Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Also as Oscar just described in great detail, even before his life with the supernatural he has made some real bad decisions so it's no surprise he isn't feeling inclined to cast the first stone. They are both massive fuckups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Grantaire posted:

I have posted seven new pages of Doomsday, My Dear. I'm going to finish this loving thing :mad:

Just started reading this, and it's so good!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Now that Girl Genius is actually back on track with the plot again, it's now directly referencing Othar Tryggvassen's twitter. I feel that the website's days are numbered these days, it might be worth looking into it before it goes down. The Girl Genius website has the first few adventures archived, but not all of it. Twitter itself seems hostile to non-users right now, so I've been using this website to look at it.

The important part starts in 2009. TLDR: After his adventures in Paris, Othar ends up traveling with a Geisterdamen, Oslaka, and getting marooned on a desert island. There, they fell in love and lived happily for 36 years, and after she died, Othar came back to Europe to find it a blasted radioactive wasteland (more than usual) and nearly devoid of life, presumably as the result of Lucrezia's schemes. There he met an elderly Tarvek Sturmvoraus who sent Othar's mind back in time to hopefully try to prevent all that, although Othar himself doesn't seem very worried.

In the current timeline, after getting captured and brought to Mechanicsburg, frozen in stasis, and then freed by Gil's scientists, he eventually decided to go back to Paris to find Oslaka and start a relationship with her again, only to find a different Geisterdamen instead, Eotain. He befriends her (platonically) with what he learned about geisters from Oslaka, and adventured their way to Holfung-Borzoi
, at which point things dovetail back into events covered in the comic, when he meets "The Shrike" who is almost certainly Zulenna Luzhakna from all the way back in volume 2 or somebody associated with her, since she is the princess of Holfung-Borzoi.

Hopefully the Foglios will archive everything before Twitter dies. They're at least aware of an issue.

https://twitter.com/Othar/status/1675725403133218816

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Girl Genius: Adventures In Castle Heterodyne is now released on Steam or GoG. You can try the demo on Steam. I don't see a demo on GoG.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world

isasphere posted:

Just started reading this, and it's so good!

Aw yay, thanks!

You're now legally obligated to tell me what you think when you're up to date.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I remain impressed with QC's ability to introduce new characters who are just the worst. I generally like questionable content fine, but God I hope this landlord gecko is revealed to be a con artist and then promptly disappears forever.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
The latest Ten Earth Shattering Blows has an amazing reaction face.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Honestly, it’s got like half a dozen great reaction faces.

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?

Wittgen posted:

I remain impressed with QC's ability to introduce new characters who are just the worst. I generally like questionable content fine, but God I hope this landlord gecko is revealed to be a con artist and then promptly disappears forever.

I can't help but read those lines as John Mulaney doing Spider Ham.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tau Wedel posted:

The latest Ten Earth Shattering Blows has an amazing reaction face.

Landa's entire journey so far has been her getting grabbed by people and making various upset faces and I'm all here for it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's very hard to pull off abrupt endings in a way that feels satisfying and Vigils for Friends is incredibly good at it. It also sometimes makes it very hard to tell whether a story has actually ended or not which I like

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
As an Irish I don't understand the problem in the latest girl genius

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's a good point, I do need some tea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

As an Irish I don't understand the problem in the latest girl genius

You're also in the thrall of the monarch of England?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

You're also in the thrall of the monarch of England?

It was not Albia. I thought it might have been the new queen, because if Albia just wanted to talk to Agatha privately, she could have summoned her/her friends subtly, without the need for puppeteering the Brits.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, but she is the reason it worked, she built handy levers into all of her subjects

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

And the standard issue QC trope of "JJ's shiny new quirky girl he made and becomes obsessed with and gets multiple weeks straight of the story focused entirely on her despite her being completely brand new" has fully kicked in.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

And the standard issue QC trope of "JJ's shiny new quirky girl he made and becomes obsessed with and gets multiple weeks straight of the story focused entirely on her despite her being completely brand new" has fully kicked in.
Hannelore should probably get the gently caress out of there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hostile V posted:

Hannelore should probably get the gently caress out of there.

My main impression from this storyline was "Jesus, Dora, the last thing you need is to hire this girl and the last thing she needs is to be hired by you."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Has Hannelore always been this orange? I haven't read QC in ages.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Hannelorange

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Elysiume posted:

Has Hannelore always been this orange? I haven't read QC in ages.

She went on a journey of self-discovery (and dragged Winslow along) and got a tan.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ayo's "it's over and I'm glad it's over" breakdown was a little too real though, oof. I still wish I'd believed at that age that something other than four years of college was a viable thing to do. I hated it so much.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

disposablewords posted:

Ayo's "it's over and I'm glad it's over" breakdown was a little too real though, oof. I still wish I'd believed at that age that something other than four years of college was a viable thing to do. I hated it so much.

I'm glad he's showing this side of the obvious mental illness, the "I'm a worthless piece of poo poo" smile panel hits extremely hard as someone who has to fight this kind of thinking a lot.

The flippant pages before were pretty grating until we got here, I hope he sticks the landing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The thing that sucks about Ayo is that there’s a decent storyline about mental illness buried in here but the extent to which she’s played up as a comically inept baby person for Jokes turns it all a tad extremely uncomfortable.

I never thought I’d say this but if it’s between Ayo and Hannelore, both of whom suck, and Cubetown’s parade of thinly disguised fetishes then send us back to Cubetown

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's my point, I hope this goes into it a bit more to counterbalance the jokey leadup.

I also thought the Cubetown "gifted kit set adrift" but was reasonably well done, but in QCverse nobody van have negative consequences so it ended pleasantly which honestly? I'm ok with.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

KC Green has a kickstarter going for the collection of his Pinocchio adaptation.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kcgreen/carlo-collodis-pinocchio

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I loved his Pinoc work. It does so much with just the moment to moment spaces in-between the actual text of the book. Definitely backing that when I can.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I managed to snag him as a guest speaker for my college's comic book club. Gonna be tough not asking 800 questions about the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff graphic novel

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Remember when Hannelore had severe OCD and didn't like things like being touched or other peoples' things? I guess getting a tan while shoveling yak poop cured her.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
QC has been spinning its wheels for a long time, but I don't know if I can sit through yet another arc of Jeph working through his imposter syndrome

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

QC is so nutritionless, like a hard candy you suck on to make your throat not dry. Has it been a year since Hannilore's trip? Two? Ten? More? How many plates can we keep spinning?

And yet, it's so unobtrusive to consume I have no reason not to follow it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

QC is exactly the kind of comic that I read without fail, but I would completely not notice if my RSS broke and it stopped being served to me automatically.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I eventually stopped caring enough to check, and the idea of going back to catch up and figure out where I am feels like being asked to eat a cardboard box. Not inherently awful, but a mild unpleasantness turned up several orders of magnitude by the sheer time and effort commitment involved.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

QC is one of the comics I will read in segments - sometimes several months can go by where I forget it, but then I'll remember and go catch up.
It seems to work well for me.

girl dick energy posted:

I eventually stopped caring enough to check, and the idea of going back to catch up and figure out where I am feels like being asked to eat a cardboard box. Not inherently awful, but a mild unpleasantness turned up several orders of magnitude by the sheer time and effort commitment involved.
Your browser has a history feature though, no?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
QC is good, actually.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

girl dick energy posted:

Yeah speaking of finding where you are, I feel like a lot of long-running comics I read generally have some sort of system for character tags or separating storylines into easily accessible chapters but despite being one of the longest running comics out there if you just want to look up one QC strip in particular, well good loving luck sifting through over 5000 pages to find it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

plainswalker75 posted:

QC has been spinning its wheels for a long time, but I don't know if I can sit through yet another arc of Jeph working through his imposter syndrome

QC has always been spinning its wheel. Spinning its wheels is the whole entire point of QC. There’s not supposed to be any friction, you are just supposed to consume. Consume the comfortable and unthreatening romcom vibes like the content piggy you are!

Which, all bombast aside, is fine.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I'd like the obscure webcomic record to show that I am predicting Sam the vampire ending up inside the book. No, I don't know why I am still reading Sluggy Freelance either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Oblivious posted:

QC has always been spinning its wheel. Spinning its wheels is the whole entire point of QC. There’s not supposed to be any friction, you are just supposed to consume. Consume the comfortable and unthreatening romcom vibes like the content piggy you are!

Which, all bombast aside, is fine.
In context spinning the wheel sounds like a euphemism for robofucking