Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bobtheconqueror posted:

There's a point in ARR where the occasional NPC will recognize you, like the quest with the stolen reaper mech where the random Garlean goes "that's the eikon slayer!" in a very oh poo poo way.

I think there's a great opportunity for that if they bring back the weird catboy for the beast tribe capstone. Him just showing up and realizing not only are you the adventurer that's been messing up his plans before, but also the savior of the whole danged star.
You have done very little. Mainly you watch as the tribes you helped get their act together kick his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mordiceius posted:

You get your butt slider, but the current butt size is the maximum and you can only make it smaller.

ENOUGH, YOSHI-P

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I’m ok with tomes being used but I was really hoping to at least have a step that used ShB fates so people would do them and I could get gems for some stuff I still need.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I dislike the tomes-only method of relics, especially since all of them so far have been 'spend 500 tomestones on one of these chunks of ore, get 3 of them', but my real dislike is the complete lack of, like, any sort of story about these weapons. They're really banking on you finding Godbert funny...but then they barely do anything funny with him besides 'haha not many clothes'?

Like they might have had something with the most recent cutscene but they just skipped over everything interesting in favor of another 'Gerolt is an alcoholic' joke.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

While I prefer the Get Tomestones > Buy 3 McGuffins > Get Relic Weapon method, and dislike the horrible grindfest of the ARR Relic Weapons, my stance is still this:

They should have given Relic Weapons the Aether Currents treatment: Current and Previous Expansion are Grindfests, all others are Tomestone McGuffins.

Right now, you'd be grinding for Shadowbringers and Endwalker relics, and handing in Tomestone McGuffins for ARR through Stormblood Relic Weapons. When Dawntrail launches, Shadowbringers would switch to Tomestones.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah you only have like 10s of stuff regarding relic lore, and most of it is shirtless hildebrand / his assistant / gerolt. If anything I want more story for the weapons, but I'm not interested in a grind.

I haven't done the Eureka ones but those questlines had some pretty interesting stuff just about the weapons, and their origins, and their historical significance.

In the end though, players need a way to progress their weapons, and I don't think it's fair to put them behind a hell grind. If you don't do Extremes, and you can't afford crafted (both of which are a nontrivial amount of players), your only other choice is a capped tomestone weapon. Basically one weapon every 2 months. Just doesn't work if you have multiple jobs. Progress for armour isn't exactly fast - tomestones and 24-man raids, but at least there's some room to progress every week.

And as someone that runs roulettes and 24-player raids with randos, I scream to the heavens to get them better weapons.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mordiceius posted:

Question of the Day -

What would be some quality of life features that you would like to see revealed for Dawntrail?

Better accessibility options that let you turn off background effects that can trigger stuff like vertigo/motion sickness/photo sensitivity. My FC leader ran Tower at Paradigm's Breech one time back during Shadowbringers and got so physically ill from the experience that she had to stop playing and lay down for a few hours, and is now terrified to use the Alliance Roulette because she doesn't want to get thrown in there again. (And this was after they already adjusted it because of people's feedback regarding accessibility.) She also got triggered by the spinning background in E12S after making it past the door boss the one time we tried to see if we could unsynch it in Endwalker after hitting 90, so we ended up not being able to finish that.

I just want my friend to be able to play the game and do the cool fights without it making her sick. :(

Failboattootoot posted:

I do have all 90's and because there is no point for me. I have a main and that's pretty much all I play. If I had 50 glam plates I'd consider it but we only get 15 and I've got 9 of them devoted to my main. The others are 5 for doh/l and 1 for gnb, which I actually am getting a 2nd relic for just because I had nothing else to spend tomes on and I use it rarely for soloing sephirot when it comes up in catbook.

We have 20 glamour plates, not 15.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

W.T. Fits posted:

I just want my friend to be able to play the game and do the cool fights without it making her sick. :(

We have 20 glamour plates, not 15.

Fine, 10 reaper glams, half of which are all job outfits minus the weapon slots. 1 ninja glam that I could probably ditch at this point because I stopped maining nin in pvp so I don't use it much anymore. 1 gnb specific glam, 1 generic healer glam. A generic DoH glam then dedicated wvr, gsm, and alch glams. And then 1 each for min, btn, and fsh.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

You get your butt slider, but the current butt size is the maximum and you can only make it smaller.

the rise of the hank hill roegadudes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Butt Slider will be directly inverse of the boob slider, so if you want a big rear end your tits shrink. Also applies to male characters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like the big glowy weapon to have some time investment or effort required to get.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I will simply never get a relic weapon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Your concerns have been heard and instead of a tomestone dump we're having you do books again.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Butt Slider will be directly inverse of the boob slider, so if you want a big rear end your tits shrink. Also applies to male characters.

Jack the butt slider up and your male catgirl falls to the ground dead as their chest collapses in on itself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i don't mind relics having a bit more to them mechanically than just bringing some tomes in, but the process absolutely needs to be less opaque

it's extremely easy to lose track of what the next step is or if you were supposed to have a quest to tell you what to do or what

i have done two steps of one ARR relic and i don't remember what the next step was but even just the basic description of it from the questgiver was enough to make me sigh resignedly and figure i was never going all the way
i haven't even touched HW relics, i hear they're the worst
I've been to eureka and died there a bunch but i definitely don't have a fancy weapon or even the makings of one, nor do i have any guidance because apparently i was supposed to be there tuned into the rumor mill when it was current content, a full year-plus before i started, or to play with other people who are in the know (90% of my play time is between 1 and 6 am, cool cool cool)
I've done bojza up to the beginning of zadnor (see the above parenthetical about why I'm not further) and bought several first-stage relics because simple purchasing is easy, but I am absolutely stumped as to what i was supposed to do to advance them, if i was ever actually told. do i know what to do with like the three or four kinds of local currency that drops? no, i do not

meanwhile I've got like all but two or three classes with manderweapons, and most of those are second- or third-stage. i get to do the thing without feeling like I'm a fuckup constantly, it's great!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Your concerns have been heard and instead of a tomestone dump we're having you do books again.

God books. I don't even mind doing them in theory, it's that they specifically only allow you to have one at a time so you can't just knock out a bunch of your required kills at once. It is the most obvious padding.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hexwren posted:

do i know what to do with like the three or four kinds of local currency that drops? no, i do not
this is easy

regular coins can buy gear, or items to augment that first set of gear to be better in bozja
silver coins can buy gold coins, which can buy a second set of gear, which you can then augment with the first set of augmented gear + an item that only drops from delubrum reginae savage so you will never see it to be even better in bozja
mythril coins can buy platinum coins, which can buy a third set of gear, which is i525 so at the time it was worthwhile but now it's only glam because you can't augment it for inside bozja and its stats are obviously useless outside bozja

perfectly simple and cromulent and no reason at all to not have five distinct loving kinds of coins

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 20, 2023

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
QoL wishes:

- Fix the jank rear end lb bar getting kneecapped if someone disconnects/reconnects

- auto switch me or ask if I'd like to switch to the job for any given craft, if job-specific

- allow me to sit in the aetherial baby jail during msqdr instead of rewatching cutscenes so I can desynth/repair/eat or whatever

-shorten the roll timer, nobody needs that long to decide if they want it or not

- Give us an option to include dead players as part of the sort filter for controller. My god is it frustrating to select dead people easily during hunts on controller.

- Revamp pvp UI for controller so at the end it's easier to get to commendations, right now it's a pain and super easy to just leave, which doesn't feel nice

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Funky Valentine posted:

... Still better than gathering light. I'll take it!!!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Honestly redone books wouldn't be too bad, just make it one big book per weapon instead of 9 books you could only do one at a time.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

bobtheconqueror posted:

There's a point in ARR where the occasional NPC will recognize you, like the quest with the stolen reaper mech where the random Garlean goes "that's the eikon slayer!" in a very oh poo poo way.

I think there's a great opportunity for that if they bring back the weird catboy for the beast tribe capstone. Him just showing up and realizing not only are you the adventurer that's been messing up his plans before, but also the savior of the whole danged star.

Nhaza'a Jaab is powered by megaracism and would not care

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the fact that they have metrics showing that making it a tomestone grind means more people are doing relics means they are probably going to make that the norm

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

the fact that they have metrics showing that making it a tomestone grind means more people are doing relics means they are probably going to make that the norm

I mean I'm not sure if you need metrics to say that if you make doing something simpler and easier more people will do it.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Listen, those quests are jokes and one of the funniest things is when random NPCs realize you're the Eikon Slayer, Warrior of Light, Champion of Eorzea, Savior of Ishgard, Liberator of Doma, Whatever Title Befits the Badass What Saved the World, etc, and I think it'd be funny for the turbo racist catboy to show up again just to immediately realize he's made a terrible error.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Haven’t got Necromancer yet? Guess you don’t deserve any new content until you’ve eaten all the dogshit from the lawn! :smug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Firebert posted:

Haven’t got Necromancer yet? Guess you don’t deserve any new content until you’ve eaten all the dogshit from the lawn! :smug:

I mean, I do think basically all the complaints about the 'content drought' in Endwalker are from people who are just mad that there isn't more of the very specific kind of content they already like, and refuse to try anything else. Complaining that there's not enough of the entire meal when they only touched the steak. That doesn't mean that they should go for Once and Future King/Queen, but if they didn't touch Eureka Orthos at all before complaining (and most of them didn't) I have little sympathy.

Also, most of those people were Shadowbringers newbies over either the pandemic or WoW exodus, and you can tell, because they have absolutely no memory of when Shadowbringers had a genuine 'over half a year with nothing' content drought. Or when Heavensward had even worse.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 20, 2023

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Once again shuffling into the thread and saying that if you are out of things to do in FFXIV, Crystal RP is here to welcome you. Come on down to Catgirl Hooters and have a merry ol' time.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

heres one sinple QoL: give the bunnies loving hats

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I do think basically all the complaints about the 'content drought' in Endwalker are from people who are just mad that there isn't more of the very specific kind of content they already like, and refuse to try anything else. Complaining that there's not enough of the entire meal when they only touched the steak. That doesn't mean that they should go for Once and Future King/Queen, but if they didn't touch Eureka Orthos at all before complaining (and most of them didn't) I have little sympathy..

Big fishing and solo deep dungeon are not serious content suggestions unless the person has brain worms, they have probably the lowest time to satisfaction ratio in the game. It’s like suggesting the mount you get for 4K S ranks or whatever is meaningful content that people should do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Oh yeah, and my pick for QoL change:

Announcer line/sound effect when a new team takes the lead in Frontlines. I don't expect it to actually change anything, but it'll be funny how much it doesn't change anything.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am very satisfied waking up to my alarm set at 4:30 AM to get to a fishing window that starts at 4:47AM and getting 0 nibbles out of it.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I'm really happy that the relics in EW are as simple as they are. ARR relics absolutely suck rear end, HW relics absolutely suck rear end, Eureka is the worst content in the entire game and trying to do it is like trying to pull my own teeth out except all i have are my broken fingers, and ShB relics were bad too and I finished it. EW relics are a god send (peace be unto Yoshi P).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Eureka owns.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Not to state the obvious but: of course people mean that they're out of specifically things they enjoy when they are saying that they're out of things to do.

When someone is saying "content drought" they just mean they think that an increasing portion of players are getting bored and leaving, not that an increasing portion of players have hit 100% achievements on every character slot on every server or whatever your threshold for "content" is. That is not a very insightful statement, but "those people should do some things they don't enjoy and don't want to do instead of hoping for more stuff they enjoy!" is an even less insightful response.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It’s actually a crime that Orthos didn’t have a logogram system. Bozja drat near perfected them, and they would have been refreshing compared to the same boring pomanders that have been used for like..8 years now.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Xerophyte posted:

Not to state the obvious but: of course people mean that they're out of specifically things they enjoy when they are saying that they're out of things to do.

When someone is saying "content drought" they just mean they think that an increasing portion of players are getting bored and leaving, not that an increasing portion of players have hit 100% achievements on every character slot on every server or whatever your threshold for "content" is. That is not a very insightful statement, but "those people should do some things they don't enjoy and don't want to do instead of hoping for more stuff they enjoy!" is an even less insightful response.

People running out of things they want to do and going somewhere else is fine, good even, and expected. Even mild complaints about still wanting to play but not having anything to do are inevitable. It's when a subsection of those people are unhelpfully broad and say "EW(/ShB/StB, yes I've heard this argument for all three and probably only haven't heard it for HW because I wasn't playing) has no/less content" do the eye rolls really come out. At least say it's missing your content, whatever that is, as it's way more conducive towards a discussion. The subject's gonna come up immediately anyways, may as well lead with it so everyone's on the same page.

While technically being an "online service" style game, FFXIV actively refuses to become a perma-grind game full of obfuscated time wasters, seasonal grinds that do nothing but suck away time and money or endless RNG grinds with a thumb very firmly planted on the scale opposite players' interests. These systems are where the overly broad "no content" complaints lead to, because they're the only way large developers will deliver the amount of playtime to satisfy our voracious appetites as anything else just doesn't bring them money. I'm incredibly happy YoshiP actively avoids them, because we all know the SE executives wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in ruining the game with some half-baked, exploitative system if they were given the chance.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Yeah, the whole “You’ve run out of content? Ok, see you next patch” paradigm is a Good Thing, not a problem to be fixed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Itzena posted:

Yeah, the whole “You’ve run out of content? Ok, see you next patch” paradigm is a Good Thing, not a problem to be fixed.

I bet a lot of the people complaining about the "ok go play other games for a few months" thing are really just being held hostage by home ownership

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I am not sympathetic to landlords' plights :smuggo: Apartments don't get demolished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Onean posted:

People running out of things they want to do and going somewhere else is fine, good even, and expected. Even mild complaints about still wanting to play but not having anything to do are inevitable. It's when a subsection of those people are unhelpfully broad and say "EW(/ShB/StB, yes I've heard this argument for all three and probably only haven't heard it for HW because I wasn't playing) has no/less content" do the eye rolls really come out. At least say it's missing your content, whatever that is, as it's way more conducive towards a discussion. The subject's gonna come up immediately anyways, may as well lead with it so everyone's on the same page.

While technically being an "online service" style game, FFXIV actively refuses to become a perma-grind game full of obfuscated time wasters, seasonal grinds that do nothing but suck away time and money or endless RNG grinds with a thumb very firmly planted on the scale opposite players' interests. These systems are where the overly broad "no content" complaints lead to, because they're the only way large developers will deliver the amount of playtime to satisfy our voracious appetites as anything else just doesn't bring them money. I'm incredibly happy YoshiP actively avoids them, because we all know the SE executives wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in ruining the game with some half-baked, exploitative system if they were given the chance.

Yeah, this is exactly what I mean. If you only care about savage raids and that's it, sure, I won't begrudge you for not being interested in anything else even if I think you're missing some cool stuff. And I'll even sympathize that the slightly longer time between patches probably didn't treat you well there; it adds up to at least an extra month between savage tiers (realistically more given the Christmas/New Year breaks), and if that's your main thing that kinda sucks. It's like how the back end of the expansion patch cycle tends to have less appeal to me, because a big part of the appeal for me are the tribe quests.

But the people who go 'I've run out of content that appeals to me, this is a problem with the game' are just really annoying to me, because it shows a complete ignorance of not just the fact the game isn't designed to be a thing you never stop playing, but also a willing ignorance of what the game actually does give them. The 'content drought' complainers specifically really get on my nerve with this, because from what I could tell that complaint entered the conversation about a week after 6.35, when the loporrit tribe questline and Eureka Orthos were new. I'd probably call that my favorite patch, so it made it really blatant that this was a complaint only being voiced by people whose definition of 'content' was so narrow that it only counts savage raids and, like, Bozja.