Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So there will be a period of time where Crafted Weapons are all disabled... That's bad. They may as well take the dang game offline

You need an icepack from Apollo's ball hitting you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should take the game offline since you can't log in for over 30 seconds at a time right now lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wish I knew Computers well enough to know how their unsuccessful fix caused these issues. Like, there are still Auto rifle shotguns out there, but my machine gun can't Proc reconstruction, and my wave grenade launchers fire like a standard breach

Plus the whole thing where I get error coded to orbit once every 3 to 15 minutes

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

instead of ripping off the bandaid they're trying to gently tease it off inch by inch, slowly tearing out hairs and irritating the skin

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wish I knew Computers well enough to know how their unsuccessful fix caused these issues. Like, there are still Auto rifle shotguns out there, but my machine gun can't Proc reconstruction, and my wave grenade launchers fire like a standard breach

Plus the whole thing where I get error coded to orbit once every 3 to 15 minutes

I mean, despite the guns being wrong as you understand them to be wrong, they aren't wrong in the rules of the game/engine. None of these guns are doing anything particularly incorrect, which is why the game held up extremely well over the weekend despite crazier and crazier guns.

However, they are now trying to figure out how to force human understandable "this is an incorrect combination of perks" into game speak... and they're monkey patching it as they go because the system is happily running "as intended".

It's just... hard. Some of these guns have perfectly normal perks. Some of them don't. Some of them are obvious (like the exotics on being on non-exotic items), but some are less obvious (like mulligan being on literally anything). Some invalid weapons have a partially valid configuration (like double eager edge... one of those eager edges is legit!). There is no silver bullet to this.

They have to find a myriad of weird combos, find the unique thing that makes that combo wrong, and fix it.... and we made a lot of weird guns.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Game is running like poo poo tho

That's the funny part, that they broke basic stability by trying to force the gun perks to play nice

I wanna know why disabling Reconstruction causes nonstop currant errors!!

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

cause they extensively QA'd and tested their gun system and critically haven't touched it in years. they opened up the hood and started touching things and now it's broken lol.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's the funny part, that they broke basic stability by trying to force the gun perks to play nice

A competency crisis. They don't have enough people who know how stuff works still working for them.

Or to put it another way they have a complex system that can't be maintained by the current managers. They could maybe manage a simpler system.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

DancingShade posted:

A competency crisis. They don't have enough people who know how stuff works still working for them.

Or to put it another way they have a complex system that can't be maintained by the current managers. They could maybe manage a simpler system.

I mean, the Tiger engine is descended from a 90s RTS game engine. The fact any of this works is honestly mind boggling some days.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Currant is one of the generic networking errors, so it's hard to really track down what is causing it without inside knowledge. My wild guess would be that some new checks for gun legality aren't performing well at scale, leading to dropped requests/responses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The sad thing is I couldn't finish the GM NF even with the broken guns because pubbies kept getting greedy or forgetting respawns are disabled and throwing themselves into the arc captains lol

I'll get an adept weapon sooner or later I guess

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Even when they fix these errors it’s entirely likely they won’t know exactly how they did it. The goal is functional product not deep institutional understanding of the functionality. An established code base full of features that your users love can go from secret sauce to poison pill really fast.

You ever use a 20 year old spreadsheet that was started seven operating systems and three different accounting offices ago? Make one change and you can spend the whole weekend trying to fix everything before just giving up and restoring from a back up.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

sunday at work posted:

Even when they fix these errors it’s entirely likely they won’t know exactly how they did it. The goal is functional product not deep institutional understanding of the functionality. An established code base full of features that your users love can go from secret sauce to poison pill really fast.

You ever use a 20 year old spreadsheet that was started seven operating systems and three different accounting offices ago? Make one change and you can spend the whole weekend trying to fix everything before just giving up and restoring from a back up.

Spreadsheets suck no matter what, unless they have a game embedded in them lol.

Return to tradition: typing 5318008 on a calculator imo

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

The sad thing is I couldn't finish the GM NF even with the broken guns because pubbies kept getting greedy or forgetting respawns are disabled and throwing themselves into the arc captains lol

I'll get an adept weapon sooner or later I guess

I had mostly good luck with running GMs with randos with fun guns. best was a 11minute run, worst was like 50 minutes. I don't think I'll ever get close to that again without another glitch :shrug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neutral milf hotel posted:

I had mostly good luck with running GMs with randos with fun guns. best was a 11minute run, worst was like 50 minutes. I don't think I'll ever get close to that again without another glitch :shrug:

It honestly doesn't seem very hard with my armor up to speed now just very tedious

Please die faster, ogres

Not that it matters with the servers but I really wanted that hand cannon lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 19, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is it just me or is there a new bug in the nightfall where the deathtongue activates way too early? Normally it triggers when someone jumps down to the heavy ammo chest, but more than once this week I've had it trigger when we're still up top dealing with the first guys in that room and the battle hymn is in effect before anyone can even get line of sight to it. And when you do go down there, you see that the enemy hasn't even run over to the totem, it just spontaneously activated

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This week’s GM is devil’s lair I think and that one is pretty painless and easy.

At least compared to the rest of the GMs we have on schedule.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

haveblue posted:

Is it just me or is there a new bug in the nightfall where the deathtongue activates way too early? Normally it triggers when someone jumps down to the heavy ammo chest, but more than once this week I've had it trigger when we're still up top dealing with the first guys in that room and the battle hymn is in effect before anyone can even get line of sight to it. And when you do go down there, you see that the enemy hasn't even run over to the totem, it just spontaneously activated

Yeah I've had this happen and it loving sucked.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Yeah I had the deathtongue spawn early on two runs a few days ago. I was so goddamn mad, stuck fighting two barrier champs with that bullshit.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Crazy how if working conditions are so bad that you have a constant turnover, eventually, poo poo starts to fall apart. :thunk:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EVGA Longoria posted:

I mean, the Tiger engine is descended from a 90s RTS game engine. The fact any of this works is honestly mind boggling some days.
Reminds me of the last Legacy of Kain game where everyone was complaining about how weird and janky the controls were, and then it turns out they used the engine from a driving game and hacked it into a 3rd person platform / action game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it usually activates when you drop down after killing the two Unstoppable Ogres, but I've seen it activate while you're fighting the Ogres and as early as when you're fighting the barrier knight at the very start of that room.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1703930684845523179

Owie, eeeeegh, oooh, owie. :(

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This week’s GM is devil’s lair I think and that one is pretty painless and easy.

At least compared to the rest of the GMs we have on schedule.

I completed my first GM on accident this past week, just before the weapon bug became popular, so I was worried when people were talking about a reset. I happened to sign up on a whim for a Nightfall fireteam labeled "chill", and I had just decided I wanted to try out Solar since I hadn't played it in a while, and Phoenix Protocol since I had just gotten a good-stat drop. Turns out, the other Warlock was also wearing Phoenix and we just went to each room and cycled Wells constantly and all of a sudden the thing was done. I hadn't even realized we were in the GM version until the adept loot and mementos and triumphs started raining. Probably something I'll never get to experience again.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Thursday is not happening.

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1704202808340402631?s=20

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:smith:

I feel bad for their coders right now that are (and have been) probably going line by line trying to figure this out. What a nightmare.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah don't bother doing a lot today lol

Also lol I Displayed Cunning by opening every chest in the Engine. Take that Savathun :smug:

I still love the interaction between Xivu Arath and Eris this season. She genuinely wants her new sister to join her and is loving it and Eris is just shouting gently caress YOU back to her repeatedly, while everyone else is panicking about what a bad idea all of this is.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 19, 2023

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Fitting that all of this started with a frame rate bug. After all these years of getting absolutely instagibbed by ogres and shriekers at 144 Hz.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pioneer42 posted:

Fitting that all of this started with a frame rate bug. After all these years of getting absolutely instagibbed by ogres and shriekers at 144 Hz.

Maybe a game engine built for a capped 30fps on the Xbox360 wasn't a good idea for a modern PC game. :thunk:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Did Vex Strike Force on my Warlock and got Ophidian Aspects so that is broken too? I am still missing like 4 exotics on lock lol

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Firebert posted:

Did Vex Strike Force on my Warlock and got Ophidian Aspects so that is broken too? I am still missing like 4 exotics on lock lol

Which ones? It doesn't drop quest exotics.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

Which ones? It doesn't drop quest exotics.

Dawn Chorus, Fallen Sunstar, Necrotic Grip, Nothing Manacles, Wrathweavers, Rain of Fire, Boots of the Assembler

I haven't played Warlock in a couple of years, but I 100% had everything at some point

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Firebert posted:

Dawn Chorus, Fallen Sunstar, Necrotic Grip, Nothing Manacles, Wrathweavers, Rain of Fire, Boots of the Assembler

I haven't played Warlock in a couple of years, but I 100% had everything at some point

Do you own Beyond Light, Witch Queen and Lightfall?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Can't we just get beyond light?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do you own Beyond Light, Witch Queen and Lightfall?

Yeah, I have all of the Hunter and Titan exotics

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Serves died i think.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Going from the funnest weekend playing in a long time to not being able to play at all is a wild ride. Wishing the devs the best to figure things out.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Serves died i think.

BungieHelp twitter says they're getting DDOSed.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
wat? https://twitter.com/bungiehelp/status/1704309226628383222?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

e: beaten
https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1704309226628383222?s=20