Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2023/09/14/a-psychologist-offers-3-tips-to-deal-with-solastalgia

gonna put on my VR goggles to experience the untouched wilderness that was blasted to oblivion to mine the silicon used to produce my VR goggles

[Bad News Biosphere] The Gadgets We Cherish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
*snuggling up to my phone in bed"

I love you

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Maybe we should get the air fryer in here too :grin:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

car honking sadly in the garage 😢

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
i'm doing my part

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
We will kill every pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across garbage piles on the floors of dead seas.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

frozenphil posted:

We will kill every pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across garbage piles on the floors of dead seas.

we're making good (horrible) progress on killing everything

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/19/mutilating-the-tree-of-life-wildlife-loss-accelerating-scientists-warn

quote:

The study, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that at least 73 mammal, bird, reptile and amphibian species groupings have gone extinct since 1500. If trends had followed the average pre-human impact rates of extinction, just two would have been expected to disappear, they estimated. Those lost include the elephant birds of Madagascar, moa from New Zealand and Hawaiian moho honeyeaters.

ok some good news there though. if you're honey you're less likely to get eaten

quote:

Due to habitat destruction, the climate crisis and the illegal trade in wildlife, losses are projected to accelerate in the coming years.

ok but what's the worst case scenario. i need to know the worst case scenario so i know what to put my money on

quote:

In the worst-case scenario – that all currently endangered species groups disappear by the end of the century – the rate would be 354 times above the average for the past million years.

lock it in.

quote:

The authors, Prof Gerardo Ceballos and Prof Paul Ehrlich, have previously found that species are becoming extinct on a scale akin to the event that wiped out the dinosaurs,

hehehehHEHEHHAHAHA :stonklol:

quote:

and warn that the loss is a threat to the persistence of human civilisation.

it's the persistence of human civilisation that got us into this mess :mad:

quote:

Prof Ceballos, of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, who led the research, told the Guardian that the results were worse than he expected,

:siren: worse than expected spotted :siren:

quote:

but

oh??????

quote:

said there was still time to act.

go on

quote:

“As dramatic as the results are, what is important to mention is that we still have time. The window of opportunity is closing rapidly. There is hope but we need to act quickly,” he added.

act quickly by doing what???

quote:

it’s hard to see why global governments, leading businesses and the general public are not doing everything possible to mitigate this devastating loss,” he said.

but "everything possible" includes things that make money sad.

it's not hard to see at all :nallears: it's barely possible to not see it!! you even said it!!! it came out of your own mouth!!!!!

quote:

business

look!!! there it is!!!!!!!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The only thing that would stop it is a massive reduction of our resource usage and there's only one way that we could do that, and we aren't going to do it so...

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

starkebn posted:

The only thing that would stop it is a massive reduction of our resource usage and there's only one way that we could do that, and we aren't going to do it so...

We are. I’m getting my anime villain monologue ready right this second.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

*snuggling up to my phone in bed"

I love you

Microplastics posted:

Maybe we should get the air fryer in here too :grin:

we all know you'd settle for a dutch oven

starkebn posted:

V O T E

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
number of participants in climate action protests in Vancouver was 5k this past weekend.

in 2019 it was like 100k.

not sure what to think about this tbh

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Cold on a Cob posted:

number of participants in climate action protests in Vancouver was 5k this past weekend.

we hit a critical mass of people resigned to climate death

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Red Baron posted:

we hit a critical mass of people resigned to climate death

my thoughts are it's maybe that but also everyone's freaking out about cost of living and don't have time to organize as much as they did in 2019

i picked vancouver in particular b/c it wasn't as hard hit as other places this summer so good place to observe what people do when they see the manmade horrors but aren't currently experiencing them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Microplastics posted:

i'm doing my part

The funniest thing about disastrous, fatal climate change is that there are so many freebies we're not doing because the vibes aren't, like, you know, totally cool

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Red Baron posted:

we hit a critical mass of people excited for climate death

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the crackdown on climate activists continues to ramp up

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/19/protester-who-held-sign-outside-london-climate-trial-prosecuted

and not being allowed to even talk about your motivations for breaking the law (related) is some kangaroo court fascist poo poo

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

The funniest thing about disastrous, fatal climate change is that there are so many freebies we're not doing because the vibes aren't, like, you know, totally cool

us being unable to make changes that are extremely popular really gives me hope about doing things that are extremely unpopular

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Breaking in the last five minutes, Rishi Sunak now probably going to water down a lot of net zero promises such as ban on petrol/diesel cars in 2030, gas boilers in 2025 and other suggestions on efficiency and diet.

How’s that saying go? lol, lmao

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the only way we were ever going to fix climate change is if there was a solution that allowed the rich get richer

even status quo isn't good enough for them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

us being unable to make changes that are extremely popular really gives me hope about doing things that are extremely unpopular

Actually western liberal democracies are very effective at doing things that are extremely unpopular as long as they are very popular with the top 0.1% of rich people

Remote work: no
End the suburbs: no
Poors eat bugs: guessing that's going to be a yes as long as the rich still get steak
Mass death: you know it

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

This is our favorite thing, we love this

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

the crackdown on climate activists continues to ramp up

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/19/protester-who-held-sign-outside-london-climate-trial-prosecuted

and not being allowed to even talk about your motivations for breaking the law (related) is some kangaroo court fascist poo poo

lol she's being jailed for holding up a sign that says the same thing as a sign in the building where she's being jailed

quote:

Warner held up a sign outside Inner London crown court earlier this year spelling out the right of a jury to acquit a defendant on their conscience. She was referring to a famous sign in the Old Bailey celebrating the independence of jurors in the Bushel case in 1670, where a jury refused a judge’s direction to find defendants guilty.

Warner held up a sign in March outside Inner London crown court, where a climate trial was taking place, which read: “Jurors: you have an absolute right to acquit a defendant according to your conscience.”

She was protesting over restrictions on the defendants, imposed by the judge, and prevented them from mentioning climate change, insulation, fuel poverty or their motivations in their defence.

Several people who ignored the judge’s restrictions have been jailed for contempt of court. Amy Pritchard and Giovanna Lewis, who were both jailed for seven weeks after they ignored the judge’s ruling not to mention climate change in their address to the jury, are appealing against their conviction for contempt of court.

Warner was committed to the Old Bailey for contempt of court proceedings, where a high court judge referred the case to Tomlinson, to decide whether to pursue contempt proceedings or charge her with attempting to pervert the course of justice. He wrote to Warner last Thursday to say he had decided to prosecute her for contempt of court.

Old Bailey:

Her Illegal Sign:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
god would i love to do some jury nullification in the right circumstance. never been chosen in my life

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
one of the major reasons i want to be on a jury is so that i can nullify it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

lol she's being jailed for holding up a sign that says the same thing as a sign in the building where she's being jailed

Old Bailey:

Her Illegal Sign:

Clearly different. Her sign says conscience and the plaque says convictions. Shameful really. Nothing to be done.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
only nerds read plaques

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

I’m pretty sure most people have some understanding that millions have died in the last three years and nothing got better or changed at all. they watched their activist acquaintances either get hosed up and destroyed by disease or propaganda. they’ve seen the writing on the wall that there’s no hope in collective action lol.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i wouldn't say hope, but i do think there will be an inflection point right about the time that most boomers have died and the number of voting age zoomers has grown faster than genxers and elder-millenials shift right as they age.

rough eyeball of the numbers says in about 10 - 15 years

everyone who's been paying attention since iraq is fully broken now, but the kids don't even know who don rumsfeld was!

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Sep 19, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2023/09/14/a-psychologist-offers-3-tips-to-deal-with-solastalgia

A person experiencing solastalgia may feel:

* A deep grief over changing landscapes that were once familiar
* Helplessness over the inability to halt or influence environmental shifts
* Chronic stress from ongoing changes, causing symptoms like insomnia
* A diminishing hope for the future as the environment evolves
* A feeling of being disconnected from one’s community or the environment due to rapid alterations

While we can protest the exploitation of natural resources by humans, this is a nuanced issue. We rely on many of these resources for our daily lives, from fueling our homes to producing the gadgets we cherish. Becoming consumed by guilt or anger over humanity’s collective environmental impact may not bring about the broad systemic changes we hope for. Instead, it’s essential to channel these emotions productively.

Understanding our limitations doesn’t mean surrendering to despair. We might not be able to reverse all the damage done, but we can certainly find ways to process our feelings and take action. Here are three practical strategies to mitigate the effects of solastalgia and foster resilience in the face of ecological challenges.

1. Participate In Community Environmental Initiatives
2. Embrace The Healing Potential Of Eco-Art Therapy
3. Try Out Virtual Reality To Experience The Surroundings You Long For

gonna put on my VR goggles to experience the untouched wilderness that was blasted to oblivion to mine the silicon used to produce my VR goggles

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

skooma512 posted:

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”

Is that from The Dog Stars

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Stereotype posted:

that's still Stoicism though. The solution is always to improve yourself so that you can manage your own life within your specific conditions. Accept yourself as you are and the exact nature of world around you in relationship to you, because changing anything at all about it is not just impossible but also would serve no purpose. virtue is sufficient for happiness.

This is only part of stoicism. In de meditationes every fifth sentence is how you have to work hard for your community, do your duty, make a better world.

Rather than accepting the world as is, I'd say it's about recognizing the world as it is, working towards a better one and accepting the world as it is in the moment.

Marcus Aurelius is my friend 🪿

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

500excf type r posted:

Is that from The Dog Stars

It's the last paragraph from The Road by Cormac Mccarthy

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

skooma512 posted:

It's the last paragraph from The Road by Cormac Mccarthy

Ahh thanks that explains it

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

FistEnergy posted:

god would i love to do some jury nullification in the right circumstance. never been chosen in my life

It's fun and cool to do, and been long enough that I can quote myself from the case I served on:

"I totally believe that the defendant had a gun in his pants, but I don't believe that he threw it in the bushes while running from the cops on his way into his house. I also don't think tricking his mom into letting them into the house to search was legit. gently caress this let's go home."

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

tuyop posted:

I’m pretty sure most people have some understanding that millions have died in the last three years and nothing got better or changed at all. they watched their activist acquaintances either get hosed up and destroyed by disease or propaganda. they’ve seen the writing on the wall that there’s no hope in collective action lol.

yeah

i remember when the cops came in on horseback, the teargas, and the makeshift open air prison they built in grant park when we protested the iraq war

everyone’s noticed how many of the new leaders from ferguson “committed suicide” or disappeared

summer of 2020 they ran out of teargas and it was easier to see the same response in every community

when they wanted to kill and take congress hostage no one stopped them

millions died a preventable death because their money needed to keep moving

so much money has nowhere else to go so we all need to pay speculative finance rent

-

collective action is the most powerful force in the world, but folks have been threatened and gaslit for so long they doubt the stakes

imagine meaningful sacrifice

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

2019 I felt like people being upset about a big bad global happening might spur change

didn't feel that way by the end of 2020

wonder why :thunk:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Unless posted:

imagine meaningful sacrifice

Yeah capitalism is a game of prisoners dilemma with a million other people and they’re all hammering the punish button as hard and fast as they can but to make things better you have to cooperate and just lmao

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

this weekend at the marina I was discussing some of the boats there with my uncle. there was this one yacht from chicago with a bunch of very obviously visibly-rich people on it. my uncle mentioned it burned 135 gallons of fuel a hour while operating

the whole trip cost me about 3.5 gallons of fuel, so one single hour of operation on that yacht is the equivalent of 38 weekends of me driving up to my family's cottage, around the region a bit, and then back

it wasn't even a notably big yacht, it's the kind of stuff you'd finance if you were a modest multimillionaire in your 50s and wanted to haul around your blueblood extended family. there were probably half a dozen of that class at that particular marina

reduce! reuse! recycle!

I've been watching my fuel use since this post was made back at the start of July & I've finally done it! 35 minutes driving to work every day, 35 minutes driving home, miscellaneous local trips for things like groceries and a vacation that put a few hundred miles on my car-
All this to achieve 1 millionaire hour of fuel consumption! A mere 11 weeks of effort to match what my social betters do in an hour! Tonight I shall sip a fine brandy and berate the peasants or some such. Huzzah!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

Yeah capitalism is a game of prisoners dilemma with a million other people and they’re all hammering the punish button as hard and fast as they can but to make things better you have to cooperate and just lmao

This is the first time I've seen someone frame it like this, and it makes so much sense.

It's prisoners dilemma with 8 billion people but even if one defects and the other cooperates the detector will eventually still lose because the world is ruined

:rubby:

starkebn has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Prisoner's dilemma isn't exactly right, but it's a starting framework