Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Updates to iOS 17 last night and my alarm went off an hour earlier than usual this morning :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

TACD posted:

Is the new shopping-specific list type busted for everyone? I’m adding random common shopping items (eggs, milk, pasta, etc) and it’s all just going under “Others”. Apparently it’s supposed to auto-categorise things?

It started to work for me after a day of the typical new iOS indexing finished.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Updates to iOS 17 last night and my alarm went off an hour earlier than usual this morning :confused:

Getting up earlier is just the Apple way of doing things OP, it'll all work a lot better if you don't fight it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, stand by seems like it would be nice but it will not go off of Cupertino time. I removed Cupertino from my world clock set up (along with New York) and put cities in my time zone. Nope. I then specifically added a clock widget with current time as its main focus and still did not. I then changed the clock widget to four cities all within central time zone. Still nothing.

I am assuming the -2 on the clock is difference of time from my current set up so it knows where I am at, it just does not want to show it.

You're doing all this on the standby screen, right? Long press the clock so you get the wiggley edit screen, then press the clock widget again and changing the city?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Josh Lyman posted:

5S had the best industrial design imo and I say that as someone who had a 4 (and 4S after I somehow lost my 4?).

I have a 5S that I still use for podcasts and I love it for that. My 3GS was a favorite for the rounded shape alone but I’m not going to try using it regularly.

my real favorite was a Star-Tac

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I really like how photos will try to distinguish separate dogs like it does with people so you can make smart albums of just your pet and not all the other dog photos you have.

Unfortunately two of my family’s huskies are the same colour so my phone doesn’t know how to distinguish them. 😔

It can’t tell the difference between my current black lab and my childhood black lab :colbert:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It can’t tell the difference between my current black lab and my childhood black lab :colbert:
It’s impressive enough that it could tell the difference between the brown husky and the grey huskies, and tracking the same animal from puppy to fifteen year old dog, but I have way more dog photos than photos of my friends so I hope dog facial recognition gets better in the next few years!

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I am curious about two mystery UPS packages that are making their way from China and are already in Louisville, KY.
The UPS tracking says estimated delivery is Friday, but the Apple site doesn't say anything shipped yet.

It would be nice if my phone and watch showed up early.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I installed iOS 17 last night and can't attach anything in messages when I hit the plus button

All the options started working after I tried selecting the Apple Pay option and that successfully launched :confused:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wow the ai dog identifier is racist smh

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Turmoil posted:

I am curious about two mystery UPS packages that are making their way from China and are already in Louisville, KY.
The UPS tracking says estimated delivery is Friday, but the Apple site doesn't say anything shipped yet.

They won’t, we already talked about this.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Is it just me or are shortcuts a tiny bit faster?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Turmoil posted:

The watch and phone are going to hang around in limbo. Apple will excitedly tell you that they shipped when they’re like 2 miles from your house.

If you ordered an accessory like a case with your phone, that could come early.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The charging port on my wife’s 12 pro max stopped working last night. Swept it with a tooth pick and the port was clean. Charges fine via qi though so it’s just the port.

Thankfully I did the month to month Apple care. She needs a battery replacement too and I told her to ask about it but I’m not sure she will remember.

Do they automatically check everything when you take it in?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Got the mulberry wallet & green fine woven case today. The colors are a lot darker in real life and the material feels nice but I’m really curious what it’ll look like a couple years down the line. Especially the wallet as I could take that across several phone generations as long as they don’t drop MagSafe.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s some really interesting stuff here at 4:50 about how the new iPhone can charge other devices — or be charged by them.

https://youtu.be/piYf4gDthjY?si=34viETcIQ-VswshX

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been using my ipad pro as a powerbank for a few years and it is pretty cool. I've even used it to run a raspberry pi for in-the-field shenanigans.

Not really a killer feature everyone will use, especially because the phone battery is so much smaller, but it is a cool gimmick to have available.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dogen posted:

They won’t, we already talked about this.

Yeah, aren’t the packages literally labeled as “do not deliver before <iPhone release date>”?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

mawarannahr posted:

Is it just me or are shortcuts a tiny bit faster?

I feel like everything feels a touch snappier. I’m not sure if it’s optimization or just a change in animation but it’s nice.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand why for Standby you have to choose a city for your clock rather than just showing you the time the phone is already displaying, but bigger.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zwille posted:

Got the mulberry wallet & green fine woven case today. The colors are a lot darker in real life and the material feels nice but I’m really curious what it’ll look like a couple years down the line. Especially the wallet as I could take that across several phone generations as long as they don’t drop MagSafe.

How do you like the fine woven case? I thought about it, but ultimately went with my standard silicon one since it was $10 cheaper.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Does anyone know if you can do a trade in store at Apple instead of mailing it back? I'm being sent a trade in kit but I rather trade in person to avoid any shadiness in the mail.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

glassyalabolas posted:

Does anyone know if you can do a trade in store at Apple instead of mailing it back? I'm being sent a trade in kit but I rather trade in person to avoid any shadiness in the mail.

Yes you can. I did it last year. You can even trade in multiple items, but anything after the first turns into a gift card.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I don't understand why for Standby you have to choose a city for your clock rather than just showing you the time the phone is already displaying, but bigger.

For some reason, they chose to have the default for that mode be one of the City clock widgets. As in the widgets designed to show you the time for a city of your choice. A widget like that has its uses elsewhere, but bizarre to make it the default on a nightstand digital clock mode.

Vegetable posted:

There’s some really interesting stuff here at 4:50 about how the new iPhone can charge other devices — or be charged by them.

https://youtu.be/piYf4gDthjY?si=34viETcIQ-VswshX

They've even had the hardware to do reverse charging since the 12 generation, but it was restricted to charging the official Magsafe power bank when your iPhone was also plugged in by a cable.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 19, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

glassyalabolas posted:

Is it for the AUP?

I've seen mixed answers online. People told it was possible go into the Apple store and the employees there have no idea what to do. One thing I read was that once the kit was issued the store was blocked from taking it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

How do you like the fine woven case? I thought about it, but ultimately went with my standard silicon one since it was $10 cheaper.

It feels more fine - as in cotton, maybe like cotton handkerchiefs - and uhhh slippery than the silicone - but the frame being made of plastic makes it grippier. It’s a very interesting departure for sure and I’d recommend trying it out in store or buying it and returning it if that’s a thing they allow (I seem to remember so). I’m sick of silicone but didn’t want leather again for ethical reasons so I’m happy with having a „luxury“ option again.

The wallet feels slick but as I started putting in cards I realized i need way more than three cards at a time so uhhh. Put in my ID and public transit card, which should cover most bases (maybe try and get my health insurance in there as well and the rest will have to go in a regular wallet still. Eh, should help with situations where Id usually forget my public transit stuff.

E: I slapped the wallet on my naked iPhone 12 Pro to try it out and now I’m debating going naked on the 15 pro lol. It handles so differently like with the swipes from edge gestures etc. Feels much more precise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

lol I’ve told this story in here before but this shadiness happened to me. When Apple got my trade in kit the box had a wire in it. lol

Someone at the ups depot opened the box and took the phone.

Apple sorted it pretty quick and gave me the trade in credit (actually more because they couldn’t verify the phone so they gave the max).

It was pretty easy to tell there was a swap because the weight of the box when I dropped it off at ups was hugely different from what they received and sent back to me lol.

This definitely happens a lot this time of year because the boxes they use are pretty distinct.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

That’s the world clock. There’s a regular ol’ clock-clock in there, too.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm in raw dog crew (no case) and after seeing the reviews, I think the Natural Titanium is by FAR the goat if you're not going with a case. So sexy. It looks awesome and seems to hide fingerprints great too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lots of 15 Pro/15 Pro Max photography testing in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EZ3YkUiwA8

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Broke: Cupertino Time
Woke: Victorville Film Time (VFT)

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My wife forgot her Airpods on a plane yesterday. Find My is still updating it as being at the gate within a few minutes ago. That means it is still being pinged and detected by other iPhones right? It would have a much longer time if it had last detected it there but wasn't still detecting it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My wife forgot her Airpods on a plane yesterday. Find My is still updating it as being at the gate within a few minutes ago. That means it is still being pinged and detected by other iPhones right? It would have a much longer time if it had last detected it there but wasn't still detecting it?

Yes. Someone may have actually turned it in instead of stealing it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Zwille posted:

It feels more fine - as in cotton, maybe like cotton handkerchiefs - and uhhh slippery than the silicone - but the frame being made of plastic makes it grippier. It’s a very interesting departure for sure and I’d recommend trying it out in store or buying it and returning it if that’s a thing they allow (I seem to remember so). I’m sick of silicone but didn’t want leather again for ethical reasons so I’m happy with having a „luxury“ option again.

Does anyone have any recommendations for faux leather cases that don't feel like cheap plastic? I' loving the look of the Bellroy and Nomad cases, but haven't found anything with a similar look that isn't made of real leather. For now i'm trying an Apple silicone case

Edit: So far this is the closest thing i've found, it's dumb that it says 'Journey' on the bottom but otherwise looks alright: https://journeyofficial.com/product...NWtzS7tUDfszgxI

frogbs fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 19, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sounds like it. She should contact whatever airline uses that gate to see what can be done.

I was at Disney last week and some dude left his iPad on the Mears shuttle from the airport to the resort. Never found out what happened. Probably SOL.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My wife lost her iPhone on the Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland in June and we got it back in like 2 hours

Find my let me know it had moved to the lost and found before lost and found called us

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Yes. Someone may have actually turned it in instead of stealing it.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Sounds like it. She should contact whatever airline uses that gate to see what can be done.

I was at Disney last week and some dude left his iPad on the Mears shuttle from the airport to the resort. Never found out what happened. Probably SOL.

Thank you! We already filled out a form with Alaska. Hopefully we can get them back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dogen posted:

My wife lost her iPhone on the Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland in June and we got it back in like 2 hours

Find my let me know it had moved to the lost and found before lost and found called us

This summer at Cedar Point for me:

Wow, dodged a bullet and used lost mode for the first time. My phone fell out of my pocket while on a roller coaster today. It was one that went partially over water so I chalked it up as toast and accepted my fate of spending $1000 a couple months before new phones. My wife enabled lost mode on it, and within the hour, someone found it, turned it into the park employees at the ride, and I got it back shortly after when I got a notification that it was found. My case is shredded in one corner so it definitely took a gnarly fall, but the phone is still perfectly intact.

Super loving lucky.

Yay for not everyone being a lovely person!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

frogbs posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for faux leather cases that don't feel like cheap plastic? I' loving the look of the Bellroy and Nomad cases, but haven't found anything with a similar look that isn't made of real leather. For now i'm trying an Apple silicone case

Edit: So far this is the closest thing i've found, it's dumb that it says 'Journey' on the bottom but otherwise looks alright: https://journeyofficial.com/product...NWtzS7tUDfszgxI

Bullstrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Thank you! We already filled out a form with Alaska. Hopefully we can get them back.

Out of curiosity, which airport is it?