Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

mllaneza posted:

The Rams are probably going to be a middle of the road team. They've got a good defense, and when they aren't up against last season's #1 defense, they have a solid offense. Their rookie WR, Puka Nacua, set a couple of rookie WR records against a great defense. He's going to be a player to watch, and you'll probably see a lot of him on highlight reels.

They aren't winning the division though, not by a long shot.

Yeah, Puka really seems to be the real deal. He's been great.

Yeah, they're not winning the division, but they're not the joke people thought they'd be. I understand it's very early in the season, but this team looks waaay better than last year's team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Healthy Stafford is still one of the best quarterbacks in the NFC, so as long as he stays upright they're going to be in every game.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

Healthy Stafford is still one of the best quarterbacks in the NFC, so as long as he stays upright they're going to be in every game.

Agreed. The o-line has not been poo poo like last year, so things are going well. I hope it stays that way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Rams arent pulling fat drunk guys out of the stands to play OL so yeah I'm not surprised that they're better than last year.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i think everyone just assumed the Rams would collapse cause they went full 97 Marlins to win the Super Bowl but it turns out they still have a great coach and great quarterback

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Cardinals are making a statement about what is or isn't a win in the NFL. It is provocative and decades ahead of its time, appreciated least of all by Caleb Williams

i watched the first half of the game and then switched to red zone for the second half what the hell happened

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

JPrime posted:

i watched the first half of the game and then switched to red zone for the second half what the hell happened

The Giants made one adjustment and the Cardinals stopped playing the defensive sets that worked in the first, their offense completely stopped moving because Dobbs was more or less figured out, and they sold out to stop the run

I knew at halftime, up 20, they'd blow it. I then watched the second half genuinely laughing my rear end off at this team. Gannon is either genuinely a genius that will last a second year and can completely blow this year or (this is much more likely) completely incapable of handling a second half adjustment

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

completely incapable of handling a second half adjustment
It's this, with an added over-reliance on soft zone coverage especially when leading.

He was the perfect guy for the moment if you're the front office and you wanted plausible deniability about tanking. I can't see him being around once Arizona drafts some shiny new offensive weapons

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

shyduck posted:

It's this, with an added over-reliance on soft zone coverage especially when leading.

He was the perfect guy for the moment if you're the front office and you wanted plausible deniability about tanking. I can't see him being around once Arizona drafts some shiny new offensive weapons

His first quarter scripts have been incredibly effective so far and then he seems completely unprepared for playing with a lead. I truly hope this was the Belichick Tree GM sacrificing a year to get real players on a roster basically nobody already in the union wants to play for

The team sucks too but that was clearly by design

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
coaches who can't make second half adjustments are a cardinals tradition

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/john-lynch-salary-cap-space/1656252/

quote:

“Really, we always look at the cap for three years out,” he said. “Obviously, we have all that room this year. But really it’s to create room for future years because we roll everything over. It helps us in future years because it creates some room we’re going to need.”

Restructure contracts in the current year to create future cap space? This is some twistedly brilliant bullshitting of the cap rules.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Giants made one adjustment and the Cardinals stopped playing the defensive sets that worked in the first, their offense completely stopped moving because Dobbs was more or less figured out, and they sold out to stop the run

I knew at halftime, up 20, they'd blow it. I then watched the second half genuinely laughing my rear end off at this team. Gannon is either genuinely a genius that will last a second year and can completely blow this year or (this is much more likely) completely incapable of handling a second half adjustment

as someone who was told to stop complaining about the Eagles' second half performances last season: lol

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I mentioned this last year too, but I have 49ers season tickets so if anyone wants to go see a home game, just PM me here. I have some friends coming for the Seahawks game but I can still probably get some seats for that one.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

OGS-Remix posted:

I mentioned this last year too, but I have 49ers season tickets so if anyone wants to go see a home game, just PM me here. I have some friends coming for the Seahawks game but I can still probably get some seats for that one.

Hey! I would loving love that, I live up in Novato and was hoping to catch a game sometime this season.

I don't have plat but if you could share a way to contact you or hit me up at play.something.awful@gmail.com I would be super super stoked!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coldforge posted:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/john-lynch-salary-cap-space/1656252/

Restructure contracts in the current year to create future cap space? This is some twistedly brilliant bullshitting of the cap rules.

Yeah like also you could go for a one-year rental of some expensive free agents if you wanted, too. It's good to not gently caress up your future with terrible deals, but this statement from Lynch doesn't pass the most basic scrutiny.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

indigi posted:

as someone who was told to stop complaining about the Eagles' second half performances last season: lol

Yeah he's exactly as bad as advertised. They're not going to curb stomp everyone in the first half.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Coldforge posted:

quote:

Currently, Purdy is the third highest-paid quarterback on the 49ers -- behind Sam Darnold and Brandon Allen -- and ranks 81st in the league at $934,253 a year.

lol. I feel like they could toss him an extra mil for the good work or something

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Play posted:

lol. I feel like they could toss him an extra mil for the good work or something

He's making less than Bryce Young was making in college lol

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Play posted:

Doesn't he have to wait until year 3 before they are allowed to restructure/extend.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Flikken posted:

Doesn't he have to wait until year 3 before they are allowed to restructure/extend.

Yeah I think you're right. Bummer for him since it would be 2 years if he had been a UDFA and probably would've gotten a bigger contract in the first place if he was.

Maybe he can get a deal from a local mattress company or something

e: he's way ahead of me I guess

https://twitter.com/cyclonefanatic/status/1704138210643710372

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Brock Purdy is a very Bart Fargo kinda name now that I think about it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Imagine naming your tiny little baby "Brock." What kind of person does that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

His parents were rock type trainers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leperflesh posted:

White people.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Play posted:

Hey! I would loving love that, I live up in Novato and was hoping to catch a game sometime this season.

I don't have plat but if you could share a way to contact you or hit me up at play.something.awful@gmail.com I would be super super stoked!

domo arigato play in novato

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Football Academy time!

There's a very good breakdown of what changed on defense in the second half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQHu6NjcYc

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

it's gotta be short for something, right? Brocktopher? Brockken?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

JPrime posted:

Old English word for "Badger"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

And somehow he didn't play for Wisconsin.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

This tickles me. I never would have guessed.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

OGS-Remix posted:

This, but for Seahawks games. I'm down to sell em at cost to... do we still say goons? I'm going to the Cardinals game in October, but the rest are wide open. The Thanksgiving game ticket prices made my eyeballs fall out of my head though so idk about that one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JPrime posted:

in my head canon he is now and forever Brocktopher Purdy (shortened from Purdestychensenden at ellis island), thank you.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Papercut posted:

He's making less than Bryce Young was making in college lol

I thought this was sarcasm, so I looked it up.

:stare:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

By 2030 it will be very popular to name your kid after NFL champion quarterback Brock Purdy

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Brock's brother Chubba plays for Nebraska, the Purdys are on another level namewise

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

domo arigato play in novato

thank you for that little ditty

please don't come to my house though

JPrime posted:

Brocktafarian.

tbc that's what I am, not his name. im just a humble devotee

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Spoeank posted:

Brock's brother Chubba plays for Nebraska, the Purdys are on another level namewise

It's a nickname, but don't worry, your point still stands.

His real name is Preston

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Fellow Niners goons, does tomorrow's game feel like a trap game? It's my birthday tomorrow and I've never had good luck with my teams playing on that day.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Thursday games are always a poo poo show so who knows but the Niners *should* win handily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Papercut posted:

Thursday games are always a poo poo show so who knows but the Niners *should* win handily

Yup. Without Saquon I don't see how the Giants win, but Thursdays are ridiculous.