Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Last Celebration posted:

Well gently caress lol. Can you carry over affection between NG+? Or do you need to do seven runs for everyone’s thing, i kinda got the impression by the fact that there was an Accept/Decline prompt that you can just talk to any qualifying member and savescum if you just want the lore and not [Team Attack] 3.

Azure's bonding system is a lot more elaborate than Zero, due to the increased number of characters and while it's possible (if importing a save file) to spread your bonding points enough to have access to all character's events, it's a hassle without a guide, even with the achievement screen now showing the bonding points progress bar per character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I've shared this several times, but it's actually super easy to manage through this. The only hangup is Azure being on Crack and having the end of game catchup event a third of the way into the game for some reason.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zg4LBiym5gRuEWNaJiJBizrwzu_3Q6qz6z_vWCx4igQ/edit

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hwurmp posted:

they're one of the CS3 prologue bosses lmao

They're the training dummy of CS4, :laffo:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Azure Finale: having the context from both Azure/Cold Steel II, lol at the implication that Osborne just let himself get shot as part of a galaxy brained plan that involved Crossbell making GBS threads the bed and becoming a continental superpower for a while so Calvard couldn’t do anything about him being “dead” to get one over on everyone. Like, it was already just kind of crazy knowing he masterminded everything so the Reformer Party could take the gundams the terrorists/Noble Faction made while making sure his enemies broke themselves, this poo poo just elevates it to comical/precognition.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Azure Finale: having the context from both Azure/Cold Steel II, lol at the implication that Osborne just let himself get shot as part of a galaxy brained plan that involved Crossbell making GBS threads the bed and becoming a continental superpower for a while so Calvard couldn’t do anything about him being “dead” to get one over on everyone. Like, it was already just kind of crazy knowing he masterminded everything so the Reformer Party could take the gundams the terrorists/Noble Faction made while making sure his enemies broke themselves, this poo poo just elevates it to comical/precognition.

Well good news, there's an explanation as to how that's managed by the end of CS4, and everyone in here hates it!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I’m pretty sure it took like twenty minutes straight of huddling in a corner but i beat Arianhod. I’m guessing the”Mask Fell Off” is the condition to continue with the story, since her SCraft started doing three times my max health (as opposed to “only” all of it) afterwards on the handful of times it got through the Zero Field.

Wonder how you’d do that fight on Nightmare without it? I guess you can probably survive it in Phase 1 with just defense buffs, and then…Adamantine Wall? Zero Field is so crazy good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIgOggke9z4

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tesseraction posted:

Well good news, there's an explanation as to how that's managed by the end of CS4, and everyone in here hates it!

I don't hate it.

I don't love it. But I do think it's largely not understood correctly.

Also, there's something to be said about it not necessarily being completely masterminded so much as brute forced/endured... when you're more or less invincible and also have way more information than anyone else, you have the luxury of being cavalier and waiting for an opening. Osborne didn't mastermind stuff so much as he already knew certain things and applied unyielding pressure. That's his secret. It's not that he plotted everything out flawlessly, it's that he had an even more overwhelming advantage than anyone realized, to the point that he didn't really need to plot. Barring the one thing he actually did plot against.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I’m in the minority here who likes CS4

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1668530/The_Legend_of_Nayuta_Boundless_Trails/

game out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Played a bit seems decent even though the controls are all wrong

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

$55 CDN is a steep enough price point to give me pause about buying it immediately, especially for a game which I'm not enthusiastic enough to play immediately. I'll keep an eye on it, and the reviews, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 19, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Also, people who are deranged enough to do full npc runs after every bit of plot progress should be disqualified from talking about pacing, because like wtf.

I never did this until Kuro, because it was such a pain in the rear end to keep track of everyone and it ended up feeling like a chore. Kuro adds the wonderful feature of only showing NPCs on the minimap if you haven't already exhausted their dialogue (and the icon over their head always changed from blue to grey once you've exhausted dialogue), so it's easy to talk to everyone. I also think there are fewer NPCs overall - in Kuro there are non-dialogue NPCs walking around in addition to the ones you can talk to, which are identified with an icon over their head.

As a result I'm *way* more invested in the NPCs in this game, though this is partly because Kuro does something somewhat similar to Zero/Azure with having a "core city" that you return to in each chapter (so you get to follow the NPCs there throughout the whole game, and sometimes NPCs from the areas you visit will travel to the capital, or vice versa). I legitimately care about the NPC subplots for at least like 15-20 different NPCs and could probably list most of them off the top of my head. The side quest NPCs also often have their issues foreshadowed in their prior dialogue (and this is sometimes acknowledged when you do the side quest, where the NPC will be like "oh I've met you before").

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Almost up to the end of the first chapter in Nayuta and it's pretty fun so far, pedigree is a lot more Zwei/Gurumin than it is Ys though, food you eat giving you exp as well as restoring health especially reminds me of Zwei 1, and there's much more of an emphasis on platforming puzzles.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Finished Trails from Zero, liked it a LOT (besides some usual annoyances I have with JRPGs in general), some great and funny NPCs.

So many good soundtracks!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Azure, Finale: kinda weird how Lloyd just kinda gets his Meteor Breaker S-Craft where he whips out giant tonfa out of nowhere to do his best giant mech impression, then some hours later you get the cutscene where Lloyd gets Guy’s giant tonfa as part of the story.

Talking just pure gameplay, it’s kinda funny, I beat the first two Cold Steel games first, was regretting how they changed the quartz system from Sky FC because it was conceptually such a cool system, then went back and actually beat Sky FC/SC and remembered thinking “man, I sure miss just equipping a spell and being allowed to cast the spell without finagling with elemental values”, and now that I’m playing Azure specifically I think I’m gonna miss the old value system because master quartz having their own values that grow over time and not being set in stone so that your time-affinity character can only ever use time affinity MQ makes the system work a lot better. It was probably the right call with CS1 having forced party configurations most of the time though, but still kind of a shame that they finally made the old system less cumbersome.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah there are strengths to both, and I appreciate them both. I kinda like the idea of different characters having different orbments that work differently. But it'd probably be a nightmare to implement lol.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 minutes!)

combing the orbment elements together to customize the skills you want in Zero/azure was pretty wild.

worked fine with a small cast, but man, glad it went away, cause trying to juggle all that with every thors students and crossbell and random jaegar people in one game would take hours

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kuro strikes a nice balance. Arts come in sets and the MQ equivalents, Hollow Cores, mostly are just bundles of casting stats with the customization being for the group super mode, Boosting, but if you can finagle around small individual lines that have a point system for little passive bonuses (including what amounts to customizable Links from CS).

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sakurazuka posted:

Almost up to the end of the first chapter in Nayuta and it's pretty fun so far, pedigree is a lot more Zwei/Gurumin than it is Ys though, food you eat giving you exp as well as restoring health especially reminds me of Zwei 1, and there's much more of an emphasis on platforming puzzles.

Guess I'm going to have to check out Zwei and Gurumin, because I'm digging Nayuta so far. Though I do keep having to remind myself it's a 2012 PSP game because my brain keeps chiming in to tell me "wow, this is insanely impressive for a 1999 PSX game". Kind of the same feeling I got with Ys 2 (from the Chronicles+ release), which looks like an amazing 1993 SNES game but the version I was playing was a remake-of-a-remake-of-a-remake-of-a-remake that came out in 2013.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei posted:

Kuro strikes a nice balance. Arts come in sets and the MQ equivalents, Hollow Cores, mostly are just bundles of casting stats with the customization being for the group super mode, Boosting, but if you can finagle around small individual lines that have a point system for little passive bonuses (including what amounts to customizable Links from CS).

Arts coming in sets per quartz sounds good, one of my problems with Cold Steel’s system is that lower elemental spells aren’t generally grandfathered in like Sky/Crossbell unless they came with your MQ, like if your elemental value is high enough for Gigaton Disaster Raid or whatever in Sky/Crossbell you automatically by default have Mega Disaster Raid and Atrocious Raid to cast, and you don’t always wanna drop the 200+ MP on the former.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Azure, Finale: genuinely curious how many people saw the endgame mastermind reveal coming. Maybe there’s some real clever hints I missed but otherwise I call bullshit on anyone who guessed it.

also, goddamn, that’s one of the more brutal owns of an antagonists I’ve seen in a while wrt Dieter, that was some Salt Pale arrow levels of brutality. You hate/love to see it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

which reveal there was a bunch

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

which reveal there was a bunch

”it was me, Grizzly Grim, all along, Dieter!”

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Last Celebration posted:

Azure, Finale: genuinely curious how many people saw the endgame mastermind reveal coming. Maybe there’s some real clever hints I missed but otherwise I call bullshit on anyone who guessed it.

also, goddamn, that’s one of the more brutal owns of an antagonists I’ve seen in a while wrt Dieter, that was some Salt Pale arrow levels of brutality. You hate/love to see it.

If you got all interactions with Nielsen right, Lloyd himself sees it coming before it's revealed.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Reverie
oh, I didn't expect for this game to go into a 'Room of Time and Space' DBZ style strengthening. Everyone just forgetting what's happening on the outside is kind of eh...though.
Apparently this happened before since Rean mentioned it, but I didn't play CS1 and 2.

kind of interesting how a bunch seems to have gotten nerfed in story. Like 3 and 4, everyone was really hyped up. But at the beginning, lloyd and rean are both presented as a long weaker in story now. Lloyd is injured, and Rean needs to gain back his mojo. I guess its an interesting way to do it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

If you got all interactions with Nielsen right, Lloyd himself sees it coming before it's revealed.

Oh huh, i think I do remember Nielsen ruminating on there being a true mastermind, and even thinking “well it has to be someone I met, probably with a face portrait” but I somehow don’t think I talked to him enough despite making the rounds because Lloyd was as flabbergasted as I was.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Reverie
oh, I didn't expect for this game to go into a 'Room of Time and Space' DBZ style strengthening. Everyone just forgetting what's happening on the outside is kind of eh...though.
Apparently this happened before since Rean mentioned it, but I didn't play CS1 and 2.

kind of interesting how a bunch seems to have gotten nerfed in story. Like 3 and 4, everyone was really hyped up. But at the beginning, lloyd and rean are both presented as a long weaker in story now. Lloyd is injured, and Rean needs to gain back his mojo. I guess its an interesting way to do it.

Rean just got promoted to Divine Blade and in FGC terms just entered Diamond League where he now has to fight the Diagos and Sonic Fox’s of Zumeria. And he may have defeated Osborne but he still needed the combine might of Old and New Class 7 to do it, here he only has Kurt for all of 5 minutes before he got Mashima’d. Same with Lloyd, I don’t think he’s ever dough Rufus until now but we all know how strong he is and Rufus had the added bonus of turning the crowd against the SSS to throw Lloyd off his game even more

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Arts coming in sets per quartz sounds good, one of my problems with Cold Steel’s system is that lower elemental spells aren’t generally grandfathered in like Sky/Crossbell unless they came with your MQ, like if your elemental value is high enough for Gigaton Disaster Raid or whatever in Sky/Crossbell you automatically by default have Mega Disaster Raid and Atrocious Raid to cast, and you don’t always wanna drop the 200+ MP on the former.

Arts aren't on quartz at all in Kuro. There's this separate thing called an "Arts Driver" that you equip, that has a preset list of Arts on it (and a variable number of "free slots" where you can equip Arts plug-ins that let you use specific Arts, so you aren't limited to just the Arts on the Driver).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

You also, in the Azure finale chapter, need to
A) Talk to Quint in the graveyard - which I think is when I got an inkling
B) Talk to Pete in Tally's General Store, then after both of those things
C) Try the door to the office.

If you have your 8th and final member of the party with you (Detective Alex Dudley), it's implied that they also get an inkling.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

started reverie and alright SSS team meeting

guys I have long since made peace with the fact that you assholes will throw all my good quartz into the nearest river the second you get time off, and i do appreciate that you have made the effort to bring a basic setup with you. this is a large improvement from lloyd and noel's previous plan of fighting a giant eyeball monster with empty enigmas.

i am begging you to invest in some action 1/2s though.

otoh it is funny how you can tell which character hosed up their loadout when they join right before a boss and just get massively outsped. looking at you Alisa

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Still not sure what the game plan there was wrt Lloyd/Noel leaving their old Enigmas at home just because they received new ones without literally anything in them. Not even a handwavey “the Foundation said they could use the old combat data to make the Enigma V3s better”.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is a conundrum inside a sixty-four-dollar question

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There are many questions the nature of Trails being direct sequels bring into question, such as:
- okay why are my crafts weaker I’m at the end of the game and Lloyd’s self-buff still only gives +25% to stats and only lasts three turns
- why do the enemies drop fuckall sepith, if the level 39 enemies drop 8 [insert element here] sepith then level 41 enemies should drop 9
- why am I still fighting the same enemies that were in these areas before only they’re level 60 now, you even had a built in explanation by saying that those foreign monsters Revache imported became invasive species
- so you aren’t even gonna try to explain my 3000+ sepith of every element being gone, huh

But on the other hand, it was rad as poo poo booting up Cold Steel II, thinking to myself “well let’s see how badly I’ve been nerfed and how much crafts I have to relearn” and seeing I still had all my cool moves even if the numbers seemed off, as was leveling up Rean some and seeing his crappy early game craft from CS1 actually became good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

It is neat that everyone starts at lv100 or whatever in Reverie instead of starting over at lv1 for video game reasons

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

how nice that some things havent changed in Crossbell, like Mystery Drunk Man Over the Door

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

frajaq posted:

how nice that some things havent changed in Crossbell, like Mystery Drunk Man Over the Door

When I was playing Geofront, I treated him like a Trails of Chest story, and called it Trails of Booze.
Wait till you learn his name lmao.

Last Celebration posted:

There are many questions the nature of Trails being direct sequels bring into question, such as:
- okay why are my crafts weaker I’m at the end of the game and Lloyd’s self-buff still only gives +25% to stats and only lasts three turns
- why do the enemies drop fuckall sepith, if the level 39 enemies drop 8 [insert element here] sepith then level 41 enemies should drop 9
- why am I still fighting the same enemies that were in these areas before only they’re level 60 now, you even had a built in explanation by saying that those foreign monsters Revache imported became invasive species
- so you aren’t even gonna try to explain my 3000+ sepith of every element being gone, huh

But on the other hand, it was rad as poo poo booting up Cold Steel II, thinking to myself “well let’s see how badly I’ve been nerfed and how much crafts I have to relearn” and seeing I still had all my cool moves even if the numbers seemed off, as was leveling up Rean some and seeing his crappy early game craft from CS1 actually became good

In the other big coehesive RPG series I'm a huge fan of Game 4 starts by explaining your level 10 again because god hates you for 3's ending.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

In the other big coehesive RPG series I'm a huge fan of Game 4 starts by explaining your level 10 again because god hates you for 3's ending.

Lol, what series is that?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Still not sure what the game plan there was wrt Lloyd/Noel leaving their old Enigmas at home just because they received new ones without literally anything in them. Not even a handwavey “the Foundation said they could use the old combat data to make the Enigma V3s better”.

tbf theirs are probably government-issued so they're likely not allowed to keep the old ones, and I can see crossbell's red tape stopping them from getting the quartz to go with it. but you'd think one of them would be like "hey guys our new enigmas suck rear end can we borrow some quartz" BEFORE they fight a literal demon

e:

Last Celebration posted:

sticking a true/2/ex/whatever at the start/end of a craft's name is a gamble, it'll either be the same thing but slightly stronger or a giant aoe that kills everything. roll the dice

GateOfD posted:

It is neat that everyone starts at lv100 or whatever in Reverie instead of starting over at lv1 for video game reasons

some of the CSIV crew have mysteriously forgotten a few moves though but usually learn them again in like 3-4 levels which is weird but whatever

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 21, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am honestly fine with how Reverie handles it which is "Your character is a higher level and has (crappier) versions of most/all of their skills and you just get the full power back over time." It doesn't explain Quartz but pretty much every Trails game just shrugs it off with your Quartz devices being made by Apple and you need to upgrade every few months and it bricks all your old apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

tbf theirs are probably government-issued so they're likely not allowed to keep the old ones, and I can see crossbell's red tape stopping them from getting the quartz to go with it. but you'd think one of them would be like "hey guys our new enigmas suck rear end can we borrow some quartz" BEFORE they fight a literal demon

e:

sticking a true/2/ex/whatever at the start/end of a craft's name is a gamble, it'll either be the same thing but slightly stronger or a giant aoe that kills everything. roll the dice

some of the CSIV crew have mysteriously forgotten a few moves though but usually learn them again in like 3-4 levels which is weird but whatever

I think a bunch of them are kind of slackers and skipped their daily training and got rusty because of that. especially the ones that seem to just have normal jobs already like Elliot who just goes around playing concerts.