

Everyone complains about it having no real purpose and it is random generation so you don’t have that hand crafted map feel but people says it does give a good exploration vibe. I have yet to try it myself so maybe others can chip in.

Windwaker is also great for this but it’s currently unavailable on what you seem to have. I’ll think some more cause exploration is my favorite genre.

A short hike is good too if he hasn’t tried it but it is very short.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No man’s sky might need a little supervision for the first hour. I spawned on a sulfur death planet and got lost from my ship and ran in circles for hours, scraping rocks for oxygen and hanging on by a thread. Might’ve been the one of my most stressful game experiences. Found out days later that you can just summon your ship to wherever you are.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Give the kid Witcher 3 or Dragons Dogma

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Be sure he fucks Triss and not Yennefer

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
:bighow:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

neato burrito posted:

Be sure he fucks MASTERWORKS ALL guy and not the jester

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I happened across this article about MS drooling over aquiring Nintendo, and it includes all the normal broke brain "stock appreciation" garbage that ruins companies:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/19/23880146/phil-spencer-microsoft-xbox-acquiring-nintendo

Bonus points for a subtle reference to a hostile take over the Nintendo board of directors to force "market growth" on them.

I'm not sure who I can talk to about this but I just wanted to post it and seethe with anger about how nothing in that language expresses any appreciation for actual quality gaming experiences.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dragon Quest Builders 2, explore and be random to his heart's content but there are also towns to build up and quests to help get people's lives in order.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I happened across this article about MS drooling over aquiring Nintendo, and it includes all the normal broke brain "stock appreciation" garbage that ruins companies:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/19/23880146/phil-spencer-microsoft-xbox-acquiring-nintendo

Bonus points for a subtle reference to a hostile take over the Nintendo board of directors to force "market growth" on them.

I'm not sure who I can talk to about this but I just wanted to post it and seethe with anger about how nothing in that language expresses any appreciation for actual quality gaming experiences.

Microsoft approached Nintendo in the early 2000s when they were developing the Xbox to ask about acquiring them and were quite literally laughed out of the room, I’d imagine any attempts to do it now will end similarly

Lmao at the bit about Nintendo’s future being past their hardware when three of the top five best selling consoles in history are Nintendo, and the other two are Sony

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doesn't Japanese law make it nearly impossible to fully acquire a Japanese company?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Doesn't Japanese law make it nearly impossible to fully acquire a Japanese company?

That's been my understanding

It would also be social suicide to even consider selling it like that

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Space Fish posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2, explore and be random to his heart's content but there are also towns to build up and quests to help get people's lives in order.

Oh yeah I'll second this, it's fun as heck.

Speaking of, Dragon Quest Treasures is on sale. Is it worth playing? Any depth to it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

maybealabia posted:

That's been my understanding

It would also be social suicide to even consider selling it like that

At the same time Nintendo is publicly traded. I'm sure a giant investment group could carefully get a decent chunk of it

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Remember when Microsoft bought Rare, because they thought it would give them Donkey Kong, and then never used them for any game ever? I wonder what character they think they'll get when they poach a smaller team again this time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hrist posted:

Remember when Microsoft bought Rare, because they thought it would give them Donkey Kong, and then never used them for any game ever?

them being rare or DK???

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hrist posted:

Remember when Microsoft bought Rare, because they thought it would give them Donkey Kong, and then never used them for any game ever? I wonder what character they think they'll get when they poach a smaller team again this time.

That's not true. It's just one exec who toured the studio after the purchase was complete who saw a poster with Donkey Kong and went "oh, do we own DK now?"

There's no reason to think that the people actually involved in the transaction believed that buying Rare would get them DK, or that it was a primary reason for the sale. That's just a game of telephone.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

looking at nintendo's business model of selling tens of millions of their leading software and and habitually over a hundred million of their hardware, while never discounting either and thinking "nah they have no future independent" is definitely a take.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

That's not true. It's just one exec who toured the studio after the purchase was complete who saw a poster with Donkey Kong and went "oh, do we own DK now?"

There's no reason to think that the people actually involved in the transaction believed that buying Rare would get them DK, or that it was a primary reason for the sale. That's just a game of telephone.

One day game "journalists" will post a drat source. Then I'll stop looking like a jackass. :saddowns:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

John Wick of Dogs posted:

At the same time Nintendo is publicly traded. I'm sure a giant investment group could carefully get a decent chunk of it

That's actually what is being discussed in the email thread in that article:

quote:

"I say "until recently" as our former MS BoD member ValueAct has been heavily acquiring shares of Nintendo and I've kept in touch with [ValueAct CEO] Mason Morfit as he's been acquiring. It's likely he will be pushing for more from Nintendo stock which could create opportunities for us.

A magical turn of events would be a hostile Nintendo take over, devalue, acquisition cycle (like how Nintendo mega-borked Nokia) but then Eiji Aonuma and Shigeru Miyamoto leave and start "Super Terrific Game Company" and immediately release five more 100 million unit selling titles for the PlayStation.

The Myth of Zenobia
Incredible Guiseppe Electrician Cousins
Galaxy Bounty Hunter
Radish Army
Terrific Birds as Pets

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Weirdo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Incredible Guiseppe Electrician Cousins

:lol:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Space Fish posted:

I think this one has a demo too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

News articles from 2020 describe valueact as having picked up a 2% stake in Nintendo for a little over 1 billion dollars, and then leveraged that into behind the scenes meetings to offer advice. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nintendo-valueact-exclusive-idUSKCN2232VT