Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Elissimpark posted:

Landgrabber, are you a Jamie Hewlett drawing? I can only imagine you're built like 2D from Gorillaz.

that's... shockingly accurate, yeah.

i have normal sized palms but really long, thin fingers. and i have a short torso and long legs. usually a little bit underweight, eating disorders since childhood plus spending a lot of my life posting and reading theory books for the last three or four years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

general sitting tips not for any specific type. just some stuff to try, you dont have to do all of it at once

1) wear a strap while sitting.. shortened from standing stance
2) elevate one of your feet on a 3-6" footrest, if one doesn't work try the other.
3) try a stool, or at least make sure your chair is armless
4) try to adjust your stance so that you're not propping the gutiar up or down with your fretting hand

ethanol fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 18, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My Flying V forces me to play seated in a classical position. I feel like Andres Segovia Hetfield.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think I might sign up for Rocksmith. I need to gamify this experience due to having hosed up adhd. Anyone use it lately?

I too have ADHD and if modern day Rocksmith is anything like the console/PC version (which can be had easily for free with a fuckton of user made songs) it is not a good learning tool.

They don't really teach fundamentals well, just how to play Rocksmith well. It doesn't understand when hyperfocus is detrimental and when repetition is annoying. It does not adapt well to how you play, just the binary "did you do this exactly correct or not" for every single note, bend, etc. The practice games on the PC version take forever to restart if you lose and it's infuriating as hell.

If Rocksmith exists in an improved form, go for it, just don't pay too much or expect a serious practice/teaching tool.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My Flying V forces me to play seated in a classical position. I feel like Andres Segovia Hetfield.

Classical position for non-classical guitars isn't a bad thing. For me it's the most comfortable way to play - I can keep my hand, wrist, and arm parallel, so less stress and thus less chance of RSI. I couldn't seem to practice more than 10 minutes in rockstar position.

I just wish they did Flying Vs for bolt-on necks, their regular neck is just too darn thin. I loved where the V puts the neck while sitting in classical but alas.

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 18, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I could never get past latency issues in Rocksmith.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

MJP posted:

I just wish they did Flying Vs for bolt-on necks, their regular neck is just too darn thin. I loved where the V puts the neck while sitting in classical but alas.

I think Jackson still does a Rhoads-style with a bolt-neck. Beyond that, Cort & Samick made a bunch of bolt-on Vs under a bunch of brands. Usually pretty cheap, too. There's also stuff like the Dean ML, but Dean is almost a dead company.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The Jackson JS32 series has Rhoads V and a King V and is a great bang-for-the-buck guitar, and is a bolt on V. Thin shreddy neck though.

edit: if you can wait you can usually find one used/returned at like $250 or so at proaudiostar, I've bought two guitars this way and haven't noticed anything wrong with them.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 18, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

landgrabber posted:

that's... shockingly accurate, yeah.

i have normal sized palms but really long, thin fingers. and i have a short torso and long legs. usually a little bit underweight, eating disorders since childhood plus spending a lot of my life posting and reading theory books for the last three or four years

good deal of this might actually just be lovely posture + bdd lol

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

ethanol posted:

general sitting tips not for any specific type. just some stuff to try, you dont have to do all of it at once

1) wear a strap while sitting.. shortened from standing stance
2) elevate one of your feet on a 3-6" footrest, if one doesn't work try the other.
3) try a stool, or at least make sure your chair is armless
4) try to adjust your stance so that you're not propping the gutiar up or down with your fretting hand

I have a freakish gibbon-style arm:body ratio and this stuff is all helpful. also classical position.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

widefault posted:

There's also stuff like the Dean ML, but Dean is almost a dead company.

if the youtube guitar salesdork community was worth half a sorry poo poo, they'd pool their resources together to buy the brand

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

check out this cool guitar part:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/alkaline-trio/san-francisco-tabs-1815705

great alkaline trio song but the verse muting part and how it uses open strings and thirds and stuff is super interesting and gives the song a really distinct sound that's way more exciting than just power chords which is what a lot of people might even assume the song itself uses.

i think he grew up playing piano and the use of thirds to stand in for chords and stuff really shows that.

i want to write parts like that instead of my two modes, "emo chords" and "jazz chords"

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

landgrabber posted:

any advice for playing sitting down? my torso is really short but my arms are really long, i'm kinda monkeylike in that way. i always have to kind of hold my strumming arm up but it gets tired easily

Have you tried playing around with classical position? Either with a footstool or a strap or one of the gizmos they make for holding your guitar up. My strumming arm always rests on the guitar body around the upper forearm/elbow area, so maybe a different guitar shape would work better for you if that's an issue (if I understand you right, anyway).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ColdPie posted:

...a different guitar shape would work better for you...

Gibson accidentally designing the first ergonomic guitar.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ColdPie posted:

Have you tried playing around with classical position? Either with a footstool or a strap or one of the gizmos they make for holding your guitar up. My strumming arm always rests on the guitar body around the upper forearm/elbow area, so maybe a different guitar shape would work better for you if that's an issue (if I understand you right, anyway).

it feels wrong on my left leg. one thing i did realize today is that i was lowering my strap and tilting the guitar to basically be in that position while i play standing -- neck way up in the air.

it kind of stopped me from tensing up as much.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

landgrabber posted:

it feels wrong on my left leg. one thing i did realize today is that i was lowering my strap and tilting the guitar to basically be in that position while i play standing -- neck way up in the air.

Yeah it's a good position! This guy goes into some devices you could try (or try to improvise with what you have on hand), using them all on his right leg (around 6:30):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDFky-U_Agg

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just discovered 3M dual lock for my pedalboard. So much better than regular velcro. I'm going to put this poo poo on everything.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
I just got a new strap and it doesn’t let me bring the neck as high as I’d like. Going to safety pin it

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

I found that the trick was to achieve two factors:

1) Get your 1st fret at eye level
2) Get the back of your hand parallel to your arm and keep it that way as much as you can

Higher footrest, tighter strap, shuffling and futzing the strap into the right spot, and maybe resting the lower bout within your left thigh or on top of your left leg - or even your right leg depending on the guitar - all helped me get to a drastically more comfortable and sustainable wrist position.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

luchadornado posted:

I'm going to put this poo poo on everything.

your balls, even

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I have two Ibanez archtops now and I feel maybe too powerful:

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

I too have ADHD and if modern day Rocksmith is anything like the console/PC version (which can be had easily for free with a fuckton of user made songs) it is not a good learning tool.

They don't really teach fundamentals well, just how to play Rocksmith well. It doesn't understand when hyperfocus is detrimental and when repetition is annoying. It does not adapt well to how you play, just the binary "did you do this exactly correct or not" for every single note, bend, etc. The practice games on the PC version take forever to restart if you lose and it's infuriating as hell.

If Rocksmith exists in an improved form, go for it, just don't pay too much or expect a serious practice/teaching tool.

If you're going to do rocksmith, get the 2014 version on pc rather than the new one. As mentioned, there's a thriving custom dlc community and you get lots of variety.

I'm not as harsh on it as above, but it's definitely better for quantity time with the instrument rather than quality. It's useful for learning how to play in time, exposing you to patterns/song/chords that you wouldn't otherwise see since the catalog is pretty broad, and sometimes for actually learning how to play stuff. The Riff Repeater thing got better in 2014 but still has problems that make it less than ideal as a practice tool.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I have an ibanez semihollow too it's good but I don't play it enough I need to do some nutwork it sitars a bit on the b

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

TheMightyBoops posted:

I have two Ibanez archtops now and I feel maybe too powerful:

Ibanez make some great guitars, nice one.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Re: RS 2014 latency, you also need this https://github.com/mdias/rs_asio patch to get low latency audio

Also mods to fix everything else: https://github.com/Lovrom8/RSMods

The custom loop length mod helps the riff repeater quite a bit

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

hot date tonight! posted:

Re: RS 2014 latency, you also need this https://github.com/mdias/rs_asio patch to get low latency audio

Also mods to fix everything else: https://github.com/Lovrom8/RSMods

The custom loop length mod helps the riff repeater quite a bit

Sick I will give that a try

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Red_Fred posted:

Ibanez make some great guitars, nice one.

I’ve had the full hollow for long enough to say that they’re my favorite guitars minus that the cheap and even midrange archtops have a plastic nut, not that I’ve noticed besides like seeing it’s plastic.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Other than Guitar Center/Sam Ash/local music stores/my state's subreddit, where does one go/post to try and find other instrumentalists to maybe form a Duran Duran cover band? I'd like to play more of their music but it's not really a solo guitar thing. It needs the whole shabang.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’ve had the full hollow for long enough to say that they’re my favorite guitars minus that the cheap and even midrange archtops have a plastic nut, not that I’ve noticed besides like seeing it’s plastic.

I have the cheapest hollow and its like some of the best $150 (used) I've spent on music. super comfortable (this was a surprise), sounds decent w/o an amp for practice, just yeah. Finish is SUPER cheap up close but whatever, plays fine

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

MJP posted:

Other than Guitar Center/Sam Ash/local music stores/my state's subreddit, where does one go/post to try and find other instrumentalists to maybe form a Duran Duran cover band? I'd like to play more of their music but it's not really a solo guitar thing. It needs the whole shabang.

I put my whole band together off Craigslist believe it or not

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
PYF craigslist beefers

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
get yourself an MPC and take the whole haul. most of duran duran is programmed beats no?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

20 Blunts posted:

most of duran duran is programmed beats no?

Perhaps the same could be said of all music; what is music if not a program
:goonsay:

It'd really depend on the keyboard player's ability to multitask but the very Duranie answer is no, not most of it. Vocalist, one guitarist, one bass player, one drummer on actual drums, and one synth/keyboard player. There's definitely a bunch of programmed and sequenced stuff that Nick Rhodes did on every song on every album save for a few, but there's still a lot of live synth playing. Sure, patches got saved to the equipment and computers, so it's not like he's doing everything on Moogs.
Nah, Duran Duran isn't synthpop like the Human League, who I think had a rule stating no guitars were allowed in the band. They ended up breaking the rule but it was a pretty good song to break it on, IMO.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean NIN is also mostly programmed drums on record but Trent hires Ilan Rubin for tours and the guy can fuckin play.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The bassline on Rio is one of the finest ever laid down and I will hear nothing to the contrary :colbert:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
True, John Taylor is an absolutely sick bassist. Girls On Film has a wild bassline too.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

MJP posted:

Open mics, though you may run into mostly songwriters

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Huh, Harley Benton make a Mustang? Think some of Thomann's search or categorization is busted because I should have found that before now. Would prefer a Jaguar body shape but if I want to mod a tron-equipped short scale it might be my best starting place. Honestly if I just threw the rest of the thing away it's probably the most reasonable way to get hold of a short scale neck.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hi guitar nerds, it's been a while. No idea what post the title is referencing but gonna guess LG is still posting? :v:

I've been incredibly sick lately so not really been making a lot of music sadly. And I also really miss my Strat :(

I'm *hoping* to get back into playing again, provided I don't get sick again, but that may well happen lol

I sold my Gibson because I couldn't physically handle the weight at the moment and I don't like things collecting dust, but the Epiphone Prophecy I was going to replace it with apparently doesn't fucken exist here, so I've only had my start Schecter SGR for like a year lmao.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
haha get their rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think Landgrabber is a good poster with interesting things to say, for the record :colbert: Hope they're doing alright, I know it was rough for a while at least.

Y'all nerds are cool, I missed music and y'all :)