Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Space Godzilla has landed!!

This is incredible! Beautiful piece. Space Zilla is so insanely detailed I can’t believe it. Also his mean face reminds me of :getin:

The box was the biggest surprise for me. I see that the box art was done by Francesco Francavilla who is my favorite comic book artist (shoutout to Afterlice With Archie). My friend said the box is almost worth displaying on its own and I have to agree, :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gat drat that SG rules

Also got my Jougun from Elegab- will take photos and share later

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone tried to strip the paint on a sofubi? Max Toy has an Ultramans coming up that's based on the show into: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv_PF6wLhtk/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I'd like a blank one so was thinking of getting two and stripping one, but wasn't sure how easy that would be to go about.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Anyone tried to strip the paint on a sofubi? Max Toy has an Ultramans coming up that's based on the show into: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv_PF6wLhtk/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I'd like a blank one so was thinking of getting two and stripping one, but wasn't sure how easy that would be to go about.

It is pretty easy! You’ll need a small can of lacquer thinner, some gloves, and some clean rags, all of which can be found at any hardware store. Put on your gloves (I use powder-free nitrile, they are cheap and have no latex or talc in them to potentially irritate your skin) and then dampen part of the rag with the lacquer thinner. Wipe at the paint with the rag, occasionally dampening a different part and using a clean part of the rag as you go along so you don’t smear paint to other parts of the Sofubi. The paint comes off pretty easily on smooth surfaces but can be more difficult on areas with a lot of deep texture. Remember to use the thinner sparingly and not to soak the Sofubi in it, and to rinse off the Sofubi afterwards so the lacquer thinner doesn’t eat away at the vinyl. You kind of want to work quickly due to that part.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Awesome, thanks! I've actually got everything but the lacquer thinner. I'll give it a shot and post up how it looks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Uh… holy poo poo. My big splurge came though. I knew it was going to be big but not THIS big!

The MaxToy Japan big Hedorah!!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Holy moley that’s a big Hedorah!! I love that Big Hed is just STARING down Tunneleon, like “you got a problem half pint?”

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
That Hedo is MASSIVE! Love the oil-slick sheen too.

Also, congratulations to everyone that got the pink Space Godzilla. It's gorgeous!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am happy to report that Hedorah is a polite breakfast companion

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Rad! and holy smokes is that tail long! I've got the Marusan 450 and I'm tempted to display it without the tail so it doesn't sit forward so much.

That shot on the stairs(?) is super cool!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Brilliant photos!

I got some new friends to paint. Battra Larva form doesn't get many toys, so I stocked up.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

AHHHH Selunga!! I need to get some of those

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Because I know everyone is on the edge of their seat in anticipation, haha, I finally got some time to to snap some photos of the Elegab Shogun, but haven't been at a computer lately to upload them. I'll have to make it point to get them up later today or tomorrow.

@Gatos Was doing some window browsing on BubbleWrap and saw they had these guys for sale: https://www.bubblewrapptoys.com/collections/sofvbi/products/lavender-series-uamou?variant=43658377724154. Looks like they should match the RealxHead dude you got a while back. Not sure if they're supposed to be companion pieces or not, but thought I'd pass along in case you hadn't seen them.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Shogun!

In other news Galaxy People has a new standard sized toy coming soon! https://www.instagram.com/p/CwmMpO0riAw/ Huzzah!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Where’s the standard sized Drexel, damnit? :argh:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Oh yeah! Standard size them all for sure!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Stupidly fun Kappa Pickle car: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwqUvC7S7QY/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

I've got the M1 trikes, Failson's Janet UFO, and the GP ships, but I really love the vehicle segment of sofubi. Ichibanboshi motorcycles, Old Toygraph racers (holy $$$ Batman), and the like are really fun. Pickle car is a great one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hey heads up to Los Angeles area sofubi fiends: Sunguts (Ichimiya San) will be at Monster Patrol Toys for an event on the 16th and 17th of this month. I might try and get down there as I haven't seen him in almost 4 years.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
drat, I'm just getting into Sunguts' work, only have the teensy problem of being on the other side of the continent standing in my way.

Wonder if he'll bring the cheerleaders or just proper monsters?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

drat, I'm just getting into Sunguts' work, only have the teensy problem of being on the other side of the continent standing in my way.

He switches it up often, who knows?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Had a handful of new pickups semi-recently and also took some updated collection shots...

Picked up this 15" Marmit Grandizer at a local toy shop. He mostly has action figures, so I don't think this was typically in his wheelhouse / it was priced waaaay below what ebay has these going for. He's also got a huge Red King that's brown and gold, but I forgot to take a picture.

Found a blank Galaxy People Seflapod ship. Don't many Galaxy People blanks out there so I picked it up for the "blanks" shelf.

Picked up this Toygraph Death Climax trooper with Super7 head. A lot like Galaxy People that I love, these were a line of space dudes with some interchangeable heads and arms. Had this on my ebay watchlist and got an offer from the seller for another hefty discount. He's a touch larger than Galaxy People, but still fits in pretty well.

Got in a pair of Max Toy Ultraman in the "Show Intro" swirl colorway. They did a black and white marble a while back and my immediate thought was that this would be an obvious colorway. Took quite a bit of time to get there , but heyo, here they are. Given the hat tip to the show intro, I thought it would be cool to have one of these as a blank so I'm going to strip one of them. Haven't decided which so if anyone has an opinion let me know.

Along the lines of stripping, I started on this raygun that I had, but stopped after I got into it. I initially thought it was blue vinyl with white paint, but turns out its blue and white paints...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I followed your instructions and gave it a shot. Not sure if I was using too little stripper or if I was just being too cautious, but this was about 30 mins of work. I was also using an old red bandana as a rag and it was clearly leaching the dye into the vinyl... Otherwise, seem like I was on the right track? Other than switching to a white towel any tips or feedback? I'm not too worried about the raygun, I'll repaint it someday when I get an airbrush setup, but don't want to muck up the Ultraman.

Case 1:

Case2:

The final shelf on case 2 is a "to go" shelf other than Sofubi Man, which will eventually be the center of the "blanks" shelf. A Sofubi Man surrounded by his creations so to speak (and a Sofubi Woman will join him at some point).

There's also a few pieces not pictured that I'm planning on selling off as, with some exceptions, I'm trying to clear out duplicates; limiting myself to only one of a particular sculpt. Otherwise, Ultraman / Fireman collecting happens, haha. ...and of course the Ultramen on that shelf domino'd on me before I could get a picture. However, also on the bottom shelf of case 2 is some museum putty, which should solve that issue long term. Still want to rig the cases up with LEDs, and I need more risers, but those will have to wait for now.

Cheers!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I love how you have the UFO hanging! What did you use to hang it like that?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Der-Wreck posted:

I love how you have the UFO hanging! What did you use to hang it like that?

I used one of these:

Just stuck it to the roof of the cabinet. It came pre-installed with a hook for hanging, and I wanted it to look like it was floating over all the space dudes. I was going to use fishing line run through some holes in the top of the cabinet, but I didn't have any transparent line, so I went with the command hooks. t's the first time I've tried using one hanging from a vertical surface so I'm not sure how well it'll hold, but for the moment it's "stuck on there good".

The combined length of the hooks hang a bit lower than I would like it too, but it works for now. I'll probably take some pliers to the command hook and try to bend it shorter at some point. I'm always fussing with things here and there, but this was the first big refresh in a while. Pretty tickled with how everything is coming along, particularly with Failson's Janet properly hanging!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Oh good call on the hooks :hmmyes: gonna use that idea. I came up with some jank rear end way to hang up my UFO. Looped some black thread then stuck it to the top with some duct tape. I did it all behind the light bars so the tape wasn’t visible.

It worked! … for a day. Then it fell :doh: guess I shouldn’t use dollar store duct tape.

Failson… I’ve failed you :negative:

Gonna try plan B though and get those hooks. Hopefully the command strips will have stronger adhesive to stay on. Then I think I’m gonna try using the black thread again to hang the ufo from the hooks. I think I can keep it all hidden so it looks like the UFO is hovering.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Oh yeah, that looks awesome!!! An with it tucked behind the lights you'll never see the hook or whatever, good stuff!

Janet has been up for about 18 hours and and is still holding strong. We actually bought a ton of these hooks for various purposes and they've been really handy. I have a metal clothes rack with poles smaller than the width of the adhesive part of the hook / base, so it doesn't attach flush. Even with the minimal surface contact it's holding strong. It's what I currently use to hang a couple of belts. I'd imagine as long as you're not too far over the weight recommendation it'll stick!

One caveot is that in spite of them saying they're safe for painted walls we've had multiple instances where they've pulled the paint off, so I've stopped attaching them straight to painted walls. ...but tile, metal, concrete, etc. have all been just fine.

Edit since you don't have PMs: I can send you a pack if you don't mind covering the couple of bucks shipping. Like I said we bought a bunch of them, lol.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Ah I live in Canada so the shipping would be nasty :argh: I appreciate it though! I’m gonna swing by the ol hardware shop, Canadian Tire, to grab some of these.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ahhh, word. Good luck!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Along the lines of stripping, I started on this raygun that I had, but stopped after I got into it. I initially thought it was blue vinyl with white paint, but turns out its blue and white paints...

I followed your instructions and gave it a shot. Not sure if I was using too little stripper or if I was just being too cautious, but this was about 30 mins of work. I was also using an old red bandana as a rag and it was clearly leaching the dye into the vinyl... Otherwise, seem like I was on the right track? Other than switching to a white towel any tips or feedback? I'm not too worried about the raygun, I'll repaint it someday when I get an airbrush setup, but don't want to muck up the Ultraman.

OOf- sorry yes you have to use plain cotton cloth or the dye will transfer as you found out. I'm sorry I should have clarified more about that (I buy rags from a hardware store that are basically just cut up t-shirt material). You don't have to be TOO precious when stripping- dampen those rags and go at the vinyl vigorously, the paint should come off with a bit of elbow grease. When the rag gets too saturated with old paint, ditch it and get another rag.

Amazing shots of your collection!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

No worries at all. I should have known better, but just grabbed the first clean rag I could find which was that bandana. I actually have a about 20 or 30 clean shop towels in the garage, but those are red too. I don't wear white shirts so oddly enough don't even have one of those to cut up, lol. I'll have to get some dedicated white rags, haha.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Joe Serpico (IG Serp3666 ) is going to auction or sell 3 custom Witch Cat Lulus and half the proceeds will go towards cat shelters in Mexico! He's also going to do the same with a pair of his Neko Raidas as well!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxdv0KBOVmE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 21, 2023

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Oh snap, those are the last 3 red blanks!? I don't have a paint setup as of yet, but was hoping to snag one (and a white) to paint when I did. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Oh snap, those are the last 3 red blanks!? I don't have a paint setup as of yet, but was hoping to snag one (and a white) to paint when I did. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Nope! I have more. You can order from the website.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Word! Awesome!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Turbinosamente posted:

Just saw Monster Patrol Toys is doing a Sunguts drop tonight!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Really liked the green TV dudes, he had at the show but looks like those may be sold out based on the image. He hasn't seemed to do too many of those body / head dudes in the past few years.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LadyPictureShow posted:

Just saw Monster Patrol Toys is doing a Sunguts drop tonight!

poo poo, missed it! Although it looks like the large groupings are what he brought and are still left, I'll have to have a hard think about the medium size group....

Also on vacation which doesn't help matters.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I figured out a solution for hanging my UFO!

Turns out Command has a specific product just for this!

I didn’t realize that I bought a pack that was somehow missing 1 one of the hooks :doh:

This is PERFECT!

I used a bit of black thread. Hopefully that will hold up over time

It looks fantastic. You can’t even notice the thread! The hook is hidden behind the lights too. Even so, it looks a lot better than my duct tape nightmare :downs:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh that rules! I was completely unaware of those as well. Command strips really hold up as well, I don't think you'll have to worry about it failing for years.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Oh nice, those are indeed perfect! Your setup looks awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I found out that the Godzilla US Store recently opened and they had some good options from Bandai’s Movie Monster Collection! I picked up my favorite Kaiju, Mechagodzilla KIRYU

This is the Heavy Duty edition which I believe has a few more paint detailing, specifically on the on the wiring on the limbs and neck.

I also got a neat little bit of extras!

The print is really cool!

I also ordered the Millennium Era Godzilla but that’s a pre-order so still waiting on that. Looking forward to getting that Zilla to go along with my MechaG!