Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
huge incel population in korea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Oh, I haven't mentioned my ex-co-worker who bought into all this poo poo.

He was with me for my first year in Namhae. He moved to Korea because he was a fan of Girls Generation. Particularly Tiffany, (who I think was 19 or 20 at the time). He moved away to take up a hagwon job in Daejon because, (and I quote), "it's too hard finding hot chicks in this country town."

He was also obsessed with learning Korean. His was miles ahead of mine. But he wouldn't speak to anyone, for fear of making a mistake, and in fact would get lovely at me for practicing my Korean in restaurants and bars etc and mispronouncing the odd word, whilst not daring to say a thing himself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

I wonder if Korea would accept those incels who go into minute detail about facial features? Seems similar.

Korean beauty standards are exactly like those incels. Also incels are a major political force nowadays.

I'm sure there was more but the two criticisms I remember of Grace Park is she is fat and her skin is too dark. Dark skin (dark here being defined as anything other than vampire pale) is about the worst feature you can have.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can tell if an ethnically asian woman w makeup is conforming to asian-qua-asian or asian-american makeup standards instantly. slathering whitening stuff on or not

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm sure it's totally unrelated but I saw an article recently about how the majority of Korean women have serious vitamin D deficiency.

E: Joke about the birth rate and incels goes here too.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 19, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats a pan industrialized world phenomenon. 42% americans, 70% korean men and 80% korean women, 45% germany, 90-98% tokyo, 20-80% prc

the nordics barely ever get deficiency anymore because checking for it is omnipresent in primary care, up to the situation in iceland where its just the default to be supplemented because iceland is the frozen asscrack of the world

american mass supplementation is through milk. obviously this doesnt work for non milk drinkers like most nonwhite peeps

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 19, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also hail satan

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats a pan industrialized world phenomenon. 42% americans, 70% korean men and 80% korean women, 45% germany, 90-98% tokyo, 20-80% prc

Those are some pretty wildly different numbers that correspond quite well to the countries where people desperately avoid any contact with the sun and those who don't but are just indoors a lot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nordics are all like 5% even tho the sun never shows its face over there cuz mass supplementation

mass supplementation is a lot easier than getting peeps to go outside in an east asian summer imo. no matter the gender and beauty standards

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 19, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skin whitening cream is a huge thing in India also. The first thing the Indian side of my family asked about both me and my brother when we were born was not "Is the baby healthy?" but "Is the baby fair?" Meaning fair-skinned.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just go ahead and supplement D because you'd have to really go overboard to overdose on it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Wendigee posted:

Gotta replace the x.com with twitter.com if you want it to show

https://twitter.com/waffuport/status/1703028370160931152?s=20

I think this person got the purist/rebel meme mixed up with the D&D alignment chart

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Devils Affricate posted:

I think this person got the purist/rebel meme mixed up with the D&D alignment chart

That’s what makes the chart so funny.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
666 just need 222 more for Lucky~~

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

666 is also very good in china

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Is an eccles cake a mooncake?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Interesting and less in the vein of politics: https://www.readingthechinadream.com/xiang-shais-2023-wealth-forecast.html

(It's very typical fluffy business-influencer stuff with Chinese characteristics, you have to read between the lines a bit - e.g., investment into quality management and experiential consumption makes sense because being able to rapidly scale volume is no longer similarly rewarded)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Atopian posted:

I wonder if Korea would accept those incels who go into minute detail about facial features? Seems similar.

This poo poo annoys me to no end because those dweebs jerk themselves off over having made beauty "objective" (you know the ones I'm referring to, with their gross chart that just basically tossed a normal Indian older woman in as one of their "hideously ugly" examples)

Just because you give something a measurement with some vaguely identifiable features doesn't mean you've actually made it objective, not if the measurements of those features essentially come down to "it feels like good facial elongated posterior eye chasm to me" or whatever the gently caress they're on about. Not to mention that the weights to all of those "objective features of beauty" are just "we feel like this one's important" and that even the ones they pick are just random whatever. That's just not how you make something objective, and it's even a real lovely way of operationalizing it so you can measure something.

And that, even though their little guide tries to look like it's representative of all ethnicities in all categories it comes down to "beautiful for this ethnicity is when they look like a white/Asian woman"

This is a stupid rant because it's super obvious but it's like the perfect storm of things that bug me. I just wanna yell "shut up nerd" and give them a wedgie so bad. Incels are the worst.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ronya posted:

the "three Ds" seem to be the main novelty

Three Deez Nutz

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean beauty standards are exactly like those incels. Also incels are a major political force nowadays.

I'm sure there was more but the two criticisms I remember of Grace Park is she is fat and her skin is too dark. Dark skin (dark here being defined as anything other than vampire pale) is about the worst feature you can have.

Wait...Grace Park who was on Hawaii 5-0? Grace "please, please eat a sandwich" Park? If she's considered "fat", then the eating disorder look must be big in Korea.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Beauty standards are just phrenology by another name and it's seriously hosed up how nationalists all over the world are so obsessed with their races purity. Plus if you could turn on the webcams of all the people complaining about someone elses looks I guarantee their glass house would crumble instantly.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Insert JAV girl graphic of size ratings 0-10, where #4 is “only” anorexic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Wait...Grace Park who was on Hawaii 5-0? Grace "please, please eat a sandwich" Park? If she's considered "fat", then the eating disorder look must be big in Korea.

Yep.

I dunno if it's evolved but the standard when I lived there was 45 kg was the cutoff. Above that was fat. Doesn't matter how tall you are or anything. Any woman over 45 kg is a disgusting monster.

The three cup diet was popular at the time too. You can eat anything you want for your three meals, but each one has to fit inside a little paper Dixie cup. 88 ml servings.

E: If the Korean beauty standards stuff is interesting I read Flawless by Elise Hu recently, can recommend.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
There are few if any places where beauty standards for women are healthy, but plastic surgery reaching the level of acceptance where actually, being born that way isnt an excuse for how you look is like twilight zone levels of insane

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You can't say that without bringing up the meme, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34568674

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Frankly, if with all my money I still can't be the most beautiful person in the room, then we're just going to have to shift the standards so that the most expensive and obvious surgery is the most desirable.

I own some magazines, people will lap it up

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Reminded of this guy who tried to tell me that eating every day was just what Big Food wants you to do, and in fact the healthiest, most ideal way to exist was one meal every three days at the most.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

Reminded of this guy who tried to tell me that eating every day was just what Big Food wants you to do, and in fact the healthiest, most ideal way to exist was one meal every three days at the most.

There have been some studies done that skipping food for a day a week has some tangible health benefits, and no real measured drawbacks in healthy people. Dunno if I could skip one every 3 days.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
if you aren't burning a ton of energy sure skip days go hog wild

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ninjoatse.cx posted:

There have been some studies done that skipping food for a day a week has some tangible health benefits, and no real measured drawbacks in healthy people. Dunno if I could skip one every 3 days.

reread op

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

you're thinking of intermittent fasting and most of those plans do not suggest you skip food for a day entirely, but rather set up a long block of time where you refuse to eat. the easiest version is 12 hrs/12 hrs, and that goes up to basically 8 hrs/16 hrs or so. during a non-eating time, a 50-ish calorie snack is generally considered acceptable to shut your stomach up if you need.

this includes the time you are sleeping of course, so if your sleep cycle is midnight to 8am, you could have an 8 hr eating cycle by simply deciding that your eating window is 2pm - 10pm. i do something very similar when i look to lose weight.

having one meal every 3 days just sounds like the cat talking to kchama was trying to normalize anorexia.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Coalguye and bob dobbs got it. Not skip one day every three days. Eat one meal every three days.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

:doh:

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Coolguye posted:

you're thinking of intermittent fasting and most of those plans do not suggest you skip food for a day entirely, but rather set up a long block of time where you refuse to eat. the easiest version is 12 hrs/12 hrs, and that goes up to basically 8 hrs/16 hrs or so. during a non-eating time, a 50-ish calorie snack is generally considered acceptable to shut your stomach up if you need.

this includes the time you are sleeping of course, so if your sleep cycle is midnight to 8am, you could have an 8 hr eating cycle by simply deciding that your eating window is 2pm - 10pm. i do something very similar when i look to lose weight.

having one meal every 3 days just sounds like the cat talking to kchama was trying to normalize anorexia.

What you're describing is daily intermittent fast, but there have been good, mostly animal model studies on weekly fasting, where you eat <500 calories 1-2 days per week. Profound calorie restrictions of all types tend to improve a lot of cell health markers. Getting humans to do that vs rats is substantially more difficult though.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Dunno how you could do it. Not eating is really difficult culturally, that's an important time with family and friends.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Plus I like to eat when I’m hungry. Going hungry sucks

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The chad cultural powerhouse America, the virgin cultures of Asia. Something something, objectified by sex perverts scale

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ili posted:

Dunno how you could do it. Not eating is really difficult culturally, that's an important time with family and friends.

in terms of personal readiness, you train up to it. even in terms of the intermittent fasting, you start with 12/12 and after a week your body just gets more used to more extended fasts, after a month you can be doing 8/16 or 6/18 without too much trouble. like yeah, you feel kinda hungry, but it's nowhere near as acute or intense as it used to be. you can just ignore it and move on with your day..

in terms of intermittent, you just plan your eating periods around times when you're going to be active and hanging out with people. it's not a big deal to shift your eating period if you wanted to, like if you're expecting to go out with friendsa nd be out until 2am, you can just not eat until 6pm and you still have an 8 hour eating period.

weekly fasting last i heard was actually deprecated in humans in general because our bodies tend to be a lot more protein hungry than rat models, so we tend to lose muscle much more readily with that model of fasting. that might've changed though, nutrition and biology is something nobody ever knows conclusively. that said, in terms of how, you could approach it the same way. get up to an 8/16 and, critically, make sure your eating period stops at least a few hours before bedtime so you become comfortable getting tired and going to sleep on an "empty" stomach. then basically you have a couple of nutrient-dense snacks that you use throughout the day to shut your stomach up when it starts getting too annoying. then you just plan your weekly fast on a tuesday or something when nobody's doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Coolguye posted:

when i did it i went 24 hours between meals every 3rd day, so dinner to dinner. no days without eating entirely

that was a long time ago though (back in 2011 maybe?) so maybe the other way is better