Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
the only upgrade for an apartment i ever made was fixing a leaking toilet after waiting months and that was just $20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Life imitates art

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGfBEnBw01A

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lmao of course they are a blue check.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thoguh posted:

lmao of course they are a blue check.

This is the real danger of the blue check, it marks you as a credulous moron and you'll spend the rest of your life getting scammed.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

RadiRoot posted:

the only upgrade for an apartment i ever made was fixing a leaking toilet after waiting months and that was just $20

My last landlady flat out told me to not upgrade or fix anything because that was her job. I changed a few lightbulbs and caulked a small part of the kitchen sink but that’s it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 74 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

In the late 1980s/early 1990s there was a huge log home fad and people all over the country were building log homes and living in their log homes, until they found out that they have to be sealed every 3-4 years at a cost of around $7K nowadays. Anyway, after people found that out they quit building so many log homes.

Just thinking about that when I looked at this opportunity to buy someone else's bug-ridden maintenance gently caress up for nearly $300K

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

even the realtor camera magic couldn’t brighten those rooms.

always wanted a cinderblock chimney

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I had to investigate why a town in the meddle of PA was named Jersey Shore:

quote:

A rivalry developed between the two settlements, and those on the eastern shore began referring to the settlement on the western shore as the "Jersey Shore," because the Manning family had relocated from New Jersey. The nickname became so fixed that in 1826 the original name of Waynesburg was officially abandoned and changed to Jersey Shore.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I was supposed to get water at my fixer upper today after a year of waiting and then the digging machine broke :)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

War and Pieces posted:

I was supposed to get water at my fixer upper today after a year of waiting and then the digging machine broke :)

You waited a year for a machine instead of buying a shovel?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I bet you're thirsty as all hell

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

poemdexter posted:

You waited a year for a machine instead of buying a shovel?

I waited a year for permission to dig

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My only dream house is a small sea cottage on top of some cliffs overlooking the New England Atlantic so I can be an ocean hermit and die alone thanks

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
you can still die alone at least :blessed:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

My only dream house is a small sea cottage on top of some cliffs overlooking the New England Atlantic so I can be an ocean hermit and die alone thanks

I think I’d prefer the pacific but otherwise this sounds really nice and a million times better than most peoples’ dream houses

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i wanna live in malheur county oregon because it means misfortune in french and looks like a fun desert place but you’re in oregon

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's normal in situations like this, for the tenants to be disappointed, sad, and miffed, but they've taken it to the next level, which is completely inappropriate.

All renters know, guaranteed permanency is not part of the package when you rent (unless it's a rent to own situation, and even those cases have caveats).

It is not their property, nor is it their business why you'd like to live in your house. I would've said that (nicely) rather than give them personal info they have zero rights to.

I'm happy they seem to have taken care of your house, and have enjoyed living there for the time they have.

I'm sure they made a plenitude of lovely memories in your house, but the fact remains it is your house, not theirs. You're following the necessary legalities, in addition to giving them ample, "bonus time," to vacate.

As heartbreaking as I'm sure this is, if the tenants wanted permanency, they should have purchased their own home.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh thank god it's from reddit and not here. Jesus Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have almost saved up enough for a house!!!

e: poo poo, bought avocado toast, finances in shambles :smith:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

interesting write up in matt levine's newsletter today

god i wish i could assume a 3% mortgage that would own

quote:

Mortgage assumption startup

Just conceptually it is an obvious trade:
  • I own a house with a $400,000 mortgage with a 3% interest rate, and I want to sell it.
  • You would like to buy my house for $500,000, putting 20% down and borrowing $400,000.
  • But interest rates have gone up a lot, and if you got a $400,000 mortgage now, the interest rate would be 7%.
  • You can’t afford that, so you don’t borrow $400,000, so you don’t buy my house.
  • What if you could give me $100,000, move into the house, and take over my mortgage, making the 3% payments until it is paid off? Then we are both better off.
Broadly speaking you could imagine two ways to do this:
  • (1) We could call up my mortgage lender and say “hey, everything about this mortgage is gonna stay the same — same amount ($400,000), same term (30 years or whatever), same rate (3%), same collateral (my house), except there’ll be a different borrower (you, not me). Are you cool with that?” And then the lender says “yes,” either out of the goodness of its heart or because we pay it a little fee or because the original terms of the mortgage specifically allowed me to let someone else take over the mortgage.
  • (2) Magic? Like, we do some sleight of hand where we don’t call up my lender to get its approval, but we structure a transaction between ourselves that achieves this result. You give me $100,000, you move into the house, you send the mortgage checks to me, I forward them to my bank, we enter into some sort of blood oath that makes me not have to worry about your credit risk, I don’t know.
The first option is called “assuming” the mortgage. Generally speaking if you call up a bank asking them to let you assume a 3% mortgage, they will say no, because that is a money-losing trade for them. The lender would much rather have me sell the house for $500,000 to a new buyer who does not assume the mortgage, get its $400,000 below-market mortgage paid back, and then issue a new $400,000 mortgage to the buyer at market rates (7%).

But, in the US, some mortgages are, by their terms, assumable: The bank doesn’t have to like it, but it can’t say no. In particular, the Wall Street Journal reports:

quote:

Some 22% of active mortgages are part of the government programs that have assumption features, according to the mortgage-data and technology company Black Knight. That includes loans extended through the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Federal Housing Administration programs.

Few consumers know about the option, and fewer still follow through with it. The FHA has processed 3,349 assumptions in the fiscal year that ends Sept. 30, up from 2,566 in the year prior.

That Journal article is about a new company called Roam that is launching to address that problem, mostly by telling people with assumable mortgages that they have assumable mortgages:

quote:

Raunaq Singh, Roam’s founder and chief executive officer, says his new company will find and advertise home listings attached to attractive assumable mortgages. It is initially launching in Georgia, Arizona, Colorado, Texas and Florida.

The company aims to help with the paperwork and other bureaucratic hoops. That means working with the seller’s mortgage company on behalf of the buyer and seller.

“Have you ever called someone every day until you get what you wanted?” says Singh, who earlier in his career worked at the online real-estate company Opendoor. “That’s the kind of service we do on your behalf.”

The “paperwork and other bureaucratic hoops” are driven not only by old-fashioned banking processes but also by the fact we discussed above, that a bank doesn’t really want to keep a 3% mortgage outstanding if it doesn’t have to:

quote:

The startup could run up against the Luddite world of mortgage banking, where assumption documents are still often transmitted by fax machine. Lenders sometimes drag their feet in processing assumptions because they earn only a few hundred dollars for processing them, far less than for originating a new mortgage, according to Ted Tozer, nonresident fellow at the Urban Institute’s Housing Finance Policy Center.

For loan assumptions to become popular, lenders will need to be allowed to earn more on them, Tozer says. “There’s not much you can do with that if the lenders aren’t going to be efficiently processing assumptions,” he says.

This is fine, this is a useful service. I will say though that I would much rather be writing about a new fintech startup doing Option 2: finding some way for you to assume my mortgage without the bank processing the assumption. Do the sleight of hand! Create value from nowhere! Oh I am not at all sure it could work or anything; I assume there’s a reason no one has done it. But rates really were 3% pretty recently, and they really are 7% now, and there really are a lot of 3% mortgages out there that are not assumable by their terms, and if someone could find something to do with them that would be a good business.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Hunting for 3% mortgages like its low background steel

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

:hmmyes:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Might be fun, honestly

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

interesting write up in matt levine's newsletter today

i hate everything about this. so loving stupid.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If assumption catches on the banks will pay off congress to put an immediate stop to it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Might be fun, honestly

Yeah. What's the kitchen like?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Got hit with a surprise bill of $3500 for "traffic control" in my year long quest to get water turned on at my $4000 house

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The roam thing looks neato because the only mortgages that are eligible are FHA and VA loans and you can only assume them if you are eligible for a FHA and/or VA loan. For someone selling, if they know you are going through roam, they at least know you're more than likely gonna live in the house since it's FHA/VA. And using roam means that you potentially get more eyeballs on your property since people can borrow against a 401k or something to cover the equity cost and then assume a mortgage.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

War and Pieces posted:

Got hit with a surprise bill of $3500 for "traffic control" in my year long quest to get water turned on at my $4000 house

water has to follow the traffic laws just like the rest of us.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Bought a $4k house and then pulled permits? first-time.jpg :commissar:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

poemdexter posted:

The roam thing looks neato because the only mortgages that are eligible are FHA and VA loans and you can only assume them if you are eligible for a FHA and/or VA loan. For someone selling, if they know you are going through roam, they at least know you're more than likely gonna live in the house since it's FHA/VA. And using roam means that you potentially get more eyeballs on your property since people can borrow against a 401k or something to cover the equity cost and then assume a mortgage.

You can withdraw from 401k/IRA, but ordinarily it is both taxed and penalized another 10%. If you withdraw it for a FHA loan, you only pay tax. I don't know VA, but I've gotten 3 FHA loans so far. Twice I took money out for closing costs.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

War and Pieces posted:

I just saved you $3470

https://www.amazon.com/stop-slow-paddle-signs/s?k=stop+and+slow+paddle+signs

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I saw the teachers for a daycare group use these when I was driving & wondered if I could buy one for myself so thanks.

As it is when I cross as a pedestrian at a cross walk I hold up my hand and do the stop thing while I'm still on the curb so as to not die but for some weird reason that totally enrages drivers. :confused:

They'd prolly even get more pissed off at an actual stop sign but it's got that aura of crossing-guard authority.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Willa Rogers posted:

when I cross as a pedestrian at a cross walk I hold up my hand and do the stop thing while I'm still on the curb

You should wear a helmet for proper safety since you're already being weird about it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I live across the street from an elementary and take great and sick pleasure in slow walking across when the crossing guard isn’t holding her stop sign up and cars are trying to go

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just step into the road, the cars will stop. doesn’t need a whole production

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jenny Agutter posted:

just step into the road, the cars will stop. doesn’t need a whole production

Dozens of people die in crosswalks every year in Nashville because of thinking like this.

A grad student at the university I work at was run over by a truck and killed while trying to walk with the walk signal protecting her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

Dozens of people die in crosswalks every year in Nashville because of thinking like this.

A grad student at the university I work at was run over by a truck and killed while trying to walk with the walk signal protecting her.

when i lived in toronto i often found it safer to cross streets in the middle where i only had to deal with traffic in two directions (which always clumped up anyway so easy enough to just go across after they pass). doesn't work with 6 lane stroads though.

really though we should universally ban right turns on red.