Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Samovar posted:

Why is there a flower arrangement called baby breath? That... surely is not the most nice of smells to recall.

Babies smell good, despite being babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

rio posted:

Is this like a real issue having been reported to HR for having a coworker feel bad about something they were told outside of work? I’m curious because I’ve never had to deal with HR (freelance + the organizations I’ve worked for have me in a department but on my own essentially) and I’ve heard that HR is essentially to protect the company rather than the workers anyway.

If this is actually something they could get in trouble for I don’t think I’d ever want to hang out with colleagues outside of work unless they were close friends.

At the very least it should probably come back to bite her in the rear end since sharing details about your love life at work in a way that makes people uncomfortable is an easy HR no-no

Similarly, kitchen lady with the unsocialized co-worker could probably start keeping a work diary and blast off some hostile work environment claims when the job finally gets too lovely for her.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

well why not posted:

Babies smell good, despite being babies.

They smell of poo poo, your brain is just fooling you.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Walking the dogs during national anthem

:911: C O N F O R M :911:

One weird trick to defeat any nation at anything

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

keep punching joe posted:

They smell of poo poo, your brain is just fooling you.

Sometimes if they haven’t shat themselves they smell of milky vomit, which is different but also deeply nauseating.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Funktastic posted:

AITA for telling my son he needs to get over us missing his wedding

This one’s great for the people in the comments arguing that if they really loved their son they would’ve driven 37 hours with 0 breaks.

Is this Maine to Florida or Maine to Texas. Either way, NTA

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Samovar posted:

Why is there a flower arrangement called baby breath? That... surely is not the most nice of smells to recall.

It's not an arrangement, it's those little white ball flowers. I always thought of them as flower arrangement filler. They aren't there to smell good or anything, just fill out the thing.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for yelling at my(f31) sister(f28) over her husband(m28)

quote:

Hello,

This is going to come across as a bit of a rant but I can't help myself. I'm going to start from the start. My sister and I are our parents (m(62), f(59)) only children. My father went to Harvard, and my mother attended Johns Hopkins and works as a pediatrician. I work in the tech industry, and graduated from MIT with a degree in comp-sci.

Meanwhile my sister got pregnant at 20 (they got married at 18), and kept the child, despite our parents saying they would pay for the abortion. My parents stopped paying for her education after that, and for lack of better terms, left her to her own devices. She dropped out, and her husband continued, getting his bachelors in comp-sci 1 year later.

8 years removed from this, I work at a top tech company. I live alone and make over 6 figures. My family have all reconciled, and my sister and her husband have moved back for his work. During dinner last night, the conversation shifted to what their life was like while we were estranged, and my sister brought up how tough it was on their own, but they made it work. During this, they brought up her husbands degrees, and my father and I chuckled when she mentioned he'd gotten his masters degree in comp-sci, as he'd gotten it from one of the worst schools, and got his MBA from an online university, so essentially both were papermills.

Talks then went on to how much he was making, where he mentioned he was set to make over 300k. When hearing this, I was in shock and told him to prove it, to which he asked "why, don't you believe me", and both my father and I both said no. This clearly insulted him a bit and he said he had nothing to prove. We then went back and forth until he said something about half the cost (regarding his degree cost to mine) and double the reward (in regard to his salary to mine, I'd shared my salary with my sister earlier in the year, guess she'd told him). This caused a bit more disagreement, with my father and mother defending me, until they had to go back home as their baby sitter (f 20) had classes the next day.

On their way home, my sister sent me a screenshot of his salary, and told me how disappointed she was in myself and our parents for how we'd acted. I then sent her an angry voice message about why she wouldn't tell me about this earlier, and how she should have defended me because anyone would be in shock with all the facts. She then responded saying my parents and I were bitter because he was more successful than us at a younger age. I then told her to not come to my parents house until both she and her husband apologized. I decided to stay at my parents house for the night as I didnt bring a car, and didn't feel safe walking or calling a taxi late at night. As I was sitting with my parents, my mother then says we were all too hard on them, and he had good reason to be a little boastful considering how we'd treated them. My father and I strongly disagree, as we believe he should have been more respectful all things considered. AITA?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Evil Willow posted:

OP comes off as someone clamouring to prove themselves worthy of the guillotine.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Evil Willow posted:

"Oh, you live a happy life together with your child? Well I have degree and work in the tech industry. Therefore I am better than the both of you."

"What's that? You also have a degree? Multiples in fact. Well they are from a less expensive, so therefore less prestigious university. Also I have a job paying lotsa money. So that makes me still better than you."

"What's that? You earn more than me? Bbbut you have bad degrees, and a child. You must be lying and trying to brag."

"What's that?" You have proof? Well you are clearly the arsehole in this exchange, and must apologize to me for not telling me any of this before hand. Especially in the time we abandoned you and cut you off for daring to try and live your own life."

gently caress I hate this OP and her snooty parents.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA For Cooking Steak In My House?

quote:

To start off, I moved into a house with a friend. We decided to split everything in order to keep our expenses low. I love to cook, and he knew this from the start. I cook chicken, steak, pork, pancakes, ham, raman, etc... As soon as I cooked food for the first time in the house, he asked me if I could leave the window open. I understood, and I obliged. After about 2-3weeks of being fully moved in, he insisted I open the sliding back door as well. He asked a little more directly, but still somewhat politely. He just doesn't like the smell of cooking. So I obviously respected that since we share the space.

Fast forward about a month or two, I foget to leave the sliding door open, but still have the kitchen window open. He comes down the stairs and slams the door open and says "Open the loving door when you cook!". Then he stomps back upstairs. I was quit shocked that he was that angry, especially since it was mearly just an accident.

He the comes home one day with plastic bags and tape. He proceeds to tape every vent up in the house, just so he can try avoiding the smell of cooking. The house starts looking like a nut house. He gets more distant and short tempered when I cook food. U

Eventually we both get into relationships and our SO's move in with us. My bf and I start cooking, and so does his bf. He gets more and more upset. He would stomp downstairs when we cook and slam the sliding door and/or window open fully, even if its like 90% open. Followed by a "open the loving door/window!". My bf and I decided to even invest in a $60 snail fan to help blow the scent out quicker.

Finally, one day I had a very long day at work, and I got home pretty late. I cooked a steak around 10pm, ate, and then went to bed. While I was at work the day after, he asked if I could start cooking only outside. Which I refused, because I've done nothing but try and try to be respectful as possible, but I still need to eat. It's a house we both pay an equal amount for. I am going to cook in my own house. He starts to argue and says he can't get any sleep at night without a clean shirt over his face and that all of his clothes are starting to smell like steak (his room isnt even close to the kitchen.)

Well when I get home, i find that all of the burners are off the stove. The stove was disconnected from the gas and powered off. He hid them and refused to give them back, and told me I'm only cooking outside from now on. I told him not everyone can survive off of avocados, peanuts, berries, and beef jerky. He just became smug as if he won, even though I did everything I could to respect the fact he didn't like the smell. AITA?

tldr: My roommate doesn't like the smell of cooking. So he took the burners off the stove and disconnected the gas because I refused to cook outside.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Lol time to get a wok burner and get really into Thai cooking.

My Thai chef friend has a delicious recipe we like to call Riot Prawns, due to the CS Gas like miasma it creates in the kitchen space. Completely delicious and worth the pain.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I see these “everyone stared daggers at me because I didn’t stand for the national anthem” thing and it’s weird because I go to the local MLB baseball games quite often and I have literally just sat through the anthem while playing on my phone every single time. At some point during the game the do another thing where you stand for veterans or whatever while someone sings and I just keep sitting because I just don’t give a poo poo.

I have yet to be given a death threat for disrespecting our country or troops or have drinks thrown at me or even seen anyone staring at me because nobody is paying attention to me.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Arsenal (I think) played a pre-season friendly in the US and one the players nearly bursts out laughing after some jets flew over during the national anthem. Very strange thing to do, it has to be said.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

greazeball posted:

Well poo poo. That post was like 150 words, you can't expect me to remember all that first thing in the morning

'I ran across the flower display and saw a set of roses that I thought were beautiful together and I wanted my wife to have them. Later that night, I was told that "I brought her homework" because now she has to do something with them to make them presentable' - it doesn't even imply he didn't trim them and put them in a vase, rather than just slamming them on the table. Personally I'd be a bit upset if I did something like that as a nice thought for my wife (as opposed to some kind of apology thing or whatever) and got yelled at for it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Whorelord posted:

Arsenal (I think) played a pre-season friendly in the US and one the players nearly bursts out laughing after some jets flew over during the national anthem. Very strange thing to do, it has to be said.
See also Stephen Fry at the Iron Bowl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPeGPwGKe8

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I see these “everyone stared daggers at me because I didn’t stand for the national anthem” thing and it’s weird because I go to the local MLB baseball games quite often and I have literally just sat through the anthem while playing on my phone every single time. At some point during the game the do another thing where you stand for veterans or whatever while someone sings and I just keep sitting because I just don’t give a poo poo.

I have yet to be given a death threat for disrespecting our country or troops or have drinks thrown at me or even seen anyone staring at me because nobody is paying attention to me.

I don't have a link handy but there was a recent tweet about some cops rousting some unhoused peoples somewhere in the US who all froze and got the flagfuckers thousand yard stare when someone started playing the anthem and it was so loving bizarre.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My buddy and I got kicked out of a minor league baseball game for not stopping and taking our hats off for the national anthem lol

gently caress the national anthem

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Just keep a recording of the anthem handy and play it when your crystal meth operation is raided. The frozen cops, hats off, glaring at you as you make good your escape.

It's one weird trick!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I (23M) brought up open relationship to gf (24F)…ended horribly

quote:

Been dating her for 3 years. Basically last night I just said “would you ever think about opening the relationship?” I didn’t think anything of it, was just asking out of curiosity, nothing serious

Her facial expression immediately dropped and she was silent for a bit and then was like “why would you ask me that?” I explained I was just curious, but she kept saying “why would you ask me that?” over and over a couple times and then said “you don’t realize what you just did”

I was like wtf and she basically stormed out of the room. I followed her asking what was going on and she said “that’s a relationship-ending question”. I was kinda freaking out at this point and said she can’t trust me after I’ve asked that, started asking if I “have anyone in mind” and started saying one of my female coworker’s names but she dropped it (absolutely nothing has happened that is out of line with this coworker fyi, and she’s never brought it up before). When I tell you this woman was seething…

Long story short she said she would always wonder if I truly wanted monogamy and she could “never trust me again” and now I’m single. I apologized profusely, told her I only want her, reassured her as much as I could but nothing worked. Even said she can read any exchange between my coworker and I but she said if she “needed to do that then there is not enough trust”

Is there anything I can do to win her back? She’s stuck with me through a lot, I want to marry this woman. I feel lost

TL;DR: Gf ended relationship after I asked out of curiosity about open relationships. How can I gain her trust again?

great job, duder. just magnificent fuckin work

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I mean, I've asked people that question as well, simply out of curiosity (not as a leading question) and they didn't blow up. But I guess he should have known her better if it was such a big deal to her

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Um. Yeah. If simply asking that equals instant dumping after three years I feel like there were other issues there under the surface.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I believe the redditor who innocently and not at all hopefully asked his long term girlfriend if she wanted to open the relationship, just for a laugh, out of curiosity. Definitely no ulterior motives there, no sir!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i mean the gf even knew who he had in mind. homeboy was not being as subtle or innocent as he thought

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Biplane posted:

I don't have a link handy but there was a recent tweet about some cops rousting some unhoused peoples somewhere in the US who all froze and got the flagfuckers thousand yard stare when someone started playing the anthem and it was so loving bizarre.

That’s probably because a huge portion of the unhoused population in the US are veterans.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Walking the dogs during national anthem

:911: C O N F O R M :911:

I would have reacted to their death stare by holding their gaze steadily as I took a knee

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That’s probably because a huge portion of the unhoused population in the US are veterans.

I meant the cops all froze in place, not the unhoused.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is the daily ritual of the pledge of allegiance still a thing in US schools or just a TV trope? I remember we always had to sing hymns and say lunch time prayers at the faith school I attended and looking back it's culty as hell.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

All American academic institutions are papermills you absolute loving rube, accept your mistake with some goddamn dignity. 1,000 years acid guillotine on Mars.

Pirate Radar posted:

It works like this when they play the Thai national anthem on the public speakers in Bangkok every morning and evening. You have to stop walking and take off your hat if you’re wearing one.

Do they still show the weird propaganda film before the feature at movie theaters now that the king is dead? That poo poo gave me the creeps for the longest time before I suddenly started finding him charismatic, dignified, and regal (no idea why).

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 20, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Samovar posted:

You think that's bad? Orchids are named after the Greek word for the testicle.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Biplane posted:

Oh, well then.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Biplane posted:

Oh I read it as the poor people being told they can’t sleep there stopped in the middle of being arrested to salute the flag because patriotism über alles.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Charles Leclerc posted:

Is the daily ritual of the pledge of allegiance still a thing in US schools or just a TV trope? I remember we always had to sing hymns and say lunch time prayers at the faith school I attended and looking back it's culty as hell.

I’m an old now but it’s prolly still a thing for school all the way through high school. Like it always has been. After 9/11 all the schools I went to started adding a moment of silence right after the pledge. I wonder if they still do that part.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh I read it as the poor people being told they can’t sleep there stopped in the middle of being arrested to salute the flag because patriotism über alles.

That was my bad. I thought I heard an anthem and had a small stroke as I was posting

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

greazeball posted:

You're right, but he didn't do any of that. He bought some flowers and then just dropped them on the table and said it's the wife's job to make them look nice, strongly implied that she should go out and buy some more stuff for the arrangement and even called it homework. So he made up a job for her to do and is expecting praise because flowers = good boy.

read the post again, none of the “homework” part was his idea.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I also found that post incomprehensible and guessed incorrectly at what they meant

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sever.

AITA for not wanting to work with my ex-boyfriend and forcing him to commute further

quote:

I (23) have an ex-boyfriend John (29). I broke up with him 3 years ago. John took the breakup very badly and refused to accept my decision for a long time. Because of that I started NC, which he took even worse.

During NC I studied, moved to the capital and found my dream job (it's a very unique job connected to my hobby). A year ago John contacted me again, asking if I wanted to meet for a coffee as friends. As it turned out, he wanted get back together. I told him I still feel the same and that I have a boyfriend (one of my colleagues). He was disappointed but accepted it.

John figured out where I work and started going to our place regularly as a customer. I couldn't do anything about it but after a year I would even say that we have established a somewhat friendly relationship.

John showed great interest in the content of my work. He said that he would like to work in our company, but in a branch that is about 12 miles away so that we don't work together. A few weeks ago he asked me if my boyfriend would mind if we all happened to work together (in our team of 10 people) and I said probably yes, but it would definitely make ME uncomfortable.

Yesterday, my boss came to me asking if I don't know John by any chance and if he isn't my ex-boyfriend, whom I once told him about. It turned out that John applied to our branch. The boss asked me if I wanted to work with him and I said no; but that I will refer him to a branch 12 miles away. The boss said that he has an interview with him tomorrow and that if he likes him, he will recommend him elsewhere, but that he will definitely not work in our team.

I asked John why he wanted to work at our branch even though I told him it would make me uncomfortable. He replied that he thought I wasn't serious about that and that he has finally gotten over our breakup and that he plans to move to a new apartment located 15 minutes from our branch (he wants to live super close to me and my boyfriend). He doesn't want to commute to the other branch and he thought that I'll be fine with his decision. Well I am not and now he thinks I am an rear end in a top hat for making him commute further and potentially destroying his chances to get this job.

Not only that but more people (including my boyfriend) are kinda on his side and think I shouldn't mind working with him if we both moved on.

AITA?

AITA for not wanting this kid to open my presents and later photoshopping him out of a photo?

quote:

I just had my baby Shower and I tried really hard to make it a women’s only event in the beginning besides my son (5M). It was small and only having friends and family but everyone started inviting along their husbands/boyfriends and their children.

Finally, I said whatever to avoid conflict and I had my fiancé come to the shower as well.

When it came time to open presents I had told my son previously that he could help me open some for his baby brother and I thought it would be a great opportunity to get some really cute photos of me, my son, and my fiancé in front of the balloon arch and decorations.

Another little boy (6M) who is close with my son eagerly asked his mom “Can I open presents too?!” To which his mom replied “Oh! That sounds like a great idea! Go ask OP” and when the little boy ran up to me I didn’t know how to tell him no. My mom and my friend tried speaking to his mom quietly without the kid hearing but she insisted “OP wouldn’t mind my son is a sweet kid he’d be so happy doing the presents”

To be clear NOTHING was said in front of the child or with him being able to hear. Needless to say that kid was able to open most of my presents and was in every photo.

Nobody got any photos of just me and my small family because this kid would not leave my sons side (they’re friends so I get it)

I bit my tongue and sucked it up and later used photoshop to remove the other kid so I could have a photo of just me, my son, and my fiancé. The mother is very upset with me saying I shouldn’t have removed her son from the photos and that it hurts her feelings I would so easily exclude her son. AITA?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 20, 2023

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lone Goat posted:

You think that's bad? Orchids are named after the Greek word for the testicle.

So that's why rigs (colts with an undescended testicle) are called cryptorchids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

So that's why rigs (colts with an undescended testicle) are called cryptorchids.

New band name found.

Welcome the Cryptorchids, and their new hit sing, How's It Not Hanging?

WIBTA if I (30F) talk to my sister (33F) about how much screen time my niece and nephew are getting?

quote:

It's pretty much there in the title.

Sister has two kids. Niece (2) and nephew (14 weeks). Niece will have as much as 6 hours of screen time on an average day. This has been the case since before her 1st birthday. Nephew will be placed in a bouncer or on a lap/pillow in front of the TV.

Now, niece will lose it if she doesn't get to watch her shows. It doesn't matter if we are doing something in a different room, totally unrelated. She will tantrum until it gets put on. Niece will state she wants to watch her show by repeating the word she associates with it (like bluey) and my sister will immediately oblige, she says it's too hard otherwise.

Niece is literally a zombie glued to the tv screen. She will stand as close as possible and just completely zone out. You cannot talk to her or get her attention AT ALL when something is on. And good luck turning it off. Any time my sister needs niece to do anything at all, there has to be a screen with a show on or she will refuse and tantrum. So if you need to change nappy, put on shoes, eat dinner, whatever it may be, there is a screen playing her shows.

New research has come out confirming how bad screen time is for the development of babies/toddlers/children. I'm really worried about niece and nephew. I've tried talking to sister about concerning things in the past, like drinking nearly every day while pregnant, etc. She always says thanks for the concern and nothing changes.

So Reddit, WIBTA if I share the research with sister about screen time?

Do we count computer or phones as screen time? Because I usually tap out at a single movie or show, but the computer/phone feels more engaging.