Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Books On Tape posted:

Speaking of The Perfect Loaf, I made his sourdough bagel recipe last week. Maybe the best bagels I've ever had.

Those are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Books On Tape posted:

Speaking of The Perfect Loaf, I made his sourdough bagel recipe last week. Maybe the best bagels I've ever had.

These look incredible! Well done!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those are beautiful.

Absolutely. They look incredible. Mazel tov!

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
I made the sourdough pretzel recipe from The Perfect Loaf today (here) Need to work on shaping but the recipe is a winner. The lye bath makes a huge difference and is way better than baking soda ones like I've done in the past. Just make sure to double glove so you don't get a small chemical burn like me...

3/12 because they went pretty quickly while warm from the oven.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Braggo posted:

I made the sourdough pretzel recipe from The Perfect Loaf today (here) Need to work on shaping but the recipe is a winner. The lye bath makes a huge difference and is way better than baking soda ones like I've done in the past. Just make sure to double glove so you don't get a small chemical burn like me...

Man, those look absolutely incredible.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Books On Tape posted:

Braggo posted:

Wow!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looking for ideas for what to bake for my son's school.

• Needs to be able to be consumed straight, no cutting or spreading etc.
  • Individual servings (like a bun or a roll.)
  • Not crazy unhealthy.
  • Ideally not making a huge mess.
  • Bonus points for something that can be prepped ahead of time and just baked in the morning.

Imma need about 25 pieces.

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 19, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

• Needs to be able to be consumed straight, no cutting of spreading etc.
  • Not crazy unhealthy.
  • Bonus points for something that can be prepped ahead of time and just baked in the morning.

Something like a cheesy bread that you break off individual portions (I can’t recall the term right now)?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://youtu.be/Aw9_SJ6f884

Just any bread recipe, made into rolls and snipped with scissors. I used raisins for eyes because my partner doesn't like food colouring, but they did tend to fall off. Chocolate chips might've worked better.

You can freeze cupcake or muffin batter in the cases and bake when you want them from frozen, same for cookies.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

bolind posted:

• Needs to be able to be consumed straight, no cutting or spreading etc.
  • Not crazy unhealthy.

any reason you can't do cookies? lots of cookie doughs actually improve after a night in the fridge.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I had my first go at making pane bianco for someone today and it turned out great! They were very happy with it. I spread a small amount of pesto inside and added garlic, basil, sundried tomatoes, olives and cheese. Love the presentation and it's surprisingly simple to do.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Is that the S design from middle school in bread form?

Looks really good!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Toast King posted:

I had my first go at making pane bianco for someone today and it turned out great! They were very happy with it. I spread a small amount of pesto inside and added garlic, basil, sundried tomatoes, olives and cheese. Love the presentation and it's surprisingly simple to do.

God dammit. This looks so good, and I love King Arthur recipes, so I was inspired to try it. Apparently inspiration doesn't mean that it'll come out good, though.

I knew something was weird from the get-go. The dough never really came together in the stand mixer, and I had to add probably a quarter cup of extra water. I even tried the tangzhong method they provided, to try to get it a little bit more softer and pliable.

Even after rising, the dough was very dense, almost like a pie crust. It really didn't have the kind of stretchy, puffy texture I'd come to expect that sort of bread.

I haven't cut into it, yet, but it has almost like a biscuit quality on the exterior, and looks nothing like your loaf, or the one in the recipe.

Because I am a huge idiot, and a glutton for punishment, I'll probably try this again, tomorrow, without the tangzhong method.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That doesn't look like it rose nearly enough (which you already mentioned). The first thing I'd do is proof my yeast and make sure it's still doing its thing. The second is be sure I was measuring by weight, not by volume.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That doesn't look like it rose nearly enough (which you already mentioned). The first thing I'd do is proof my yeast and make sure it's still doing its thing. The second is be sure I was measuring by weight, not by volume.

I always measure as much as I can by weight. I have a sub-gram scale, so it's not an issue. I think the tangzhong might have thrown something off, or I mis-measured my liquids. My yeast is a known good, but I could have proofed it, sure.

I don't even know if it was not letting the dough rise. When I put it in my cambro container, it was less than a quart in volume. After about 90 minutes, it was a 2 quarts, but it was still incredibly solid. In order to get a fluffier texture, I probably could have let it go two or two and a half hours, easy.

As a taste update, it's fine, it's actually very light and fluffy on the inside, while having a kind of hard cracker like crust on the outside. It's not terrible. But I think I'm definitely going to just try it again, tomorrow.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

null_pointer posted:

I always measure as much as I can by weight. I have a sub-gram scale, so it's not an issue. I think the tangzhong might have thrown something off, or I mis-measured my liquids. My yeast is a known good, but I could have proofed it, sure.

I don't even know if it was not letting the dough rise. When I put it in my cambro container, it was less than a quart in volume. After about 90 minutes, it was a 2 quarts, but it was still incredibly solid. In order to get a fluffier texture, I probably could have let it go two or two and a half hours, easy.

As a taste update, it's fine, it's actually very light and fluffy on the inside, while having a kind of hard cracker like crust on the outside. It's not terrible. But I think I'm definitely going to just try it again, tomorrow.
Yeah, I apologize, I should have realized those were way too obvious solutions.

Sometimes bread just gonna bread. :(

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I whipped up an unthinking no-knead bread today, baking for the first time in a very long while. While I have my suspicions, can somebody confirm if this just wasn't risen enough?

It's tasty, with crispy/crunchy crust and a decent chew, but the crumb is denser than I'd like and there's... seams or veins, I guess, of denser material folded in.

It's a 66% hydration dough with 500g AP flour and a Fleischmanns Active Dry Yeast Packet and sea salt. Proofed for 8 hours in a 75°F place, punched and folded then proofed another 2 hours. Then I had to go to bed so I oiled it (even though it wasn't sticking at all) and refrigerated it overnight. Let it come up to room temp, formed, slashed, 20 minutes in a loaf pan at 450°F then 40 minutes on the rack at 375°F -- both over a steam tray.

Also, I didn't have to flour the dough at all to get it to come together or not stick. Would a flour dusting help the crust get darker and more... loafy?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
First bread in the new house! The oven goes up to 500 here and I tried folding very little and finally got that “audaciously open” crumb I’ve wanted to try.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Niiiiiice.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

null_pointer posted:

I've definitely had times where my dough just doesn't come out anything like I expected. Could be down to flour types and temperatures sometimes, I'm in spring in Australia and used my normal bread flour here. My proof and rise times were about what the recipe said with the warmer weather that day.

I did this one with the tangzhong portion added in too, I always just knead mine by hand. This dough actually came together surprisingly quick, after 2-3 minutes it was already really cohesive and starting to smooth out. Still went about 8 minutes in the end but you could tell early on it was heading in the right direction.

Only other change I did was lowering the oven temp by 20c, since it's all fan-forced ovens here and most US recipes are going off conventional ovens. Then added more basil on top right after it came out of the oven.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 26, 2023

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks for the advice and kind words, goons. To spite that motherfucker of a pane bianco, I made a scaccia, which turned out ugly, but very tasty.

A great combination of that bitter charred spots, the sweet sauce, and a little funk from the cheese. Well worth it. Plus it was the first time I've actually gotten pizza dough to windowpane in the KitchenAid mixer. Took 15+ minutes at speed 3, but it worked!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

null_pointer posted:

Thanks for the advice and kind words, goons. To spite that motherfucker of a pane bianco, I made a scaccia, which turned out ugly, but very tasty.

A great combination of that bitter charred spots, the sweet sauce, and a little funk from the cheese. Well worth it. Plus it was the first time I've actually gotten pizza dough to windowpane in the KitchenAid mixer. Took 15+ minutes at speed 3, but it worked!

Word on the street is that kneading with a KA should only be done on speed two: it's geared for that.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I tried the bread S. It also came out very dark and didn't really want to rise on the second proof, even though I let it sit for an hour in the oven. Need to give it another go.

Next time I'm going to use a sharper cheese, some tinned tomatoes as well as the sundried, more spice, and oregano instead of basil. It's making a very good breakfast though sliced up and toasted.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Word on the street is that kneading with a KA should only be done on speed two: it's geared for that.

Yeah, I subscribed to this too, but after noticing multiple times that speed 2 wasn't enough to keep the bread dough from climbing the hook all the time, and after hearing Brian Lagerstrom mention that he always kneaded his dough on 3, I tried it for myself. And it works!

On speed 3, things are moving fast enough to sort of fling sticky doughs off, and really get good mixing going on. On 2 it would just sort of lazily stick to the hook and never really ball up and knead.

Maybe going with speed two is enough for drier doughs, but for higher hydration stuff, I go one notch up.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 30, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

null_pointer posted:

Yeah, I subscribed to this too, but after noticing multiple times that speed 2 wasn't enough to keep the bread dough from climbing the hook all the time, and after hearing Brian Lagerstrom mention that he always kneaded his dough on 3, I tried it for myself. And it works!

On speed 3, things are moving fast enough to sort of fling sticky doughs off, and really get good mixing going on. On 2 it would just sort of lazily stick to the hook and never really ball up and knead.

Maybe going with speed two is enough for drier doughs, but for higher hydration stuff, I go one notch up.

Gonna try this next time I use the mixer! I hate the dough climbing up the hook.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There is a difference between pro and artisan speeds which sucks. The latter is faster to try and compensate for the weaker motor

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm making the king arthur no knead recipe and I somehow only added half the water when I mixed my dough, I figured out what I'd done about 20 min in, and tried mixing the rest of the water in and its very lumpy. Is there any saving this?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When? I'm afraid you'll have to knead it. It can take a lot of effort to get water incorporated and if it's already fermented you do not want to knead it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I mixed it in about 20 min after the initial stir. I've tried to incorporate it as gently as possible, and the lumps are shrinking, so who knows. Maybe it'll figure itself out after a day or two in the fridge.

edit: I've elected to just do the sensible thing and start over

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 1, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can leave dough in the fridge for like a week so it might sort itself out, but kneading was probably the answer. I made a whole loaf the other day where I forgot to add yeast and had to add it like an hour later and start the proof over and it still came out fine.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

wouldn't that just be an extended autolyse?

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Continuing to try out King Arthur recipes that looked interesting and made the star bread with pesto, parmesan and garlic inside. Another one that has amazing presentation without being ridiculously complicated!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

The King Arthur Flour recipes have been almost all miles above anything I got with Bread Illustrated. I actually feel like I wasted over a year trying to get their lovely recipes to work, when I could have been cranking out great stuff that whole time.

The first clue that it wasn't me was when I tried a recipe for a crusty white boule from Serious Eats and it came out better than anything I had done in the previous year

:dawkins101: 🍞

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I miss their baker's help line, or at least it being a 24/7 chat with almost no wait. Now I just have to bother you guys.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ugh, after a solid year or so I'm finally having an issue with mold in my bannetons. Any tips for getting rid of it? Normally I just leave them dusted with flour; I tried giving them a good clean last week, scrubbing away all the old flour, and it looked like the mold was gone. But now I'm seeing it again. I had used dish soap, vinegar, and even some Star-san from my brewing equipment. Maybe they just didn't dry enough?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Toast King posted:

Continuing to try out King Arthur recipes that looked interesting and made the star bread with pesto, parmesan and garlic inside. Another one that has amazing presentation without being ridiculously complicated!

Holy poo poo this looks so good. I've gotta do some of these myself now.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Ugh, after a solid year or so I'm finally having an issue with mold in my bannetons. Any tips for getting rid of it? Normally I just leave them dusted with flour; I tried giving them a good clean last week, scrubbing away all the old flour, and it looked like the mold was gone. But now I'm seeing it again. I had used dish soap, vinegar, and even some Star-san from my brewing equipment. Maybe they just didn't dry enough?

I was going to suggest heating them at like 180° f for an hour, but when I googled it, I got "If you discover mold on a wood or cane banneton (plastic is not prone to molding), bake it at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, then remove any mold with a bristle brush and store in a well-ventilated space. Never stack bannetons, as this can promote mold growth" which seems just as good. I can imagine they will darken a little bit, but should be usable.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I never washed mine, but I would often put it in the cooling oven with the door cracked after I'd taken the bread out. Just enough to dry out any moisture from the proofing.

I'd honestly chuck them and try again.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Vibes based sourdough brioche today

Bag o flour
16? Eggs
20oz ish starter
Milk to bind
Two sticks of butter

Mixed all that up and fed the baby a bottle and remembered sugar and salt so I mixed a quarter cup of sugar and a palmful of salt in a coffee cup and cut it into the dough and mixed it til it wasn’t so slimy.

Gave it about two hours and shaped it into two loaf pans of rolls a casserole pan of cinnamon rolls and then a sort of focaccia in a casserole pan. Finally, a big hunk of remaining dough just proofed and baked on a sheet because it was crayon time.

Midbake right now my hyperfixation is about brick ovens do I want to build one how big so on so forth

Rationale fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
do u ever think “i fuckin love making japanese milk bread (shokupan) using the king arthur flour recipe”