Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I refuse to believe that human beings and their offshoots like the votanns in their migrations to outer space wouldve ever done something as rational as 'bring your cattle with you' to feed themselves on new planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

When the Votann left, they could have brought cattle STC and fabricated them from local materials.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Al-Saqr posted:

I refuse to believe that human beings and their offshoots like the votanns in their migrations to outer space wouldve ever done something as rational as 'bring your cattle with you' to feed themselves on new planets.

we know they brought dogs but mostly we get references to “grox,” “simivulpa” etc. in the HH one general has a pet thylacine, an extinct earth mammal, that was resurrected Jurassic park style and it’s a status symbol.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

we know they brought dogs but mostly we get references to “grox,” “simivulpa” etc. in the HH one general has a pet thylacine, an extinct earth mammal, that was resurrected Jurassic park style and it’s a status symbol.

Thank you for reminding me of Calgar's old pet dinosaurs that he used as writing desks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just taking a huge poo poo my pet dinos.

Kitchner posted:

I've not really looked too closely at the models though so maybe I just have some sort of animal blindness.

I had to go back and check my memory because I hate the models and haven't looked at them much lol

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Thank you for reminding me of Calgar's old pet dinosaurs that he used as writing desks.

not pets, taxidermied Tyranid warriors. to make sure everyone entering the office bathroom knows he's super hardcore, you see

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I shoulda asked this before I built them, but for the unit models they're supposed to show the weapons they have equipped right?

I was building my set of novitiates yesterday, and I gave one of them the heavy flamer because I wanted to have that in the unit. But for the other ones I had a choice between the cool kill team weapons, a sword and a small gun or a rifle. The unit rules in the index seems to indicate that they've all got a melee weapon, a pistol, and a rifle by default, but I couldn't really set the unit up to display that. I put a mix between swords and smaller guns and bigger rifles in addition to the flamer, but does that inadvertently affect the attacks they can make?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man I shoulda asked this before I built them, but for the unit models they're supposed to show the weapons they have equipped right?

I was building my set of novitiates yesterday, and I gave one of them the heavy flamer because I wanted to have that in the unit. But for the other ones I had a choice between the cool kill team weapons, a sword and a small gun or a rifle. The unit rules in the index seems to indicate that they've all got a melee weapon, a pistol, and a rifle by default, but I couldn't really set the unit up to display that. I put a mix between swords and smaller guns and bigger rifles in addition to the flamer, but does that inadvertently affect the attacks they can make?

It's ok build what you think is cool, if you want them to have specific weapons equipped in the game just make it clear to the person you're playing with.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
WYSIWYG only truly matters if you're playing in a tournament. In a friendly match you can just say all your Novitiates are holding swords or whatever. Properly representing your army's gear is important when you're on your 8th hour of Warhammer for the day at a tournament and you can't remember if that Sister holding a Heavy Flamer actually can't shoot but the Sister with the whip actually has a Meltagun.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ah ok, good to know!

Since the heavy flamer was optional equipment I figured it was good to have that on one of them if I wanted to use it (plus it looks cool), but I ultimately decided against the cool whips and the one that could dual wield some sweet crossbows since they couldn't use it in the actual game. I'll keep that in mind for future builds since I'm probably not attending formal tournaments yet :hmmyes:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

lol wow, they really should not be attempting to portray space marines in any stance other than standing on a Heroic Rock or surrounded by Orks in a Pile Of Shooting Dudes. Those proportions are just comedic. Would love to see the MSPaint body outline for this one and the comedy that ensues.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think dudes in the 80s were that pressed for anatomically correct proportions versus Cool Vibes

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ah ok, good to know!

Since the heavy flamer was optional equipment I figured it was good to have that on one of them if I wanted to use it (plus it looks cool), but I ultimately decided against the cool whips and the one that could dual wield some sweet crossbows since they couldn't use it in the actual game. I'll keep that in mind for future builds since I'm probably not attending formal tournaments yet :hmmyes:

The Novitiates are kind of a special case because they are dual use with Kill Team, where each model does have it's own specific gear, so they come with tons of options to make all the different Kill Team variants and options. In regular 40k they are basically limited to 'autogun' or 'pistol and sword', with the option for (I think) two of them to have flamers instead - the box only gives you one iirc. I would not expect anyone to care if you built some with Kill Team loadouts because those are not actually 40k options so there's no real possible confusion that they might actually have the equipment. You would just need to make it clear if they're actually using autoguns or pistols and swords and which, if any, have the flamers.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Big johnny five aces energy

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

bird food bathtub posted:

lol wow, they really should not be attempting to portray space marines in any stance other than standing on a Heroic Rock or surrounded by Orks in a Pile Of Shooting Dudes. Those proportions are just comedic. Would love to see the MSPaint body outline for this one and the comedy that ensues.

:confused:

What do you mean? Looks accurate to me

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

bird food bathtub posted:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I laughed at loud at the space stag headpiece, just thinking about the many implications it implies.

Do the Leagues have roaming space stags? Did stags survive to the 42nd millennium and are now wide spread across the stars? Was there one League supercomputer that had a .jpg of a stag and went "this looks cool" :corsair:

I like this. Ships in 40K are so big, Elk are like rats. Elk in the walls, just elk everywhere.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Kitchner posted:

Thought it was the first "real" animal, thought the rest were all like mythic creatures or stylised designs.

I've not really looked too closely at the models though so maybe I just have some sort of animal blindness.

Pretty sure the three crest options in the warrior squad are a boar, a wolf, and a bull.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

finished my Neurotyrant! what do you guys think?

crossposted from painting

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

He looks very smart!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:confused:

What do you mean? Looks accurate to me

God drat the Perry brothers are great. Michael got half his right arm blown off by a cannon doing historical reenactment and just learned to sculpt with his left.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

God drat the Perry brothers are great. Michael got half his right arm blown off by a cannon doing historical reenactment and just learned to sculpt with his left.

Lol holy poo poo they were using real cannons?!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I was in SCA, then did Civil War reenactment once and I feel like I was always on the edge of death or dismemberment. We were definitely firing blackpowder rifles and cannon with powder but no rounds.

LARPing in the mid-'90s was also pretty wild.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Al-Saqr posted:

There aren't really fake cannons that can be fired, those are just... cannons. One doesn't use actual ammunition, just powder, but powder can gently caress you up anyway especially if you're really close to it. I don't know the exact story behind the Perry injury of course, so maybe they were actually shooting at targets but even without shot, you can get hosed up.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Due to one over-enthusiastic first time English Civil War re-enactor firing a black powder musket into my dad's face as he was scaling an earthen rampart, my dad's now minus one eyeball.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

wtf why don't they just pretend to shoot guns and cannons by yelling "bang! bang!" and "fireball! fireball!" like LARPers do

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

wtf why don't they just pretend to shoot guns and cannons by yelling "bang! bang!" and "fireball! fireball!" like LARPers do

I got shot in the chest by a crossbow bolt tipped with 2-3" of foam from like 15 feet away at a NERO LARP in '94 and it drat near broke my ribs.

No "bang bang" for us.

EDIT: Loved having my friends shout "it was only 1 Silver! It didn't penetrate your armor!" at me as I was struggling to breathe.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Having done some of this type of LARP as well, trust me when I say it is just as dangerous.

A quick LARP story off the top of my head I got from a veteran, was when a gaggle of French LARPers joined for a season in the late 80's.

They brought with them and constructed, a working trebuchet.

Security had to explain to them (through a difficult language barrier), they couldn't use actual rocks.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 19, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I clearly underestimated the potential for LARP related injury and mishap but you guys aren't out there losing eyeballs and limbs.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I clearly underestimated the potential for LARP related injury and mishap but you guys aren't out there losing eyeballs and limbs.

I'm not wanting to derail the 40k thread with LARP gore stories, so guess PM if you want more graphic stuff :v:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:negative:

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass.

LARP safe.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Al-Saqr posted:

Not only that, their first model back was the Green Knight:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

moths posted:

Not only that, their first model back was the Green Knight:

drat, what a beauty

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I met the Perry bros at Games Day 2005 (blast from the past!) and idk if Michael ever got a better prosthetic but at the time he was using this extremely cool robot-arm clamp hand thing. He could still use the arm for sculpting, not in actually sculpting detail but to hold the model steady in a clamp while he worked on it with his left.

e: what happened iirc was he was “reloading” the cannon and the powder went off while his arm was in front of it

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 19, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, cannon typically have a whole team of people who operate them and one job in particular is the sponger, who takes a wet sponge to the inside of the cannon to smother any still active embers from the previous shot. If you do not do this when you add more powder it can ignite with typically disastrous consequences.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

AndyElusive posted:

I knew a guy who almost lost an eye in the SCA. They were shooting arrows at close range; if you're not familiar, LARP and SCA use shafts with a big blob or foam or something like a ball on the end so it can't murder anyone. What was less predicted was that if you fired this at close range, the arrow would bounce back off the foam/ball, and while not lethal you don't need a lot of force to damage an eye. So his shot bounced back, and the shaft and fletching was skinny enough to get through his mask (which the foam is too big to penetrate) and give his eyeball a good jab. He did keep the eye though.

This was a long time ago, SCA standards now require that you have something on the back end (either a block or rigid fletching) that prevent this from happening.

Overall it's just hard to imitate combat without actually risking people damage! I'm sure a bunch of people who did SCA heavy combat have ended up with some kind of concussion like football players.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

That all makes sense to me, worst injury I ever got in the army was from an explosive used to simulate an artillery barrage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Used to shoot black powder rifles and 24lber cannons as a historical tour guide. We used a 1lb powder charge and that poo poo can still spray burning shards of poo poo at you from a good length despite having no projectile. No larp stuff just basically shooting blanks. In our case out of the real historical arsenal from the 1860s, meticulously preserved.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not to mention blanks are still incredibly lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man.. the exorcist looks so cool :allears:

The little dude isn't glued in because that seems like a nightmare to paint until everything else is painted and she's done as well lol