Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

I think you're more than just stating a counterfactual when you're using loaded language like "maintenance nightmare" and stuff like that.

You're right, that was a loaded term to use and I should have been more precise and used less opinionated verbiage there, as you say it does belie my bias somewhat. I do agree with everything you said in this post, as you say it's about balancing cost, performance, preference, and longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hydraulics loving own.

Give me hydraulic rim brakes.

Give me hydraulic shifting.

Give me a hydraulic dropper post.

Give me hydraulic transmission of power from the crank to the wheel.

e: Also hydraulic fork/rear shock lockout, hydraulic bell, hydraulic horn, hydraulic power meter, hydraulic lights—maybe carbide or gas mantle for those.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 19, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I have 2x11 speed friction shifters on my camping bike and it rules.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I like disc over rim brakes because it means my rims are no longer a consumable component.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
If you look at the exploded diagram of the v brake the spares listed are basically the brake pads and the noodles. Good luck finding spares if there's a problem with eg. the springs. The comparative part of the disc brake is just the caliper and that has like two replaceable parts that are all available.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

spf3million posted:

I like disc over rim brakes because it means my rims are no longer a consumable component.

Yep, rims as wear items just rubs my engineer brain the wrong way when discs are a readily-available solution (and better in bad weather)

In good conditions I honestly never really minded the performance of well-tuned caliper rim brakes, but they still just bug me on principle

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

I find bike insights adequate since I’m confident in the stem adjustment range and I know what kind of bars I like.

+1 for bike-stats.de, though the saddle height is measured on the vertical rather than on the STA. Weird when measuring a single bike, but makes sense when entering the same fit information for more than one bike.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

spf3million posted:

More importantly, it makes the bike aesthetically look better.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Guinness posted:

Yep, rims as wear items just rubs my engineer brain the wrong way when discs are a readily-available solution (and better in bad weather)

In good conditions I honestly never really minded the performance of well-tuned caliper rim brakes, but they still just bug me on principle

Is the rim surface going to go bad before nipple holes start wearing out or something else going wrong?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
3 years worth of maintenance on my MTB hydraulic disc brakes - 1 bleed (20 minutes) and changing brake pads every couple of months or so. Change rotors once they get to minimum width.

3 years worth of maintenance on my road bike's mechanical disc brakes - cable replaced multiple times due to wear and failures, constantly having to adjust pad distance for wear, bolts to do this beginning to round off, having to put up with and try to fix inconsistent bite and howling noises (new pads, new rotors, nothing works). These are TRP Spyres which are apparently 'good' mechanical disc brakes.

Also the feel of braking between mechanical and hydro disc brakes is night and day, my MTB feels an absolute pleasure to use, my road bike not so much. I'd put hydros on my road bike but it just doesn't get near as much use as my MTB.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Platystemon posted:

Give me hydraulic shifting.

It exists if you wanna try it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah I know.

I expect that it’s not great for reasons that have little to do with it being hydraulic and a lot to do with it being a first‐generation product.

If Rotor sends me a bike equipped with the system, I will give it my honest review on the Something Awful comedy forum.

If they let me keep the bike, I will give a dishonest review.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There was also hydraulic dropper seat post actuation, in the old Rockshox Reverbs.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Someone was asking earlier about the Priority belt-drive bikes. My brother bought a Priority Apollo Gravel and it's coming today, it's got an 11 gear Shimano IGH.

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priority-apollo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

Recs for flats for road biking? Don't really see the appeal for clipless at the moment especially given having to take city streets to get to / from any trails nearby. Been looking at Chester Race Face but open to suggestions.

I use Chesters on my gravel bike and mtb. Great grip in the wet/over bumps but the pins eventually tear up shoes. On my good-conditions road bike I have MKS pedals that won't tear up shoes but also lack grip in the wet.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Anyone have recommendations for a wet weather jacket for road/gravel? Bonus points if it’s something that can be sourced from most LBS brands or shipped in a couple days

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Paul Proteus posted:

I am super split.

I was dead set on waiting for a cannondale supersix evo 2 in deep teal. The price point was right and I loved the tacky color.

I went to my local shop to try out the evo 1 for sizing. They offered me it at 800 bucks less than the 2 to take the one in shop.

I'm really split - both look great (but I still prefer the 2). Anyone have any experience Force vs ultegra electronic? The only other real difference are the wheels from what I see.

Wanted to ask this again. Anyone got any experience with Force electronic and have any concerns? I don't love the fused chain rings but I don't see any other red flags? I'm coming from Rival Double Tap if it matters.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love my Force AXS builds OP. I have one on my road and another on my gravel bikes.

You can buy 2x chainrings and a spider, or PM spider, if you don’t want the direct mount rings. Just needs to be compatible with the 8 bolt AXS crank design.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Hot Diggity! posted:

Recs for flats for road biking? Don't really see the appeal for clipless at the moment especially given having to take city streets to get to / from any trails nearby. Been looking at Chester Race Face but open to suggestions.

I ride Kona Wah Wah 2s. Real big platform (118x120mm) for lots of foot support and position choices

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Is this a record?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure that's ultegra

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:haw:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Is this a record?

SPD, terrible dangling saddle bag, no show socks? They deserve it

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

meh would rather get grease on leg than grease on clothes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have both a waxed chain and a guard ring protecting you from such mishaps

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What’s bad about no show socks? Something about buying special socks for my special bike outfit has always felt absurd to me

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I don't like no-show socks at all, and not just for cycling.

Yesterday, I did a quick 17 miles, and I didn't want to use either pair of my cycling socks. So, I rocked some white cotton crew-length socks. If I'd had a pair of old-school, knee-high tube socks with stripes around the top, I'd have gone with those instead.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like SPDs :(

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

What’s bad about no show socks? Something about buying special socks for my special bike outfit has always felt absurd to me

It's mostly a fashion thing. If it's associated with triathlon (no show socks look like no socks, sleeveless jerseys, etc) then it's poo-pooed a bit.

And also aero socks are a thing.

Apr 7, 2003

testing my socks in the wind tunnel for maximum MAML points

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The stars aligned and I'm not working tomorrow and I don't have anything on my schedule and the weather is nice and I'm traveling a bunch over the next few weeks and then it's going to get cold and I can get out early and get a solid 4-5 hour ride and maybe get some coffee or a croissant after and maybe stop at the Rapha store or something. :getin:

Oh. Oh what's that? Our son threw up today and can't go to daycare tomorrow?

:suicide:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Awkward Davies posted:

Everything.

No show socks are a functionless fashion thing, that looks bad.

Any normal length sports sock looks OK on a bike anyway, but a few pairs of socks coloured to match your deliberately offensively colourful bearpope ™️ jersey are all worth it.

Apr 7, 2003

you're supposed to cycle in these

Stop being suckered by Big Sock

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

you're supposed to cycle in these

Stop being suckered by Big Sock

I ground the nail off my big toe on the pavement as a child when my foot slipped off the pedal while I was riding in flip-flops.

The idea of riding in sandals has made me want to curl up and die ever since.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Everything.

No show socks are a functionless fashion thing, that looks bad.

Any normal length sports sock looks OK on a bike anyway, but a few pairs of socks coloured to match your deliberately offensively colourful bearpope ™️ jersey are all worth it.

Good lord who gives a poo poo.

The peacocking is so dumb. Let’s take an already absurdly expensive sport and then judge people for their socks. People all kitted out in the most fashionable bike gear look so stupid. We get it, you’re rich.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

:same:

God forbid I want to be able to walk more than thirty feet when I bike somewhere.

I rode SPD-SLs in my twenties when I cared what other people think. Now in my 30s I ride SPDs because they are infinitely more convenient with very little downside.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Awkward Davies posted:

The peacocking is so dumb. Let’s take an already absurdly expensive sport and then judge people for their socks. People all kitted out in the most fashionable bike gear look so stupid. We get it, you’re rich.

Calm down, they're just socks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Awkward Davies posted:

It’s dumb and it’s insular, so it’s fine. The driver coal rolling the group ride is not paying attention to whether people are wearing MAAP or Rapha.

Mamils have other ways to be way more exclusionary to other cyclists.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vando posted:

Calm down, they're just socks

I turn sock rage into watts, it’s the only way I can get up climbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Guinness posted:

:same:

God forbid I want to be able to walk more than thirty feet when I bike somewhere.

I rode SPD-SLs in my twenties when I cared what other people think. Now in my 30s I ride SPDs because they are infinitely more convenient with very little downside.

Same, it's all upside for me. I get to walk normally and I can push it up dirt hills that are too steep or whatever.