Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Iron Rose posted:

1000% agreed, you really are being way too nice. They have no power over you any more - stop acting like they do!

They do have some power over me, they could decide to just fire me with cause and then everything's out the door, so I have to walk a line, but I don't yet know where the line is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

FISHMANPET posted:

They do have some power over me, they could decide to just fire me with cause and then everything's out the door, so I have to walk a line, but I don't yet know where the line is.

Well then be really polite but start pushing things to see where the lines are. At the very least, concentrate all your effort on finding a new job, so that once you have that, you can just start pushing over the line until they fire you, with everything up until that point being free additional money.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FISHMANPET posted:

I'll give the boring answer and say just do the job as expected. Spending energy on maliciously complying or actively pursuing the bare minimum just isn't worth the mental drain. Put yourself in a good position to move forward to the next opportunity.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, most of my effort is just going to be on job hunting, while giving a minimum to what's asked of me. After today. Today loving sucks. "Please put the last decade of your career in a Google Doc" loving sucks.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
make chatgpt write it for you :p

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, most of my effort is just going to be on job hunting, while giving a minimum to what's asked of me. After today. Today loving sucks. "Please put the last decade of your career in a Google Doc" loving sucks.

“I fix computers”

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
During covid I went to my boss's house to pick up computers that were to be configured but the office was closed so they had to deliver to him. it was pretty awkward but at least he had the computers outside the house and I could safely take them to my car. My worry was he was going to invite me inside.

I can't imagine how weird it would be to go into other employees or a CEO Mansion.Who knows what's in a random person house, I've heard horror stories on that. I would fight it and they would have to fire me. i'd call it a health risk and not in my job description.
These days I have a different job but I can imagine the pain of that situation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
yay another org restructure!

A year after ITS changed to report to Finance, we now have an actual deputy director to report to.

Unfortunately the deputy director we got has a vendetta against ITS, and calls a computer 'the hard drive' and a monitor 'the computer' and nobody can convince them that they're wrong.
Ask them what a CPU is and they just gesture vaguely at the desk.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Well, chump lumpkin got his rear end fired. On friday he turned up almost 30 minutes late which apparently highlighted the dastardly he was doing with his weird clock-in scam and they checked the camera pointing right at the timeclock.

In other news the most frustrating thing of late is that I'm either waiting for engineer feedback or waiting for sleds to drop servers into. I lowkey wish I could take a photo of our lab because it looks really disorganized and awful, we have so many systems that are either waiting for parts or waiting for an engineer from nVidia to tell us what we already know. No personal phones allowed anywhere we work at though, sadly. I have 5 of them that are just kind of hanging out around my desk in various stages of per-testing.

The sleds we have are apparently custom machined at nVidia's request so we have to hope that they'll send us more for the ones that are broken.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DropsySufferer posted:

I can't imagine how weird it would be to go into other employees or a CEO Mansion.Who knows what's in a random person house, I've heard horror stories on that. I would fight it and they would have to fire me. i'd call it a health risk and not in my job description.
These days I have a different job but I can imagine the pain of that situation.

My favorite was the summer of 2001 when I worked for a state board of Investments as a receptionist slash IT utility player, and the oldest bigshot in the office asked if I could come to his house and troubleshoot an internet problem. A trusted coworker told me he was mostly harmless, so I said sure, I'll do that for a free lunch.

It turned out he needed his RealPlayer settings sorted because he kept missing the streaming reruns of Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My favorite was the summer of 2001 when I worked for a state board of Investments as a receptionist slash IT utility player, and the oldest bigshot in the office asked if I could come to his house and troubleshoot an internet problem. A trusted coworker told me he was mostly harmless, so I said sure, I'll do that for a free lunch.

It turned out he needed his RealPlayer settings sorted because he kept missing the streaming reruns of Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell.

That ended much better than I was expecting

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

To the best of my knowledge:

The standard directory sync agent can't sync passwords from AD to Okta. I'm not sure if can sync hashes or not like the Microsoft AD Connect service.

If you want to sync passwords from AD to Okta you have to install the password sync agent on all your DC's which will sit in the LSA stack and capture password changes. Similar to an AD Password filter, or how something like the Sailpoint Password Interceptor or Oracle Password Sync module and other software like that work.

I am unclear how password writeback from Okta to on prem AD works and if the regular agent processes that and how it works. We don't use it in our environment.

So either they're doing Okta AD password sync (which is a different agent than the directory sync), or something else, but I don't think it's possible for the standard directory sync agent to access plain text passwords.

Gotcha but overall... that sync agent is going to have access to a lot of things. Even if worked a different way, if that resource is compromised you are still is a bad, bad place. Granted, it still makes it harder for the attacker.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

tokin opposition posted:

Spam filters have gotten so good, too. Even Microsoft's gets 99% of em

I know I'm late to replying to this but the spam filters actually cause me issues - I'm admning O365 (which I don't like doing! but I also don't trust anyone else internally to, we're sub 20 people and don't need a full time IT person) and I get a lot of people thinking emails are stuck in quarantine or something and I'm asked to troubleshoot emails from external sources semi frequently. And that sucks. Like if the email isn't in your junk or our quarantine what do you want me to do for you, pray tell.

Like no, I am not going to troubleshoot some outside's company email. They can figure it out on their own!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://cheezburger.com/22262277/top-times-unsupportive-tech-coworkers-finally-got-fired-and-left-with-a-bang

Does anyone wanna watch me code golang while naked on my onlyfans? I can do python, terraform, or ansible. Perl is way way extra.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

jaegerx posted:

https://cheezburger.com/22262277/top-times-unsupportive-tech-coworkers-finally-got-fired-and-left-with-a-bang

Does anyone wanna watch me code golang while naked on my onlyfans? I can do python, terraform, or ansible. Perl is way way extra.

The actual Reddit post if you don’t want to read an “article” that just copies the Reddit post https://reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/16fgeag/so_how_did_that_one_person_in_your_department_get/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

rust or bust is my onlyfans

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

rafikki posted:

The actual Reddit post if you don’t want to read an “article” that just copies the Reddit post https://reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/16fgeag/so_how_did_that_one_person_in_your_department_get/

But then I'd have to read reddit.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

you read posts equally bad on the daily on these forums a single reddit post won't kill you

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Reoxygenation posted:

you read posts equally bad on the daily on these forums a single reddit post won't kill you

Yeah but I've got IE to protect me in this thread.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ah drat nevermind you got me on that one, you're right

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now with Enhanced Security Configuration. Want to browse the web? Too bad!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
*refuses to read reddit, reads some dogshit news aggregator called cheezburger.com instead*

i can haz cheezburger???

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

But then I'd have to read reddit.

It's time to let you know that you were a reddit changeling, sent to live among us and learn our ways. It's time for you to return home to your real posting pals

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

It's time to let you know that you were a reddit changeling, sent to live among us and learn our ways. It's time for you to return home to your real posting pals

All of my poo poo posting is done via app, if they don't have a usable app, I won't use it.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Today I got a weird invitation from atlassian for Jira Service Desk. Going into my account I found out I was added to a bunch of projects with nonsense names. Each of those has a bunch of open tickets with phishing links in them.

So naturally, I added goatse to all of them.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I sincerely hope that was not some internal attempt at phishing awareness and that you didn't goatse people who were just doing phishing tests in house

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

didn't someone do that recently

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

technically no since they hired some outsourced firm but yes because i'm lazy and don't want to dig it up

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Reoxygenation posted:

I sincerely hope that was not some internal attempt at phishing awareness and that you didn't goatse people who were just doing phishing tests in house

Nah, it's personal account I use for one trello board, it's not connected to work in any way.

The Fool posted:

Now that you say it, it does ring a bell, but search is failing me.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Today I received another few mails (which are likely legit attempts to make me do some compliancy elearnings). Since they came from SaaS providers and did not originate from our companies domain I marked them all for phishing.

Almost did the same for some mails about insider trading forms/info but just as I was about to mark them as phishing I received a mail from the compliancy team stating I’d be getting those exact mails from that address.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stoopidmunkey posted:

I just got my first gift card scam text so I decided to play along. I sent them goatse when they asked for photos of the cards. I know it’s an old reference but drat it was satisfying

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that's it, ththants

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

The Fool posted:

that's it, ththants

I specifically remember it because suddenly there was sobbing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just out of frame - a pool full of sharks labeled "get fired"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

My boss is now requiring all additions or removals for every Team in the organization and I don't know how to say "stop loving making everything go thru you it's a terrible idea" in corporate but I'm also burnt out enough to not care about the impending trainwreck

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

They also keep referring to SharePoint as an intranet which bugs my pedantic heart

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

They also keep referring to SharePoint as an intranet which bugs my pedantic heart

in the before time people would deploy sharepoint onprem

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We just got back a PC from an ex-employee and it's not one of our orgs computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GreenNight posted:

We just got back a PC from an ex-employee and it's not one of our orgs computers.

Does sickening work for you? or did work for you?