Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Shiren Hype and Match Hype Overwhelming~

A comforting hearth warmth not unlike coming home to see a Berlin melee after being away for so long.

Apologies for not being able to inundate the thread with all comers direct and tangential---my Abyssal Gaze was disrupted via Profound lack of Internet and Absolute lack of a PC since the evening of 8/7 did me storm dirty and only here today can I start picking up the pieces and gazing back over the maelstrom of the past month and a bit more than a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Unfortunately, there's not going to be many updates on my match-3 roguelike for a bit. I'm switching engines to Unreal. Fortunately I'm only about three months into development, so an engine switch isn't a completely ludicrous idea, but it does still set me back quite a bit. I expect to lose at least a month to the process.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

were you using unity?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

were you using unity?

You bet your rear end I was.

https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1702784187147915707

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Shiren Hype and Match Hype Overwhelming~

A comforting hearth warmth not unlike coming home to see a Berlin melee after being away for so long.

Apologies for not being able to inundate the thread with all comers direct and tangential---my Abyssal Gaze was disrupted via Profound lack of Internet and Absolute lack of a PC since the evening of 8/7 did me storm dirty and only here today can I start picking up the pieces and gazing back over the maelstrom of the past month and a bit more than a week.

welcome back! hope your computer got some metaupgrades in the meantime

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks, a more competent* OS some gens ahead and back up to the RAM I had in the early-mid 2000's alongside running cooler and Advanced, Double Anti-Storm tech.

Last thing is still the true thing, far as I know given Unity's worrying idiocy has yet to beget any statements to the contrary: Triangle Wizard 2 upon the world in Some Weeks.

I also got a great, surreal laugh out of MegaCrit's (devs of Slay the Spire) official company press release statement issued tied to the above.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Unfortunately, there's not going to be many updates on my match-3 roguelike for a bit. I'm switching engines to Unreal. Fortunately I'm only about three months into development, so an engine switch isn't a completely ludicrous idea, but it does still set me back quite a bit. I expect to lose at least a month to the process.

As your game is 2D, why Unreal and not Godot? I saw several indie devs speaking about Unreal being a bit ill-suited to 2D games / Godot being really well-made for 2D games.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Loddfafnir posted:

As your game is 2D, why Unreal and not Godot? I saw several indie devs speaking about Unreal being a bit ill-suited to 2D games / Godot being really well-made for 2D games.

He might not have known about Godot at all. I think it's only within the past couple years that it started getting traction among indie devs, and obviously there's been a lot more attention on it because of the recent Unity stuff.

Fellow goon Unormal is working on a Godot port for Caves of Qud but it'll likely take a couple years to fully bake.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm well aware of Godot, and you're right that it'd probably be a better fit for this game. However, it would also most likely not have been a good fit for my previous game. And, not knowing what my future plans will be after this game, I'd rather learn one engine once than find myself having to learn two engines.

I can certainly believe that Godot is easier to do most 2D games in...but there we're talking about stuff like platformers, shmups, pinball, etc where you have collision events and physics that gets more complicated when you add a third dimension. My game has no "simulation" and is entirely turn-based, so no real advantage there. Also for what it's worth, I have a good handle on how 3D games work and what's involved in constraining them to 2D.

Caves of Qud considering Godot makes a lot of sense because it means they don't have to worry about the C# <-> C++ translation layer they'd need in Unreal. Also all they really need, if I understand it correctly, is a bit of UI work, because all of the actual game is more or less engine-agnostic.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal has actually been liveposting the porting process and at the rate he's going it's probably going to be "compiles but does not run" within the next day or two and "runs but with some functionality missing" before the end of the month.

It's clear that a lot of previous design work has gone into separating the game into actual game logic vs. "glue code" that the game uses to talk to the outside world in an engine-agnostic manner (and which then itself talks to the engine's API).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Caves of Qud is benefiting strongly from something like 15 years' worth of "we don't need to do this the fastest possible way, we can afford to take the time to do it right because it's just a hobby project" thinking. The vast majority of games don't have that clean divide between the presentation layer and the game logic; I know my games sure don't.

There's also the non-negligible chance that CoQ v1.0 will end up on Game Pass or something, in which case the new Unity terms might very well be relevant. Plus of course "Unity announced new fee schedule, and one week later a fairly well-known game was running* in Godot instead" is a potential PR coup. Indies that want to succeed commercially need to notice potential opportunities to go viral; they can really make a big difference.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm well aware of Godot, and you're right that it'd probably be a better fit for this game. However, it would also most likely not have been a good fit for my previous game. And, not knowing what my future plans will be after this game, I'd rather learn one engine once than find myself having to learn two engines.

I can certainly believe that Godot is easier to do most 2D games in...but there we're talking about stuff like platformers, shmups, pinball, etc where you have collision events and physics that gets more complicated when you add a third dimension. My game has no "simulation" and is entirely turn-based, so no real advantage there. Also for what it's worth, I have a good handle on how 3D games work and what's involved in constraining them to 2D.

Caves of Qud considering Godot makes a lot of sense because it means they don't have to worry about the C# <-> C++ translation layer they'd need in Unreal. Also all they really need, if I understand it correctly, is a bit of UI work, because all of the actual game is more or less engine-agnostic.

Do you maintain a dev diary or anything like that? I'm in sort of a similar spot, looking at a hobby project that seems better suited to Godot but wanting to cram it into Unreal anyway for the learning experience. I'd be really interested in how your experience with it goes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

Do you maintain a dev diary or anything like that? I'm in sort of a similar spot, looking at a hobby project that seems better suited to Godot but wanting to cram it into Unreal anyway for the learning experience. I'd be really interested in how your experience with it goes.

I guess I could start a project.log thread (done!). I ran one for Waves of Steel, after all. Currently my progress on Unreal Engine is "I've followed the first five minutes of a tutorial", though. That's more down to the last week being emotionally draining than anything else, though. Hopefully I'll have enough energy to really start making inroads on it this week.

EDIT: guess who forgot to choose a thread icon? I destroyed the old project.log thread and made a new one; fixed the link.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 17, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Unormal has actually been liveposting the porting process and at the rate he's going it's probably going to be "compiles but does not run" within the next day or two and "runs but with some functionality missing" before the end of the month.

It's clear that a lot of previous design work has gone into separating the game into actual game logic vs. "glue code" that the game uses to talk to the outside world in an engine-agnostic manner (and which then itself talks to the engine's API).

this is actually the greatest thread in roguelikes right now, do not miss this hilarity

got a few % boost on Unity->Godot speedrun because his kid has been working on a Sonic fan game in Godot for several years

somehow even the development is qud.txt

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I had seen OTXO around but wrote it off because of the black and white art style.

Raycevik made one of his usual 40 minute videos about it and I'm sold. I feel bad for sleeping on it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-viUOi9RywE

Game goes pretty hard, here's one level's worth of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-NVVy1nKis

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ToxicFrog posted:

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1703583742369919353

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I mean, technically today is before the end of the month.

drat, though. I expected - even with Qud's code separation - it to take much longer than that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hilarious. Amazing. Qud.

I pitched it off to ShillUp, have to see if it hits his weekly gaming news roundup. Really any gaming news site should be covering this kind of story.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I tried caves of qud a while ago and just remember bouncing off of it hard.

I really wanted to like it, but I felt really inexperienced with that sort of game at the time. Would love to give it another shot

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

I really wanted to like it, but I felt really inexperienced with that sort of game at the time. Would love to give it another shot

They've made extremely significant strides in accessibility, I don't know how long since you played it, but you can play it in non permadeath and there are a ton of input/ui options now that are just straight up superior to the old days. It's on steamdeck even.

The rest of the game remains sublime.

I've been waiting to do a writeup on it for literal years now, but I'm holding off till 1.0.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caves of Qud looks much more imposing than it actually is, plus the early levels are pretty difficult relative to the rest of the game. All said and done it's one of the easier, more completable traditional roguelikes because once you get a build off the ground there's not much that can kill you. The controls/interactions aren't as complex as a game like Nethack, most of it is handled through context menus.

It's also probably the best traditional roguelike around in virtually every category. Definitely worth giving it another shot

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's also probably the best traditional roguelike around in virtually every category.

I'll object to this, but not on the grounds that it's the best, only that I think it's way beyond a traditional roguelike at this point :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

w00tmonger posted:

How long was "a while ago"? Because it's undergone an amazing transformation. "Transformation" is probably a bad word. Apotheosis? It's come an insane distance since the early days where you'd just get lost perpetually in the underworld below Joppa with not all that much to actually do.

victrix posted:

I'll object to this, but not on the grounds that it's the best, only that I think it's way beyond a traditional roguelike at this point :v:

It's kind of a fusion between "traditional roguelike" and "full-blown PC CRPG".

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played through the playable multiplayer beta of endless dungeon, killed both bosses and got an ending screen.

I also played it with friends, and it was harder than I was used to because the default is 2 characters in single player and I was used to playing that. If you add a third character in single player, the game gets a lot harder. I was playing with two friends and it increased the difficulty accordingly.

I found it pretty fun but I unlocked everything pretty fast.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I've played a fair bit of QUD but I always bounce when i hit 1 turn death scenarios. Opening a door to a chaingun turret, dead. Rocket tower constructor bots building towers on the other side of a dark cave, dead, etc. Mostly enemy rocket anything. Kind of feels cheap to end a 2-3 hour run in an instant. It doesn't really incentivise the strategic learning aspect, it just makes me not want to come back. I do eventually anyway, just until the next cheap kill though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Turrets beep before they fire though

I explicitly call this out because I bitched about exactly that death 25 years ago and Unormal patched it in a few updates later :v:

plus just, play without permadeath till you've got a handle on the mechanics, builds, and bullshit

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I've had a couple fairly successful level 25 runs and "won" before the latest couple releases. I just did a run last week that ended with me opening a door and dying to turrets (no chirp, just instant death) and felt like complaining.

My mutant had a force shield and a bunch of survival skills, there just wasn't a turn to activate. Not sure if maybe I was slowed somehow or if unlocking and opening a door takes more than one turn(?) (I had the psychomancy mutation to unlock doors), there's just kind of a lot of fun-sapping types of death.

Edit: ok, just read up on it, supposedly walking into a door consumes two turns? Opening the door then stepping into it? Regardless of the potential danger on the other side/etc.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Qud is so good it does not even need permadeath to be compelling tbh. turn saving and loading on then just putter around, it's great fun! the newish exploration mode is geared towards a less dangerous experience too. you gain XP by talking and hanging out

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

ToxicFrog posted:

That was extremely interesting, thanks!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Applicable either here on the Actiony front or the Survivors thread as it is also pulling a Gaunt Valkyr and leveraging both at once: Spell Disk

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2292060/Spell_Disk/

quote:

Spell Disk is a rogue-lite action game with a unique synergy building mechanic so that your runs can never be the same. Strategize and create your own spell combo synergies to blast through enemies on your way! Each run is unique, so you must plan out how to build your power.

Discover combos and synergies that no one’s seen before! Maximize your power to better your chance of escaping the dungeon of Spell Disk.

Craft spells, disks, and artifacts during your run that synergies with each other in their own ways.

Unlock new weapons and powers to hack and slash through the enemies blocking your way.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1815230/Summum_Aeterna/
And another one for the count of 2d action roguelites/platformers. It's getting 8s in review scores.

Played this over the weekend while sick. It's a solid 6/10 for me. Everything is somewhat competent but it is the worst type of metaprogression (pure stats improvements basically), and spread out over 6 different unique currencies. Combat it kind of slow and doesn't feel ever really fun. Platforming is sort of clunky. The 3 weapons are not interesting and the variants barely change play style at all. And the ARPG style random stats on equipment aren't interesting.

A few unique world mechanics but overall this feels like Rogue Legacy 1 level of game. Rogue Legacy 2 does everything this game does but way better, platforming, combat, bosses, progression, ascension.

Maybe the metroidvania it was based on is better? I may try that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zorbus update today, the first in a few months:

You are now guaranteed to find an Elixir of Talent in one of the shops in Carillo.
Level loot now remembers the state of the "0" filter (which shows coins, devices, special and sellable items). This can be toggled by pressing "0". Also added an alternative key to toggle it: NUMPAD 0.
Fixed a bug where "xxx wakes up" messages were generated during combat. (thanks to Aoemica for mentioning)
Fixed a bug where arrow keys didn't function in examine- / level map -modes when DCSS keybindings were used.
Changing the name of a pregenerated character is now saved.
You can now delete saved games from the load menu by pressing CTRL + DEL when the selector is on the save.
When the game goes idle after 30 seconds of no player interaction, all animation / sound effects now correctly stops. Previously the health bar flashing and heartbeat sound effect didn't stop.
The section in the obituary file that lists former ascended players and companions now also mentions their race and experience level.
Added some clarifications to in-game ability / skill descriptions, Zorbupedia, and the PDF manual:
When defending against a melee or a ranged attack, every adjacent hostile creature above one decreases the defense by 2.
When using the Magic-skill, every adjacent hostile creature increases the skill check difficulty by 1. A positive Spirit-modifier decreases the difficulty by one creature per modifier point. A negative Spirit-modifier further increases the difficulty by the modifier amount.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

LordSloth posted:

For the roguelike thread, I probably would not recommend though I would not advise against either. I’ll see more as I get more time in.
I’ve put a few hours into Heretic’s Fork as well and I’m definitely enjoying it, but it’s neither a deckbuilder nor a tower defence game. It’s an idler with some roguelike elements. Has some serious balance issues; garrisons and hellfire are useless (except ironically the hellfire garrison), but maybe it’ll get looked at in time?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been playing a bunch more of Erannorth lately and even though I'm mostly been puttering about in early game, messing with different builds, I find the game to be so incredibly close to ToME.
Both games have exactly the same positive and negative sides.

Exceptionally good and fun build variety wrapped inside a campaign that want you to do way way too many random fights against endless trash mobs and rewards you for doing a bunch of unfun grinding.
The only thing I haven't see in Erannorth yet is a random indistinct Rare rat that wrecks you in one turn because it accidentally rolled features that hard counter your build, but maybe I haven't got far enough into the game yet.

Overall very interesting game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack Trades posted:

I've been playing a bunch more of Erannorth lately and even though I'm mostly been puttering about in early game, messing with different builds, I find the game to be so incredibly close to ToME.
Both games have exactly the same positive and negative sides.

Exceptionally good and fun build variety wrapped inside a campaign that want you to do way way too many random fights against endless trash mobs and rewards you for doing a bunch of unfun grinding.
The only thing I haven't see in Erannorth yet is a random indistinct Rare rat that wrecks you in one turn because it accidentally rolled features that hard counter your build, but maybe I haven't got far enough into the game yet.

Overall very interesting game.

I really like just the general insane mess of it. Anything you can think of, you can make as a character and get it at least somewhat working.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
and that is before you grab any of the dlc where there is just... even more of that

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Khasim posted:

I’ve put a few hours into Heretic’s Fork as well and I’m definitely enjoying it, but it’s neither a deckbuilder nor a tower defence game. It’s an idler with some roguelike elements. Has some serious balance issues; garrisons and hellfire are useless (except ironically the hellfire garrison), but maybe it’ll get looked at in time?

Hellfire isn't useless - high power Sunder towers are very effective, Cleanser is as good as Judgement for PB damage and there's an item you can unlock that converts 5% of Hellfire damage to healing which is ridiculous sustain. But it's got the weakest level 1 in the game - if you want to win with it, you have to upgrade into a green tower early then focus hard.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Has anyone played the old game Mage Guild? I've been digging through roguelikes trying to find examples of games with more complex magic systems where you aren't just picking a spell from a list. Not having much luck so far, unfortunately.

Mage Guild has a list of 50 spells, but it's the alchemy system that caught my eye. I'm planning to play it and see for myself once I have some more free time later this week, but if anyone's played it I'd be interested in your experience.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You've probably played a lot of Noita then?

edit: Not a RL, but Arx Fatalis did a bunch of spell-building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Magicka leaps to mind, of course.