Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I see the actor clearly but my brain keeps telling me it's blue Elon Musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress.

This is what I wanted since this series began. This episode delivered on every count.

Holy poo poo.

Visually knocked it out the park with just about everything. This episode stands above all the others so far. I am glad they didn’t delay finding Ezra. That actor has NAILED him. Jesus I am so happy to see him translate perfectly. Things moved along at a decent pace and we got something to actually wonder about now! Who betrays who. Who dies. What happens when they get back.

Can’t wait for next week.

One nitpick is that dog bonding immediately with Sabine but it is what it is. No time to show the usual tropes of them hating each other but bonding over like finding food or healing an injury.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 20, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe Sabine was faking but you couldn't actually in good conscience just abandon that bat wolf thing when the saddle and gear was still strapped to it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Lobok posted:

Maybe Sabine was faking but you couldn't actually in good conscience just abandon that bat wolf thing when the saddle and gear was still strapped to it.

I think it would go home not just be lost in the wild

But it was too sweet to really abandon

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Parkingtigers posted:

Do you think some of those Stormtroopers are now zombies resurrected by the space witches?

What were they moving out of the crypt? They looked like tech coffins. I could see them having the Nightsisters convert their fallen comrades into useable zombie fodder. Would be a a viable unique army versus a repeat of clones.

Was not sure what to make of Peridia at first. Having humanoid Nightsisters originate in a different galaxy presents some interesting questions about humans in the main galaxy. But maybe their ancestors were not necessarily human, the giant statues were humanoid but maybe not human. Perhaps the space travel cross pollinated those Nightsister species. The Zabrak Nightbrothers might provide a clue to that.

The rest of Peridia sapient species not speaking Basic was an interesting nod to the foreigness of humans.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 20, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Thaumaturgical Donators

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Parkingtigers posted:

Agreed. I'm very Volume-aware these days, to the point it actively takes me out of a bunch of shows. All the other Star Wars have been bad at using it. This episode was some of the very best use of things, especially on those mist covered mountain shots which made the whole thing look like location shooting in the Scottish highlands. I know it wasn't, and it's not 100% perfect, but it was close enough that my brain was able to paper over the cracks rather than shoving a crowbar in and screaming at me that it's fake.

Out of curiosity, what's your problem with it? I haven't seen all the SW tv shows but my only problem with the volume is it gives the appearance of shooting in a bunch of places but can't do any long/wide shots. There's also not much verticality and the lighting is pretty flat (like most CGI focused productions).

But all of that's stuff that already happens with most TV productions anyways. Of am I not noticing some other flaws?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Enoch having the plague mask from Kingdom of Heaven made me think the stormtroopers got space leprosy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The volume also isn't great at doing bright daylight.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It was bad and obvious in some of ObiWan

It's been mostly just fine in this show, it's mostly just the new hot thing to look for and complain about

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So this episode is doing things the volume is great at doing, same things that made it work so well for Mando season 1, and 2.

The Volume(stagecraft or whatever the gently caress they call it now) in and of itself is a useful and great piece of tech, but dear god has it just been a square peg being battered into a round hole for all of Disney's poo poo.

It's when you like cheap out, and get far far too ambitious for the budget that it completely falls apart.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your problem with it? I haven't seen all the SW tv shows but my only problem with the volume is it gives the appearance of shooting in a bunch of places but can't do any long/wide shots. There's also not much verticality and the lighting is pretty flat (like most CGI focused productions).

But all of that's stuff that already happens with most TV productions anyways. Of am I not noticing some other flaws?
My issue is camera movement avoiding dynamic angles that expose the height limitation of it.

It's not the worst thing ever by default, it's just one of those things where you start seeing it, you can't stop. Especially when Andor specifically didn't do it.

Filoni did a good job in the episode before hiding that by cutting to a lot full-effect shots that weren't limited, making it a little less noticeable.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Hermit Crab Ewoks!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It helps when they really vary the ground terrain height like real ground on the stage. It was kind of noticeable last week in the flashback scenes, since it was all flat sandy terrain. It wasn’t super bad though, since it was smokey and had a dream haze to it anyway.

This week I noted how they varied the ground level a whole lot, with Sabine walking up an incline and then back down. They did a pretty good job with it on Seatos as well, with varied ground level and a lot of “real” foreground trees and logs.

The series has probably been using Stagecraft most consistently well. They’re like 95% of the way there most of the time, with it becoming more in your face only a few times. I don’t think they done any on location work, other than maybe some sets dressed up outside in their former railroad lot that Mando also uses.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
For Mando S3 they said they were doing more set+green screen stuff than previously because of some of the limitations with the tech.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jesus why did the show have to spin its wheels so long for us to get this episode? How is it possible the same people made 1-5 also made this episode. The quality jump is insane.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stegosnaurlax posted:

He's got that reluctant bad guy thing down

“Do you comprehend the value of the plasma in your blaster?”

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Teek posted:

What were they moving out of the crypt? They looked like tech coffins. I could see them having the Nightsisters convert their fallen comrades into useable zombie fodder. Would be a a viable unique army versus a repeat of clones.

This was my assumption. I usually hate zombie stuff, but nightsister stuff is different enough I guess, so sure let's have some zombie troopers. The kintsugi gave a great effect to the night troopers though.

I never realized Thrawn's actor was the same voice actor in Rebels for some reason. It sounded to me like he has a bit more of a chiss hiss with his cadence in live action. Makeup and everything is perfect too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sabine stop being mean to the doggy.

She started mean, but moved very quickly to being disappointed with it, not angry at it. Expressing disappointment is how you get someone to want to please you, there is the promise of praise. Anger always leaves at least a shred of wanting to watch you fail spectacularly, anger can only promise an abatement of abuse.

For the rest of the episode...

BANG BANG BANG BANG

That's this episode nailing the Epsiode IV look and vibe. Throw a film grain effect on a scene of Sabine and the howler and send it back to 1978 as a "deleted scene"; people would be wondering why she wasn't in the actual movie. The whole episode was a love letter to A New Hope. A character actually said "far, far away." Hell, it was the episode title. Filoni put this out of the park. Lucas hired him to make more Star Wars. Here it is at his best.

Here's a final test. Can you picture Owen Lars rolling up to the Nibi encampment in a landspeeder with Luke and buying some droids?

I sure can.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping that a new galaxy would look different. Not necessarily a fan of having the Nightsisters come from that planet, and definitely not a fan of the idea that they're aware of Jedis and hate them.

Might as well be another planet in the Star Wars galaxy.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok now I want HK-47 and Huyang to meet.

There is no way they wouldn't have assuming hk47 followed revan around when they were a jedi because hk47 is circa 3500bby and huyang was built 25000bby

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It makes sense that they can't dawdle too long on Sabine reuniting with Ezra, but it felt pretty silly that she's set loose on this huge, untamed planet and manages to find him in like two hours.

Everything else about the episode was cool though. Cinematic as hell, great scenery-chewing, and the night troopers look neat. Enoch's helmet and the kintsugi armor (which even makes practical sense since they have to repair what they've got to work with) are going to open up lots of cosplay options, I'm sure

xerxus posted:

I was hoping that a new galaxy would look different. Not necessarily a fan of having the Nightsisters come from that planet, and definitely not a fan of the idea that they're aware of Jedis and hate them.

Might as well be another planet in the Star Wars galaxy.

Oh yeah, that part was also a bit of a letdown. If you're going to introduce a whole separate galaxy, you gotta get real weird with it, not make it look like decrepit ruins planet #563. And is this the first time they've mentioned the Nightsisters originating from outside the galaxy?

404notfound fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 20, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lovin' these character intros

Thrawn: gets a huge buildup with a Star Destroyer and Night Trooper parade

Ezra: camera moves slightly to the left

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

One nitpick is that dog bonding immediately with Sabine but it is what it is. No time to show the usual tropes of them hating each other but bonding over like finding food or healing an injury.

Dogs know a good guy when they see one and It's been surrounded by bad guys for yoda knows how long

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If baby yoda can eat the eggs, then the dog from willow can eat at least one of the crab guys

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I was just thinking those Stormtroopers must be awfully nice handlers for the Howler to be so docile and friendly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ezra: "you gonna tell me how you got here?"

Sabine: "these sketchy ex-jedi of dubious allegiance made an unholy three way pact with me and Thrawn. They are probably tracking us right now and no longer have reason to keep us alive" "naw"

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

404notfound posted:

And is this the first time they've mentioned the Nightsisters originating from outside the galaxy?

Yes, but canonically the Zabraks aren't.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

404notfound posted:

And is this the first time they've mentioned the Nightsisters originating from outside the galaxy?

Yep - it's new lore. Historically the Nightsisters (and other witch clans on Dathomir) were descended from the survivors of a Jedi training ship that crashed on the planet a few hundred years before the movies.

However, they seem to be pulling from some Dathomir lore that suggests that the planet's other inhabitants (a race of devolved reptilian creatures who used to be a powerful interstellar empire) originated from outside the galaxy, so it's not totally out of left field.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is that who the highwaymen were?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

There is no way they wouldn't have assuming hk47 followed revan around when they were a jedi because hk47 is circa 3500bby and huyang was built 25000bby

Stupid writing. 25000 years is such an absurdly long time. How are they even going to try to write someone who has existed for that long?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

is that who the highwaymen were?

No, they seem to just be random aliens in samurai cosplay. They did use Tusken sound effects a couple of times during the fight, but I don't think we should necessarily read into that. It would kind of suck if every mysterious group from the saga all originated on this one planet in a nearby galaxy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"it was Tattooine all along?"

"always was"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Marsupial Ape posted:

How much should I read into the image of the Nightsister spire penetrating a Star Destroyer, or should I turn off my critical viewing instincts for that one?

I think it's more of an Eaglemoss model display stand

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was a weird episode for me. It looked great, I loved some of the stuff they did like the Star Destroyer and Stormtroopers being battered to gently caress and repaired and re-repaired and held together with gold and the survivors having clearly established a (highly encouraged by him) cult of worship for Thrawn, and I particularly liked the portrayal of Thrawn, those pauses where he clearly calculates how much he wants to say in any given situation, like that wait before he decides it is better to admit his reduced troop numbers to Morgan than to risk more men than he can afford to lose in order to present power etc.

But also... some stuff just fell weirdly flat. The Ezra/Sabine reunion didn't feel like a reunion between close friends/found family separated for years and an entire galaxy who believed they would never see each other again. I think it was symptomatic of a wider issue I had in that nothing about the episode really felt to me like it was truly alien/a sign of a whole other galaxy. It was just another Star Wars planet with weird little aliens and some ancient ruins and mysterious powers like you can find all over the usual Star Wars galaxy, Sabine even seemed to somewhat understand the basic language of the little turtle dude at points. I don't know, given they went to another galaxy entirely from their own, I expected them to feel more out of their element but this planet even has its own Tuskens!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Robot Style posted:

Yep - it's new lore. Historically the Nightsisters (and other witch clans on Dathomir) were descended from the survivors of a Jedi training ship that crashed on the planet a few hundred years before the movies.

However, they seem to be pulling from some Dathomir lore that suggests that the planet's other inhabitants (a race of devolved reptilian creatures who used to be a powerful interstellar empire) originated from outside the galaxy, so it's not totally out of left field.

It would be funny if the Witches of Dathomir stole their name and culture the same way the Sith did with... well the Sith

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I may be thinking too scientifically about this, but I don't get the complaint about the planet/galaxy being just another planet. That's how the universe works, same basic building blocks following the same laws of physics.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Teek posted:

Having humanoid Nightsisters originate in a different galaxy presents some interesting questions about humans in the main galaxy.

At the very least, it provides a plausible reason why their relationship with the Force (or their "magic") is so different than what we see with Jedi and Sith.
It's like some platypus-type parallel evolution thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the issue is that Star Wars already has off-the-map locations like Wild Space and the Unknown Regions, so having the characters go to a completely different galaxy and not make it any different seems like a waste. It doesn't need to be adhering to different laws of physics or anything, but a planet populated by primitive tribes and nomadic raiders isn't really something that's out of the ordinary for Star Wars, and right now it just seems like the only reason they introduced the other galaxy is to explain why Nightsister magick can do different things than Jedi powers.

When the series has featured extragalactic societies in the past, they've been things that didn't otherwise exist in the Star Wars setting. The Yuuzhan Vong grew all their technology biologically and existed outside the Force. The Abominor and Silentium were mysterious machine cultures that destroyed their own galaxy fighting each other. The Kwa were an ancient precursor race that built stargates instead of using hyperdrives.

Who knows - maybe Skeleton Crew (given that the premise is about a bunch of kids getting lost in space) will explore the new galaxy more and we'll find out that it's actually got a wholly unique society and political situation going on, but so far it's a little underwhelming.