Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh right. i hear it's pretty sad and will pass. ty for clarifying tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

it's a good book jonny, also the first book to ever trigger an emotional reaction from me (i had to read it in ninth grade and threw it across the room in anger at the end)

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I still think about the weird cowboy with the vaseline glove what the heck was that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

of mice and men

pretty quick read and worth it if you haven't

my mind went straight to bugs bunny and totally forgot about the actual source material

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the 1992 film version with gary sinise and john malkovich (and :swoon: sherilyn fenn :swoon:) was pretty well regarded and is largely true to the book

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh i don't doubt that it's good. i just....i just can't these days. forex i'd rather cut my own ears off than reread grapes of wrath in 2023

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Video Nasty posted:

I still think about the weird cowboy with the vaseline glove what the heck was that.

best strategy for dealing with cracked hand skin in the winter imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's so few ap english reading list dead white guy authors I still read, the last was probably camus' the plague when covid started

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

camus is real good and the myth of sisyphus was really good to me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MononcQc posted:

the myth of sisyphus was really good to me.

ive started it a few times

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Video Nasty posted:

it was explicitly stated that it was for their significant other so no rough hands for sexy time, op

e: thanks for unearthing something i havent thought about for 25 years

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i'm just glad the reference landed, but yeah that's a real sad book

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

MononcQc posted:

camus is real good and the myth of sisyphus was really good to me.

I’ve gotten to almost the end but then just stopped reading and had to start again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that's absurd.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i played this sisyphus clicker game a while back. true to life there's no way to win

https://kinda.fun/sisyphus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

best strategy for dealing with cracked hand skin in the winter imo

i have a tub of stuff that smells vaguely like sheeps that works wonders.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

bag balm crew

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Eeyo posted:

i played this sisyphus clicker game a while back. true to life there's no way to win

https://kinda.fun/sisyphus

a bit on the nose, imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

lanolin crew checking in

I am a big fan of E45 cream, idk if it’s in the US but is in the UK at least

lanolin products leave the skin feeling silky, almost like there’s a tiny bit of talcum powder on the skin

the best way is to use and rub in and then towel off the excess. I used to do this 50/50 soft/liquid paraffin and that defo works as a good treatment but lanolin stuff is better imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

lanolin crew checking in

I am a big fan of E45 cream, idk if it’s in the US but is in the UK at least

lanolin products leave the skin feeling silky, almost like there’s a tiny bit of talcum powder on the skin

the best way is to use and rub in and then towel off the excess. I used to do this 50/50 soft/liquid paraffin and that defo works as a good treatment but lanolin stuff is better imo

we mostly got biggie cream, since hes dead though e40 is ok i guess

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Have you tried the Analgesic Heat Rub?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hear it smells terrible.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lanolin is good at keeping rust off stuff too, so smear it on metal stuff you gotta leave outside.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Enderzero posted:

I’ve gotten to almost the end but then just stopped reading and had to start again

I get the joke, but even just the start is very good

quote:

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the rest—whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether the mind has nine or twelve categories—comes afterwards. These are games; one must first answer. And if it is true, as Nietzsche claims, that a philosopher, to deserve our respect, must preach by example, you can appreciate the importance of that reply, for it will precede the definitive act. These are facts the heart can feel; yet they call for careful study before they become clear to the intellect.

If I ask myself how to judge that this question is more urgent than that, I reply that one judges by the actions it entails. I have never seen anyone die for the ontological argument. Galileo, who held a scientific truth of great importance, abjured it with the greatest ease as soon as it endangered his life. In a certain sense, he did right. That truth was not worth the stake. Whether the earth or the sun revolves around the other is a matter of profound indifference. To tell the truth, it is a futile question. On the other hand, I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions. How to answer it?
like how loving good of a philosophy text intro is that?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
also came up in last night's watch, "Party Girl" with Parker Posey :allears:

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

MononcQc posted:

I get the joke, but even just the start is very good

like how loving good of a philosophy text intro is that?

real good. believe me I know! I read Man’s Search For Meaning like 12 years ago while in therapy because I do consider that to be the most important matter. but I also remain stunned at Frankl’s tenacity; I’d be dead so loving quick in the camps. and even now I constantly choose comfort over meaning, because trying to generate meaning doesn’t pay well in our society and also I don’t get the dopamine or whatever hit of accomplishment. I show someone a working service, or a woodworking project and I just think jesus that was a lot of work for very little. so I’m stuck and just keep drifting through the weeks trying not to get fired and continue to anesthetize myself with weed or drinking or video games and oh poo poo this got too serious real fast

thanks for the recommendation. always liked Camus.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

we mostly got biggie cream, since hes dead though e40 is ok i guess

so that's what 40 water is

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Chris Knight posted:

also came up in last night's watch, "Party Girl" with Parker Posey :allears:

I don't believe that's a real name

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Parker Posey was the Queen of Independent Cinema

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

might still be idk

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i thought she was a british chud

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s someone else with a similar name

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
she came to nz and got egged and ran away home

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i thought she was a british chud
That's Posie Parker although it's not her real name so maybe she intentionally chose it because it sounded similar or something?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

That's Posie Parker although it's not her real name so maybe she intentionally chose it because it sounded similar or something?

yeah, the worst thing you can say about parker posey is that she was in a woody allen movie in 2016.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
kinda funny how "terf" became a catch-all for "british chud"

e: before anyone jumps i'm aware they're not mutually exclusive

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 20, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

kinda funny how "terf" became a catch-all for "british chud"
what do you mean?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

what do you mean?

he means every british person is racist, no exceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

what do you mean?

i've seen people in cspam using it for people that are not necessarily transphobic but are right-wing and british. i guess maybe its not as widespread as i thought