Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CitizenKeen posted:

I got the money cards for Shikkoku instead of paper money. Are chips that much better?

The money cards look very usable, but one of the big boons of chips is being able to eyeball another player's or company's stacks and get a quick idea of the situation. Not sure the card money will work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bottom Liner posted:

The money cards look very usable, but one of the big boons of chips is being able to eyeball another player's or company's stacks and get a quick idea of the situation. Not sure the card money will work as well.

Poker chips are just more fun to play with, at least in games with open money. (Grrr, looking at you, Power Grid, and how many times I've thought I had another turn.)

Edit: WA, US -- what's a good source for 1.5mm or 2mm cardboard for DIY game components? I would only need maybe two pieces of 8.5x11 material, so no need to order a stack of 25 from whomever. Any help appreciated.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 19, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I have a friend who brings one of those fidget cubes to games after he looked at the stack of chips he was playing with and had to work out if it was personal or company money.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

PopZeus posted:

Are there other games that have a final scoring twist like High Society? Specifically, that the player with the least money at the end is disqualified from winning regardless of their VPs. There’s such interesting tension in trying to spend to get the most points while not spending TOO much lest you just lose the whole game.

Maybe not quite what you mean, but Mare Nostrum Empires has a lot of win conditions, some of which can occur unexpectedly

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Code of 9 and Argent: the Consortium have you working out what the scoring is during the game.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I like how Between Two Cities and Between Two Castles are scored.
In both of these games you don't work on your own city or castle, but on two of them at once together with your direct neighbours. Your final score is the lower scoring of the two cities/castles.
It really forces you to make some tough choices at times since you can't just focus on one city or castle.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

PopZeus posted:

Are there other games that have a final scoring twist like High Society? Specifically, that the player with the least money at the end is disqualified from winning regardless of their VPs. There’s such interesting tension in trying to spend to get the most points while not spending TOO much lest you just lose the whole game.

Last week, I got Fit to Print in, and played it over the weekend. In the game, you are trying to create a newspaper by drawing and placing articles, photos, and ads, real-time Galaxy Trucker style. While you get victory points from articles and photos, advertisements only give your newspaper revenue. At the end of three rounds, however, if there is a singular player who has the least newspaper revenue, they are disqualified from winning, regardless of their victory point total. When we played, my friend got so mad when she realized that she was one dollar short from tying for last in revenue, and so could not win despite having eleven more points than any other player. Good times.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Would lightly taking sandpaper to glossy sleeves make them stick together less or just scratch the poo poo out of them and accomplish nothing?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pvt. Parts posted:

Would lightly taking sandpaper to glossy sleeves make them stick together less or just scratch the poo poo out of them and accomplish nothing?

Latter.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Played a game of High Society the other day where everyone ended with 2 cards but out of five players, four had the same value of money remaining and were all disqualified. The final person, who had a negative total at this point due to getting penalty cards, won by having 1k more than the others. A++ love that game

hahaha, brilliant! I do quite enjoy High Society, for scenarios like this. I've done a less good (i.e. not QUITE down to the negatives, heh) version of the win you mentioned, which is always good - but drat, that can't be topped! Excellent :D
Kinda reminds me of the bidding battles in the Dune board game, in a way? Where you can just grind people down and win despite having zero right to do so, on paper. I haven't gotten a chance to play Condottieri yet, but hopefully you can more-or-less do the same thing

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pvt. Parts posted:

You want matte backs friendo, you're just going to scuff the crap out of them and maybe open holes.
Glossy sleeves are slippery nonsense and only worth it for smaller decks.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I put Sail in matte Gamegenic sleeves because I noticed some of the cards having marks after only a few games. My first time using matte and I kinda hate how it ever so slightly dulls the fantastic colors of the game and cards. I might actually switch to glossy.

Are there sleeves with a glossy front but matte backs for these situations?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Radioactive Toy posted:

Of course

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
gamegenic and dragon shield both offer that clear fronts and matte backs.

https://gamersguildaz.com/products/dragon-shield-sleeves-standard-matte-clear100-ct

huge recommend for these, I sleeve anything that's going to get serious shuffle time in them. they don't slip around on the table, either!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Radioactive Toy posted:

I put Sail in matte Gamegenic sleeves because I noticed some of the cards having marks after only a few games. My first time using matte and I kinda hate how it ever so slightly dulls the fantastic colors of the game and cards. I might actually switch to glossy.

Impermanent posted:

gamegenic and dragon shield both offer that clear fronts and matte backs.

https://gamersguildaz.com/products/dragon-shield-sleeves-standard-matte-clear100-ct

huge recommend for these, I sleeve anything that's going to get serious shuffle time in them. they don't slip around on the table, either!

I love Dragon Shields, but one thing to keep in mind: Those cards are apparently 58x87. Dragon Shields are 63x88 or so. So they would fit but that slack of extra headroom may or may not be an issue.

Card and sleeveing info can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/377470/sail/sleeves

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Magnetic North posted:

I love Dragon Shields, but one thing to keep in mind: Those cards are apparently 58x87. Dragon Shields are 63x88 or so. So they would fit but that slack of extra headroom may or may not be an issue.

Card and sleeveing info can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/377470/sail/sleeves

Yep I pretty extensively went through the BGG list to find sleeves that closely matched the card size and were matte, which unfortunately there were only a few options.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bottom Liner posted:

the stacks of money with a band around them are definitely not cardboard
I was making a joke about rare CCG cards being cardboard money. :ssh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Apparently Gamefound is making a special edition of Food Chain Magnate with actual art (and some other bits and pieces, minis, tokens, etc)

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3157250/food-chain-magnate-special-edition-coming-gamefoun

No idea if it'll still be as clean and easy to read, but I'm intrigued.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's hideous and worse in every way. The house minis fully hiding the demand tokens from one side is incredible. The city tiles being a desert is baffling. Late game board states will be a complete mess of component dump.

girl dick energy posted:

I was making a joke about rare CCG cards being cardboard money. :ssh:

That's just a more roundabout way to get to the same joke the game is making with the stacks of paper money :ssh:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 21, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
FCM taking a bold page out of the strategy book of Sheriff of Nottingham 2nd Edition where the new version is drastically uglier. That's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off.

I am not typically an old edition contrarian, though on the same day I saw this I also saw that Yokohama is getting reprinted by Synapse Games. I do really like the new illustrations with the buildings and the canals and all that. I'm less sold on the graphic design. BGG Image Things like changing from white to black numbers, the potentially uncolorblind-friendly green-orange-red. It feels like they're laboring to make it language independent, which I suppose is fine for a game like this. Double-layer boards are kinda swish but I literally don't see the point for them in this game, and here's hoping they don't have any production issues.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I recreated that hideous yellow tile look in 1 click in photoshop :lol:

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Bottom Liner posted:

I recreated that hideous yellow tile look in 1 click in photoshop :lol:

It makes perfect sense that a deluxe Splotter would have worse graphic design.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The deluxe version of Bus was much better tha. The original.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Not since cash and guns has a reboot looked so ugly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The CEO of FryxGames using an overtly racist dog whistle* in his interview defending the use of AI art for TfM led me on a quick tour of their employees facebook feeds to find a whole bunch of white supremacist bullshit from all of them, including and especially the artist, ceo, and designer (3 brothers, from what I can tell). Not the most surprising thing from a western European family with 16 loving kids, but uh, might wanna add that to the list of why TfM is hot garbage.

quote:

We have paid tens of thousands of dollars to have those illustrations made. And not even by some East European illustrator or Asian illustrator, but actually by Western—someone living in the Western world will be doing all the illustrations

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yikes.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

The CEO of FryxGames using an overtly racist dog whistle* in his interview defending the use of AI art for TfM led me on a quick tour of their employees facebook feeds to find a whole bunch of white supremacist bullshit from all of them, including and especially the artist, ceo, and designer (3 brothers, from what I can tell). Not the most surprising thing from a western European family with 16 loving kids, but uh, might wanna add that to the list of why TfM is hot garbage.

Don't suppose you have receipts?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The cherry on that turd pie is the actual Western illustrator is his sister, as if his nepotism is benefitting the creative community in any way lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

DropTheAnvil posted:

Don't suppose you have receipts?

just a few, and apparently some of this came to light in 2020 because one of the brothers made a big post about people calling out their company for the posts of his brother and that his opinions dont represent them or the company etc etc, yet all of the employees/family members are the ones liking and sharing the poo poo.

hoiyes posted:

The cherry on that turd pie is the actual Western illustrator is his sister, as if his nepotism is benefitting the creative community in any way lol.

incredible

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

If it's overtly racist then it's not a dog whistle.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The intent was definitely to be a dog whistle, and given the lack of people calling that part out I'd say it worked. He got roasted in the comments on his video about defending the AI art but no one seemed to bat an eye at that line.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

does anyone have thoughts on the many Everdell expansions or is there a breakdown anywhere?

also does anyone have thoughts on Vagrantsong? it looks pretty cool

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CODChimera posted:

does anyone have thoughts on the many Everdell expansions or is there a breakdown anywhere?

poo poo sucks, adds too many mechanics and not enough fun

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bottom Liner posted:

The intent was definitely to be a dog whistle, and given the lack of people calling that part out I'd say it worked. He got roasted in the comments on his video about defending the AI art but no one seemed to bat an eye at that line.

That's because you are cherrypicking his words and trying to find a boogeyman where there is none. The full quote is as follows:

quote:

Fryxelius mentioned that the next game, “a co-operative Viking game called Fates,” has art by a “Western illustrator,” emphasizing that the company spared no expense in making sure it was paying a living wage to the people in charge of those drawings: “We have paid tens of thousands of dollars to have those illustrations made. And not even by some East European illustrator or Asian illustrator, but actually by Western—someone living in the Western world will be doing all the illustrations. That is crazy expensive.”

He is talking about the fact they are still paying money — big money — to real human illustrators (not just using AI) in his next project and emphasizing that by mentioning that they are illustrators from the West, who tend to be more expensive than elsewhere such as in Eastern Europe or Asia. The focal point of his statement is clearly about the large costs involved and he is backing it up with the rather unremarkable fact that labour in richer areas is more expensive than labour in poorer areas.

He/they may be disagreeable to you, but that is different than being irrefutably racist.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

That's because you are cherrypicking his words and trying to find a boogeyman where there is none. The full quote is as follows:

He is talking about the fact they are still paying money — big money — to real human illustrators (not just using AI) in his next project and emphasizing that by mentioning that they are illustrators from the West, who tend to be more expensive than elsewhere such as in Eastern Europe or Asia. The focal point of his statement is clearly about the large costs involved and he is backing it up with the rather unremarkable fact that labour in richer areas is more expensive than labour in poorer areas.

He/they may be disagreeable to you, but that is different than being irrefutably racist.

wanna read the previous post or continue defending the openly white supremacist family?

I know mocking people for calling out awful poo poo is your entire schtick, but go ahead and say what you're getting at here.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 23, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bottom Liner posted:

wanna read the previous post or continue defending the openly white supremacist family?

Do you mean the one where you post the opinions — including the nebulous Facebook "like" — of upwards of 7 different people without context? Like I'm not sure what you are talking about?

Ironically, you are indeed the one being the most racist thus far:

Bottom Liner posted:

Not the most surprising thing from a western European family with 16 loving kids, but uh, might wanna add that to the list of why TfM is hot garbage.

"You know those Western Europeans, racist as they come!"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

the opinions

that sure is something to call white supremacists spewing white supremacy.

Pvt. Parts posted:

including the nebulous Facebook "like" — of upwards of 7 different people without context? Like I'm not sure what you are talking about?

I already gave you the context: those people are the guy interviewed above (CEO) and his brothers, designer, and artist of TfM, along with the rest of the family/company.

quote:

Ironically, you are indeed the one being the most racist thus far:

"You know those Western Europeans, racist as they come!"

:lmao:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bottom Liner posted:

that sure is something to call white supremacists spewing white supremacy.

Ok how about this, using your big boy/girl words describe where the white supremacy is demonstrated. That is quite the lofty charge to make of someone and requires connecting some real dots.

So far your "receipts" show:

A (translated) commentary on Rittenhouse being unfairly called a white supremacist. Definitely a hot topic in American race relation terms but he's... defending a guy who got acquitted for shooting three white guys who attacked him at protest and otherwise credibly denies being a white supremacist? Not a smoking gun by any means. At least the BBC seems to support that Rittenhouse was linked "without any evidence, to white supremacists".

A liking of a shared Stephen Crowder video of unknown content. Not sure what to glean from that.

A (translated) commentary seemingly in support of a UN speaker defending Israel. As far as I know most White supremacists don't like Jews/Israel, so if anything this is counter evidence?

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Holy poo poo take the Rittenhouse/Crowder horseshit outta the board game thread