Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
For anyone in the US who has a covid booster booked in this week, you might want to check that your insurance still covers it or you might have to pay out of pocket. I've heard from several people in the last few days that their insurer (Kaiser Permanente in these cases) won't currently cover covid vaxxes at other pharmacies but they also currently don't have any of the new vaxxes stocked at their own pharmacies yet.

And for anyone in Australia, the recommendation earlier this year was that people should/could get a booster every 6 months but they changed this a few weeks ago and now most people who already got a booster earlier in 2023 won't be able to get another one this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm standing in line to get my updated booster right now. CVS and Walgreens are still both offering it for free :toot:

Update: I waited around for about 30 minutes after checking in and no one getting called back. The guy next to me asked "You here for a covid vaccine?" Yeah, yeah I am... "You have an appointment?" Yep, I do, my appointment was 30 minutes ago. "My appointment was 2 and a half hours ago..." he says. So I dipped out without a shot :smith: There were 4 people ahead of me and it was taking 45+ minutes per person.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 19, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm standing in line to get my updated booster right now. CVS and Walgreens are still both offering it for free :toot:

Update: I waited around for about 30 minutes after checking in and no one getting called back. The guy next to me asked "You here for a covid vaccine?" Yeah, yeah I am... "You have an appointment?" Yep, I do, my appointment was 30 minutes ago. "My appointment was 2 and a half hours ago..." he says. So I dipped out without a shot :smith: There were 4 people ahead of me and it was taking 45+ minutes per person.

They may be having to set people up in their system, which may require them to help people get set up in their own providers eHealth portals so that they can link the records with their systems and see their vaccination history.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
When I got mine at CVS they were having trouble getting insurance to approve, said that it is taking multiple submissions and different codes. Basically America in a nut shell.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Apparently Walgreens (at least the local ones) are double booking their appointment times which is causing big delays. I rebooked at CVS for next week

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 19, 2023

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

My wife and I both got our updated Moderna boosters today at Walgreens. This time it didn't seem like they are gate keeping like they had been since we didn't have to say we are immunocompromised to get it today. We are in our mid-late 40's and relatively healthy so every booster we wanted on the 6 month schedule since initial shots they wouldn't give to us unless we said we are immunocompromised. No copays on this shot still.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Is now the time to get another booster? I usually wait until mid october for my flu shot and i'd kinda rather wait until then just to save some time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i made an appt on the walgreens site and i think i crashed it. I'll try again tomorrow.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

pencilhands posted:

Is now the time to get another booster? I usually wait until mid october for my flu shot and i'd kinda rather wait until then just to save some time.
That depends. What's your level of exposure right now? Getting a booster now will have your titers maxed by the end of the month. Of course, you'll have a bit less protection a few months from now than you would if you've waited, and it's kinda hard to say what'll be happening then.

Personally, since wastewater RNA levels where I live are matching or exceeding the first Omicron wave from 2021-22, I don't think ima wait too long to get boosted

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pencilhands posted:

I'm kind of leaning toward mid-October for mine, in order to try to aim for higher protection during the holidays. Based off of my experience the last couple years, I'm thinking this might work best for me. So far I still haven't got COVID, and only been sick at all like once since 2020.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Morning update from latest booster. Holy hell our shoulders are more sore this time than any other one! Otherwise, almost no side effects of feeling crappy or anything. Overall win.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Any suggestions for builds? I am thinking of something with an AGI boost, like maybe bat wings? But I kinda wanna get duck flippers this time, too, which means beak. Decisions, decisions. Can't bill gates publish some sort of strategy guide for COVID upgrades?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm kind of leaning toward mid-October for mine, in order to try to aim for higher protection during the holidays. Based off of my experience the last couple years, I'm thinking this might work best for me. So far I still haven't got COVID, and only been sick at all like once since 2020.

It'll still offer protection through the holidays. If you haven't been boosted in 6+ months, go ahead and get it, because that one's definitely waning a bit.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Any suggestions for builds? I am thinking of something with an AGI boost, like maybe bat wings? But I kinda wanna get duck flippers this time, too, which means beak. Decisions, decisions. Can't bill gates publish some sort of strategy guide for COVID upgrades?

Put a few points into charisma for the pharmacy tech deception checks.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Zugzwang posted:

That depends. What's your level of exposure right now? Getting a booster now will have your titers maxed by the end of the month. Of course, you'll have a bit less protection a few months from now than you would if you've waited, and it's kinda hard to say what'll be happening then.

Personally, since wastewater RNA levels where I live are matching or exceeding the first Omicron wave from 2021-22, I don't think ima wait too long to get boosted

I work in schools alot, though after hours when the kids are gone, but I still imagine pretty high.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

What's the usual time for smell recovery in a vaccinated individual? My friend has the anosmia and I remember it being like two to six months for it to recover (but likely come back altered), but I think that was in unvaccinated people at the start of the pandemic.

Basically can I tell my friend it will probably be okay in a couple weeks, or should I just send :rip: now

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My insurance told me I'd have to pay up front for the COVID-19 vaccine and then file a claim to get reimbursed, but CVS didn't charge me so I guess they were able to figure everything out on the backend (for my insurance, anyway). There were only two people waiting before I got there, and after I was done they had a store announcement that the new vaccines were available and they were accepting walk-ins.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tagra posted:

What's the usual time for smell recovery in a vaccinated individual? My friend has the anosmia and I remember it being like two to six months for it to recover (but likely come back altered), but I think that was in unvaccinated people at the start of the pandemic.

Basically can I tell my friend it will probably be okay in a couple weeks, or should I just send :rip: now

it's unknowable. sometimes it can heal itself, depending on what was damaged to cause the loss of sense of smell. but there's no way to know the difference until it does, or it doesn't.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tagra posted:

I had a mostly minor case in terms of symptoms but it completely nuked my sense of smell, I didn't get it back for ~10 days

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

I had a mostly minor case in terms of symptoms but it completely nuked my sense of smell, I didn't get it back for ~10 days

That's actually pretty comforting. I've been trying to find some research for them but the majority of it is from 2020 and is 100% :rip: material. Most of the post-vaccine research seems to be "Vaccines don't stop you from losing sense of smell" but nothing about recovery time in the vaccinated. They're basically resigned to having lost it for three months to infinity, but 10 days would be a much better prognosis.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tagra posted:

That's actually pretty comforting. I've been trying to find some research for them but the majority of it is from 2020 and is 100% :rip: material. Most of the post-vaccine research seems to be "Vaccines don't stop you from losing sense of smell" but nothing about recovery time in the vaccinated. They're basically resigned to having lost it for three months to infinity, but 10 days would be a much better prognosis.

It really does depend on the individual and where the virus decided to set up shop. Some people never lose it, some for a day, a week, a month, six months, a year, it comes back ‘wrong’ (lots of people complaining about muted, or everything tasting/smelling like rotting garbage or burnt garbage or not able to smell certain scents). Mostly rest, drink lots of fluids, don’t smoke if you’re a smoker, take it easy and let your body heal. If your friend is still not smelling anything after two weeks, you can try smell training.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Fun vocabulary time: the word for your sense of smell getting distorted is parosmia. Anosmia is when it goes missing or gets reduced.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DominoKitten posted:

Fun vocabulary time: the word for your sense of smell getting distorted is parosmia. Anosmia is when it goes missing or gets reduced.

Close, but reduced sense of smell is hyposmia.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Remember a month ago when people were wondering whether we should just close the thread?

Good times

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Close, but reduced sense of smell is hyposmia.

Thank you, adding that one to my stable!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Remember a month ago when people were wondering whether we should just close the thread?

Good times

COVID-19 ain’t going away! - @CharlieDaniels

naem
May 29, 2011

Apt booked thanks thread

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Oracle posted:

It really does depend on the individual and where the virus decided to set up shop. Some people never lose it, some for a day, a week, a month, six months, a year, it comes back ‘wrong’ (lots of people complaining about muted, or everything tasting/smelling like rotting garbage or burnt garbage or not able to smell certain scents). [/url]

My coworker has had COVID three times, all before she started in our office. She started with us in February and has been sick four times with non-COVID, or at least she tested multiple times and all came back clean, but each and every one was "the worst [cold/flu/something] of my life!" and I highly suspect her immune system was basically formatted to 0 after repeated COVID infections... she's out sick this week again :buddy:

They were doing some construction work on the roof our building and she started exclaiming that she could smell gas, or something burning. We were all like :confused: because we didn't smell anything, and did a quick little walkabout until she said "HERE! You don't smell that???"

And we did smell it. It was fresh sawdust from the construction. But she swore it smelled like natural gas and smoke.

Then she said "Ever since COVID things just haven't seemed right..."

Yeah so I'll be over here with an N95 on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My grandma had covid in fall 2020. She says her sense of smell and taste came back eventually, but it’s pretty clear it’s a tiny fraction of what it was. I’ve been staying there on and off to help her out, so I do all the cooking, and it’s amazing how much more she’ll eat when it’s seasoned heavily. I’ve taken to putting out a bowl of scallions with every dinner because she’ll put literally 1-2 cups on top of whatever she’s eating.

(And then when she cooks for herself she uses zero seasonings, not even salt and pepper, but that’s a different issue…)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

theyre back

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1704577133505315303

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is it NYT style guide to couch sure things as “possible” to make themselves look like vacillating morons?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Just signed up for a monday appointment to get my covid, flu, and.... hepatitis B? :confused: shots

cvs prompted me that they have some sort of new hep b vaccine so i figured why not. I remember getting one in 2006 though when i visited central america in high school. I guess I'll ask the nurse or whoever if I should actually get it or not

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Hep B used to be a series maybe you are just completing the series or maybe it's a one shot thing now, or doing the series over

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hep B is a series. You get shots at 0, 1, and 6 months (there is also a less common 0 and 4 month one). You ought to have gotten it at birth, then again every 30 years or so.

If you had a partial series in 2006 but no good records of what exactly was done, redoing the whole thing can be easier, the extra doses aren't harmful and probably cheaper than measuring antibody levels

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Might as well get Twinrix for hep A+B while you’re at it!

Also, just a reminder about Tdap. You need a booster about every 10 years! It’s not just about tetanus, I promise you do not want whooping cough

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I got my tdap booster last week - made the appointment weeks ago when I didn’t know when the new covid shots would be approved/available, so now I’m told I’m supposed to wait a couple of weeks before getting the new covid shot - along with a flu shot, and whew, I think the tdap booster hit me like no other vaccine because I was out of it and couldn’t sleep for poo poo that night.

Still worth it IMO

I asked at the time if there were any others I should get boosted on and the PA said “nope not unless you’re planning on traveling somewhere!” so idk guess I’m good? Got my covid shot appointment on the 28th.

Going to try to avoid the office as much as possible for the next couple of weeks, i know a bunch of my coworkers are going to the local comic con this weekend and I’m fully expecting that to be a loving superspreader event

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

She says her sense of smell and taste came back eventually, but it’s pretty clear it’s a tiny fraction of what it was. I’ve been staying there on and off to help her out, so I do all the cooking, and it’s amazing how much more she’ll eat when it’s seasoned heavily.

I wonder how many health issues will come about because of people eating a ton of salt and sugar with everything.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

In America that won't be a problem

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
tbc by heavily seasoned I mean with like alliums, fresh herbs, spices, pepper, citrus. I’m not trying to kill her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I got my updated COVID booster yesterday, and it has knocked me on my rear end like none of them have since the original vaccine series. This was my... Sixth one? They ran out of space on my vaccine card and put a sticker on the back.

Body aches, fatigue, skin sensitivity, mild headache, and weird-rear end dreams. I feel like I have a fever but don't actually have one. No telltale "actual COVID" symptoms, and I haven't been unmasked around people in the last week, so I'm sure it's the vaccine.

I'm wondering if the side-effects are bad because it's been a full year since the last booster, or because I got Moderna this time after always getting Pfizer in the past. I wouldn't think they'd be that different.

Anyway, still worth it. I'm happy I decided to wait and not get my flu shot at the same time though. I'll knock that out next week.