Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1704141097226711518?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w5nfXJy3hs

Bubba facecamping fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

What did they do with Bubba? Can't watch the vid atm.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Bubba can't hit survivors with endurance twice within 0.5 seconds.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sokani posted:

Bubba can't hit survivors with endurance twice within 0.5 seconds.

Oh nice, that sounds pretty good.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

He had a pallet right there!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

He had a pallet right there!

Yeah it might not have been the best example for me to record since it was a bot. I did it in the basement before I recorded and I got the survivor before they got to the top of the stairs, easily.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/LeesGamingYT/status/1704179090385682889?s=20

Huntress mains eating well on PTB.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Good huntress change but I did like the original because it made her seem like she was wiggling her fingers and licking her lips like a small portly child trying to decide which delicious treat he wants from the table at the confectionery.

"Oh that handle is ever so strong but my the sharpness of that blade is so magnificent..."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Watching Otz play new Skull Merchant, and looks like the nerf just razed her to the loving ground.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Watching Otz play new Skull Merchant, and looks like the nerf just razed her to the loving ground.

In her defense, Otz is flat out saying he has no idea how to play her now. It does seem really complicated understanding how her drones work now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

In her defense, Otz is flat out saying he has no idea how to play her now. It does seem really complicated understanding how her drones work now.

Yeah but it feels less like Otz not understanding something and more like SM's power just seeming so useless that he feels like he must be missing the parts that make it work somehow. And I don't think there's anything. They just designed a killer that's only good at one type of gameplay, and that gameplay is very unfun to play against, and none of their game designers or supposed internal testers ever figured this out, so in an effort to make it fun to play against, they just nerfed her power to the loving ground.

Like loving lol at a killer who's entire power is deploying area scanners, and then you can just literally sit on a gen in the scanner's radius and not get detected because Behaviour couldn't think of any other way to balance this poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 19, 2023

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Nemesis' zombies are more effective at monitoring generators than Skull Merchant drones.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm glad to hear thar Skull Merchant had been brought to the dizzying heights of Trapper on the tier list.

I didn't really think about the fact that if you sit still on a Gen it doesn't build meter, meaning that there is basically no reason to actually disable the drones.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/EvilDeadTheGame/status/1704239249761906859?t=RufQTrfA8Y2q7g_AMxawrw&s=19

Unsurprising but sucks for the players

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A shame but, yeah, not unsurprising. Had the problem with VHS where playing Demon/Monster was such a chore for newbies that if you wanted to do anything the players on the other side had to go out of their way to play dumb and the developers never seemed to get it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I tried playing it a few times and it really was just utterly demoralizing to play the Demon. Survivors that knew what they were doing could chain fully iframed execution animations on your units and be untouchable.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dawgstar posted:

A shame but, yeah, not unsurprising. Had the problem with VHS where playing Demon/Monster was such a chore for newbies that if you wanted to do anything the players on the other side had to go out of their way to play dumb and the developers never seemed to get it.

Exactly whats happening to TCM too. No one currently wants to play leatherface, because he just gets bullied.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A conga line of goofs thinking that if the HORROR ELEMENT in their HORROR GAME is too mean that people might not want to play, wondering why people don't want to play when dressing up as a monstrous serial killer is just a prelude to putting in more effort to perform worse.

DbD gets by on size and inertia and even they have the sense to throw killer players a bone consistently, nerf survivor bullshit(mostly) and to tip balance with things like the universal killer buff last year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Doomykins posted:

A conga line of goofs thinking that if the HORROR ELEMENT in their HORROR GAME is too mean that people might not want to play, wondering why people don't want to play when dressing up as a monstrous serial killer is just a prelude to putting in more effort to perform worse.

DbD gets by on size and inertia and even they have the sense to throw killer players a bone consistently, nerf survivor bullshit(mostly) and to tip balance with things like the universal killer buff last year.

I'm back to the point of getting angry at the game. I took a break around January and recently started again. It seems MMR is back to a lovely level, I'm getting matched with crazy good survivors. I had a Plague match today where I not only didn't get a single hook, I didn't get a single HIT. All 4 were clearly a SWF, running Made For This (which can I tell you sucks when you're Plague). At 2 gens left I just gave up and AFK'd.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'd be interested to know how many people who play a lot of DBD also play other horror games. When you die in other horror media it is a failure state but it's also basically what you are there for. If you get jumpscared in FNAF or a Necromorph gores you in Dead Space then you lost but the game would be less fun if it didn't happen a lot. Once you start thinking of horror media less of something than you experience and more something that has to be consistently won it changes everything about it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also why Friday the 13th felt like a much more chill game. Half the fun of playing the teenagers was all the hilarious ways Jason could rip you to bits, and most people seemed to accept that escaping was a bonus, not the experience

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
A lot of these newer devs probably at least in part base their game balanced around DBD and the feedback around it... unfortunately a lot of which is whining about how 'broken' killers are because a disproportionate part of the player base is Survivor-only. So new games implement similar gameplay except the Survivors get to fight back and almost all these devs miss that Survivors have traditionally been the Strong Side in Dead By Daylight since almost the dawn of the game, and giving the Survivors tools to make the Killer's life actively miserable base-kit just leads to a lot of games where the killer-side barely feels like they get to play the game once a meta shakes out and the average Survivor starts learning ways to kick the Killers in the genitals.

Like, part of the reason why DbD still worked even in the darkest eras (Dead Hard + Circle of Healing meta) is that Survivors still have to play the game- they don't have unlimited ways of generating iFrames or stunlocking the killer. They generally get one shot to use 'em in an outplay then otherwise need to run, and the killer gets to chase. Even if weaker killers who are only going to catch the survivors a few times and probably end the average match with 0-1 sacrifices still get to spend the majority of the game at least FEELING like the survivors have to respect them and let you play the monster. I did not get that feeling with Evil Dead, I did not get that feeling with VHS, and I haven't played TCM but it sounds like you don't need to do that in TCM either. Who the gently caress wants to play the 'power' role in the game when the 'weak' role gets to bully them so mercilessly?

Orv
May 4, 2011
We’ve got around 20 years of video game history now that show that asymmetrical PvP games are never going to be anything more than niche propositions. DbD is probably carried to its general peak above those other games by its properties.

We’ve also seen similar things to the DbD-hangers-on situation with stuff like MOBAs, survival games and even RTSes where so few of the following entries in these genres are actually widely played/adopted because they’re just not as strong as early ones. Even with huge problems in the original game, it’s rarely worth it to migrate to an entirely new system, especially in the age of hard account progression.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mr. Locke posted:

A lot of these newer devs probably at least in part base their game balanced around DBD and the feedback around it... unfortunately a lot of which is whining about how 'broken' killers are because a disproportionate part of the player base is Survivor-only. So new games implement similar gameplay except the Survivors get to fight back and almost all these devs miss that Survivors have traditionally been the Strong Side in Dead By Daylight since almost the dawn of the game, and giving the Survivors tools to make the Killer's life actively miserable base-kit just leads to a lot of games where the killer-side barely feels like they get to play the game once a meta shakes out and the average Survivor starts learning ways to kick the Killers in the genitals.

Like, part of the reason why DbD still worked even in the darkest eras (Dead Hard + Circle of Healing meta) is that Survivors still have to play the game- they don't have unlimited ways of generating iFrames or stunlocking the killer. They generally get one shot to use 'em in an outplay then otherwise need to run, and the killer gets to chase. Even if weaker killers who are only going to catch the survivors a few times and probably end the average match with 0-1 sacrifices still get to spend the majority of the game at least FEELING like the survivors have to respect them and let you play the monster. I did not get that feeling with Evil Dead, I did not get that feeling with VHS, and I haven't played TCM but it sounds like you don't need to do that in TCM either. Who the gently caress wants to play the 'power' role in the game when the 'weak' role gets to bully them so mercilessly?

if you think Dead Hard + Circle of Healing was the darkest era I gotta ask how long you've been playing lol. When Decisive Strike was still busted, New Part as busted, etc there are so many times when Survivors had something degen to leverage.

For the record I think that survivors being the power role is overblown and only happens at the highest, tippy top of MMR. Majority of the time survivors make too many mistakes, or the killer player themselves made too many poor decisions that at least two survivors were able to take advantage of. Mental is also a big part and sometimes someone just gives up when they probably could have gotten a kill or two if they stuck it through or kept their cool instead of tilting out of their mind and making more mistakes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suspect some of the frustration is that many of the survivor tools either let them passively elude you, complete their objectives before you can move into the area and interact with them (by violence), or have allowed some kind of 'strike back'. I suspect if there were more abilities which had some kind of one-shot escape factor to them, they would be less frustrating, because the survivor is still doing what they're "supposed" to be doing (fleeing the killer).

Orv
May 4, 2011
Playing around survivor abilities that can actively impede the killer is good, it’s just that occasionally you get some big brain ideas like “What if everyone could stun the killer fifteen times a game?” during the peak of DS.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I liked playing Demon in Evil Dead, but I only played a little bit before deciding to stop because my PC was technically at or below min spec (rip) and after I finally upgraded I tried queuing as Demon but didn't get a game after 30 min, while queuing as the other side (which I didn't actually want to play) got me into a lobby instantly so I dunno that lack of Demon players was the issue there. Also having to boot Epic is a pain lol.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orv posted:

Playing around survivor abilities that can actively impede the killer is good, it’s just that occasionally you get some big brain ideas like “What if everyone could stun the killer fifteen times a game?” during the peak of DS.

A lot of those kinds of stun attacks generally are supposed to be gated around being hard to pull off but when a game is years old everyone has learned to do it consistently and there's no longer any barrier on its use.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'll have you know l missed countless decisive strike skill checks

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

DeathChicken posted:

Also why Friday the 13th felt like a much more chill game. Half the fun of playing the teenagers was all the hilarious ways Jason could rip you to bits, and most people seemed to accept that escaping was a bonus, not the experience

Yeah but even in that game there would be stunning bully squads trying to kill you. I would always cheap out and kill any female counselor to ruin that poo poo for them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

And it's funny that despite all my whining in the thread about how killers need to stay oppressive that is an example of how it backfires because getting constantly one-shot by Jason frustrated me enough to stop playing. I felt like death was inevitable without a way to avoid it so I might as well just stand still and take it. Obviously that isn't true, but find that sweet spot where you *could* get away, to a point where you feel that you have some agency, but probably won't is very hard.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

So how on earth are you meant to play Skull Merchant now? The drones are completely useless for guarding gens and using them in chase is... difficult at best.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I think a big part of this is pure numbers. The smaller games can't afford to piss off a lot of the player base, and a lot of pro-killer changes get 4/5 of the playerbase upset.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Relyssa posted:

So how on earth are you meant to play Skull Merchant now? The drones are completely useless for guarding gens and using them in chase is... difficult at best.

My rough read of the patch notes is that you set up zones the survivors have to path through while being chased and you act like a regular m1 115 with loads of benefits.

Move speed when people are tagged, people being injured, tagged, broken and KI'd mid chase, people wasting time ala Pig Hats sneaking up on drones to shut them down.

Set stealthy drones in areas you want to pressure and aren't near, slam down loud drones when you know you're about to get loud and run somebody down through that house or jungle gym. Using them mid chase seems fine, they removed the slowdown on deploy and checking scanner I think, this isn't a Trapper "I'm giving up distance but shutting down this loop", it seems a stronger "loop me through here, I dare you" with no or little showdown.

I don't really see the problem with the drones not shutting down gens being worked on. Virtually no killer has actual map wide strong pressure. I think Pinhead and Nemesis are the only hard blockers. Artist is close though I'd say she's technically soft map pressure unless they try to face tank birds, Nurse is so efficient she breaks the game, Spirit and Blight(and Freddy, etc) are so mobile they can be close to that efficient. An "ignored" drone on a gen should punish people when they scatter as you approach, ideally if you slam it to loud when your TR is just transitioning from medium to close. I don't think a drone should be set down as "no survivors allowed!" Hell, Trapper can actually do that and it doesn't make him great. I see Drone zones as more of a Pyramid Head trail or Plague object infection thing: great at control and some zoning, diminished results if you're on the opposite end of the map, as it should be.

Now... is this effective? Dunno! Educated guessing.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I think a big part of this is pure numbers. The smaller games can't afford to piss off a lot of the player base, and a lot of pro-killer changes get 4/5 of the playerbase upset.

But these survivor favoring games still died. I think it's a case of the 4/5 will howl but keep playing vs the game quietly dying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doomykins posted:

But these survivor favoring games still died. I think it's a case of the 4/5 will howl but keep playing vs the game quietly dying.

Part of it is probably the big content creators making - because they need to game the YouTube algorithm - title cards like "This killer is BROKEN!!" and survivor players going 'well it must be true' and not want anything to do with said killer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

New Skull Merchant is going to play a lot like Artist. Key use of her power is shutting down loops, but she can be a lot more proactive about it than Artist can. You can't loop the Merchant when a drone is up because after 3 pings from her radar, you're injured and broken, and after that any ping slows you down so you're hosed. I think some people will be able to use that to their advantage big time, but she's still way too complicated for most players.

The big thing about her broken status is there's no way to get rid of it other than waiting for the claw trap batteries to drain. They were smart and nuked the add on that destroys pallets when you vault them wearing a claw trap, that could have been brutal with the changes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Part of it is probably the big content creators making - because they need to game the YouTube algorithm - title cards like "This killer is BROKEN!!" and survivor players going 'well it must be true' and not want anything to do with said killer.

It's also a problem for streaming when people are doing SWF-style team-ups, because if it's possible for someone to die quickly then that streamer has to sit around for 15 minutes while they wait for everyone else to finish the match. 0Ks (or a kill with open gates) is the only way to ensure that streamers don't have a lot of downtime.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's also a problem for streaming when people are doing SWF-style team-ups, because if it's possible for someone to die quickly then that streamer has to sit around for 15 minutes while they wait for everyone else to finish the match. 0Ks (or a kill with open gates) is the only way to ensure that streamers don't have a lot of downtime.

Most streamers I watch don't do SWF. I generally watch them only doing killer because that's what I play 90% of the time, but when they do survivor they are rarely with other people, or maybe just one.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

They were smart and nuked the add on that destroys pallets when you vault them wearing a claw trap, that could have been brutal with the changes.

That was base kit, not an add-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

That was base kit, not an add-on.

Oh that's right, it was an add on on the PTB but they made it base kit for launch.