Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

"Please do not employ wetwork squads in Canada. If you must have someone whacked, reach out to the RCMP"

I wouldn't trust the RCMP with that sort of thing but I have the utmost confidence that they will investigate this latest thing that actually happened with adeptness and alacrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

I wouldn't trust the RCMP with that sort of thing but I have the utmost confidence that they will investigate this latest thing that actually happened with adeptness and alacrity.

I mean, they probably would have just waited four months and left him in the BC interior without any shoes, but still, there's a process.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That Kenney election interference thing is gonna wrap up any day now.

Any... day... now....

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

The Liberal reaction was to bury this until after the trade mission was over, they don't really give a poo poo but this would play out the exact same with a Conservative government. Who would they flip out on?

Another Bill posted:

Yeah that's p. much what i think too. We wouldn't be hearing about this if the trade mission was a success.

The trade mission was cancelled.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

PT6A posted:

I for one am shocked that the government of a country born in one of the largest acts of ethnic cleansing in history, would do a thing like this!

What did Canada do now?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Maneck posted:

The trade mission was cancelled.

And only then was this released, if CSIS warned the guy they've known who did it from the start.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Means tested assassination protection

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

infernal machines posted:

"Please do not employ wetwork squads in Canada. If you must have someone whacked, reach out to the RCMP"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So India runs a kill list similar to Pakistan?

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts/1065-the-kill-list

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

IMO it would be more surprising if a given nation state did not have a kill list.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

IMO it would be more surprising if a given nation state did not have a kill list.

Ours is “Canadians”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Ours is “Canadians”

Something something Death Panels, something something MAID

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Ours is “Canadiansfirst nations”

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre urges PM Trudeau to reveal evidence of India’s role in killing of Canadian Sikh leader

It occurred to me today that PM Modi's BJP is heavily connected to Stephen Harper's proto-fashy International Democratic Union, and that Stephen Harper is Pierre Poilievre's old boss / mentor / founder of the Conservative party.

Just a little food for thought.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Finding it hard to care about this. How many people did our guys murder in Libya or Afghanistan or Yugoslavia. Whatever

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We let our resource extraction companies commit the majority of our extrajudicial executions, like civilized people.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I’m reasonably certain the guy who died was not responsible for any of those things.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Just saying, our government is completely full of poo poo to try and act upset about this. Canadian mining company thugs are almost certainly murdering someone right now to extract profits for the execs in Toronto or Montreal. The Mounties are probably murdering a citizen of an Indigenous nation right now. Oh no the Indian CIA maybe possibly (if you believe CSIS lmfao) did the exact sort of thing we do all the time at the behest of our imperial master and the corporate interests who have captured our system. How terrible

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

We absolutely have the right to be upset that they didn't go through the proper procedure of getting a domestic organization to do it.

E: and paying us for the service.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 20, 2023

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Just saying, our government is completely full of poo poo to try and act upset about this. Canadian mining company thugs are almost certainly murdering someone right now to extract profits for the execs in Toronto or Montreal. The Mounties are probably murdering a citizen of an Indigenous nation right now. Oh no the Indian CIA maybe possibly (if you believe CSIS lmfao) did the exact sort of thing we do all the time at the behest of our imperial master and the corporate interests who have captured our system. How terrible

As someone vehemently opposed to any imperial apologetics our government is performing, or extrajudicial killings our government is doing either in Canada or elsewhere, I don't think your approach is helping anyone. "We'll let them do it cause we do it too" is a race to the bottom. Yes everyone in international relations is an obvious hypocrite, but if we all sit on our hands and do nothing because of that, all that will happen is the bad actors will become more brazen. And any attempted good actors will be stifled or ignored.

The man murdered had absolutely nothing to do with the sins of the Canadian government. As far as our laws are concerned, he also had nothing to do with any illegal acts in India either; RCMP detained him in 2018 to look into that and released him the same day. Thus he was innocent, and innocent individuals being killed should not happen. Yes it sucks that every single authority on this Earth who might enforce that has dirt/blood on their hands, but letting a heinous crime slide won't fix that.

I'm not asking you to make this the biggest deal in the world, but declaring "I don't care" is not a gotcha against the system. You're not fighting the power here, it's just insensitive.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

we shouldn’t be doing those things and other countries shouldn’t be doing them to us maybe

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Like if you actually don’t care maybe you should whatabout-face and walk out of the thread instead of declaring how cool you are for not giving a poo poo

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Maybe if I vote hard enough the bad things will stop and the rules based international order will prevail

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A Canadian citizen minding his own business outside a site of worship gets capped by a fascist goon squad at the behest of a foreign government but I guess it's impossible to say whether that's good or bad, because individual Canadians may have done bad things too at some point.

And I mean, yeah, if Canadians are behaving badly abroad, then absolutely prosecute them both according to local and Canadian laws to the fullest extent possible. And if it's done with Canadian government support or even tacit approval, then turn it into an international scandal.

EDIT: Thinking about it, even this stupid "well we do it too!" response belies the fact that the situation is completely different. If a foreign government accused Canadian government of complicity in these acts, I think the absolute first response of everyone in this thread including myself would be "let's get to the bottom of this." Not "oh they're so anti-Canadian, we should cut off ties, abloobloobloo."

Modi's supporters on social media loving sicken me. "We should cut off ties with Canada! This is a terrible insult!" Good, gently caress off. You won't be missed. Sikhs are the backbone of this country, known for their charity, generosity, kindness, hard work and bravery. Modi's lot are a bunch of loving call centre scammers and sexually frustrated fascists.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 20, 2023

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
We're all familiar with bad takes in the thread, but this has to be an all timer. Who honestly expected someone to go on about how cool they are with a fascist, religious supremist foreign government executing their fellow citizens in Canada for saying things that government disagrees with?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
It's a slippery slope before China sends someone here to knock off the Michaels on our home and native land.

We must stay strong to protect our Michaels future, and those hopeing to have kids named Michael.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I thought this Paul Wells interview with Kennedy Stewart about Stewart's successful efforts to decriminalize illegal drugs in Vancouver was an interesting listen.

Stewart is surely pumping his own tires here a bit, but one does get the sense of Stewart as a sort of politically clueless, idealist professor MP that of course makes zero friends anywhere, even in his own party, but is nonetheless ultimately on the correct side of every issue.

Some notable reveals:
* John Horgan disliked Stewart so much for Stewart's anti-TMX stance as an MP that he refused to accept any phone calls from him the entire time he was Vancouver mayor. (!!!)
* Mulcair hated Stewart because Stewart was making noise about out how disorganized and dysfunctional the party was.
* Stewart asserted that Horgan had no real interest in urban issues or the drug crisis. (Believable!)
* The BC NDP cabinet was against drug decriminalization and worked to try to slow progress before ultimately capitulating because there was a path for Vancouver to work a deal just with the Feds alone.
* Decriminalization happened pretty much entirely due to Fed Minister of Health Patty Hajdu.

Stewart remarkably still seems to be a bit active and tweeting and seemingly trying to keep his political apparatus alive for another run. I can't see it happening as he seems like the public has decided he was to blame for the last Vancouver Council's dysfunction. It's not likely that any of that was his fault but I don't think it will matter ultimately.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 20, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
remember when Bush said Iraq had WMDs

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
It's looking like the BC Liberal party may have pulled an X.com with their rebranding. Despite one of their goals being to separate themselves more clearly from the federal liberals and make it clear that they sit further to the conservative side, it looks like the loss of name recognition may be splitting off the more conservative side and giving the BC Conservatives life.

The BC Liberals were an institution and the assumed governing party for a lot of people in BC. BC United doesn't have the benefit of that, and doing the name switch while they aren't in power has made it really easy to not internalize the fact that this is one party that just changed names.

The BC Liberals didn't have much of a political identity or ideological core, so without branding they seem to have lost a lot

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Stuff about Kennedy Stewart

This largely matches the vibe I got from him when I worked with him. The TMX stuff was big at the time and I remember talking down quite a few refinery workers who were upset about it. It makes my blood boil to know he was getting it from inside the party too. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising but I don't ever think the NDP is the party that I thought it was.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DaysBefore posted:

Maybe if I vote hard enough the bad things will stop and the rules based international order will prevail

You’re such a stupid goon.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Just saying, our government is completely full of poo poo to try and act upset about this.

TheKingofSprings posted:

we shouldn’t be doing those things and other countries shouldn’t be doing them to us maybe

PT6A posted:

I guess it's impossible to say whether that's good or bad, because individual Canadians may have done bad things too at some point.

Maneck posted:

Who honestly expected someone to go on about how cool they are with a fascist, religious supremist foreign government executing their fellow citizens in Canada for saying things that government disagrees with?

I always loved this threads ability to just go hog wild with the "government is disingenuous" to "poster wanted that guy to be killed actually" pipeline.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Vintersorg posted:

You’re such a stupid goon.

True, it's very stupid to put your faith in voting. Just changes the faction of landlords who decide which corporation gets tax break this cycle. Thank you for correcting me :)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There are nationwide rallies today organised by transphobe bigots fyi. Counter-rallies are organised too, here's info on the Maritime ones https://wayves.ca/2023-09-counter-protest and in Ontario https://ofl.ca/event/no-space-for-hate/. Come out and show support goons

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Piquai Souban posted:

I’m in the Poilievre riding and got this (bad) targeted mailing to send him for not being anti-trans enough. No ID on the group behind it. Is that legal or reportable?

https://imgur.com/a/3OWnmlB

Legal to mail stuff to his office and/or home? Yep. His staff might already be aware of it but maybe it will annoy them further.

Legal for someone to make and distribute this hateful trash? Yup. But you might as well report it to local LGBTQ+ orgs and even the cops (for all the good that will do), so it's on their radar at least.

I would definitely pass it on to whatever righties you know; encourage their vote to keep splitting between the tories and pp's!

Or just throw it in the garbage where it belongs

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

True, it's very stupid to put your faith in voting. Just changes the faction of landlords who decide which corporation gets tax break this cycle. Thank you for correcting me :)

No one has to put faith in it or even acknowledge it as a working system to recognize it would be a greater fault to abstain from participating because of such. Enough with the defeatist bullocks, the system is corrupt and inefficient but choosing to not participate accomplishes nothing. If your choice is to abstain so be it but stop thumb waving like it's the logical conclusion.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Voting discourse gets my probing finger nice and lubed up.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

and here I thought CI was the undefeated king of poo poo takes in this here thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I was going to say "I didn't vote for you", but I think I did, actually.

This is the moderation we deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Stewart's statement that Horgan was pretty much "lol who cares" about Vancouver all through the pandemic while things continuously got worse (in many ways, not just related to drugs) makes me wonder if like 20 years+ from now if we'll find out that Horgan's exit was a bit less health related than we think and he was quietly and politely shown the door.